BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-16-2021, 08:20 PM   #23
miles_early
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, G05 X5, E46 M3,

Pretty sure this is the only way to get the drift analyzer
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:07 PM   #24
vampire81
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C / '19 ZL1

will the 10-step traction save my a$$ if i mess up, similar to MDM?
      06-16-2021, 11:21 PM   #25
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire81 View Post
will the 10-step traction save my a$$ if i mess up, similar to MDM?
MDM is 7 on the 10 stage traction control.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2021, 04:38 AM   #26
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
I've submitted my build for the G80 xDrive but didn't include this option. Just found out the 10-step drift control is only via this add-on. I could care less about the drift analyzer, but not sure whether the 10-step drift control is worth the $900. Do you guys think this is a necessary option to have?
I did the exact same thing you did and I regret not getting it. I could not care less about the drift analyzer but it sure would’ve been fun to adjust it from 1 to 10. I have since contacted BMW corporate and complained and asked if I could have it added after. After two weeks of investigation they came back and said no. So if you want it you had better call them now and see if you can have them add it to it because once your vehicle is built it’s too late.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 07:42 AM   #27
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I did the exact same thing you did and I regret not getting it. I could not care less about the drift analyzer but it sure would’ve been fun to adjust it from 1 to 10. I have since contacted BMW corporate and complained and asked if I could have it added after. After two weeks of investigation they came back and said no. So if you want it you had better call them now and see if you can have them add it to it because once your vehicle is built it’s too late.
If enough people complain I have a feeling they will budge. Or the aftermarket will figure out a retrofit solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #28
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

In order to increase vmax you need still the M Driver's Package?
IMHO it's kind of silly to offer something branded as Professional without an increase in vmax.
The current limited vmax is very easy to achieve, drama free and to low for this car.
I know in other countries this was an option that could be purchased and installed by the dealer after delivery.
If this is not offered in the US the only option with be a flash that voids the warranty.
Sorry to hijack.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #29
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
FOMO has gotten the best of me, I called the broker and told them to see if they can add it. I don't want to chance them messing up the build or delaying the order though, so if it doesn't go through I'd rather not force it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:07 PM   #30
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
In order to increase vmax you need still the M Driver's Package?
IMHO it's kind of silly to offer something branded as Professional without an increase in vmax.
The current limited vmax is very easy to achieve, drama free and to low for this car.
I know in other countries this was an option that could be purchased and installed by the dealer after delivery.
If this is not offered in the US the only option with be a flash that voids the warranty.
Sorry to hijack.
The m drivers package and m driver professional are two different options. One adds drift analyzer and advanced tcs while the other is a one day drivers school and the VMAX upgrade. The latter is not available with a sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #31
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
If enough people complain I have a feeling they will budge. Or the aftermarket will figure out a retrofit solution.
Brother I hope you’re right. To be honest with you I’m pretty pissed off about it. It was not clear enough, at least to me, and the description that’s the only way you got the adjustable 1 through 10 traction control was with the drift analyzer. Now that I reread it three or four times I can understand where I made my mistake. I would’ve thought it was just adding software to it. Just like opening it up to 180 mph. That is definitely a software thing. I wonder if they will say you can’t add that after it’s built. If they say you can’t then we will know they are full of crap and just don’t want to.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #32
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep

Quote:
Brother I hope you’re right. To be honest with you I’m pretty pissed off about it. It was not clear enough, at least to me, and the description that’s the only way you got the adjustable 1 through 10 traction control was with the drift analyzer. Now that I reread it three or four times I can understand where I made my mistake. I would’ve thought it was just adding software to it. Just like opening it up to 180 mph. That is definitely a software thing. I wonder if they will say you can’t add that after it’s built. If they say you can’t then we will know they are full of crap and just don’t want to.
The guy who I spoke to from design and engineering seemed like he wanted to say it was going to happen in the future but he wasn't allowed to say anything. Hope it's the case, if you can retrofit remote start in CA via the dealership and connecteddrive then you should be able to enable any other purely software options. Can't believe BMW penny pinched 900 like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #33
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
Brother I hope you're right. To be honest with you I'm pretty pissed off about it. It was not clear enough, at least to me, and the description that's the only way you got the adjustable 1 through 10 traction control was with the drift analyzer. Now that I reread it three or four times I can understand where I made my mistake. I would've thought it was just adding software to it. Just like opening it up to 180 mph. That is definitely a software thing. I wonder if they will say you can't add that after it's built. If they say you can't then we will know they are full of crap and just don't want to.

