BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-04-2021, 09:06 PM   #45
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Seems Jeremy really has just defaulted to writing tropes about "lazy millennials" like all the other decrepit old boomers these days.

The irony is it that majority of G80 M3 buyers (and TG/grand tour audience) these days are millennials?
You do realize that if you're 40-ish now, you technically are a millennial, right?!??
Appreciate 2
AndyinHou478.00
EXE462097.00
      06-05-2021, 01:34 AM   #46
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Seems Jeremy really has just defaulted to writing tropes about "lazy millennials" like all the other decrepit old boomers these days.

The irony is it that majority of G80 M3 buyers (and TG/grand tour audience) these days are millennials?
You do realize that if you're 40-ish now, you technically are a millennial, right?!??
Yes. And I hate you for pointing it out.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24814.00
      06-05-2021, 02:59 AM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinHou View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. And I hate you for pointing it out.

Hey, I juuuuuust barely made the Gen X cut by a couple of years.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 04:23 AM   #48
Puuhapete
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 25e, 2021 Taycan 4s

I have always loved Jeremys reviews
But on EV:s I don't agree.

I have now had my Taycan 4S for one month since having only BMW:s from 1991 with several M-cars. I really enjoy driving the Taycan fast. On twisty roads the grip is unbelievable for any car and especially for a car that weights almost 2.3 ton. I have an Autobahn exit, where I was able to drive 120 km/h with my F80 Comp. I can do same speed in the Taycan. The power which is always there immediately is really intoxicating. The steering is the best post hydraulic, I ever have experienced. Easily 992 level steering.

Of course I miss the sound and the rawness of an M3, so in that sense the Taycan can not compete. But it is a very refined car and at the same time a lot of fun to drive. And as a daily it is unbeatable.

There might come a day I go back and buy an old M3 like E92 or G80 (when prices have dropped enough) as a second car. Especially the E92 I had felt always very special.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
amzbimmer299.50
      06-05-2021, 06:40 AM   #49
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Millennial generation started in 1982. So the oldest would be 39 now. But a lot of the early millennial people had Gen X traits. The hard core millennial people are about 30 right now. Gen Z started in 2000. So the youngest millennial is 22 this year. Many of those people share Gen Z traits. It is interesting from a sociology standpoint.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0018923.00
      06-05-2021, 06:51 AM   #50
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Millennial generation started in 1982. So the oldest would be 39 now. But a lot of the early millennial people had Gen X traits. The hard core millennial people are about 30 right now. Gen Z started in 2000. So the youngest millennial is 22 this year. Many of those people share Gen Z traits. It is interesting from a sociology standpoint.
Pretty much the same thing as those poor saps who were still wearing plaid pants in 1982. Most days I WISH I was younger so that I wouldn't remember the horror of 70's plaid. But I'm solidly Gen X, so I do remember them.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #51
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Do they? When I owned my M2 and frequented those forums I'm pretty sure the European manual take rate was miniscule compared to North America which was close to 50%.
When I bought my manual M2C my dealer told that the manual take rate for M2C is below 10% (Belgium/Luxembourg market). For M3/M4 it is around 5 % . On some other markets like France, England it is even lower explaining why the new G80/G82 is only available as competition model.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #52
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That depends on what information you choose to adhere to. Some charts out millennial births as early as 1980-1981.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #53
Kelly Yarema
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235I XDrive

wow
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #54
Kelly Yarema
Registered
Canada
Rep

just setting up my account with first 4 posts
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #55
Kelly Yarema
Registered
Canada
Rep

Two more posts to go
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #56
hijack
Rep
Drives: g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Hard to say, I feel like all the press cars had the CF seats but given his size I'm almost certain he would have said something about being fat and struggling to get in and out. As he has said in the past with other cars with bucket seats.
Surely it was about bucket seats, even BIG guys can still comfortably seat and these seats are making the change
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #57
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by perezr10 View Post
Ha! He brilliantly sums up how how most enthusiasts feel about EVs. Excellent intro.

Manipulating the sound is half the fun.

I used to think that lovers of mechanical watches were crazy. I think I'm starting to see where they're coming from.
Spot on. ICE cars is the next mechanical watch in a sea of Apple Watches
I tried to love digital watches I truly did. I felt like since I was in IT it was the "thing" to do. Just hated the things.
Then I bought my first fully mechanical chronograph automatic ( and a watch winder ) and never looked back.
The craftsmanship and knowing how intricate each piece is just to tell time is wonderful. I'll never go back to a watch I need to plug in.

