BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-19-2021, 07:37 AM   #45
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by My8thMandcounting View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
Can you take a picture of the rear heated seats? I haven't seen a single American car with them. Do you have a non-HEA car?
Coming back to this. I actually don't have rear heated seats. In my mind I did, but I think that's because I had them in my F80. In looking at the BMW site, they don't have any package with rear heated seats. In the F80 they had a cold weather package, but they don't offer that here.
Damn that sucks. So no rear heated seats or rear arm rest? That's quite a cheap move for a not cheap car.
Seems an odd move by BMW considering you can get heated rear seats on the G20 in one of the packages.
Appreciate 1
Jcali861479.00
      03-19-2021, 09:00 AM   #46
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigahRouge View Post
I filled my G82 today with gas. The tank is only a little over 13 gallons. Fuel economy is terrible. The range is in the low 300's with a full tank. But I still LOVE HER!!❤️❤️
wow only 13 gallons? Thought i read 16 somewhere. Not a dealbreaker though lol
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #47
My8thMandcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Is there a power port up under the passenger dash as in previous generations?
Mine does not. However, it has the wireless charging pad in front of the console, and then a parallel port and a 12 volt outlet by the cupholder.

And two outlets in the back of the center console (although those are not parallel, they are android style).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #48
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
I filled my G82 today with gas. The tank is only a little over 13 gallons. Fuel economy is terrible. The range is in the low 300's with a full tank. But I still LOVE HER!!❤️❤️
The tank is 15.6 gals. It says right in the technical specs on the car on bmw's website. It probably has a 2.5 gal reserve.
      03-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #49
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
How empty were you? When I fill my F80's from empty it's 14.2. The actual tank is 15.5 with the reserve.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #50
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post

It's a shame they get rear heated seats in Europe/Canada, rear center armrest and also the fancy frozen colors for 50% off. I wonder how hard it will be to buy the part and install it myself. So dumb on their behalf I'd pay extra for that feature.

Here is the rear heated seat option for EU:
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=4

Frustrating paying $100,000 and you get blank buttons in the rear.
?
Dude Frozen Dark Grey costs 5070 Dollar (4700 CHF) in Switzerland, same goes for Frozen Portimao Blue. Frozen Brilliant White is even more...
Rear heated seats costs additional money.
Armrest I have no idea
Haha but it is cheaper in Canada and England I believe for the paint! I wouldn't mind paying the extra $$$ for the seats though.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      03-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #51
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:
wow only 13 gallons? Thought i read 16 somewhere. Not a dealbreaker though lol
Strange, as I'm pretty sure my G20 is about 16 gallons. Although are we talking UK gallons vs US (about 20% difference, which would account for 13 vs 16).

(Just noted original comment was from the US, so it isn't the US vs UK thing)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #52
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
ha-ha. You do not drive it hard enough. I never see more than 270 range on my M340
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      03-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #53
killhour
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4C xDrive, Focus RS, DB9 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
How good is the wireless Android auto integration? I've only ever used the wired version on my Jeep.
It's very good and easy to set up - much easier than in any other car I've used. It supports the full widescreen display and has HUD integration too.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #54
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by killhour View Post
It's very good and easy to set up - much easier than in any other car I've used. It supports the full widescreen display and has HUD integration too.
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:35 AM   #55
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
Quote:
How is the sound system for everyone?
I have Executive Package which includes Harmon Kardon audio. It's even worse than 2020 BMW X1 base audio.
Damn. Looks like I'll be upgrading it then as probably my first mod.
      03-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #56
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
I've upgraded the sound in every BMW I've owned. The HK in this is no where near as bad as the fake "HK" sound was in my M2C. And I've heard the base audio in the 2 series and the X1 and it's utterly dreadful. I'm not discounting that our fellow forum member is unhappy with it, but it really is no where near as bad as base X1 sound.

The primary issues with it are the same as earlier HK systems I've heard:

1. the metal HK tweeters are harsh. I've used HK tweets with expert DSP work running through them and they never stop being harsh but aren't physically that awful. It's placement and tuning. The location of the front tweeters essentially demands soft-dome tweeters unless the human listening to them really loves high notes.
2. We're too close to the driver's side speakers. This was REALLY an issue in the smaller 2, but remains an issue in the 3. My SO has a 530e and it's JUST far enough away. Echolocation causes this to always seem off at that point, and the system's use of the evil center channel doesn't help. Fade 1 step back, and two steps right (for left-hand drive) and it reduces the issue considerably in the G80 (and makes it worse for your passenger)
3. The Under-Seat woofers are underpowered in relation to the rest of the drivers. Again, I think it's less of an issue on the G80 system after living with it for a week and a half, but I still have the bass pushed further up in the EQ than I would if the power ratio was spread out better.

Overall, I'm less offended by the HK system in my M3 than I have been with any other HK system I've had. And I'm deeply picky.

One other note:

EVERY comment about audio systems comes down to what you are listening to, what your ears are used to, and what your ears are capable of. You can run spectrum analyzers until the end of time, but most humans are NOT looking for a perfect system. They are looking for a sound system that meets their specific criteria. I don't listen to techno, rap, house, or EDM. Or Country. But I listen to almost everything else. I've heard a system tuned specifically for a guy who loves EDM. He loved it, I hated it. The professional tuner also hated it but it was what they guy wanted.

I think most buyers won't notice where this HK system fails. Time will tell how much it's particular failures annoy me and what that eventually does to my budget. :-)
Appreciate 4
admranger2981.50
Remonster821.00
Cinco156.00
      03-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #57
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Thanks bri1042 really appreciate the detailed response!

I'll obviously wait until I hear it myself, I have high hopes for it and anything is better than my wife's car.