Same exact thing I went though, thought it was just for the drift analyzer and lap timer and didn't care for either of those. After I placed my order I found out that you needed it for the MTC. That should have been the first line of the description.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #34
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
This is from the technical documentation. I don't think anyone on the board here has fully tested it out to prove if the $900 is fully justified. I optioned just for the hell of it because who doesn't love having the most amount of control/adjustability of their vehicle as possible.

The G80/G82 receives the so-called M traction control in the optional equipment M Drive Professional (SA 1MB).
The following conditions must be satisfied in order to be able to use the M traction control:
• DSC OFF
• 2WD activated for the M all-wheel drive
The M traction control is a traction controller, which allows the customer in the rear-wheel drive to learn the oversteering in steps. The customer can permit an automated defined slip at the rear wheels in 10 adjustable steps.
In order to adjust the M traction control to the different ambient conditions, the M traction control with the coefficient of friction assessor detects the following conditions during the journey by means of various slip factors:
• Tire type (summer tires, winter tires, track tires, etc.)
• Tire condition (tire thread, etc.)
• Road surface (tar, gravel, concrete, etc.)
• Weather conditions (wet, dry, snow, ice, etc.)
In the lower levels of the M traction control the slip controller is wide open, this means that a large slip is permitted at the drive wheels.
In the upper levels the slip controller is largely closed and permits almost no slip at the drive wheels. The M traction control acts as a traction aid here.
The following examples should serve as a guide for the levels:
• Level 10, the highest level. Acts as a traction aid in this range, protects the rear tires and if necessary brings them to the appropriate temperature.
• Level 9, offers the best traction on race tracks, e.g. the Nürburgring.
• Level 7, the M traction control acts as a traction aid from level 7 upwards.
• Level 6, the slip controller is always wide open from level 6 downwards.
• Level 0, here the slip controller is completely open, the maximum slip at the drive wheels is permitted, without any intervention from the slip controller.
This means that with an optimally set slip controller the customer can concentrate on the necessary steering movements during the oversteer at the steering wheel without also having to control the drive torque at the same time. The customer can therefore cautiously approach the complete oversteer of the vehicle slowly in steps and learn this with help of the M traction control. In conjunction with the M Drift Analyzer, the customer can have his progress or learning success evaluated and shared with like- minded individuals. Further information about the M Drift Analyzer can be found in the chapter "M Drift Analyzer".

As usually best information is always from the same guy
Appreciate 1
theone210253.50
      09-18-2021, 07:45 PM   #35
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm expecting to drive my G80 xDrive mostly in AWD mode as well, even if I go on a track. I can imagine the only time I will drive in 2WD would be a time that I want DSC completely off, as I now occasionally turn off to do some power slides on the street. I would only use the M Drive pro in a specific occasion on the track to practice drifting, but I don't think I'm good enough of a driver to drift like the way they do on the youtube videos
I'm a bit confused. Can you completely turn off DSC with the X-Drive? I'm planning to get the X-Drive primarily for tracking.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 10:23 PM   #36
S@v3f3rris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
I'm expecting to drive my G80 xDrive mostly in AWD mode as well, even if I go on a track. I can imagine the only time I will drive in 2WD would be a time that I want DSC completely off, as I now occasionally turn off to do some power slides on the street. I would only use the M Drive pro in a specific occasion on the track to practice drifting, but I don't think I'm good enough of a driver to drift like the way they do on the youtube videos
I'm a bit confused. Can you completely turn off DSC with the X-Drive? I'm planning to get the X-Drive primarily for tracking.
When shifting to 2WD on the xDrive DSC is off. Think I saw something on the 4wd system that said front wheels use dsc system to determine when to engage in 4WD or 4WD Sport so only way to have 2WD is for the DSC system to be totally off. M drive professional allows you to add adjustable traction control that will work for the rear wheels when the DSC is off.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 10:39 PM   #37
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@v3f3rris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
When shifting to 2WD on the xDrive DSC is off. Think I saw something on the 4wd system that said front wheels use dsc system to determine when to engage in 4WD or 4WD Sport so only way to have 2WD is for the DSC system to be totally off. M drive professional allows you to add adjustable traction control that will work for the rear wheels when the DSC is off.
correct meaning it's not really DSC off, I have it in my car as seen in the below pic

when I think DSC off you have 0 stability control this adds it back in different degrees so while technically it is still DSC off you have control
Attached Images

