BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-26-2021, 11:14 PM   #705
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Found another issue that I’m attributing to a software update that happened during the 1200 mile break in service but wasn’t told about.

When the car starts, the engine Auto Start/Stop is disabled. When I switch to M1/M2 where both also have the Start/Stop disabled, it stays disabled. When I switch away from M1/M2 to regular mode, Start/Stop turns on.

There isn’t a setting for controlling this anywhere I’ve looked.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      05-27-2021, 09:07 AM   #706
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Found another issue that I’m attributing to a software update that happened during the 1200 mile break in service but wasn’t told about.

When the car starts, the engine Auto Start/Stop is disabled. When I switch to M1/M2 where both also have the Start/Stop disabled, it stays disabled. When I switch away from M1/M2 to regular mode, Start/Stop turns on.

There isn’t a setting for controlling this anywhere I’ve looked.
I don't totally understand why I wouldn't also see this issue. Aren't software updates also done over the air? Or only when you bring it in for service? I don't have this behavior.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #707
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Found another issue that I'm attributing to a software update that happened during the 1200 mile break in service but wasn't told about.

There isn't a setting for controlling this anywhere I've looked.
That's strange, as I don't have that occurrence at all. Wonder if there's a hardware or software reset the BMW dealer can do to address that issue for you?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #708
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Quote:
Found another issue that I'm attributing to a software update that happened during the 1200 mile break in service but wasn't told about.

There isn't a setting for controlling this anywhere I've looked.
That's strange, as I don't have that occurrence at all. Wonder if there's a hardware or software reset the BMW dealer can do to address that issue for you?
I also did see an option in BimmerCode that allows you to permanently turn this off.
      05-28-2021, 06:57 AM   #709
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M8

Anyone have a weird burning plastic-ish smell after theirs break-in?

Also noticed a bit of uneasy idling not sure if this is an accessory kicking on. But even with AC off i see the digital needle moving a bit, today i noticed a huge jump to 1k rpm for a second then back down.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #710
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansr View Post

Also noticed a bit of uneasy idling not sure if this is an accessory kicking on. But even with AC off i see the digital needle moving a bit, today i noticed a huge jump to 1k rpm for a second then back down.
Yes, there's a thread about it on the General Forum.

Also yes for "uneasy idling," but not frequent at all. I've also had the fan kick on to VERY HIGH when I got out of the car while it was on to get something from the house. I initially though one of my kids was stepping on the gas pedal to rev up the engine, but nope, just the fan.

The only concerning part for me is the "rod knock" type noise that sometimes happens when idling the engine after turning it on. I'm assuming it's just S58 things.
Appreciate 1
Kansr163.00
      05-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #711
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M8

Quote:

Also yes for "uneasy idling," but not frequent at all. I've also had the fan kick on to VERY HIGH when I got out of the car while it was on to get something from the house. I initially though one of my kids was stepping on the gas pedal to rev up the engine, but nope, just the fan.

The only concerning part for me is the "rod knock" type noise that sometimes happens when idling the engine after turning it on. I'm assuming it's just S58 things.
I’ve had that fan spool as well, only seen it on an old chevy I had that had a problem with a temp sensor on the engine block that was sheared off somehow, car started to overheat the whole nine.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #712
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah rod knock noise on start up

Relatively rough idle at some times

And super loud cool down fans
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #713
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I’ve been hearing this rattle/knock noise as well. Only on a cold engine, and goes away completely once warmed. Some cold tolerances or something, who knows. BMW does like to plague their best engines with rod bearing issues though

My car is just over 1200 miles, and it’s been doing it since new, and even after the break in oil change.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #714
hockeygoalie35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp XDrive

When speccing out my car, I noticed there's no mention of comfort access....surly that's included standard, right?
2015 F32 - Sold
2009 E90 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:45 PM   #715
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoalie35 View Post
When speccing out my car, I noticed there's no mention of comfort access....surly that's included standard, right?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:50 PM   #716
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:

