BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

03-03-2024, 09:14 AM   #1
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

M4xC to Porsche…what?

So I currently have a BG 22M4C with most options besides CCB’s and driving assistance and I’m thinking about making the leap to a P-Car.

Now before everyone flips out and tells me I’m stupid, hear me out. I’m leaving for the opposite reason you’d think. The M4 is just too much for me. Not in the sense that I can’t handle it, I can. But I actually feel bad never getting to push the car to its full potential. It’s essentially just a daily driver that I can floor it once in a while and even then, I never push it as I’m on public roads and I’m not trying to die or kill someone. Yes, it’s fun. Yes, I love everything about it. But I do not need 500hp. I do not need 3.0 seconds 0-60 time. I do not need almost 500lb-ft of torque. I just feel like I’m wasting such a nice car. And yes, I know this sounds contradictory to move to a Porsche. But I wouldn’t be moving to a GT3 or anything, I was thinking maybe a 718 GTS? Or just a 911 base? I admittedly do not know much about Porsche cars so please give me any and all advice you have on making this jump if I do.

Even though I know I don’t need it (again), the 718 GT4 really has caught my eye. I do still want a good amount of power if I need it, and I still want a car that really stands out and I’m worried the base 718’s or a base 911 wouldn’t really stand out. I also love my carbon buckets to death and I feel like going to a car with a normal seat would be such a let down. So whats everyone’s thoughts? Anybody who’s made the jump, what did you choose? I just need a fun car, a good bit of power, and a car that stands out.

Fire away.
Appreciate 1
M3SQRD2164.00
      03-03-2024, 09:25 AM   #2
ash_schwin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW G80 6MT

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [3.50]
I actually just made the opposite move as you, I had a base 991.2 as I wanted a P-car as a childhood dream and had the opportunity to get into one couple years ago. I also used it as a DD and it was definitely not the fastest car on the road, but a Porsche will still stand out especially in the right color and stance. I only switched cars since I needed a sedan for practical reasons and missed driving manual. Pic attached of my old 991.2 in sapphire blue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-03-2024, 10:12 AM   #3
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_schwin View Post
I actually just made the opposite move as you, I had a base 991.2 as I wanted a P-car as a childhood dream and had the opportunity to get into one couple years ago. I also used it as a DD and it was definitely not the fastest car on the road, but a Porsche will still stand out especially in the right color and stance. I only switched cars since I needed a sedan for practical reasons and missed driving manual. Pic attached of my old 991.2 in sapphire blue.
Interesting. How was it as a DD? Still fun to drive or not enough power or dynamics?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:50 AM   #4
Pool Shark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Accord Sport6MT / Tesla3 / M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post

I still want a car that really stands out and I’m worried the base 718’s or a base 911 wouldn’t really stand out.
I hope you find what you are looking for. Just keep in mind a few things: Porsche cars have significant ADM fees, so what you might configure/build on the website is not the price you would pay...probably add at minimum an additional $15k+. I was configuring at a Targa 4S, but the availability and pricing of that car was not in the realm of possibility. Second, I heard that if you are new to the Porsche family, getting an allocation is not easy. When hearing about those two challenges, I switched focus and picked up my M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 03:51 PM   #5
ash_schwin
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [3.50]
Quote:
Interesting. How was it as a DD? Still fun to drive or not enough power or dynamics?
Like all new cars, it was fun at first and exciting and then it wears off. Was still plenty of fun to drive but all the sacrifices such as bare bones with no options, limited rear seat space, and detuned base engine all start to reduce the excitement. Was definitely a blast to drive through canyon roads and on the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 04:48 PM   #6
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

First, I would say that if you are enjoying your M4C then you should keep driving it. But I do understand what you're saying about the power in a DD. I don't know how you can use 500hp on the street for more than half a second.

