home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #1255
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Enjoyed reading this thread, and I learned a lot.
Thank you sedan_clan and Murf993 and any other cops.
(I alternate my time between FL and Toronto and seeing cops from the US and Canada talk was welcome reading)

You guys have a tough job to do - putting your lives on the line every day - I appreciate and admire that.
I've dealt with some Ontario Provincial Police and RCMP folk at government jobs in the past, and for higher security clearances and the like, never had a complaint. (so yeah, I'm middle-aged/old)

Hoping the current spate of virtue signalling stupidity stops soon and people just start seeing context instead of the dumbed down single angle/single issue society seems to be devolving into.
(And while I'm wishing, be nice if they'd take personal responsibility, oh, and since I'm wishing, a pony, too)
Appreciate 3
Chapperss488.50
Sedan_Clan24830.50
Murf99314114.00
      11-07-2020, 10:14 PM   #1256
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I worked Public Order for 10 years, they tend to weed out those who can't take the verbal abuse.....you can say just about anything to me and I don't care, call my mom a whore....maybe you dated her and know something I don't....talk about my wives....any of them, trash talk my kids.....whatever.....but don't touch the blue, don't spit on me don't throw shit at me....and when I say me I mean anyone wearing the blue. We used to go out early in the day in "soft tac", ball cap's no helmets or shields. We practiced an approach where we would personalize ourselves to the crowd, folks are less likely to throw a brick at you if they talked to you earlier in the day, we were very friendly, fuck I was damn charming. That bought us a lot of good will, but don't be fooled, if things started to degrade we would happily bring the pain. You have to remember that it's not personal for the cops, it's just the job.

When you get a ticket for speeding for example, you will likely have your day ruined by it, you'll likely complain to your co-workers and your significant other. The copper that gave you the ticket has forgotten about you by the time he's back in his car and thinking about what he's getting for lunch. So when you call me pig or what ever you think is clever I'm thinking about getting Chinese take out later. Hope that helps. Oh, and I worked in Chinatown.....I miss the good lo-mein.
I have been ticketed. But it never ruined my day. Part and parcel driving is sometimes you are in violation of something (my case usually speed) and once in a blue moon by enough and at the wrong place - boom. I never gave it a second thought. A CHP nailed me once in California driving my 240Z on the highway early AM doing about 90 MPH. He asked my how fast I thought I was going. I said "too fast or we wouldn't be talking". He was amused and wrote me up for a lower number. Heck, it was 6 AM and an empty freeway.

Funniest thing about these current riots about defund the police is when someone drives through their illegal road blockage they are all yelling "where are the cops".
Appreciate 5
F30lolz6798.50
Murf99314114.00
scostu1619.50
      11-07-2020, 10:41 PM   #1257
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Is highway patrol presence light lately or is it just me? I just drove 1,700 miles in 24 hours, including fuel stops and a quick nap. You can imagine what kind of speeds I was able to hold at times, road surface and slow vehicles in the left lane permitting. I didn't see many cops, and 90% of them were marked on Waze. The fact that I didn't get pulled over in 20+ hours of speeding seems odd, since I didn't dare to go more than 9 over the limit before in my home state of NY (LI).

PS: impressive fuel economy cruising at 90+ MPH with hundreds of pounds of cargo.

PSS: saw a car stopped on the side of the highway. On a level, straight stretch of road. At night. Charger taillights visible a mile away... I would imagine that officer issued 0 tickets that shift.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:24 PM   #1258
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Officers, how do you decide which laws to enforce on any given day?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #1259
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #1260
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
Is highway patrol presence light lately or is it just me? I just drove 1,700 miles in 24 hours, including fuel stops and a quick nap. You can imagine what kind of speeds I was able to hold at times, road surface and slow vehicles in the left lane permitting. I didn't see many cops, and 90% of them were marked on Waze. The fact that I didn't get pulled over in 20+ hours of speeding seems odd, since I didn't dare to go more than 9 over the limit before in my home state of NY (LI).

PS: impressive fuel economy cruising at 90+ MPH with hundreds of pounds of cargo.

PSS: saw a car stopped on the side of the highway. On a level, straight stretch of road. At night. Charger taillights visible a mile away... I would imagine that officer issued 0 tickets that shift.
I've noticed a decline on LEOs along the highways as well.

When I was younger, I drove my first car (a used 95 Accord) up and down the I95 traveling to and from my parent's house and first duty station almost every month. That car couldn't go over 90 MPH without feeling unstable if I remember correctly, so I would get pulled over constantly by various State Highway patrol officers a bit more frequently than I'm proud of. Going about 80-85 MPH in 65MPH zones.

Fast forward to present day, now I'm driving either an X6M or 1299s at "slightly" higher speeds when I travel from my current duty station to visit family and this year it seems like the route is definitely les patrolled than in previous years.

Maybe traffic monitoring apps are helping out more, or LEOs are just spread thin during these difficult times. Maybe a combination of both or more factors.

