11-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #1277
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast.F10 View Post
A past encounter I had, was it justifiable?

While my E60 was in the shop, the shop owner let me borrow his older M5 for my daily commute since my E60 was going to be in the shop for about 2 weeks getting mods installed as well as new bearings. I did a cash transaction with the owner and on the night before I was set to pickup my E60, I went to the ATM around the corner from my house to collect more funds (2 different accounts in total $800.00). While pulling out from 7-11 at/around 9:00pm, I noted a police officer about a block away parked (looking for violators) in the medium where I was turning on to. By default I always come to a dead stop at stop signs (no rolling stops since I was t-bones a few years ago and totaled my car; no my fault for reference; guy ran his stop sign) and since I saw the officer sitting there, I even recall counting to 2 or 3 seconds before I turned onto the road. Made a left hand turn about 400feet from pulling out from 7-11 and was quickly pulled over. After being greeted at the window by the officer and her seeing the $800 on the passenger seat she stated I was pulled over for a possible drug transaction in which she said she saw someone hand me something as I exited 7-11 and not stopping at the stop sign and then collected by drivers license/owners registration and insurance card and returned to her patrol car. I did note there as a younger lady hanging out front of 7-11 but didnt even look twice or speak to her. Nor could the patrol car see this area from where she was parked. After about 5 minutes of sitting in the car, 2 other police cars showed up all with lights on. Original officer was parked behind me, 1 pulled in front of me, and one at the rear corner panel of the loaner car. I was asked to step out, walk backwards to the rear and they placed me in handcuffs at the rear of the M5. Then a K9 unit arrived and did a sweep of the M5 as well as officers searching inside. I had to show them how to open the center console as they could not figure it out. I was informed that the K9 hit on something and the mood of the officers quickly changed to more aggressive questioning/mood. After about 30-45 minutes of being in handcuffs, they said all was clear and let me go.

I felt this was an unjustified stop/search and I contacted my local Police station the following day to question it. A few days later I received a call from a Sergent (I believe) and apologized about the event and noted that this area is known for drug trafficking. Really...i've lived in this same area/subdivision (which is about 1/2 mile from 7-11...if that) for over 20years.

A cliff note to this: informed my wife that I was running upto 7-11 real quick and to keep an eye on my 1yr old son. Not being allowed to call her for from my stand point on an unwarranted stop REALLY pissed me off.

Whats our kind Officers in this thread take on this?
It's quite possibly true that....
  • The stop was a reach by that officer.
  • The officer actually thought something transpired.
  • It's a high crime/drug trafficking area.

Despite having lived in the area for 20 years, there's an underbelly to your city that you may not be privy to.

In the area(s) that I patrol, a casual drive through would have you believe that it's a nice area to be in. Negative!!! It amazes me because as I drive to the station I always find myself looking at problem spots and saying to myself, "Nobody would ever guess that X, Y and Z always happens at that place."
Even in my own city - a really nice suburban area with a fairly affluent resident base - there's a cocaine underbelly that I only became aware of because I knew somebody who was a part of that party/drug scene. High crime areas are even a part of case law, allowing for traffic stops, etc. You having the lump sum of cash was also an articulable reason to investigate, not because it's a crime, but because you had it after leaving a location known for drug transactions.
Appreciate 2
Fast.F10512.50
Murf99314114.00
      11-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #1278
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
sounds like a confession
Have to catch me in the act to mean anything (I would never operate a motor vehicle at excessive speeds on public roads).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #1279
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Definitely. I take care of my Watch Deputy/Dispatcher. Take care of them and they'll take care of you.

I'm friends with all our Dispatchers. And yes you do have to be nice to them especially when it's your Friday.
      11-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #1280
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Quote:
Definitely. I take care of my Watch Deputy/Dispatcher. Take care of them and they'll take care of you.

I'm friends with all our Dispatchers. And yes you do have to be nice to them especially when it's your Friday.
You're with RSO right?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #1281
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You're with RSO right?
Affirm!! MOVAL!
      11-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #1282
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Quote:
You're with RSO right?
Affirm!! MOVAL!
I remember when you got on.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #1283
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Its been 12 years already and loving it.
      11-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #1284
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

What station are you assigned to? or is it 10-35.
      11-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #1285
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
It's quite possibly true that....
  • The stop was a reach by that officer.
  • The officer actually thought something transpired.
  • It's a high crime/drug trafficking area.

Despite having lived in the area for 20 years, there's an underbelly to your city that you may not be privy to.