I have a 718 GTS 4.0 and I can tell you that I never wish it had more power, even though I am sure it's much slower than the M4. In a straight line there is probably no contest. You certainly don't get the turbo surge of power that you get in the M. But the driving experience on a backroad and the noise of the naturally aspirated engine as it starts to build past 4k RPM is intoxicating. The power is there at the higher RPM, even if it's not as brutal as the M4. I still have the problem that I can only stay at high RPM's for a tiny bit before reaching license risking speeds. If you're not going to go the track much, I don't think the GT4 is necessary. In fact, most people say the GTS is the better package for a fun daily sports car. The 4-cylinder versions are also awesome in my opinion. They have a bit more power down low and you don't need to wind them up as much. But the engine noise is not as nice for some. Only you can decide if you like it or not.

I've had a 992 on a few occasions and it's also a great car. It's a better daily than a 718 because it has a bit more space. But it can be a little boring around town because it's so good and it settles down, it's comfy, relatively quiet. Once you get going though, it's a Porsche. Actually, it's THE Porsche. Oh and I think a Base or a T are more than fast enough for the street. In fact, they're also too fast for me.

A few reasons to not get a Porsche are price, practicality and availability. Price is obvious. The M4 is a much better bang for the buck in my opinion.

Practicality is a big con with either the 718 or the 911. If you never have more than one passenger and you don't need a real trunk, then you're good to go. But for me, I have to keep another car as my daily because nobody in my family wants to ride in the frunk. Many people like having a daily and a weekend car, but this is a hugely frustrating part of Porsche ownership for me. I have this amazingly fun super handling machine that mostly sits in the garage while I drive my boring car. If you think not being able to utilize all the power of an M4 is frustrating, try not driving the car at all..

Lastly, there is the availability factor. Both the 718 and the 911 are hard to find. I don't know if you would go for new or used. If you want to customize your new p-car, which you probably should, then be prepared to wait. Maybe a year. Maybe two. But don't pay ADM if you can help it.

Hope this helps. Probably doing some test drives will help you decide if it's worth the switch.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:46 PM   #7
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Hmmm… I have a 718 GT4 and I will say engagement with the car is orders of magnitude higher than a modern M car. However, despite it being more engaging, it’s still too fast for the road, and it has tall gearing so you can’t necessarily ring it out much either. (join PCA and go to track days)

If you want to stand out, it will definitely do that especially with the wing on the back. Mine is in guards red and even non-car ppl will stop to ask me questions, etc. The attention gets old after a while and can cause you some stress. It’s also not a good daily and I don’t recommend it if this will be your only car.

I will admit that the experience is incredible. I haven’t been able to replicate the cabin noise, mechanical shift action, the mid engine cornering capability, and the steering feel with any other car. Although, the DFI engine in the GT3/RS takes it up another level.

Anyway, good luck and let me know if you have any further questions
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:44 AM   #8
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdrive View Post
First, I would say that if you are enjoying your M4C then you should keep driving it. But I do understand what you're saying about the power in a DD. I don't know how you can use 500hp on the street for more than half a second.

I have a 718 GTS 4.0 and I can tell you that I never wish it had more power, even though I am sure it's much slower than the M4. In a straight line there is probably no contest. You certainly don't get the turbo surge of power that you get in the M. But the driving experience on a backroad and the noise of the naturally aspirated engine as it starts to build past 4k RPM is intoxicating. The power is there at the higher RPM, even if it's not as brutal as the M4. I still have the problem that I can only stay at high RPM's for a tiny bit before reaching license risking speeds. If you're not going to go the track much, I don't think the GT4 is necessary. In fact, most people say the GTS is the better package for a fun daily sports car. The 4-cylinder versions are also awesome in my opinion. They have a bit more power down low and you don't need to wind them up as much. But the engine noise is not as nice for some. Only you can decide if you like it or not.

I've had a 992 on a few occasions and it's also a great car. It's a better daily than a 718 because it has a bit more space. But it can be a little boring around town because it's so good and it settles down, it's comfy, relatively quiet. Once you get going though, it's a Porsche. Actually, it's THE Porsche. Oh and I think a Base or a T are more than fast enough for the street. In fact, they're also too fast for me.

A few reasons to not get a Porsche are price, practicality and availability. Price is obvious. The M4 is a much better bang for the buck in my opinion.

