BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #67
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinHou View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Seems Jeremy really has just defaulted to writing tropes about "lazy millennials" like all the other decrepit old boomers these days.

The irony is it that majority of G80 M3 buyers (and TG/grand tour audience) these days are millennials?
You do realize that if you're 40-ish now, you technically are a millennial, right?!??
Yes. And I hate you for pointing it out.

Hey, I juuuuuust barely made the Gen X cut by a couple of years.
48 here. Born in '73. Solid genX. I would guess most G80 M buyers are 40 and older. Some younger who have high paying jobs. if I was 25 again and had the cash to buy an M3 I would probably just buy a house earlier. #oldGuyThoughts #Hashtag #AmIDoingThisRight?

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24967.00
      06-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #68
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geektechlive View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Seems Jeremy really has just defaulted to writing tropes about "lazy millennials" like all the other decrepit old boomers these days.

The irony is it that majority of G80 M3 buyers (and TG/grand tour audience) these days are millennials?
You do realize that if you're 40-ish now, you technically are a millennial, right?!??

48 here. Born in '73. Solid genX. I would guess most G80 M buyers are 40 and older. Some younger who have high paying jobs. if I was 25 again and had the cash to buy an M3 I would probably just buy a house earlier. #oldGuyThoughts #Hashtag #AmIDoingThisRight?
I agree.

I purchased my first M3 at 24: an '03 Phoenix Yellow/Imola Red E46 M3 (…trading up from an '02 330ci). Sigh! What a joyous moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #69
LSP
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche9114S, VolXC90T8, BMWX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puuhapete View Post
I have always loved Jeremys reviews
But on EV:s I don't agree.

I have now had my Taycan 4S for one month since having only BMW:s from 1991 with several M-cars. I really enjoy driving the Taycan fast. On twisty roads the grip is unbelievable for any car and especially for a car that weights almost 2.3 ton. I have an Autobahn exit, where I was able to drive 120 km/h with my F80 Comp. I can do same speed in the Taycan. The power which is always there immediately is really intoxicating. The steering is the best post hydraulic, I ever have experienced. Easily 992 level steering.

Of course I miss the sound and the rawness of an M3, so in that sense the Taycan can not compete. But it is a very refined car and at the same time a lot of fun to drive. And as a daily it is unbeatable.

There might come a day I go back and buy an old M3 like E92 or G80 (when prices have dropped enough) as a second car. Especially the E92 I had felt always very special.
I recently test drove the Taycan and agree with all your points, pro and con (maybe with the exception of the 911’s steering comparison). The instant torque is addictive but it is trumped by my range anxiety and a lack of charging infrastructure - I would be fine if 25% of gas stations had fast charging but in Canada that is still many years away. For everyday driving around urban area areas, I get the appeal of the Taycan as a fun GT cruiser. Maybe the new hybrid AMG C63 (4 cylinder would ease these concerns but I’ve opted for one last kick at the ICE can with the M3C X while we still can because as Jeremy says, the end is nigh, and within the next 4-6 years, all fun sport cars and GTs will be electric anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 04:27 PM   #70
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingChicken View Post
In glad he said "Pontiac style nose" as every time I see a black one I see my dad's black 1972 Firebird Formula he drove when I was in elementary. The one with the double hood scoops coming to the front of the hood.
You're so right.
Always loved this car guess that's why I think the G80 looks great.
Attached Images

Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:07 PM   #71
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
I agree.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #72
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Someone who's 39 and someone who is 22 don't share much in common. It really should be those born before the Internet was commonly used, those born after, and those born after social media. But that's not how they officially declare generations, it's just this huge slice of people who don't share a common experience.

As time moves forward things change at a faster and faster rate making these generations make less and less sense. Two hundred years ago not a lot changed in twenty years. Twenty years from now people might have their computer/phone hooked up to their brain.
Very true. That's why the people on the border of the generations seem to be hybrids of both generations. The generations are already getting smaller. Gen Z is only 2000-2015. Think about the baby boomer generation that spanned a few decades!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:38 PM   #73
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
You're so right.
Always loved this car guess that's why I think the G80 looks great.
Had a '70 1/2 Formula 400. Bronze metallic, white interior. One of the sharpest cars ever made in the US. Traded in my '69 GTO for it because I had to have it. Yeah, I'm way over the hill, but have driven high performance cars since I was 20.
Appreciate 3
Mephisto115.00
translux479.50
kayt69569.50
      06-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #74
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

IIRC the m3 typically has the youngest demographic for any model in the bmw lineup.
      06-11-2021, 06:28 PM   #75
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by perezr10 View Post
Ha! He brilliantly sums up how how most enthusiasts feel about EVs. Excellent intro.

Manipulating the sound is half the fun.

I used to think that lovers of mechanical watches were crazy. I think I'm starting to see where they're coming from.
Spot on. ICE cars is the next mechanical watch in a sea of Apple Watches
I tried to love digital watches I truly did. I felt like since I was in IT it was the "thing" to do. Just hated the things.
Then I bought my first fully mechanical chronograph automatic ( and a watch winder ) and never looked back.
The craftsmanship and knowing how intricate each piece is just to tell time is wonderful. I'll never go back to a watch I need to plug in.
I got an Omega for my 21st and it needed a complete overhaul a little while back to make it reliable again (about $800 worth), so bought an Apple Watch for less money. I've just gone back to the Omega and fronted the money for the overhaul. It is objectively a "worse" watch than the Apple Watch, but mechanical watches are an engineering marvel and I get enjoyment out of it beyond anything the Apple Watch gave me. The same could be said for my 6MT - it is in many cases a "worse" car than the comp, but it brings me immense joy to drive.

I'll go back to puffing a pipe in my tweed jacket now.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #76
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Fully agree with Jezza.

An engine gets its character from things as number of cylinders, volume, stroke length, cylinder banks and the angle between them, compression ratio, crank, intake system, exhaust system. All those things define the character of an engine and are often linked to a car brand’s identity. Without them there is no character just fast or faster. Car manufacturers will likely no longer make engines. It’s the end of the petrol head era.
Appreciate 0