In the area(s) that I patrol, a casual drive through would have you believe that it's a nice area to be in. Negative!!! It amazes me because as I drive to the station I always find myself looking at problem spots and saying to myself, "Nobody would ever guess that X, Y and Z always happens at that place."
Even in my own city - a really nice suburban area with a fairly affluent resident base - there's a cocaine underbelly that I only became aware of because I knew somebody who was a part of that party/drug scene. High crime areas are even a part of case law, allowing for traffic stops, etc. You having the lump sum of cash was also an articulable reason to investigate, not because it's a crime, but because you had it after leaving a location known for drug transactions.
Just quoting this as I learned of something similar today: So, I've always thought that the place I'm in is nice and drug-free, with drug problems being a Miami thing.
Friends who've lived here a lot longer burst that bubble for me and informed me that the next couple of towns over have serious drug undertones, pills, coke, what not.
I'm fairly oblivious most of the times - only thing I can detect is the smell of weed - "hey, it smells like an xyz concert"
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24830.50
Murf99314114.00
      11-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #1286
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

FYI for the people that didn't know... Drugs(like coke, pills, etc, even when not a problem, are usually common) are in every city no matter how big or small
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24830.50
paquet629.50
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614907.50
      11-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #1287
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

About that right turn thing: Driver making a right turn is SUPPOSED to turn into the closest lane. On a 2-3 lane road, I'm always tempted to make my left turn onto that same road ASSUMING the right-hander will go into the correct lane.

IF we smack, who is at fault? Or is it shared since I didn't ensure that lane was available?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #1288
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
About that right turn thing: Driver making a right turn is SUPPOSED to turn into the closest lane. On a 2-3 lane road, I'm always tempted to make my left turn onto that same road ASSUMING the right-hander will go into the correct lane.

IF we smack, who is at fault? Or is it shared since I didn't ensure that lane was available?
When making a left turn you should turn into the left lane if it's a multi lane road you are turning onto. When making a right turn onto a multi lane road you turn into the right or curb lane. If these two events are happening at the same time there should be now issue, the problem always occurs when one of the drivers wants to move to the right or left shortly after the turn, so that's what you are talking about, and you can't move into another lane that is already occupied unless it is safe to do so. Having said that, there was an intersection close to where I used to live, and just past if for those turning left or right going southbound was an on ramp to the highway on the right hand side, about 80% of the folks making the left turn would turn straight into the curb lane. If they hit someone they'd be at fault. I was always careful to stay in the curb lane and also watch out for them because it seemed many weren't watching out for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #1289
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
When making a left turn you should turn into the left lane if it's a multi lane road you are turning onto. When making a right turn onto a multi lane road you turn into the right or curb lane. If these two events are happening at the same time there should be now issue, the problem always occurs when one of the drivers wants to move to the right or left shortly after the turn, so that's what you are talking about, and you can't move into another lane that is already occupied unless it is safe to do so. Having said that, there was an intersection close to where I used to live, and just past if for those turning left or right going southbound was an on ramp to the highway on the right hand side, about 80% of the folks making the left turn would turn straight into the curb lane. If they hit someone they'd be at fault. I was always careful to stay in the curb lane and also watch out for them because it seemed many weren't watching out for me.
Sedan would have to confirm, but I *THINK* in Cali, the right turn has to go into the curb lane, but the left is free to enter any open lane. REGARDLESS of what's nearby, very few people making right turns want to expend that extra energy to turn the wheel more and stay in the curb lane. . . best I can figure.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      11-13-2020, 05:56 AM   #1290
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Sedan would have to confirm, but I *THINK* in Cali, the right turn has to go into the curb lane, but the left is free to enter any open lane. REGARDLESS of what's nearby, very few people making right turns want to expend that extra energy to turn the wheel more and stay in the curb lane. . . best I can figure.
22100(b) CVC outlines left turns; 22100(a) CVC and the accompanying subsections outline right turns.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      11-13-2020, 06:31 AM   #1291
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
FYI for the people that didn't know... Drugs(like coke, pills, etc, even when not a problem, are usually common) are in every city no matter how big or small

who actually doesn't know this? America is one giant crackhead.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:36 AM   #1292
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Hey Sedan my friend - i'm just curious - i'm sure this has already been asked - but what do you wish more of us citizens understood about the job you have? And how can we be more supportive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24830.50
Murf99314114.00
      11-13-2020, 06:41 AM   #1293
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Hey Sedan my friend - i'm just curious - i'm sure this has already been asked - but what do you wish more of us citizens understood about the job you have? And how can we be more supportive?
Truthfully......

....that the narratives presented/depicted by the media regarding use(s) of force are bullshit. If I could take every person I knew on a ride along - all liability waived - and have them handle the dangerous calls, they would finally have perspective. Tonight we pulled a gun off of a 13 year old Hispanic female runaway; 105 lbs. soaked and wet. She called dispatch claiming she was lost and didn't know how to get home. A search of her person netted a gun; I noticed a suspicious bulge under her black hoodie. You would've never guessed somebody like her would have a Walther tucked in her underwear.