Practicality is a big con with either the 718 or the 911. If you never have more than one passenger and you don't need a real trunk, then you're good to go. But for me, I have to keep another car as my daily because nobody in my family wants to ride in the frunk. Many people like having a daily and a weekend car, but this is a hugely frustrating part of Porsche ownership for me. I have this amazingly fun super handling machine that mostly sits in the garage while I drive my boring car. If you think not being able to utilize all the power of an M4 is frustrating, try not driving the car at all..

Lastly, there is the availability factor. Both the 718 and the 911 are hard to find. I don't know if you would go for new or used. If you want to customize your new p-car, which you probably should, then be prepared to wait. Maybe a year. Maybe two. But don't pay ADM if you can help it.

Hope this helps. Probably doing some test drives will help you decide if it's worth the switch.
All of this is great info and thank you for that. I’m not concerned with it not being as fast as my m4, as long as when I step on it, it still goes. And I only have 1 passenger max so missing a back seat will not affect me at all.

Now as for new vs used, I do have questions. Currently it appears you can get a new one ordered for less than a used one. With that being said, what are these cars like long term? Lots of issues with them or pretty solid like the new m3/4? I know they hold their value so no question there. You also said the 718 GTS is plenty, have you tried the Porsche bucket seats? The buckets in my m4 are plenty comfortable to me. But I’m concerned the p seats might be hard as a rock.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I go so thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:47 AM   #9
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
Hmmm… I have a 718 GT4 and I will say engagement with the car is orders of magnitude higher than a modern M car. However, despite it being more engaging, it’s still too fast for the road, and it has tall gearing so you can’t necessarily ring it out much either. (join PCA and go to track days)

If you want to stand out, it will definitely do that especially with the wing on the back. Mine is in guards red and even non-car ppl will stop to ask me questions, etc. The attention gets old after a while and can cause you some stress. It’s also not a good daily and I don’t recommend it if this will be your only car.

I will admit that the experience is incredible. I haven’t been able to replicate the cabin noise, mechanical shift action, the mid engine cornering capability, and the steering feel with any other car. Although, the DFI engine in the GT3/RS takes it up another level.

Anyway, good luck and let me know if you have any further questions
I do want a gt4 really bad but I fear it may be too much of a track weapon and not enough DD for me… do you happen to have the bucket seats by chance? And what’s the interior noise like with the sound system on? Drowns out the music?

Appreciate your insight as well
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:01 PM   #10
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
I do want a gt4 really bad but I fear it may be too much of a track weapon and not enough DD for me… do you happen to have the bucket seats by chance? And what’s the interior noise like with the sound system on? Drowns out the music?

Appreciate your insight as well
It won’t be a good daily, I can promise you. The front of the car is super low and you’ll have to constantly assess entrance/exit angles. I have the basic sport seats and they are pretty supportive but you don’t feel cradled like you do in the buckets. However, the buckets aren’t adjustable in either the lumbar or width and so it can work for you if your body fits but it can be terrible if it doesn’t. Plus ingress and egress is just as bad as the M buckets. Lastly, the Porsche buckets are very upright for the 718 generation… most ppl get brackets to lean the seat back (added expense)

As for interior cabin - you are literally sitting in the cabin with the engine. There is no partition like in a Ferrari, McLaren, so all you hear is engine and you really can’t appreciate the music very much.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 02:56 PM   #11
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
It won’t be a good daily, I can promise you. The front of the car is super low and you’ll have to constantly assess entrance/exit angles. I have the basic sport seats and they are pretty supportive but you don’t feel cradled like you do in the buckets. However, the buckets aren’t adjustable in either the lumbar or width and so it can work for you if your body fits but it can be terrible if it doesn’t. Plus ingress and egress is just as bad as the M buckets. Lastly, the Porsche buckets are very upright for the 718 generation… most ppl get brackets to lean the seat back (added expense)

As for interior cabin - you are literally sitting in the cabin with the engine. There is no partition like in a Ferrari, McLaren, so all you hear is engine and you really can’t appreciate the music very much.
Damn that is a real bummer about the buckets. I absolutely love how much they transform the interior and to know they’re essentially vertical with 0 adjustment really sucks. Even if I didn’t get a GT4 I’d spec them with the GTS but I guess not anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:12 PM   #12
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
All of this is great info and thank you for that. I’m not concerned with it not being as fast as my m4, as long as when I step on it, it still goes. And I only have 1 passenger max so missing a back seat will not affect me at all.

