BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

06-16-2021, 10:19 PM   #1
timeout
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80

Water spot removal

Sooo…

Unknowingly parked my BSM G80 next to a sprinkler. One side of it has a decent amount of water spots.

What else can I do to try and remove before polishing?

If I delay polishing, do I risk the current water spots increasing damage if they are already etched in, ie is it like rot that will continue to eat away? I can live with them if not.

20 hours after exposure I tried:
- Quick detail wipe - no luck
- Spray with water - no luck
- 2 bucket wash - no luck

48-72 hours
- Meguiars 47 (RV/boat) spot remover - no luck
- Meguiars water spot remover for cars - removed the water spot but leaves a hazy looking portion where I used it when I apply the pressure required to remove it. If I don’t apply a lot of pressure, it doesn’t remove it.

96 hours
- Mega clay - no luck

I can feel the rough surface when I run my hands over areas with the water spots still. Am I not being aggressive enough w/ clay?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:32 PM   #2
timeout
Registered
Rep

Photo I took

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:20 AM   #3
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

That's going to need a light polish I believe
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:22 AM   #4
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
At this point you are likely looking at needing to do a light polish to get rid of them. Had you been able to get a clay bar on it within a few hours, probably would have been ok.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 01:12 AM   #5
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Have you tried vinegar on a towel and let it soak for a few minutes? I've found this method to work best especially on sun-baked sprinkler spots.
Appreciate 1
Bobh5952.00
      06-17-2021, 06:27 AM   #6
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

I agree with trying vinegar first just to put your mind at ease, but in reality at this point you've used a number of different mechanical and chemical means of cleaning and will likely require a polish anyway. You'd certainly need to replace your sealant or wax as any number of these methods will have likely removed it. Do you have a D/A polisher? If so, I've had success with Meguiar's 205 to remove small impections and to get ready for sealant/wax, etc.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
timeout
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
I agree with trying vinegar first just to put your mind at ease, but in reality at this point you've used a number of different mechanical and chemical means of cleaning and will likely require a polish anyway. You'd certainly need to replace your sealant or wax as any number of these methods will have likely removed it. Do you have a D/A polisher? If so, I've had success with Meguiar's 205 to remove small impections and to get ready for sealant/wax, etc.
I don’t have a polisher. If I need to get it polished, I’ll take it to a shop. I’m new at this.

I can live with the spots for a little - it’s not that bad, just apparent up close and when under light.

If I delay getting it polished, is there risk of further cosmetic damage? It’s not like a rot that will continue to grow, right? The damage is already done?

Thanks for your guys input.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #8
HughesdePayne
Rep
Drives: ‘21 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
I don’t have a polisher. If I need to get it polished, I’ll take it to a shop. I’m new at this.

I can live with the spots for a little - it’s not that bad, just apparent up close and when under light.

If I delay getting it polished, is there risk of further cosmetic damage? It’s not like a rot that will continue to grow, right? The damage is already done?

Thanks for your guys input.
I've had similar issues in the past with an e90
Id go on car pro and buy "spotless" it's a bit more aggressive acidic water spot remover.
If that doesn't work you'll probably have it polished out

I doubt waiting any longer at this point will make much of a difference
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #9
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

It won't get any worse. Meguire's Crystal Polish works great and is best used by hand. Small patch, rub it in well and wipe off quickly. Don't need to use a lot of pressure, but rub it in until clear. I had some slight water spots--after waxing with Griot's Best in Show which surprised me. Came from the wash, of course, but the wax didn't remove it. Next time I washed with Meguiar's Wash plus Carnauba, and dried with Meguiar's Wax and Dry, they were completely gone. Washed and dried it the same way Tuesday--was overcast which helps, zero spots. Even a black car in the sun doesn't have to get spots if you keep rinsing it off. If you do get some, quick wax--again, I like Meguiar's with carnauba, will take them off if you do it immediately. PITA, but all 4 or our cars are black, so used to it. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #10
MHOW996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 M4, 2022 Ford Bronco

I have used The Last Coat products with excellent results on my F82 and my G82. They have a Water spot remover, that I have not tried yet.

https://thelastcoat.com/products/cle...r-spot-remover
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:26 AM   #11
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughesdePayne View Post
I've had similar issues in the past with an e90
Id go on car pro and buy "spotless" it's a bit more aggressive acidic water spot remover.
+1. CarPro Spotless is effective at removing mineral deposits left from dried hard water. Simply spray on, wait a minute or so, and wipe off.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 09:22 PM   #12
gurns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Dravit Grey

Water spots are troublesome. Personally, I wouldn’t wait too long to remove them. I have years of experience dealing with this menacing issue and have found a light cutting (abrasive) polish (i.e. Sonus SFX-2) is the most effective solution. Using an orbital polisher with a light cutting foam pad works best; the results are superlative. I have attempted to do it by hand with an appropriate applicator on a small area. I created more problems than I solved. When done with the water spot removal process I highly recommend putting on a polish sealant. If you take it to a detail shop it probably will take at least 5 -6 man hours to complete. It takes me longer than that since I add in a few more steps (e.g. wash car, clay bar, wash car, cutting polish, polish sealant, top coat (wax) when I fully detail the car. Paying for all that would cost more than I would want to spend so I do it myself - and enjoy it. Hope you find a good solution.
Appreciate 0