BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #45
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
you can always code ASD off easily, as for valves open/closed that's something I feel a button is appropriate for an M car
Sure, if you can change the sounds of the actual exhaust then it sounds good.
you can change the cabin ASD, as for the exhaust it has a valve you can open/close. you're not changing anything other than if it's essentially muffled or more open just like most BMWs
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #46
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Super Cool!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #47
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

Thanks for the post. Looks like its PB for me.
      01-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #48
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
you can change the cabin ASD, as for the exhaust it has a valve you can open/close. you're not changing anything other than if it's essentially muffled or more open just like most BMWs
Best is to unplug the ASD. S58 sounds pretty good without the ASD, at least in X3M.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #49
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
Hi together,

So as promised I will tell you my first impression of driving this beast.
I was lucky to test drive the car, in Switzerland they already offer it at the Driving Experience Center from BMW in Dielsdorf.
It was the M4 Competition in Portimao Blue with the CB Seats and Black interior.

I refer to the questions from M-SPORT in my original thread "My G80 Order".

1. Flooring from the stand
Unfortunately i wasn't able to test it from 0, but I did a "rolling start" from about 20 Km/h all the way up and it reacted pretty quickly with the downkick, so would say good.

2. Twisty roads
Depending on what steering conf you have (comfort or sport) it reacts very different. the comfort is very smooth but still quiet "direct" so you alway know where you are pointing and the car does what you tell it to do. Sport is harder, directer. Not as good as in the Giulia (as comparsion) but still very good imo.

3. Shifts
The shifts are very quick, doesn't matter if up or down you don't even feel it really it's just there. So would say a good job with the ZF !

4. Exhaust sound
So first of all I like the sound. not too loud but a good sound especially in the sport plus modus. You can now switch the interior forced sound manually off with a button on the console which is pretty nice imo. In the stand if you open the windows you hear it very good and a clean sporty sound. Can't really compare with an F80 as there was none there.

5. CB Seats
Don't know why in the other thread people complain about it. I'm quiet chubby (1.78m, 97kg) and I felt very comfortable in it. You stick in the seat, you can electrically change like everything, also the cheecks on the side which where on the max for me of course but I liked them! only thing may "bother" is the carbon "thing" between the legs. When you move your leg you can feel it. It doesn't hurt nor is it uncomfortable but you feel it. During the driving I didn't really notice as I was concentrated on other stuff...so my opinion:
GO FOR IT! It's worth and they look incredibely beautiful !

p.s. getting in and out can bother as you have to take care and kind of "jump" over the edge..the leather will wear out if you "slide" always in and out. So a negative point...

6. Additional from me: Suspension

The suspension was awesome. In comfort you didn't feel the humps of the street (ok to be fair the streets in switzerland are like the best in the world haha) and in sports you really could feel everything and the car was very stiff. also shooting the car in the corner it was stiff as hell and I was always in control of the car. And i'm no professional racing driver...so you can give it, hard...the car can and will take it. I would also say how you feel in the car, the car actually begs you to run it high. BUT:
You do feel the increased weight, thats physics...but they did a lot to help it sort it out the issue with the stiffness of the car if you know what I mean.

Overall conclusion:
If you buy it you certainly don't do anything wrong. The grill will grow on people, trust me...seeing in person is like seeing a different car.

Happy weekend !

Attachment 2502647

Attachment 2502648

Attachment 2502649

Attachment 2502650

Attachment 2502651

Attachment 2502652
Cool, sounds very good and thanks for writeup

So have to call my dealer tomorrow to also go for a test drive
I was there a month ago for checking out a frozen portimao blue M4, but it still was closed room, so no driving back then...

btw: Do you by chance have a straight front pic? Would like to see the CH version for the number plate mount a bit better, as everything up to now was either without plates or the big EU plate version
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #50
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
The small single piston rear calipers and the ugly front end are a massive turn off for me.
zamboni1124.50
      01-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #51
blackmamba3
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3, 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435i_Phil View Post
The small single piston rear calipers and the ugly front end are a massive turn off for me.
Haters are going to hate! The new cars are already better in almost every imaginable way, yet small rear brakes and of course the "ugly front" is all the hater club can talk about...
Appreciate 3
VIERsr2620.50
Nkr151120.50
russell21147.00
      01-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #52
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
I understand that people can't take my "review" somehow serious because of the car I own, but just to say that doesn't mean I have never driven a performance car.
I drove several times the N55 (in a tuned stage as well with over 440bhp) and the B58 which are cars owned by friends of mine. So I at least have this as reference, altough it's a couple of months ago. And did you drive the Giulia QV?
Don't think anyone can say this car has no power.

