Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Have you ever let someone off a ticket out of Christmas spirit?

What's the most tickets an individual racked up in a night? For example you issued it but they did it again intentionally or by mistake so you had to issue another?

What do you like most about your job?
I have let people off with warnings for a variety of reasons, Christmas included. These days I've resigned myself to not looking for trouble and only answering calls for service. The last 4 months have put me into career survival mode. I'm actually looking to leave patrol by next summer and seek an assignment that is not patrol oriented. It's just not worth it to be on patrol anymore in my humble opinion. I can go into it more if you're interested.

I used to enjoy being on patrol, helping people and making change, however small. My goal was to eventually make it to Special Victim's and help victims of rape, human trafficking, etc., but with the defund movement in full force, our SVB has been nixed along with every other special division we had.

As for the ticket inquiry....

....I can't recall a time where I wrote multiple tickets to the same person at different times during the shift, but I can recall a time where I should've taken someone to jail, but I let them go and ended up responding to their residence an hour later and arresting them. That's what I get for being nice.
Yes I'm interested. Pray do tell.
This career is great.......was great. It has always been a risk-reward proposition buoyed by great compensation and a good retirement, the latter two references adding incentive for placing ourselves in danger every shift and being willing to die for something larger than ourselves. Additionally, qualified immunity allowed for us to be able to make mistakes made in good faith without the fear of callous legal ramifications and/or prosecution. Essentially it allowed us to be human. The current climate expects perfection from law enforcement; an unrealistic expectation. Couple that with the very real proposition of losing our pensions, a reduction of resources due to the "defund the police" movement and body cameras designed to allow hindsight criticism of highly dangerous, rapidly evolving and fluid situations, and you have a recipe for career disaster. It was bad enough that one incident in your career would likely lead to termination or forced retirement. Now, one incident will likely lead to an officer being charged with murder, for example, over a textbook and easily justified shooting (...e.g...criminal points gun at officer, officer shoots criminal, it's all caught on camera and the criminal's gun was recovered at the scene, but the officer gets charged with murder. WTF?!?!).

I was told many years ago by older officers that they "felt for me and others who were just beginning their careers." They went on to state that the world was no longer friendly nor respectful towards law enforcement and that I/we'd have a very difficult time bridging the chasm. These officers also stated they would never have chosen to become cops in today's world. Fast forward many years and I finally understand what they meant. It isn't worth it, and I feel for those applying and trying to get hired in a world that becomes more unfriendly by the day.

Ultimately there will be people in uniform to carry the torch, but disenchantment awaits them. It's unfortunate because the vast majority of us enter this profession to do good things and protect innocent people. We are not flawless, but we are full of heart and we enjoy being of service. It's unfortunate that we are just pawns in a much larger scheme.
Appreciate 14
Soul_Glo13282.50
Dang3r12503.00
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614883.50
Hawkeye2069.50
Reborn_292.00
rebekahb3128.50
upstatedoc7555.50
TrevorM33317.50
paliknight2186.50
scostu1619.50
cmyx6go15561.50
      07-09-2020, 05:51 AM   #1058
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
This career is great.......was great. It has always been a risk-reward proposition buoyed by great compensation and a good retirement, the latter two references adding incentive for placing ourselves in danger every shift and being willing to die for something larger than ourselves. Additionally, qualified immunity allowed for us to be able to make mistakes made in good faith without the fear of callous legal ramifications and/or prosecution. Essentially it allowed us to be human. The current climate expects perfection from law enforcement; an unrealistic expectation. Couple that with the very real proposition of losing our pensions, a reduction of resources due to the "defund the police" movement and body cameras designed to allow hindsight criticism of highly dangerous, rapidly evolving and fluid situations, and you have a recipe for career disaster. It was bad enough that one incident in your career would likely lead to termination or forced retirement. Now, one incident will likely lead to an officer being charged with murder, for example, over a textbook and easily justified shooting (...e.g...criminal points gun at officer, officer shoots criminal, it's all caught on camera and the criminal's gun was recovered at the scene, but the officer gets charged with murder. WTF?!?!).

I was told many years ago by older officers that they "felt for me and others who were just beginning their careers." They went on to state that the world was no longer friendly nor respectful towards law enforcement and that I/we'd have a very difficult time bridging the chasm. These officers also stated they would never have chosen to become cops in today's world. Fast forward many years and I finally understand what they meant. It isn't worth it, and I feel for those applying and trying to get hired in a world that becomes more unfriendly by the day.