Now as for new vs used, I do have questions. Currently it appears you can get a new one ordered for less than a used one. With that being said, what are these cars like long term? Lots of issues with them or pretty solid like the new m3/4? I know they hold their value so no question there. You also said the 718 GTS is plenty, have you tried the Porsche bucket seats? The buckets in my m4 are plenty comfortable to me. But I’m concerned the p seats might be hard as a rock.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I go so thanks again.
I can't really speak to the GT4, but a used GTS is not more than a new one. They haven't depreciated a lot, but they have depreciated some. The problem for both new and used is that it's hard to find one.

As far as issues, the 718 shares something like 90% of components with the 911 991 model. There is a YouTube video that explains this in detail. The 981/982 platforms are more or less a mid engine version of the 991. They are very well built cars. Better than BMW. The catch is that repair and maintenance costs are much higher than BMW.

I have only sat in the 991 GT3 buckets, which should be the same as the buckets in the 718. I also sat in the M3/M4 buckets. Both were comfortable for me, but that doesn't really mean anything after spending less than 2 minutes in a seat. There are some who swear by the buckets and others who don't want them in a daily. I'm in the latter category. I would be worried about the lack of adjustment and the additional headache getting in and out of the car. I have the 18-way adjustable seats and they're great. This car always feels special, always feels like a little go-kart sports car. I don't need the buckets to be even more hardcore. The buckets would however be amazing on track or for autocross.

The GTS can absolutely be a daily if you don't need more space. You have two trunks. The ride is absolutely fine. I mean, it's a 2 door mid-engine sports car so you won't be flying over speed bumps and you will not enjoy potholes, but the suspension is excellent for what it is. And the car is fun to drive always and at all speeds. It's a low 2 seater mid-engine 3200lb car with 309 ft-lb of torque with one of the best chassis ever. The stereo is fine for me also. Maybe the GTS has more sound insulation than the GT4 so there is no problem listening to music or talking on the phone. I have the Boxster version which might be a tiny bit quieter with the top up than the Cayman, who knows. Btw, if weather allows where you live, the Boxster with the top down is like a little vacation every time you drive.

Take a look at the savagegeese reviews of the GTS 4.0 and Spyder. You will get a lot of good info.

Lastly... the M4 is a great car. I think the 718 is also fantastic. But if I already had an M4 I doubt I would spend a bunch of money to switch. I might end up doing the switch the other way however, because I can use the backseats of an M3/M4. The p-car is more connected, more sports car feel, but to be honest the M would suit my needs better.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:34 PM   #13
White340XDriveInCt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tanz M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_schwin View Post
I traded in my Lava Orange 991.2 GTS for a 2023 M3 Comp (Tanzanite Blue with Kyalami interior) this past weekend, but certainly not because I didn't love the GTS. I'd go so far as to say the Porsche is unquestionably the best driving car I've ever owned, including multiple M3's (that I also loved ). For me it was simply because I wanted more room, a tiny bit more comfort entering/exiting the car, and because I plan to save a few bucks for a 992 GT3 a few years down the road. In the meantime, the G80 M3 is a killer fast, good looking, more practical (for space, etc) car that doesn't scream LOOK AT ME the way the 911 did...though I sorta loved it

All these cars are incredible...own/drive as many as you can and be happy
Appreciate 2
bmwdrive464.00
      03-06-2024, 12:07 AM   #14
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

For how long did you have the 991.2? It’s a beautiful car.

p.s. The M3 also screams look at me
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:05 AM   #15
White340XDriveInCt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdrive View Post
For how long did you have the 991.2? It’s a beautiful car.