I like the sound of Klipsch horns so I'm used to a somewhat harsher sound in the highs for my music. I know the bass will be lacking; it always is in most systems.

Thanks, gives me some hope I'll like it just fine for a while.
      03-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #58
pg80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Seems an odd move by BMW considering you can get heated rear seats on the G20 in one of the packages.
iv seen G80s with them but they were euro cars
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 12:44 PM   #59
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Quote:
I've upgraded the sound in every BMW I've owned. The HK in this is no where near as bad as the fake "HK" sound was in my M2C. And I've heard the base audio in the 2 series and the X1 and it's utterly dreadful. I'm not discounting that our fellow forum member is unhappy with it, but it really is no where near as bad as base X1 sound.

1. the metal HK tweeters are harsh. I've used HK tweets with expert DSP work running through them and they never stop being harsh but aren't physically that awful. It's placement and tuning. The location of the front tweeters essentially demands soft-dome tweeters unless the human listening to them really loves high notes.
2. We're too close to the driver's side speakers. This was REALLY an issue in the smaller 2, but remains an issue in the 3. My SO has a 530e and it's JUST far enough away. Echolocation causes this to always seem off at that point, and the system's use of the evil center channel doesn't help. Fade 1 step back, and two steps right (for left-hand drive) and it reduces the issue considerably in the G80 (and makes it worse for your passenger)
3. The Under-Seat woofers are underpowered in relation to the rest of the drivers. Again, I think it's less of an issue on the G80 system after living with it for a week and a half, but I still have the bass pushed further up in the EQ than I would if the power ratio was spread out better.

Overall, I'm less offended by the HK system in my M3 than I have been with any other HK system I've had. And I'm deeply picky.

One other note:

EVERY comment about audio systems comes down to what you are listening to, what your ears are used to, and what your ears are capable of. You can run spectrum analyzers until the end of time, but most humans are NOT looking for a perfect system. They are looking for a sound system that meets their specific criteria. I don't listen to techno, rap, house, or EDM. Or Country. But I listen to almost everything else. I've heard a system tuned specifically for a guy who loves EDM. He loved it, I hated it. The professional tuner also hated it but it was what they guy wanted.

I think most buyers won't notice where this HK system fails. Time will tell how much it's particular failures annoy me and what that eventually does to my budget. :-)
I am a little surprised they went with the HK sound system for the M3/M4. They put in merino leather as standard, but then cheap out on sound. I guess maybe they just figure people who want to upgrade will do aftermarket anyway. I had a B&O system 2 cars ago and Bose in my current car, and the B&O was hands down the best, just beautiful sound. That said, HK knows owns B&O's auto division, so maybe those differences are a myth now anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #60
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Mine does not. However, it has the wireless charging pad in front of the console, and then a parallel port and a 12 volt outlet by the cupholder.

And two outlets in the back of the center console (although those are not parallel, they are android style).
I've always plugged my phone wireless phone charger cradle into that under the dash outlet and then run it up to the passenger center vent. Putting it in the center console plug doesn't sound as tidy. Although if the android auto integration works well maybe I won't have to and can just set it in the charger.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:47 PM   #61
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

bri1042 you have musicar nw in Portland so you can get excellent sound, though it does require $$$

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:58 PM   #62
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
I am a little surprised they went with the HK sound system for the M3/M4. They put in merino leather as standard, but then cheap out on sound. I guess maybe they just figure people who want to upgrade will do aftermarket anyway. I had a B&O system 2 cars ago and Bose in my current car, and the B&O was hands down the best, just beautiful sound. That said, HK knows owns B&O's auto division, so maybe those differences are a myth now anyway
You can upgrade everything else on cars. You'd think that on an ~$80k car they'd give you the option to upgrade the stereo. Tons of people would do it and they'd make more money on it. And afterall, I need better speakers to be able to hear my fake engine noise though...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 05:23 AM   #63
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Quote:

One other note:

You just brought me back to my old days when I tuned all my sound systems with an oscilloscope. Before I cared about weight and started noticing hearing loss from playing drums, attending 4-5 metal concerts a month, etc., I used to run 2 JL 12W7's in my trunk and had super high end Morel mids and tweeters. I was nuts about audio and used to periodically double check the preamp voltage from my head unit to the amp lol. I ran McIntosh head units FTW!!
Appreciate 2
Jcali861479.00
admranger2981.50
      03-20-2021, 06:24 AM   #64
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
bri1042 you have musicar nw in Portland so you can get excellent sound, though it does require $$$
Yes, and I've had their systems in my car before. And I still have plenty of equipment left for upgrading a fiber-op HK system (Mobridge, amps, DSP). The issue with MusicarNW is location. I'm 30 miles away from them and can't really leave my car with them for unspecified amounts of time. They used to be very sensitive to that and no longer feel the need to be. Or didn't in 2018 when I got my M2, so that upgrade was my own work based on what I learned from their work (so not as quite as extensive or well-tuned).

If I end up unable to live with the HK, I may again try and get them to treat me as a remote customer instead of a local one.
Appreciate 1
admranger2981.50
      03-22-2021, 09:21 AM   #65
My8thMandcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Anyone else surprised that the wiper fluid comes out on the actual wiper blades and doesn't spray against the windshield? I thought my sprayer was clogged or broken, then figured out it sprays from the wiper blade.
Appreciate 4
Kansr163.00
kyleb350422.00
chicagofan0018923.00
      03-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #66
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M8

Quote:
Anyone else surprised that the wiper fluid comes out on the actual wiper blades and doesn't spray against the windshield? I thought my sprayer was clogged or broken, then figured out it sprays from the wiper blade.
NEWS to me, I haven’t had to spray yet. Just ran out to check crazy.
Appreciate 1