Ultimately there will be people in uniform to carry the torch, but disenchantment awaits them. It's unfortunate because the vast majority of us enter this profession to do good things and protect innocent people. We are not flawless, but we are full of heart and we enjoy being of service. It's unfortunate that we are just pawns in a much larger scheme.
I agree with everything you said my friend. The sad part is that what is happening is not what the vast majority of folks want but because of the actions of a small militant group who are supported by the MSM and virtue signalling politicians. Take care of yourself and those you work with. Stay safe.
Appreciate 5
vreihen1614883.50
Sedan_Clan24809.50
jmack548.50
paliknight2186.50
cmyx6go15561.50
      07-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #1059
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:

I agree with everything you said my friend. The sad part is that what is happening is not what the vast majority of folks want but because of the actions of a small militant group who are supported by the MSM and virtue signalling politicians. Take care of yourself and those you work with. Stay safe.
Thank you Sir! I will definitely watch my back and the backs of my partners I work with. I've begun the countdown. I will be transferring to the courts or to the county hospital jail ward next summer. We are on a freeze currently due to the defund, but as soon as movement opens up I will be adding myself to the transfer list.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
cmyx6go15561.50
      07-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #1060
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Do you ever get tired of dealing with the scum of society?
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      07-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #1061
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Per California Vehicle Code 21806(a)(1), vehicles shall yield to the right to make room for emergency vehicles. In those instances you needn't worry about violating the various other CVC's. We realize that your movement was performed for emergency purposes.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I was referring to this;

"Two sets of solid double yellow lines spaced two or more feet apart are considered a barrier. You may not drive on or over this barrier, or make a left turn or U-turn across it, except at designated openings."

I should have been clearer. Is opposing traffic still supposed to pull over for emergency vehicle. No ticket or anything, just curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #1062
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
shhhh... he's sleeping
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #1063
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
You did the right thing. Kudos to you. You maximized both your safety and the officer's safety all while improving visibility with regards to oncoming traffic.
That ONE time, DECADES ago, when I went to traffic school: The officer told us, (specific to actual add-on to someones ticket I think), that HE decides when it was safe to pull over, and that's why he turns on his lights when he does. HE decides when it is safe for all parties involved to pull over.

So, when you are in a marked car, does it drive you crazy that everyone slows down in front of you, just because you are in a marked vehicle? I watched it last night driving home: we are all cruising along right at the speed limit, CHP comes up from behind, EVERYONE slows down 5-10 mph. I had to as well, flow of traffic and all.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #1064
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Every darn day. Some people just never learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Quote:
Per California Vehicle Code 21806(a)(1), vehicles shall yield to the right to make room for emergency vehicles. In those instances you needn't worry about violating the various other CVC's. We realize that your movement was performed for emergency purposes.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I was referring to this;

"Two sets of solid double yellow lines spaced two or more feet apart are considered a barrier. You may not drive on or over this barrier, or make a left turn or U-turn across it, except at designated openings."

I should have been clearer. Is opposing traffic still supposed to pull over for emergency vehicle. No ticket or anything, just curiosity.
Yes, you still need to pull over because sometimes we drive into the lanes of opposing traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
shhhh... he's sleeping
I totally was knocked out. Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
You did the right thing. Kudos to you. You maximized both your safety and the officer's safety all while improving visibility with regards to oncoming traffic.
That ONE time, DECADES ago, when I went to traffic school: The officer told us, (specific to actual add-on to someones ticket I think), that HE decides when it was safe to pull over, and that's why he turns on his lights when he does. HE decides when it is safe for all parties involved to pull over.

So, when you are in a marked car, does it drive you crazy that everyone slows down in front of you, just because you are in a marked vehicle? I watched it last night driving home: we are all cruising along right at the speed limit, CHP comes up from behind, EVERYONE slows down 5-10 mph. I had to as well, flow of traffic and all.
If I want a motorist to pull over on the spot, I would just instruct them to do so over the PA system. Normally I can tell if a person is looking for safe spot to pull over, so I give them time to do it.

I do hate when traffic slows down like that. Normally I would exit the freeway, wait a few minutes and then merge back onto the freeway.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      07-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #1065
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Normally I would exit the freeway, wait a few minutes and then merge back onto the freeway.
Yesterday was a surface street
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #1066
quick6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

What can you tell us about the 'sickout" that supposedly took place over 4th of July weekend as reported in the papers?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #1067
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick6 View Post
What can you tell us about the 'sickout" that supposedly took place over 4th of July weekend as reported in the papers?
I think many departments experienced a "blue flu" movement over the weekend. I think it'll continue to happen as more and more officers feel ostracized by the community and unsupported by their departments.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
paliknight2186.50
      07-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #1068
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thank you Sir! I will definitely watch my back and the backs of my partners I work with. I've begun the countdown. I will be transferring to the courts or to the county hospital jail ward next summer. We are on a freeze currently due to the defund, but as soon as movement opens up I will be adding myself to the transfer list.
I missed uniform when I left it, and I still do. The greatest show on earth and you get a front row seat every night. You will have great stories to tell and will always look at things differently than everyone else. It sounds like it's time for you to move to something else. No shame in that, you've paid your dues.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      07-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #1069
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Daytime running lights