2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:27 PM   #38
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AMG c63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
Today I confirmed my AWD build without this option but I guess I'll watch this thread to see if someone changes my mind.
What was your consensus?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:31 PM   #39
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AMG c63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
If you're getting M xDrive and want to have any kind of TC in RWD mode, you need this package. RWD guys don't have this issue.
Hey- can you elaborate a bit more on this thought? I just ordered an AWD xdrive m4 and did opt for this package. My c63s had this 1-10 setting for traction control but I rarely used it being an RWD car. It always seemed like it was rowdy, or super rowdy.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 06:30 AM   #40
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci View Post
Hey- can you elaborate a bit more on this thought? I just ordered an AWD xdrive m4 and did opt for this package. My c63s had this 1-10 setting for traction control but I rarely used it being an RWD car. It always seemed like it was rowdy, or super rowdy.
Some of the guys have touched on it above.

In the RWD car, if you don't get the M Drive Professional package you still have DSC to lean on for traction control.

In the M xDrive car, in order to go 2WD, you have to disable DSC. So, if you don't get the M Drive Professional package, you will have no traction control.

My thinking was, if you go M xDrive, and want to have fun in 2WD mode, but want a bit of safety on the side and don't trust your foot - this option is a must.

As far as how well the 10-Stage TC works in 2WD mode, you'd have to ask one of the guys that have it.

Here's a brief video of how it works in the RWD car, I'm assuming it's the same for M xDrive in 2WD mode.

Last edited by mirob; 10-28-2021 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 4
kjx3162.50
M3AWD3178.00
T3CH46.50
      10-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #41
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
Today I confirmed my AWD build without this option but I guess I'll watch this thread to see if someone changes my mind.
What was your consensus?
I did not spec it and I don't think I'll regret my decision. If I ever switch to RWD it'll just be for the fun of it (midnight u-turn at a traffic light) and I won't be doing track days or drift sessions to experiment with multi-stage traction control etc. I expect to drive in 4WD Sport when I'm having fun in the twisties...

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #42
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Quote:
Some of the guys have touched on it above.

In the RWD car, if you don't get the M Drive Professional package you still have DSC to lean on for traction control.

In the M xDrive car, in order to go 2WD, you have to disable DSC. So, if you don't get the M Drive Professional package, you will have no traction control.

My thinking was, if you go M xDrive, and want to have fun in 2WD mode, but want a bit of safety on the side and don't trust your foot - this option is a must.

As far as how well the 10-Stage TC works in 2WD mode, you'd have to ask one of the guys that have it.

Here's a brief video of how it works in the RWD car, I'm assuming it's the same for M xDrive in 2WD mode.

Totally agreed!

Here's a video that Joe Achilis did a few days ago where he tested the 10-stage TC system on the skid pad:

Appreciate 4
theone210253.50
mirob2944.50
T3CH46.50
      10-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #43
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@v3f3rris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
correct meaning it's not really DSC off, I have it in my car as seen in the below pic

when I think DSC off you have 0 stability control this adds it back in different degrees so while technically it is still DSC off you have control
Be careful there's a difference between DSC (Stability Control) and TC (Traction Control). Using the 10 stage TC system in RWD mode gives you the ability to set the level of Traction Control but it does not provide any Stability Control (i.e. DSC is still off). For example, when DSC is ON it uses ABS in certain situations but in your case it'll be OFF.

Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #44
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

I have it in my car. I was adamant about having it.

I've used it now exactly zero times 🤪

Maybe someday I'll use it…..
Appreciate 4
M3AWD3178.00
Patton2502936.50
mirob2944.50
maelfyn153.50