Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Ehhhh it's hard to qualify that statement. That's just as much an assumption based on a bias as anything else.
Not really brother. It's just what I have observed. Since I've been hanging out here the past couple of weeks it also seems to ring true here as well.
The 'Post isn't exactly a barometer for what's occurring in the real world. I suppose we'll see in 5-ish years time. All anecdotal references won't matter then.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #200
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
The 'Post isn't exactly a barometer for what's occurring in the real world. I suppose we'll see in 5-ish years time. All anecdotal references won't matter then.
Well as I said before what I have absolutely seen in the real world is sales are higher on the G80, at least initially, then they were on the F80. Significantly higher. Will that last? I have no idea. We will know in five years. I’ve also seen in the real world that the people who complain the most about the new grille are those who are emotionally or financially invested in the F80. I did not say they are the only people complaining about it I’m just saying that they seem to have the loudest voices, that I have observed anyway.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24815.50
sleepy75104.00
khanyam4801.50
      06-15-2021, 03:32 PM   #201
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Java Green F80

Quote:
Lol! I agree with the way the 992 makes the 991 look outdated (..especially when it comes to the non-GT models). I'm just mad at that GT wing/hood/bumper. Lol! Lucky duck though to be in any kind of position to purchase a GT3. I'll get there eventually. Acquiring this C2S was difficult enough.
It's probably going to wind up being the 2024/2025 model year. Second generation almost certainly. The dealers I contacted all said unless you want to pay ADM It's probably second gen or bust.

I wouldn't say I'm in a position either at the moment. Once this house is built end of this year I'll have to save most of the next year to get that down payment saved up. I'm hoping it takes at least that long for em to get to my spot in line to give me time.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24815.50
      06-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #202
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Buying something that so many trolls lose their sh*t over is part of the fun of this car. But I am a misanthrope at heart.
This was a large portion of my decision making process
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3275.00
      06-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #203
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I'm not sure another M3/M4 that looked similar to the F8x or current M5 was going to bring a lot of new buyers into dealerships. I like the M5 but it's pretty low key in the styling department and I think the F8x is only beautiful to BMW fans as it doesn't really stand out in a crowd.
heavyD^2

I caught up with a F82 today on the road and we 'played' a little bit for the few miles we shared on the roadway. . . all I can say is that the F82 remains a fucking beautiful car with amazing road presence.

WAYYYYYY better than my G80C . . . and the G82 is just a head-scratcher to me. Cannot believe BMW went from the F82 to the G82. Really a shame.

Anyway, the F82 is just an amazing creature on the roadways. Do I feel that way because I am an enthusiast? I guess that is possible.

///AVM
Pump the brakes on the G82 shaming chief
Appreciate 1
golovko379.00
      06-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #204
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Pump the brakes on the G82 shaming chief
LBbluem2

Ooops, got a little out line in trying to make my point . . . I will do better next time.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 10:14 PM   #205
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
For me it depends on color, wheels, etc…..but it's like that with every BMW to me. Sometimes I see an F8X, for example, that does nothing for me and other times I'm cranking my neck as one passes.
I find the non-Comps look too plain and you have to squint to make sure it's not a regular 3 or 4 series. The Competition models stand out better and as you say color makes a big difference.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24815.50
      06-16-2021, 12:43 AM   #206
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
CS owners in general seem to be very protective of their badge? Progress is always great!
CS owners are the most resistant to the G80. They went from being the "kings" of the F80 to just another owner of a prior gen m3. No better than people that own a limerock E92 lol.

FYI, I still own my CS so I'm allowed to talk sh*t.
90% of drivers that own either can't drive them to anywhere near their limits so what does it matter. I'm allowed to talk sheet too because I still own my CS too
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #207
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Quote:
I find the non-Comps look too plain and you have to squint to make sure it's not a regular 3 or 4 series. The Competition models stand out better and as you say color makes a big difference.
Dear lord, the G80 is anything but plain! I'm a 6MT fanboy, but I have a hard time understanding why the base M4 would be faster than the M3 Comp...
      06-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #208
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
Dear lord, the G80 is anything but plain! I'm a 6MT fanboy, but I have a hard time understanding why the base M4 would be faster than the M3 Comp...
Full Auto vs 6MT. The driver is not selecting the gears in full auto. If the comparison was between a M3 Comp in S3 vs M4 6MT the M3 would be faster. You lose a lot of time, speed, momentum when not in the right gear.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      06-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #209
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
Quote:
He was referring to the F8X.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #210
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I find some of the comments here absolutely hilarious. I guess I’m one of the lucky early F80 drivers who escaped with his life, despite the car having tried to kill me numerous times. I should probably buy a lottery ticket, see if the luck holds.