Of course i'm not an F80 owner and would be better if someone who owns one compares them. I just wanted to share my impression with the car and I absoloutely love it. Push the throttle and you get pressed in the seat. Breaking power is awesome, cornering is awesome. I tried to write down what I felt what in my opinion is important like stiffness, comfort and most important CONTROL of the car.

I got absoloutely blown away by the power of the car, for sure one who drives a 911 GT2RS thinks "meh" when sitting in an M3/M4.

I smiled, all the time. That's what I wanted and I got it. I hope you guys can get a ride soon and share your impressions, very interested in reading different opinions!

p.s.
there was a question about CF Trim and Portimao Blue:
In person it looks stunning! I go for the CF Package, interior and exteriror. Also in the interior it matches very well with the black interior.
And Portimao Blue fits this car veeeeery good. In the show room was also a SPY M4, I liked the Blue much more on this car.

and p.p.s.

Consider that impressions are always subjective.
I am not a professional car reviewer, I just thought you guys might be interested to read a first feeling from a forum member, didn't want to trigger anyone
Don't bother to much, there will always be an ask for „more accurate" comparison.

Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated!

I think it gives the best „feeling" impressions of the car than anything else available at the moment. And this is one big point of car buying (for me), how it feels and not caring too much about if it is heavier / bigger than the old and so on...
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2021, 11:07 AM   #53
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Every single N20/B48 owner I've known gets absolutely blown away the first time they get in a B58, even with just a slight throttle tap in traffic.

From what I'm reading from the OP, the S58 with the new M3 doesn't remotely give that kind of sensation.

It seems BMW doesn't fix the turbo lag yet.
This is just a silly comment. Going into a b58 from b48 I wouldn't say I was blown away driving it. This is not to knock the b58, it's super quick for the class but the transmission is just so smooth that you don't really feel the speed or even get thrown back. It's just an overall great car, I believe best in class, with minimal drama. Now if you think they are going to sell a m3/m4 that has less performance than the b58 then you must be crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #54
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Maybe I missed it but how does the power delivery feel in comparison to a G20 M340 or 440? Does it have that smooth delivery or feel more violent? In My 340 it sometimes will throw you back some but it depends whether I'm in manual mode or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #55
Kinglagos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

I own a tuned 420i and drove a buddy's F82 and was amazingly not blown away. It was certainly way quicker and felt much stiffer etc, but it wasn't the difference between driving a ford and a bmw for example. The gap there is much greater imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #56
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba3 View Post
Haters are going to hate! The new cars are already better in almost every imaginable way, yet small rear brakes and of course the "ugly front" is all the hater club can talk about...
First off, I'm glad that it took 3 pages for someone to mention the grill. Meaning we can generally talk about other aspects of the car now.
Second, the G8X is not "better in almost every imaginable way." That's simply hilariously wrong, in almost, every imaginable way. Outside of the looks, which are subjective, the new car gained a substantial amount of weight and no longer comes with a dual clutch but a traditional automatic tranny. The brakes are substantially smaller. Let's not go overboard here.

OP, thank you for the honest review. Were you blown away by it? Would you want to replace your current car with it or would you want to try something else altogether? You mentioned the Guilia, did you drive the QV? If you did, can you give us a comparison between the two?