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 1
DeeKay553.00
      06-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #58
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geektechlive View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Ha! He brilliantly sums up how how most enthusiasts feel about EVs. Excellent intro.

I used to think that lovers of mechanical watches were crazy. I think I'm starting to see where they're coming from.
I tried to love digital watches I truly did. I felt like since I was in IT it was the "thing" to do. Just hated the things.
Then I bought my first fully mechanical chronograph automatic ( and a watch winder ) and never looked back.
The craftsmanship and knowing how intricate each piece is just to tell time is wonderful. I'll never go back to a watch I need to plug in.
I'm not a fan of digital watches either. I have a few mechanical Hamilton's with Gunny straps and a PAM Regatta 1950. Regrettably, I don't wear any of them anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #59
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not a fan of digital watches either. I have a few mechanical Hamilton's with Gunny straps and a PAM Regatta 1950. Regrettably, I don't wear any of them anymore.
My current daily wear is an Omega Seamaster chrono. Really am a fan of the blue dial. Fun fact, I met Adam Savage of mythbusters fame. He has the same watch. made my day.
Attached Images

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24814.00
zamboni1124.50
DeeKay553.00
Mavus2014.50
      06-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #60
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My current daily wear is an Omega Seamaster chrono. Really am a fan of the blue dial. Fun fact, I met Adam Savage of mythbusters fame. He has the same watch. made my day.
That's a beautiful watch.

My daily while at work is a G-Shock. It's built like a tank. Lol!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
zamboni1124.50
      06-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #61
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Just so good . I miss the “big 3”. Impossible to read without hearing his voice. He’s not just a great reviewer he’s a great writer. Hoping they do another gran tour special, the last two were great . Thanks for posting OP.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #62
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Xennials
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xennials
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #63
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
When I bought my manual M2C my dealer told that the manual take rate for M2C is below 10% (Belgium/Luxembourg market). For M3/M4 it is around 5 % . On some other markets like France, England it is even lower explaining why the new G80/G82 is only available as competition model.
Extremely ironic considering how much Americans romanticize rowing gears in European cars (specifically German engineered) down their legendary roads.

Meanwhile Europeans are like

Lamborhini and Ferrari haven't offered a manual car in nearly a decade. The "I hate this BMW, I'm going to get a P car" crowd's dream car, the 911 Turbo hasn't been offered in manual form for nearly a decade.

Time to let it go.

Last edited by OSee; 06-06-2021 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
DeeKay553.00
      06-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #64
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
Extremely ironic considering how much Americans romanticize rowing gears in European cars (specifically German engineered) down their legendary roads.

Meanwhile Europeans are like

Lamborhini and Ferrari haven't offered a manual car in nearly a decade. The "I hate this BMW, I'm going to get a P car" crowd's dream car, the 911 Turbo hasn't been offered in manual form for nearly a decade.

Time to let it go.
I would wager most are dreaming of GT cars over the Turbo, and the GT3/4 come with manuals (…and when Porsche ditched the manual their buyers revolted, and Porsche promptly brought it back). My incoming C2S is manual and my commuter '21 Corolla SE is manual as well. Automatic/DCT/PDK/etc. cars are just plain uninspiring to me. There's absolutely a case for automation, but for me personally it just takes half of the enjoyment out of driving…..especially as it pertains to sports/sporty cars. I would feel the same way if my track bike shifted for me. Riding wouldn't be as much fun.
Appreciate 2
zamboni1124.50
OSee933.50
      06-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #65
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

People who had to drive manuals when they were younger (or saw their parents have to do it) because of cost or technology don't like them. They're a chore to be avoided.

People who could choose to drive manuals and did so in sporty cars on fun drives when they were younger like them. They're a treat to be sought out.

We were all imprinted with associations when we were younger.

It's basic anthropology to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #66
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Someone who's 39 and someone who is 22 don't share much in common. It really should be those born before the Internet was commonly used, those born after, and those born after social media. But that's not how they officially declare generations, it's just this huge slice of people who don't share a common experience.

As time moves forward things change at a faster and faster rate making these generations make less and less sense. Two hundred years ago not a lot changed in twenty years. Twenty years from now people might have their computer/phone hooked up to their brain.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24814.00
NYCMT135.00