On the other hand, I’m glad the G80 has the driver’s best interest at heart.

All joking aside, I look forward to seeing them on track…

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:40 PM   #211
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I find some of the comments here absolutely hilarious. I guess I'm one of the lucky early F80 drivers who escaped with his life, despite the car having tried to kill me numerous times. I should probably buy a lottery ticket, see if the luck holds.

On the other hand, I'm glad the G80 has the driver's best interest at heart.

All joking aside, I look forward to seeing them on track…
I never felt like my OG YMB M4 ever tried to kill me. Maybe I didn't push it hard enough?!? <shrug> Both my '15 and '17 felt fairly similar to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 12:43 AM   #212
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
There's no reason an M3 should get out-handled by a base SS Camaro, but it happened.
#Truth
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 01:12 AM   #213
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Quote:
There's no reason an M3 should get out-handled by a base SS Camaro, but it happened.
#Truth
Why not?!? Higher end Mustang's and Camaro's (…which includes the SS) have always run neck & neck with M3's……going back at least as far as the E46 M3……

….all for a lower price of entry.

For example, 2003 WS6 Fire hawk Camaros and SVT Mustangs used to absolutely romp on E46 M's, especially from a roll. The American muscle was faster in the 1/4 mile too. I used to see Camaro's, 'Stangs and Vettes at autox events in the early 2000's putting in work on the Germans (…with lower tech….push rod, etc.).

Case in point:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...camaro-ss/amp/

It has been like this for 20 years.

…and I love these old comparo articles:

https://www.stangbangers.com/home/20...pe-cambiocorsa

M3 owners have always understood the competition was equally as fast or faster, but we went with the Germans for the tech/innovation, the quality and all of the other intangibles that don't translate into objective performance numbers. We love(d) our M's, but they were not necessarily kings of the performance hills. When it came to performance and modifications, American muscle was potent and for less financial outlay. I still remember the first time I ever rode in a modded SVT. My god was that car an animal.
Appreciate 4
///AVM2528.00
chicagofan0018923.00
JTO245246.50
mirob2944.50
      06-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #214
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Why not?!? Higher end Mustang's and Camaro's (…which includes the SS) have always run neck & neck with M3's……going back at least as far as the E46 M3……

For example, 2003 WS6 Fire hawk Camaros and SVT Mustangs used to absolutely romp on E46 M's, especially from a roll. The American muscle was faster in the 1/4 mile too. I used to see Camaro's, 'Stangs and Vettes at autox events in the early 2000's putting in work on the Germans (…with lower tech….push rod, etc.).

Case in point:

M3 owners have always understood the competition was equally as fast or faster, but we went with the Germans for the tech/innovation, the quality and all of the other intangibles that don't translate into objective performance numbers. We love(d) our M's, but they were not necessarily kings of the performance hills. When it came to performance and modifications, American muscle was potent and for less financial outlay. I still remember the first time I ever rode in a modded SVT. My god was that car an animal.
Bro when I priced out my G80 and ordered it I also priced out a Mustang GT and a Camaro ZL1 and they were every bit as expensive if not more depending on options. Perhaps you mean the mustang and Camaros of the past? They are certainly not less money today. Both those cars do claim faster 0 to 60 in the build sheet then the G80 also. I’m not sure if it’s true or not but a G80 definitely has much cooler tech then those other two. In fact it’s not even close. So I agree with you there.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #215
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Case in point:

