BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-12-2022, 09:04 PM   #1
G80Throwaway
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80

Check for shipping wheel blocks/spacers during collection!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I recently took delivery of my new vehicle and immediately drove 30 miles from the dealership to a PPF shop. The ride felt a little stiff but I chalked it up to the suspension needing to settle and the aggressive M settings I toggled for the drive. I got a call from my PPF installer a couple days into the project to tell me that the dealership had neglected to take off the spacers BMW puts on the wheel struts to protect the vehicle from bottoming out during the shipping process.

I immediately called the dealership to report the issue and demanded that they either (a) send a tech to the PPF shop to remove the spacers or (b) send a flatbed to the shop when the PPF was complete to haul the vehicle back to the dealership so the blocks could be removed. They were extremely embarrassed and apologetic. They elected to send the manager of the service department and a technician to the PPF shop to remove the blocks on site. I was assured that no damage resulted from the 30 mile drive. They also invited me to the dealership next week to show me in-person that no damage has been done and to check the alignment and suspension for any issues.

I'm posting this as a cautionary tale. Always check that the dealership has removed the shipping blocks before you roll off the lot.

I am posting this on a throwaway account because the dealership has honestly been fantastic outside of this hiccup. They also took complete responsibility for the mistake and have accommodated all of my requests. Given their model behavior, I don't want to post anything online that could harm them. If I posted on my main account, people could figure out who the dealership is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
G-Mann413.00
T0RM3NT3602.50
LuckyBrand1246.50
'Cane8477.00
      07-12-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
This shit's still happening?

Name and shame the dealership. Hopefully it's not one of the previous culprits.
Limegrntaln13404.50
MassComp2120.50
      07-12-2022, 09:14 PM   #3
G80Throwaway
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Name and shame the dealership.
Just not willing to do this. As I said, they've been incredibly responsive, taken full responsibility for their mistake, and have done everything I asked (and more) to make the situation right. Before this hiccup, they accommodated me in other ways that went above and beyond. They're a good dealership that simply fucked up and I'm not going to drag them on the internet. I just want to remind people to check for this issue when they take delivery.
Appreciate 5
kooft168.50
BMWM4CX281.50
2011ninja3376.00
Seanhfx217.00
      07-12-2022, 09:45 PM   #4
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80Throwaway View Post
Just not willing to do this. As I said, they've been incredibly responsive, taken full responsibility for their mistake, and have done everything I asked (and more) to make the situation right. Before this hiccup, they accommodated me in other ways that went above and beyond. They're a good dealership that simply fucked up and I'm not going to drag them on the internet. I just want to remind people to check for this issue when they take delivery.
Absolutely ! Everyone is far from perfect, left alone a dealer with hundreds of employees and dozen of cars sold / serviced / preparation everyday. Mistake can happen. What to do and remediation action for it count.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 09:58 PM   #5
Mark Kez
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Convertible

Quote:
Agree. Crap, if I got called out for every mistake I made I’d still be married!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 10:29 PM   #6
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Did they refund your PDI
Appreciate 1
forcefed2538.50
      07-13-2022, 07:50 AM   #7
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Name and shame the dealership.
Good man.

Mistakes happen and annoying as they are, no harm was done in the long run. What counts is how people handle their mistakes and correct them.

A lot on here are way too dramatic and want to drag every man and his dog down. I admire your approach, it's genuinely nice to see 🙂
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 10:10 AM   #8
FoxberryJam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 CompX; '98 m Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM4CX View Post
Good man.

Mistakes happen and annoying as they are, no harm was done in the long run. What counts is how people handle their mistakes and correct them.

A lot on here are way too dramatic and want to drag every man and his dog down. I admire your approach, it's genuinely nice to see 🙂
100% agreed - no need to drag that Dealer down, but I sure as hell will be checking for this when I eventually pick my car up!
BMWM4CX281.50
      07-13-2022, 10:17 AM   #9
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Did they refund your PDI
Id like to say this has been taken care of, and no dealers are doing it, anymore. I haven't seen it in about 6 months, so, there are probably more people out there, that still have them installed. Luckily, my dealer zip tied them all together, and put them in a ziplock bag for me, and put them in the trunk, so I knew they were removed.

PDIs don't cost anything in the US. The car doesn't belong to you until you sign the paperwork.

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 07-13-2022 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #10
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Good for you OP. Good luck with the ride
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 05:21 PM   #11
pabusky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Am I 800 mi too late to worry?
Is there specific sign of the ride quality that one can feel the shipping blocks?
Or is there a measurement of front and rear wheel gap in normal condition that I can refer to?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 06:05 PM   #12
xXMPowerXx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ford, Lexi, Lambo's

Good looking out for the rest of us.

And commendable the way you and your dealer handled it.
Appreciate 0