Last edited by Bumpinjeep; 01-11-2021 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: wrote objective but meant subjective
Appreciate 1
zamboni1124.50
      01-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #57
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
btw: Do you by chance have a straight front pic? Would like to see the CH version for the number plate mount a bit better, as everything up to now was either without plates or the big EU plate version

Quote:
But most fo all, BMW has been using that ugly little single-piston caliper since 2011 on the M5 F10 (needed for the electric parking brake), but they're only complaining about it now
Appreciate 4
Scorp!on1510.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
JustChris17424.50
      01-11-2021, 11:39 AM   #58
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435i_Phil View Post
It's just my opinion. For a car that is 80k, it seems like a step backwards. Especially since the C8 (which I find boring) even has fixed rears. I'm also not a fan of the C8 design but I digress.
zamboni1124.50
      01-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #59
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Quote:

Quote:
But most fo all, BMW has been using that ugly little single-piston caliper since 2011 on the M5 F10 (needed for the electric parking brake), but they're only complaining about it now
I used to always complain about that. I never understood it, Brembo makes fixed rears with an integrated parking brake. I guess the accountants run the M division.
      01-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #60
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post

Great, thanks s lot!!

And again, luckily we have such small plates here
Appreciate 2
VIERsr2620.50
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #61
lnwlf7
Enlisted Member
Monaco
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 JB 6MT, M2 MG DCT, 525d

Garage List
2002 BMW 525i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
No an no again. The grill doesn't grow on me. I will skip this generation.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #62
lnwlf7
Enlisted Member
Monaco
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 JB 6MT, M2 MG DCT, 525d

Garage List
2002 BMW 525i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Great, thanks s lot!!

And again, luckily we have such small plates here
ugly with this black plate holder
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #63
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

VIERsr

Thank you for posting the pics, I don't have any decent from the front!

TruthOne
Hard to say for me as I never drove a G20..
In Sports mode it is violent in my opinion..turbo lag is a thing but not like "no power no power no power FULL POWER" if you know what I mean.
In my opinion it delievered constantly good amount of power through all the RPM. Depending on the mode you drive it is more aggressive or less.

But for me i always felt how much to push the throttle and most important for me I felt in control of it, it was not snappy or something.

heckyeahbro69
Yes it is Portimao Blue

Regarding the small caliper:
I couldn't care less. As long as the braking performance is given..ok it doesn't look "woah" but I personally don't care at all as long as the car has a good braking performance. And the brake-by-wire system is amazing!
I mean you can set the brake sensivity, how awesome is that??
Appreciate 3
Dzo76.00
TruthOne1081.00
      01-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #64
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post

OP, thank you for the honest review. Were you blown away by it? Would you want to replace your current car with it or would you want to try something else altogether? You mentioned the Guilia, did you drive the QV? If you did, can you give us a comparison between the two?
You're welcome
I was totally blown away by it!
I want and I do replace my current car with this. I had a really good offer for the Giulia QV (which I also tried, so yes it was the QV) since I work somehow for them so the price difference was massiv but I still go for the BMW.
2 Main Reasons:
Manual Transmission
Quality

For sure the Alfa is an awesome, brutal car with lots of Power but the BMW offers a lot more especially helpful stuff for daily driver.

If comparing this two cars together I would say:

Power delivery and control of the Power is much better on the BMW. In the Alfa I somehow didn't gain confidence in pushing because I never knew what the heck the rear is going to do. It is a massiv amount of Power and you feel it. BMW you feel it as well but it always gave me the confidence to be in control of it.

The steering of the Alfa on the other hand is better. It feels very direct, almost like a Go-Kart and this was pretty awesome.

Sound of the Alfa is better imo.

But from the power delivery I had the feeling that BMW releases the power more constant as the Alfa just came at some point going full but on low rev you had nothing.

I hope you understand what I write, it's difficult for me to write down feelings in english

However:
Overall the BMW is way better. To be fair, it is the newer car as the Alfa is on the Market already a couple of years.
Appreciate 3
Bumpinjeep5363.50
EXE462097.00
      01-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #65
WestCoast76
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Thanks for sharing your feedback !

I do like going to the Brand Experience Center as well

Cheers from Schaffhausen

Edit: By the way, I currently own a G21 M340i in Portimao blue but I'm going to change to a G20 M340i in Marina Bay Blue... My dealer asked my if a M3 would be an alternative and I must admit that your pictures are very appealing but I do prefer the front face of my G20
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #66
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Very nice combo .... I wish every other BMW wasnt in that color otherwise i'd really consider it. Thanx for the insight anyway !
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00