Bro when I priced out my G80 and ordered it I also priced out a Mustang GT and a Camaro ZL1 and they were every bit as expensive if not more depending on options. Perhaps you mean the mustang and Camaros of the past? They are certainly not less money today. Both those cars do claim faster 0 to 60 in the build sheet then the G80 also. I'm not sure if it's true or not but a G80 definitely has much cooler tech then those other two. In fact it's not even close. So I agree with you there.
Yes, I was referring to the past in terms of price. Things have definitely crept up over the years on the American side. I still have some of the old dealer window slips from my earlier 2003 M3, 2005 ZCP M3, 2008 M3, etc…..and the E46's were in the high 50's or so. Considering a G8X starts in the 70's, that's not too bad of a price creep considering. The American muscle options are still cheaper. The Roush Mustang's are great value…….and talk about sound. They sound amazing!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #216
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Case in point:

Bro when I priced out my G80 and ordered it I also priced out a Mustang GT and a Camaro ZL1 and they were every bit as expensive if not more depending on options. Perhaps you mean the mustang and Camaros of the past? They are certainly not less money today. Both those cars do claim faster 0 to 60 in the build sheet then the G80 also. I’m not sure if it’s true or not but a G80 definitely has much cooler tech then those other two. In fact it’s not even close. So I agree with you there.
Where do you live? The GT starts at $28k in the US and the G80 starts at $70k. It's more than twice as expensive.

Even if you take the ZL1, a much better and more expensive car than the GT, it starts at 60k with all the options you'd want.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24815.50
JTO245246.50
      06-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #217
dave12285
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Where do you live? The GT starts at $28k in the US and the G80 starts at $70k. It's more than twice as expensive.

Even if you take the ZL1, a much better and more expensive car than the GT, it starts at 60k with all the options you'd want.
The GT starts at $37,480. With the Performance Pack, $43,980.

GT500 starts at $74,095

Camaro ZL1 starts at $65,895

G80 M3 base manual starts at $70,895
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:32 AM   #218
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Dude!!!! Lol.

Go build one. If you put the engine in it would need to have a prayer of keeping up with the G80 i.e. becoming it’s equal then it starts at $70,000 and it goes up from there considerably. As does the ZL1. You know we do have a pretty good cheap 3 series ourselves in the BMW line up that starts around 40K? Let’s keep this apples to apples shall we? If we do then my statement is dead on accurate.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #219
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Dude!!!! Lol.

Go build one. If you put the engine in it would need to have a prayer of keeping up with the G80 i.e. becoming it's equal then it starts at $70,000 and it goes up from there considerably. As does the ZL1. You know we do have a pretty good cheap 3 series ourselves in the BMW line up that starts around 40K? Let's keep this apples to apples shall we? If we do then my statement is dead on accurate.
Sorry, I disagree. A GT500 and ZL1 are not an apples/to-apples comparison to the G80 - both the Ford and the Chevy would eat the G80 alive.

The ZL1 is cheaper than the G80, although obviously not to the same extent as the Mustang GT. Frankly speaking, if all we cared about was performance, we'd all be driving Zl1s as they represent the single greatest performance bargain on sale today (especially with the track special 1LE package).

The Mustang GT is even cheaper still (at 37k, as you noted). You can't "spec out at GT to a GT500", as the GT500 isn't a trim level, it's a car onto itself.

At the core of the issue I think we agree though - the G80 is more expensive AND slower than the American counterparts, but comes with a ton of other benefits that can't be measured on a track or drag strip.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24815.50
      06-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #220
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I disagree. A GT500 and ZL1 are not an apples/to-apples comparison to the G80 - both the Ford and the Chevy would eat the G80 alive.

The ZL1 is cheaper than the G80, although obviously not to the same extent as the Mustang GT. Frankly speaking, if all we cared about was performance, we'd all be driving Zl1s as they represent the single greatest performance bargain on sale today (especially with the track special 1LE package).

The Mustang GT is even cheaper still (at 37k, as you noted). You can't "spec out at GT to a GT500", as the GT500 isn't a trim level, it's a car onto itself.

At the core of the issue I think we agree though - the G80 is more expensive AND slower than the American counterparts, but comes with a ton of other benefits that can't be measured on a track or drag strip.
That’s one heck of an exaggeration my friend. Just because BMW has held back the G80 to 50% of its capable power. And I was talking about the GT500. My bad on that. The GT500 is 70+K “Eat alive”?? Yeah no. Not the GT. Probably the GT500 yes. That’s certainly not if you unlock the s58. Put all three of those cars on a track stock and what would happen?? And I’m sure you’re not going to argue with me about technology.
Appreciate 0