While I can admit I get to enjoy my toys a bit more recently... I hope it's not at the expense of our Police forces' safety and well being.

Now here's a question... do those "Photo Enforced" speed zones capture and ticket EVERY vehicle going faster than the posted limit...?

I try to keep my speedometer at no more than 5 over when I encounter those zones (learned my lesson a couple times) but even when I try to flow with traffic, I just have to more to the right and let countless cars pass me atmich higher speeds.

Is the camera really capable of tagging multiple cars in a cluster like that?
      11-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #1261
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
We just pick and choose. It depends on the car and who's behind the wheel. If we enforced everything, everybody would get cited every single day they drive.
Appreciate 5
vreihen1614907.50
Murf99314114.00
upstatedoc7555.50
S1nner118.00
      11-10-2020, 06:30 PM   #1262
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

Trust me, people still commit violations......some they don't even realize they are/were committing. The vehicle code is nearly 3.5" thick and the font is tiny. Where California is concerned, do you think anybody knows they are supposed to signal at least 100 feet prior to making a turn?.....or that making a right turn too far away from the curb or edge of the roadway is a violation? How about opening a car door and not immediately exiting, causing the door to impede the roadway?
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      11-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #1263
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Trust me, people still commit violations......some they don't even realize they are/were committing. The vehicle code is nearly 3.5" thick and the font is tiny. Where California is concerned, do you think anybody knows they are supposed to signal at least 100 feet prior to making a turn?.....or that making a right turn too far away from the curb or edge of the roadway is a violation? How about opening a car door and not immediately exiting, causing the door to impede the roadway?
Those are all common sense! But I get your point, most people commit violations all the time. I just hope most officers agree that these ignorant drivers are more dangerous than someone going 20 over the limit on an empty stretch of road, especially in a car that is still very stable at even higher speeds...
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 08:54 PM   #1264
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Those are all common sense! But I get your point, most people commit violations all the time. I just hope most officers agree that these ignorant drivers are more dangerous than someone going 20 over the limit on an empty stretch of road, especially in a car that is still very stable at even higher speeds...
....and for the most part we do, which is why we typically don't start issuing citations until 10-15 over the prima facie speed limit (...which on a desolate road in California equates to 85-90 mph; there's no justifiable reason to be traveling over 90 mph on a public road).
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      11-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #1265
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
You'd almost not get out of the parking lot if you enforced every single law and every violation you saw. Police officers have and use discretion. Some days all you want to do is get back to the station and go home and it's like you are cursed, even when you are turning a blind eye to everything the dispatcher seems to have it in for you and gives you a call that will turn into an arrest. You learn after a while what needs to be dealt with and what you let go. Think of the movie Colours, sorry, Colors.....Robert Duval is telling Sean Penn the story of the two bulls on the hill. The young bull says lets run down the hill and fuck a cow, and the old bull say's lets walk down the hill and fuck all of them.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24830.50
      11-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #1266
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I've noticed a decline on LEOs along the highways as well.

When I was younger, I drove my first car (a used 95 Accord) up and down the I95 traveling to and from my parent's house and first duty station almost every month. That car couldn't go over 90 MPH without feeling unstable if I remember correctly, so I would get pulled over constantly by various State Highway patrol officers a bit more frequently than I'm proud of. Going about 80-85 MPH in 65MPH zones.

Fast forward to present day, now I'm driving either an X6M or 1299s at "slightly" higher speeds when I travel from my current duty station to visit family and this year it seems like the route is definitely les patrolled than in previous years.

Maybe traffic monitoring apps are helping out more, or LEOs are just spread thin during these difficult times. Maybe a combination of both or more factors.

While I can admit I get to enjoy my toys a bit more recently... I hope it's not at the expense of our Police forces' safety and well being.

Now here's a question... do those "Photo Enforced" speed zones capture and ticket EVERY vehicle going faster than the posted limit...?

I try to keep my speedometer at no more than 5 over when I encounter those zones (learned my lesson a couple times) but even when I try to flow with traffic, I just have to more to the right and let countless cars pass me atmich higher speeds.

Is the camera really capable of tagging multiple cars in a cluster like that?
Maybe it had something to do with the election? Doubtful. Maybe there are just more cops in my old county. Less crime, more time for highway patrol. I saw a lot of 'authorized vehicle only' spots for cops to sit in, but very few cops. I cut across all of Tennessee, saw that singular Charger. Zero in Arkansas. Nothing in Texas until I reached Austin.