p.s. The M3 also screams look at me
Kept the 991.2 for a year and a half, BUT I drove it over 30k miles in that time so I got the full 911 experience
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive464.00
      03-06-2024, 10:56 AM   #16
ash_schwin
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by White340XDriveInCt View Post
I traded in my Lava Orange 991.2 GTS for a 2023 M3 Comp (Tanzanite Blue with Kyalami interior) this past weekend, but certainly not because I didn't love the GTS. I'd go so far as to say the Porsche is unquestionably the best driving car I've ever owned, including multiple M3's (that I also loved ). For me it was simply because I wanted more room, a tiny bit more comfort entering/exiting the car, and because I plan to save a few bucks for a 992 GT3 a few years down the road. In the meantime, the G80 M3 is a killer fast, good looking, more practical (for space, etc) car that doesn't scream LOOK AT ME the way the 911 did...though I sorta loved it

All these cars are incredible...own/drive as many as you can and be happy
Couldn't have stated it better myself and fully agree with all your reasons for why I also made the switch. Enjoy the new G80 and I also hope to get into a GT3 in the future!
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 07:26 PM   #17
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
So I currently have a BG 22M4C with most options besides CCB’s and driving assistance and I’m thinking about making the leap to a P-Car.

Now before everyone flips out and tells me I’m stupid, hear me out. I’m leaving for the opposite reason you’d think. The M4 is just too much for me. Not in the sense that I can’t handle it, I can. But I actually feel bad never getting to push the car to its full potential. It’s essentially just a daily driver that I can floor it once in a while and even then, I never push it as I’m on public roads and I’m not trying to die or kill someone. Yes, it’s fun. Yes, I love everything about it. But I do not need 500hp. I do not need 3.0 seconds 0-60 time. I do not need almost 500lb-ft of torque. I just feel like I’m wasting such a nice car. And yes, I know this sounds contradictory to move to a Porsche. But I wouldn’t be moving to a GT3 or anything, I was thinking maybe a 718 GTS? Or just a 911 base? I admittedly do not know much about Porsche cars so please give me any and all advice you have on making this jump if I do.

Even though I know I don’t need it (again), the 718 GT4 really has caught my eye. I do still want a good amount of power if I need it, and I still want a car that really stands out and I’m worried the base 718’s or a base 911 wouldn’t really stand out. I also love my carbon buckets to death and I feel like going to a car with a normal seat would be such a let down. So whats everyone’s thoughts? Anybody who’s made the jump, what did you choose? I just need a fun car, a good bit of power, and a car that stands out.

Fire away.
I sold my G82 M4xC and bought a 992 CT which most certainly doesn't have the brutal power of the S58. Trust me, any 6-cylinder P-car will be plenty fast and they sound better too.

Occasionally I miss the power of the G82 but that is it. The 992 just drives and handles better. A PDK 992 from a dig is just as quick as a non-X-drive M3 or M4. If this is an issue just get a 992 S or GTS. I think the ride is better on the 992 than the G82 somehow, the suspension tuning just works. The PDK on 992 base shifts way quicker than a G80/G82 and in sport + the shifts are like a hammer just no comparison.

If you feel you need more power than the base 992 or CT has just tune it and done. You can tune it to 500 hp easily without doing any other work. If you want even more power sport cats and exhaust will allow you to beyond 500 hp. Check out the Flat 6 Motorsports channel on YouTube they have lots of videos about this subject with dyno info. The base 992 3.0 engine's 379 HP power is underrated by a lot, Flat 6 dynos will show this.

When I drive the 911 other drivers don't act nearly as stupid as they did when I drove the M4. No idea why. I don't miss that.

I do prefer the interior of the 992 over the 718 which looks old. My 992 has the Sport + seats and they are very good seats. I would suggest going to a dealer and sitting in some cars to see if you prefer standard seats, sport + or buckets if available on the trim you want. You can't get buckets in the 992 base but you can in the T.

