BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-28-2024, 01:34 AM   #1
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

Is this normal?

I know this is not a M3 but I needed some quick answers on a car. Is the red on this idrive screen normal? I asked about it and was told the camera being used is causing the screen to appear red.

How true is this? I've never seen a picture that caused the idrive screen to appear red like this. Also, there is a picture where the idrive does not appear red and looks normal. If this was caused by the camera wouldnt it be red in that picture as well?

Please see attached pictures and let me know if this is an issue with the car or just the camera causing it.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 04:56 AM   #2
Adler11th
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
I seen this effect on quite a few listings online. In person screen appeared normal. I think it’s similar to effect of blinking LED lights in auto review videos, but someone with gear knowledge can confirm or deny.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 02:21 PM   #3
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adler11th View Post
I seen this effect on quite a few listings online. In person screen appeared normal. I think it’s similar to effect of blinking LED lights in auto review videos, but someone with gear knowledge can confirm or deny.
Thank you so much for your reply. This is the first time I’m seeing the red tint on any listings or pictures. If it’s the camera how come in the first picture it doesn’t show the red tint? I would think if it’s the camera all the pictures would have the same red tint?

Can anyone with gear or experience give their opinion as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:28 AM   #4
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. This is the first time I’m seeing the red tint on any listings or pictures. If it’s the camera how come in the first picture it doesn’t show the red tint? I would think if it’s the camera all the pictures would have the same red tint?

Can anyone with gear or experience give their opinion as well?
I've seen this before as well. It's an issue with the camera they're using. What red it shows and how much of the screen is covered is dependent on the shutter speed and timing of when they take the picture compared to the screen displaying its content. You can ask to have someone grab a smartphone camera and take a picture instead, it shouldn't have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:08 AM   #5
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I've seen this before as well. It's an issue with the camera they're using. What red it shows and how much of the screen is covered is dependent on the shutter speed and timing of when they take the picture compared to the screen displaying its content. You can ask to have someone grab a smartphone camera and take a picture instead, it shouldn't have this issue.
If this is true would'nt the first picture show the red tint as well? How come some pictures do not have the red tint but others do if using the same camera?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:22 AM   #6
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
If this is true would'nt the first picture show the red tint as well? How come some pictures do not have the red tint but others do if using the same camera?
No, not necessarily. The shutter in the fist pic happened to capture it at the right moment.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:31 AM   #7
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

The car is set to dark-room mode so you can develop film photos while driving.

Joking.

There is no issue with the screens. It has to do with the camera settings. Looks
normal in photo that's further away from the screen because the camera is "less confused" about what it's trying to take a photo of.