05-19-2022, 02:51 PM   #23
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Sorry for the never-ending questions, but I need help with the rear camber control arm - rear subframe bolt.
I'm having a hell of a time trying to put the bolt back in between the camber control arm & subframe.
As you can see in the picture, the whole arm needs to be pulled towards the outside of the vehicle but with the jack I have, it seems almost impossible to do so.
And I've tried like 20 different jacking spots on the arm but no dice.

mattssi moproblems
Sorry for tagging you guys, but how easy or difficult was it to do it by removing the camber/eccentric bolts/nuts?
Were you able to line up the previous position(camber) with ease?
Any recommendation in reassembly sequence? (Which bolts first?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I had this same issue. Luckily I had two jacks. I placed one under the control arm and the other under the rotor, it was a balancing act to get them aligned. You keep raising it up a little on the control arm then a little on the rotor until it's fully aligned.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 03:05 PM   #24
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Thanks for the response, mattssi.
I thought Quick Jack's lift was enough to work on it.
I have no issues getting enough leverage to torque the bolts, it's just that using the jack to compress the springs and to align the holes turned out to be a lot more difficult than I anticipated.
I almost got a quick jack!

Now that you mentioned the hole alignment, I remember I had a tough time at first. I just had to be patient. Slowly jack up the hub and when the holes were close, it took the smallest movement of the jack to get I perfectly set so that the bolt goes through easily. If not, you’ll be tempted to hammer it in and jack up the threads or whatever. Patience is key and once you get it, the other side will be easier.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #25
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
I had this same issue. Luckily I had two jacks. I placed one under the control arm and the other under the rotor, it was a balancing act to get them aligned. You keep raising it up a little on the control arm then a little on the rotor until it's fully aligned.
I thought about trying that, but I only have 1 jack, so couldn't....
Thanks for the tip. I'll lower the Quick Jack a notch and try it again with the scissor jack as well.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 03:12 PM   #26
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
I almost got a quick jack!

Now that you mentioned the hole alignment, I remember I had a tough time at first. I just had to be patient. Slowly jack up the hub and when the holes were close, it took the smallest movement of the jack to get I perfectly set so that the bolt goes through easily. If not, you’ll be tempted to hammer it in and jack up the threads or whatever. Patience is key and once you get it, the other side will be easier.
Which bolt are you referring to?
The shock bolt, or the wheel carrier (eccentric bolt)?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 03:29 PM   #27
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Which bolt are you referring to?
The shock bolt, or the wheel carrier (eccentric bolt)?
I just checked my photos. I got the carrier bolt in first. Then, jacked up the arm/hub until the strut hole was able to line up. My car was on jack stands and I only had one jack. I did not compress that rear spring or anything.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2022, 06:36 AM   #28
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I just checked my photos. I got the carrier bolt in first. Then, jacked up the arm/hub until the strut hole was able to line up. My car was on jack stands and I only had one jack. I did not compress that rear spring or anything.
After another attempt at putting the subframe bolt in, I finally gave up and went with the eccentric bolt route. MUCH easier to do that way.
Planning on finishing the passenger side tonight.
Thanks for the help guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #29
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:
After another attempt at putting the subframe bolt in, I finally gave up and went with the eccentric bolt route. MUCH easier to do that way.
Planning on finishing the passenger side tonight.
Thanks for the help guys.
Good stuff!

Make sure you tighten/torque those bolts with the hub at ride height.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 09:04 AM   #30
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good stuff!

Make sure you tighten/torque those bolts with the hub at ride height.
Yup. Definitely need to clock the bushings.
The eccentric/camber bolt didn't say it needs to be torqued at ride height though. Only the shock bolt and subframe bolt.
Appreciate 1
mattssi879.00
      03-16-2024, 05:40 PM   #31
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
This didn't quite work for me, but it got me there vertically and nearly all the way there horizontally. It was still offset toward the inside of the vehicle by a bit, so I still needed a pry bar + a friend so he could hold it lined up while I threaded the bolt in far enough so it wouldn't shear or ruin the threads before we released some of the tension on it.
Appreciate 0