A 718 GTS or Carrara 992 are both great choices and will stand out for sure especially if you get Ruby Star Neo. Your current car is certainly good too. Wherever you ask you will get plenty of confirmation bias from G80/G82, 718, or 992 owners, so you need to drive what speaks to you. If I can help let me know via post but drop me a PM too as I don't read Bimemrpsot often anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 08:33 PM   #18
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

[QUOTE=White340XDriveInCt;30961350]I traded in my Lava Orange 991.2 GTS for a 2023 M3 Comp (Tanzanite Blue with Kyalami interior)

Awesome choice, tanzanite blue on kyalami is such a sick color combo! Is the GTS the one that's currently for sale at Hoffman? I just came across that one today.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 08:26 AM   #19
White340XDriveInCt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=Rambler;30964468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by White340XDriveInCt View Post
I traded in my Lava Orange 991.2 GTS for a 2023 M3 Comp (Tanzanite Blue with Kyalami interior)

Awesome choice, tanzanite blue on kyalami is such a sick color combo! Is the GTS the one that's currently for sale at Hoffman? I just came across that one today.
It IS! Same place I bought the GTS nearly 2 years ago lol. I miss it, but so happy I was able to pilot it for 30k miles. Awesome car
Appreciate 1
Rambler208.50
      03-07-2024, 06:41 PM   #20
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

As a non DD and wanting a newer generation Porsche, I would get a GT4 (either generation) with the buckets.

As a DD, any Porsche sports car is tough to live with for most people. I DDed a Miata back in the day….

A base 911 is a bit underwhelming. A T is better. It’s like buying a non M 3 series.

I had a 981 GT4 for three years (bought it new - came across the car and the new owner while visiting the local Porsche store). Have had the 997 GT3 for the past 5+ years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 08:12 PM   #21
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

As an M4CX owner this is a timely and great thread! I have a few questions for all you objective BMW/Porsche owners with realworld experience: which 992 should I consider?

Here's what I like about my M4CX as a pure daily...

1: Skyscraper gray/825 wheels/tartufo/tint is WOW!! Yes, I sometimes want the M3 hips, but otherwise the G82X looks is everything I could ask for. Stylish, classy, draws attention yet it's still under the radar compared to a yellow C8 or orange RS3. Two doors is perfect for 95% solo driving, no kids to haul.

2: The interior is near perfect. Makes me realize I prioritize a nicer more luxury interior. Always me or 1 passenger, but I do like a small back seat.

3: My OCD hands like the M1/M2 options. I am just okay with the lag below 3000rpm, the power elsewhere still makes me laugh out loud. I prefer a powerful fun car even if it's just for a few moments on an empty road. My dream car sound is the Z06 or GT3 or the Blackwing 5. I could get a Z06 but the styling is a bit too "hey, look at me" and it's overkill for a snowbelt daily. The BW5 is too big and the GT3 is truly unobtainable.

Here's why I'm looking to make the change when the warranty runs out in 2 years...and 2 years is also the estimated time I'd have to wait for a 992 build. I really want to keep the G82X for 4 years.

1: The G82X is just a little too long. Coming from a 2020 M240i, I'd like something in between. The 718 GTS 4.0 PDK was considered, but the interior is too basic and for me the exterior styling doesn't make me stop and turn like the 992 or G82X. That 992 rear end always gets my attention.

2: It's unrealistic to get the instant-on of my recently sold EV, but after driving my friend's Blackwing 5 it makes me realize I want more torque and instant hit for my non-track use. Again, my G82 is a bit laggy no matter what mode/gear because of compression/turbo size/tuning, I knew this going in. **Am I going to be disappointed with the S or GTS, and have to get a tune? I've never used launch control, and I don't race on public roads, but I do value big "quality" power.

The G82X is my best all-around street use daily for year-round use in a snowy climate.

As for the switch...I never keep German cars past warranty, BUT....I'd plan to keep the 992.1 or .2 for many years longer (I own an old Lexus SUV for bad snow, carrying bikes/skis/the rare road trip). A CPO with extended warranty is the unicorn.
I think the 992 has a timeless look that won't age. And I have read all about maintenance costs.

Speaking of snow, I am leaning toward NOT getting AWD P because great snow tires and my lifetime of snow driving should be enough, right? (again: old suv goes out on really snow/icy days when I don't stay home). Last 4 cars were AWD. Not opposed to another, but RWD 992 is fine.