When driving on a section of road that requires daytime headlights, are we ok with just the daytime running lights, or do we technically have to turn on the actual headlights?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      07-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #1070
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
When driving on a section of road that requires daytime headlights, are we ok with just the daytime running lights, or do we technically have to turn on the actual headlights?
The CVC states headlights, but I don't think any officer is going to sweat you over a DRL as long as the DRL is easily visible from a distance.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #1071
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I give lectures and donate to a local retired NYPD Lodge. They gave me a really nice PBA badge. Would it serve me any good to use it if I ever get pulled over? I haven't gotten a moving violation in at least six years, and I'm not planning on it. But the gas pedal of my M3 sometimes gets mashed to the floor.
Sedan_Clan24809.50
upstatedoc7555.50
      07-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #1072
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I give lectures and donate to a local retired NYPD Lodge. They gave me a really nice PBA badge. Would it serve me any good to use it if I ever get pulled over? I haven't gotten a moving violation in at least six years, and I'm not planning on it. But the gas pedal of my M3 sometimes gets mashed to the floor.
In places where the PBA card is acknowledged, use it!!! It doesn't hurt. In a world absent support for LEO's these days, a friendly face is welcomed, even if the interaction is negative (....negative meaning a "lawful detention").
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614883.50
upstatedoc7555.50
Murf99314114.00
      07-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #1073
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
The CVC states headlights, but I don't think any officer is going to sweat you over a DRL as long as the DRL is easily visible from a distance.
Thanks very much!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      07-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #1074
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
What exactly is the point of this law? (I ASSume that you are referring to a state law where you must turn on your headlights in a construction zone, just like the laws are popping up in Pennsylvania and some other east coast states.)

My DW worked (more like survived!) as a construction flagger for over 10 years, and she doesn't see the point from a worker safety perspective. The first time that I saw the signs in a Pennsylvania construction zone, my thought was that it is a signal for any police assigned to the construction zone that the person saw the construction signs so they couldn't plead that they didn't when yanked for speeding. With LED DRL's being common in most newer cars that are specifically designed to attract attention during the day, this doesn't make sense.

If you asked my DW, she'd say that the money spent for those silly signs by other states would have been better spent on "HANG UP AND DRIVE, MORON!" signs.....
      07-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #1075
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
What exactly is the point of this law? (I ASSume that you are referring to a state law where you must turn on your headlights in a construction zone, just like the laws are popping up in Pennsylvania and some other east coast states.)

My DW worked (more like survived!) as a construction flagger for over 10 years, and she doesn't see the point from a worker safety perspective. The first time that I saw the signs in a Pennsylvania construction zone, my thought was that it is a signal for any police assigned to the construction zone that the person saw the construction signs so they couldn't plead that they didn't when yanked for speeding. With LED DRL's being common in most newer cars that are specifically designed to attract attention during the day, this doesn't make sense.

If you asked my DW, she'd say that the money spent for those silly signs by other states would have been better spent on "HANG UP AND DRIVE, MORON!" signs.....
We have many roads where headlights are required, including desert and mountain roads. It's a visibility thing.

With regards to LED's and DRL's, most vehicles on the road are still equipped with halogens. Look at the cars on the freeway at night. I would estimate over 80% are halogens. This became apparent to me when I would wait on on-ramps in a patrol vehicle and watch traffic.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      07-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #1076
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thank you to all LEOS, as a POC it's sad to see many making excuses in previous pages. (Redscythe whatever his name is) Some people will work for what they want in life, others will make excuses and cry about the system & never focus on faults within their own cultures.

On a sidenote hopefully this whole hating the police as a trend thing will die down soon. Call me bold but most of the people on this trend are on it because of social pressure. Once people begin thinking for themselves they'll open their eyes.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
Sedan_Clan24809.50
paliknight2186.50
      07-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #1077
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Thank you to all LEOS, as a POC it's sad to see many making excuses in previous pages. (Redscythe whatever his name is) Some people will work for what they want in life, others will make excuses and cry about the system & never focus on faults within their own cultures.

On a sidenote hopefully this whole hating the police as a trend thing will die down soon. Call me bold but most of the people on this trend are on it because of social pressure. Once people begin thinking for themselves they'll open their eyes.
I hope you're right. I think a small minority of people are taking all the oxygen right now, they are getting the support of all the virtue signalling politicians and MSM but don't really represent the silent majority. I'm afraid were getting to a place where the silent majority might have to make themselves and their views known. Politicians primary function is to get re-elected, (their view of things) and they need to know that the folks that get out and vote for them, democrats and republican tax payers want safe communities. The time is coming to let your political leaders how you feel.

Thank you for your comment, north of the border isn't seeing the unrest you folks in the US are but we suffer from the same political correctness at the expense of the majority.

Peace.
Appreciate 3
davidr3447.50
Sedan_Clan24809.50
paliknight2186.50
      07-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #1078
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I hope you're right. I think a small minority of people are taking all the oxygen right now, they are getting the support of all the virtue signalling politicians and MSM but don't really represent the silent majority. I'm afraid were getting to a place where the silent majority might have to make themselves and their views known. Politicians primary function is to get re-elected, (their view of things) and they need to know that the folks that get out and vote for them, democrats and republican tax payers want safe communities. The time is coming to let your political leaders how you feel.

Thank you for your comment, north of the border isn't seeing the unrest you folks in the US are but we suffer from the same political correctness at the expense of the majority.

Peace.
Wait for the silent majority to truly get sick of the shit going on. They won't be so silent and they'll still hold the majority.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614883.50
paliknight2186.50