Cameras are definitely capable of capturing almost any number of pictures in a given time frame, but it depends on the specs.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #1267
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
....and for the most part we do, which is why we typically don't start issuing citations until 10-15 over the prima facie speed limit (...which on a desolate road in California equates to 85-90 mph; there's no justifiable reason to be traveling over 90 mph on a public road).
Texas has prima facie as well. Most people are going 10-15 over in the left lane. Not sure how strictly it's enforced here... I just know that 20+ over is bad. I would be happy to go 90 mph without being pulled over (in a 70 or 75 zone). 100+ in a sports car is not the same as in a bigger, heavier vehicle, but I agree that it's not necessary to go that fast om public roads.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24830.50
      11-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #1268
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You'd almost not get out of the parking lot if you enforced every single law and every violation you saw. Police officers have and use discretion. Some days all you want to do is get back to the station and go home and it's like you are cursed, even when you are turning a blind eye to everything the dispatcher seems to have it in for you and gives you a call that will turn into an arrest. You learn after a while what needs to be dealt with and what you let go. Think of the movie Colours, sorry, Colors.....Robert Duval is telling Sean Penn the story of the two bulls on the hill. The young bull says lets run down the hill and fuck a cow, and the old bull say's lets walk down the hill and fuck all of them.
Great point(s), especially about the dispatcher seemingly slinging you hot shit when you just want to go home.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #1269
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Great point(s), especially about the dispatcher seemingly slinging you hot shit when you just want to go home.
I loved and respected my dispatchers.....never ever piss them off though, they had a saying. "Start your day with a DOA"
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      11-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #1270
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I loved and respected my dispatchers.....never ever piss them off though, they had a saying. "Start your day with a DOA"
Definitely. I take care of my Watch Deputy/Dispatcher. Take care of them and they'll take care of you.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      11-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #1271
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
When finishing your shift (driving back to the station/barracks), have you ever encountered a vehicle that had expired tags or doing something that’s minor offensive like turning right on red when a sign posted says otherwise and you just want to get home, do you let that slide?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #1272
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
When finishing your shift (driving back to the station/barracks), have you ever encountered a vehicle that had expired tags or doing something that’s minor offensive like turning right on red when a sign posted says otherwise and you just want to get home, do you let that slide?
I sure as hell did, there were some guys who wouldn't even if their mom was the offender.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #1273
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
I just hope most officers agree that these ignorant drivers are more dangerous than someone going 20 over the limit on an empty stretch of road, especially in a car that is still very stable at even higher speeds...
sounds like a confession
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      11-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #1274
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
When finishing your shift (driving back to the station/barracks), have you ever encountered a vehicle that had expired tags or doing something that's minor offensive like turning right on red when a sign posted says otherwise and you just want to get home, do you let that slide?
Every single day. I actually stop hunting about 3 hours before the end of my shift.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
F30lolz6798.50
      11-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #1275
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Every single day. I actually stop hunting about 3 hours before the end of my shift.
Experience will tell you that even the simplest traffic stop can turn into hours of paperwork, sometimes you want the OT and other times you want to go home.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24830.50
      11-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #1276
Fast.F10
Extruding Elements
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
2016 BMW M5 F10  [0.00]
A past encounter I had, was it justifiable?

While my E60 was in the shop, the shop owner let me borrow his older M5 for my daily commute since my E60 was going to be in the shop for about 2 weeks getting mods installed as well as new bearings. I did a cash transaction with the owner and on the night before I was set to pickup my E60, I went to the ATM around the corner from my house to collect more funds (2 different accounts in total $800.00). While pulling out from 7-11 at/around 9:00pm, I noted a police officer about a block away parked (looking for violators) in the medium where I was turning on to. By default I always come to a dead stop at stop signs (no rolling stops since I was t-bones a few years ago and totaled my car; no my fault for reference; guy ran his stop sign) and since I saw the officer sitting there, I even recall counting to 2 or 3 seconds before I turned onto the road. Made a left hand turn about 400feet from pulling out from 7-11 and was quickly pulled over. After being greeted at the window by the officer and her seeing the $800 on the passenger seat she stated I was pulled over for a possible drug transaction in which she said she saw someone hand me something as I exited 7-11 and not stopping at the stop sign and then collected by drivers license/owners registration and insurance card and returned to her patrol car. I did note there as a younger lady hanging out front of 7-11 but didnt even look twice or speak to her. Nor could the patrol car see this area from where she was parked. After about 5 minutes of sitting in the car, 2 other police cars showed up all with lights on. Original officer was parked behind me, 1 pulled in front of me, and one at the rear corner panel of the loaner car. I was asked to step out, walk backwards to the rear and they placed me in handcuffs at the rear of the M5. Then a K9 unit arrived and did a sweep of the M5 as well as officers searching inside. I had to show them how to open the center console as they could not figure it out. I was informed that the K9 hit on something and the mood of the officers quickly changed to more aggressive questioning/mood. After about 30-45 minutes of being in handcuffs, they said all was clear and let me go.

I felt this was an unjustified stop/search and I contacted my local Police station the following day to question it. A few days later I received a call from a Sergent (I believe) and apologized about the event and noted that this area is known for drug trafficking. Really...i've lived in this same area/subdivision (which is about 1/2 mile from 7-11...if that) for over 20years.

A cliff note to this: informed my wife that I was running upto 7-11 real quick and to keep an eye on my 1yr old son. Not being allowed to call her for from my stand point on an unwarranted stop REALLY pissed me off.

Whats our kind Officers in this thread take on this?
2006 BMW M5
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50