I think the community could be more supportive by just allowing investigations to take their natural course before vilifying the cop. A body cam doesn't paint the entire picture and the insight it provides is helpful, but limited.
Appreciate 9
Murf99314114.00
paquet629.50
jmack548.50
vreihen1614907.50
upstatedoc7555.50
rebekahb3128.50
jamesinaz1627.00
      11-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #1294
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Truthfully......

....that the narratives presented/depicted by the media regarding use(s) of force are bullshit. If I could take every person I knew on a ride along - all liability waived - and have them handle the dangerous calls, they would finally have perspective. Tonight we pulled a gun off of a 13 year old Hispanic female runaway; 105 lbs. soaked and wet. She called dispatch claiming she was lost and didn't know how to get home. A search of her person netted a gun; I noticed a suspicious bulge under her black hoodie. You would've never guessed somebody like her would have a Walther tucked in her underwear.

I think the community could be more supportive by just allowing investigations to take their natural course before vilifying the cop. A body cam doesn't provide the whole story and the insight it provides kid helpful, but limited.
I remember we used to take people on ride alongs, but were told to keep it sanitized. I would love to take some of the critics of policing out to see the real deal.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24830.50
      11-13-2020, 06:51 AM   #1295
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Truthfully......

I think the community could be more supportive by just allowing investigations to take their natural course before vilifying the cop. A body cam doesn't provide the whole story and the insight it provides kid helpful, but limited.
I remember we used to take people on ride alongs, but were told to keep it sanitized. I would love to take some of the critics of policing out to see the real deal.
They sanitize ours as well, mainly because of liability. We don't really hunt and they try not to sling hot calls to cars with R/A's unless the R/A is a custody deputy preparing to come to patrol or recruits about to graduate the academy. The department doesn't want to get sued because some civilian ride along catches a bullet.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      11-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #1296
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
They sanitize ours as well, mainly because of liability. We don't really hunt and they try not to sling hot calls to cars with R/A's unless the R/A is a custody deputy preparing to come to patrol or recruits about to graduate the academy. The department doesn't want to get sued because some civilian ride along catches a bullet.
Same here, or it was. I had a cousin who thought she wanted to join the job. This was about 25 years ago. So I arranged for her to go on a ride along, I was working in a small division at the time which was also the busiest division in calls for service per patrol area with 70% being high priority calls. She came out on a Friday evening shift 1700-0300. She got her eyes wide open. She ended up baking cakes for a living.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614907.50
Sedan_Clan24830.50
      11-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #1297
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Truthfully......

I think the community could be more supportive by just allowing investigations to take their natural course before vilifying the cop. A body cam doesn't paint the entire picture and the insight it provides is helpful, but limited.
Wow - I would've never guessed. 13 year old female - would not expect them to have a weapon.
On one hand, growing up with guns, I think it may have been a good thing for her to do something about her personal responsibility and safety, but ffs, she's a child - i feel bad she had such a messed up life that she felt she had to run away, and that too with a gun for her protection (assuming it wasn't for a nefarious purpose).
She's a child - she's got her entire life ahead to make adult decisions - enjoy being a kid as long as one can, never get it back, etc. (but I get it - not everyone gets that luxury, which is a sad social commentary by itself...)

Speaking of body cams, I'm sure you've seen that footage of a female cop having to shoot the guy who kept coming at her. That was an eye opener for me around personal defense.
Personal defense ammo (hollow points) are marketed as the thing to have to stop someone in their tracks.
But that mf kept on coming, her gun (think it was a glock) jammed, she cleared the slide and put a few more holes in the guy before he dropped.
IIRC, she was some champion pistol shooter who was villified for it after the fact - and I'm thinking 'are you armchair quarterbacks nuts? dude is coming at her with a knife or whatever, she's put a few rounds in him and he's still coming. if that isn't a fuck me scary shit moment, what is?'
Sobering thought - cops will encounter such a situation way more often compared to average joe taxpayer who might be unlucky enough to encounter it once in their lifetime, if that.
And said cop will get attacked for their actions after - Seems people just want to attack other people for doing their job without realizing the circumstances or what it takes.
My new theory is they can't publicly attack the current Afghanistan/Iraq vets like they attacked the Vietnam vets, so they go after cops now. (though there are enough "woke" morons who attack current vets too...)

Sorry, I'm chatty this morning - it's the coffee
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24830.50
      11-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #1298
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Have you seen last weeks SNL with Chapelle, his monologue?