I too am experiencing all of these things during initial warmup. I have been hopefully chalking it up to the strange noises during warmup mentioned in the drivers handbook. Reading posts like yours makes me feel a bit better. This is the nosiest damn car I have ever owned. There always seems to be something going on.
      06-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #717
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the wipers to the change position in the 6MT. Has anyone managed to do this?? I follow the instructions in the manual but it doesn't seem to work for some obscure reason
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:45 AM   #718
MHOW996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 M4, 2022 Ford Bronco

Has anyone had the steering wheel vibrate when stopping at crosswalks? I know it is a safety feature. I have just chalked it up to one of the things to get used to.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #719
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHOW996 View Post
Has anyone had the steering wheel vibrate when stopping at crosswalks? I know it is a safety feature. I have just chalked it up to one of the things to get used to.
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the vibration only activated with lane departure at 70KM+!
      06-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #720
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
It does not come with kick lift tailgate there is automatic open and close feature but that’s it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
yea no i was surprsied to find the G8X not coming with the wing style "light carpet".. just a light underneath the mirror

so if that light carpet was projected from bottom of the car... i guess its cuz not compatible with the black side sill extension pieces?
The G8X technical training manual covers both of these topics.

The wing style light carpet does not come with the G8X due to the different "skateboard" style side rocker panels as the feature is actually a light underneath the rocker panel.

The G8X does come with the "kick" underneath the trunk for convenience opening except for cars with the exterior carbon fiber package. Makes sense, carbon fiber is too dense for the signal to transmit through. For those who are having issues without the ext. carbon fiber package, try refining your technique. I found it works best in past BMW's to kick right underneath where the BMW emblem is with a front to back motion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #721
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post

The wing style light carpet does not come with the G8X due to the different "skateboard" style side rocker panels as the feature is actually a light underneath the rocker panel.

The G8X does come with the "kick" underneath the trunk for convenience opening except for cars with the exterior carbon fiber package. Makes sense, carbon fiber is too dense for the signal to transmit through. For those who are having issues without the ext. carbon fiber package, try refining your technique. I found it works best in past BMW's to kick right underneath where the BMW emblem is with a front to back motion.
I don't have the CF exterior package. So my kick to open should work? They told me at my PCD that it wouldn't work on my car. It did stop working on my F82 when I put the CF diffuser on.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      06-14-2021, 10:40 PM   #722
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:

I don't have the CF exterior package. So my kick to open should work? They told me at my PCD that it wouldn't work on my car. It did stop working on my F82 when I put the CF diffuser on.
I had the Status Gruppe CF diffuser and it made me kick access more sensitive for some reason…….or maybe the sensor was less inhibited.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #723
Snt282
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:

In that attachment, only the second paragraph mentions anything about the tailgate. The third paragraph seems to be talking about touchless access in general. Not specific to the tailgate. The owners manual doesn't mention the kick to open feature at all. Do you have a G8X that you have actually tried and got this to work on? Also, see page 6 of the thread. Couple people confirmed the kick to open isn't an option
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #724
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Quote:
It does not come with kick lift tailgate there is automatic open and close feature but that’s it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
yea no i was surprsied to find the G8X not coming with the wing style "light carpet".. just a light underneath the mirror

so if that light carpet was projected from bottom of the car... i guess its cuz not compatible with the black side sill extension pieces?

It might vary by country, but I believe multiple people have confirmed tailgate lift isn't on the G80/82. Happy to be proven wrong, but almost certain that's the case
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #725
acre22f90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive40i

I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn off the red light camera notification. I know how to skip past it - but want it off all together. Anyone?
      06-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #726
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACremona22 View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn off the red light camera notification. I know how to skip past it - but want it off all together. Anyone?
Wait for it to expire? It was a 3-month trial on mine, and actually did me some good so re-upped it.
Appreciate 0