So (sorry for the rambling) based on the above which coupe 992 PDK would you recommend I get if (big IF) I can find a CPO or MSRP 992.1 or .2?

1: ZERO track use (rules out the GT3)
2: Priority on an interior leaning more luxury (rules out the T). Don't need full leather top to bottom or headrest crests and matching stitching, but I don't want a black interior.
3: Power that isn't 9000 rpm high nor laggy nor underwhelming (guess I could get a 91 octane tune?)
4: Comfort via adjustable suspension is priority.

Thanks for your input. And if you think a 992 is still the "not ideal" smart decision I'd like to hear it.

Last edited by YamaLink; 03-08-2024 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 08:33 PM   #22
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
As an M4CX owner this is a timely and great thread! I have a few questions for all you objective BMW/Porsche owners with realworld experience: which 992 should I consider?

Here's what I like about my M4CX as a pure daily...

1: Skyscraper gray/825 wheels/tartufo/tint is WOW!! Yes, I sometimes want the M3 hips, but otherwise the G82X looks is everything I could ask for. Stylish, classy, draws attention yet it's still under the radar compared to a yellow C8 or orange RS3. Two doors is perfect for 95% solo driving, no kids to haul.

2: The interior is near perfect. Makes me realize I prioritize a nicer more luxury interior. Always me or 1 passenger, but I do like a small back seat.

3: My OCD hands like the M1/M2 options. I am just okay with the lag below 3000rpm, the power elsewhere still makes me laugh out loud. I prefer a powerful fun car even if it's just for a few moments on an empty road. My dream car sound is the Z06 or GT3 or the Blackwing 5. I could get a Z06 but the styling is a bit too "hey, look at me" and it's overkill for a snowbelt daily. The BW5 is too big and the GT3 is truly unobtainable.

Here's why I'm looking to make the change when the warranty runs out in 2 years...and 2 years is also the estimated time I'd have to wait for a 992 build. I really want to keep the G82X for 4 years.

1: The G82X is just a little too long. Coming from a 2020 M240i, I'd like something in between. The 718 GTS 4.0 PDK was considered, but the interior is too basic and for me the exterior styling doesn't make me stop and turn like the 992 or G82X. That 992 rear end always gets my attention.

2: It's unrealistic to get the instant-on of my recently sold EV, but after driving my friend's Blackwing 5 it makes me realize I want more torque and instant hit for my non-track use. Again, my G82 is a bit laggy no matter what mode/gear because of compression/turbo size/tuning, I knew this going in. **Am I going to be disappointed with the S or GTS, and have to get a tune? I've never used launch control, and I don't race on public roads, but I do value big "quality" power.

The G82X is my best all-around street use daily for year-round use in a snowy climate.

As for the switch...I never keep German cars past warranty, BUT....I'd plan to keep the 992.1 or .2 for many years longer (I own an old Lexus SUV for bad snow, carrying bikes/skis/the rare road trip). A CPO with extended warranty is the unicorn.
I think the 992 has a timeless look that won't age. And I have read all about maintenance costs.

Speaking of snow, I am leaning toward NOT getting AWD P because great snow tires and my lifetime of snow driving should be enough, right? (again: old suv goes out on really snow/icy days when I don't stay home). Last 4 cars were AWD. Not opposed to another, but RWD 992 is fine.

So (sorry for the rambling) based on the above which coupe 992 PDK would you recommend I get if (big IF) I can find a CPO or MSRP 992.1 or .2?

1: ZERO track use (rules out the GT3)
2: Priority on an interior leaning more luxury (rules out the T). Don't need full leather top to bottom or headrest crests and matching stitching, but I don't want a black interior.
3: Power that isn't 9000 rpm high nor laggy nor underwhelming (guess I could get a 91 octane tune?)
4: Comfort via adjustable suspension is priority.

Thanks for your input. And if you think a 992 is still the "not ideal" smart decision I'd like to hear it.
You didn’t really mention budget but GTS all the way.

But go drive as many different variants as possible. Go to a Porsche Performance Center if necessary (which would also be mega fun). This is a big purchase.
Appreciate 0