BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-05-2022, 09:48 AM   #23
Eddie2315
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
do base models have ASD? i haven't noticed it once in mine, maybe i can't hear properly?
      09-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #24
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purekoryo View Post
Is using bimmercode detectable and void warranty even after reverting all setting to stock?
Wasn't sure if it's as obvious as tuning your DME.
Might be detectable, but won't void warranty. Only mods you make that BMW can claim caused your issue can they deny a claim. Even an engine tune won't void a warranty claim for your HUD going out as an example. Trying to get a warranty claim approved for an engine issue with an engine tune installed on the other hand.

Coding off ASD with BimmerCode would not cause some issue to surface that BMW could claim was caused by that, unless of course you were complaining your ASD wasn't working anymore.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 10:21 AM   #25
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Is there a way to revert back the bimmercode if I want to go back to OEM specs?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 10:33 AM   #26
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
Is there a way to revert back the bimmercode if I want to go back to OEM specs?
Yes. Just change the parameters to their original state.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2652.00
      09-05-2022, 11:19 AM   #27
Impulse20098
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie2315 View Post
do base models have ASD? i haven't noticed it once in mine, maybe i can't hear properly?
Yes even base models have it. If you ever properly turn it off then you will understand the amount that comes through the speakers. It is ridiculous in my opinion.

2022 - M3 xDrive Frozen Brilliant Metallic White
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #28
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
No, it's fake.

WHAT IS BMW ACTIVE SOUND DESIGN?
This is how we got here – in the face of environmental restrictions and a demand for enhanced fuel economy, BMW started to produce smaller engine subsystems that reduced the original sound and replaced the distinct deep whirr with a quieter high pitched noise. Since this decision sparked cravings for a more desirable interior and exterior sound, the automotive manufacturers introduced a new acoustic technology concept – Active Sound Design.

In a nutshell, it’s technology using a vehicle's audio system to allow drivers to experience the manufacturer's preset engine sound. Active Sound Design operating within the audio amplifier either alters, reduces or enhances the sound inside and outside of the vehicle. Using active noise control and acoustic enhancement techniques, it delivers a synthesized engine sound that’s (debatably) supposed to improve the car's reception.
My biggest question is what is regarding "...enhances the sound inside AND OUTSIDE of the vehicle". When I turn ASD off, I for sure can hear a difference outside, especially when I'm in my parking garage. With the windows rolled down, in Sport+, S3, ASD On, I can definitely hear the burbles and pops outside echoing in the garage when I let off the gas at low speed. So it's not coming from inside the vehicle. With only turning ASD Off I no longer hear the burbles and pops outside in the garage.

So what is going on with the engine/exhaust/tune outside the vehicle with ASD On vs Off?

And assuming that ASD does enhance the outside sound, does the bimmercode mod turn off all aspects of ASD, including the outside changes?

Last edited by m4ml; 09-05-2022 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
mattssi880.50
262Hou49.00
      09-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #29
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
My biggest question is what is regarding "...enhances the sound inside AND OUTSIDE of the vehicle". When I turn ASD off, I for sure can hear a difference outside, especially when I'm in my parking garage. With the windows rolled down, in Sport+, S3, ASD On, I can definitely hear the burbles and pops outside echoing in the garage when I let off the gas at low speed. So it's not coming from inside the vehicle. With only turning ASD Off I no longer hear the burbles and pops outside in the garage.

So what is going on with the engine/exhaust/tune outside the vehicle with ASD On vs Off?

And assuming that ASD does enhance the outside sound, does the bimmercode mod turn off all aspects of ASD, including the outside changes?
No one is saying the burbles are fake. Are people saying that?

I'm saying whatever sound you're hearing inside the car, is fake. The explanation above states that. They don't use the word fake but it says, " Active Sound Design operating within the audio amplifier either alters, reduces or enhances the sound inside and outside of the vehicle. Using active noise control and acoustic enhancement techniques, it delivers a synthesized engine sound"

Notice how it says alters, reduces OR enhances the sound?

For instance, redlinereviews just posted a video of him reviewing the M440I grand coupe.

It shows a video with the gopro right to the exhaust as he accelerates through the gears. No "chirps" on the upshifts.

Later he shows an acceleration from inside the car and you can hear the "thuds or chirps" on the upshifts. Those are the fake sounds you're hearing as it doesn't have that from outside the car.

I don't know what ASD alters when on/off besides the actual exhaust. Maybe someone else can answer that.

I'm just saying that "theatre" type of sounds you're hearing when it S+ is "fake". It's an altered sound. And it sounds terrible.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2022, 07:16 PM   #30
m4ml
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
No one is saying the burbles are fake. Are people saying that?

I'm saying whatever sound you're hearing inside the car, is fake. The explanation above states that. They don't use the word fake but it says, " Active Sound Design operating within the audio amplifier either alters, reduces or enhances the sound inside and outside of the vehicle. Using active noise control and acoustic enhancement techniques, it delivers a synthesized engine sound"

Notice how it says alters, reduces OR enhances the sound?

For instance, redlinereviews just posted a video of him reviewing the M440I grand coupe.

It shows a video with the gopro right to the exhaust as he accelerates through the gears. No "chirps" on the upshifts.

Later he shows an acceleration from inside the car and you can hear the "thuds or chirps" on the upshifts. Those are the fake sounds you're hearing as it doesn't have that from outside the car.

I don't know what ASD alters when on/off besides the actual exhaust. Maybe someone else can answer that.

I'm just saying that "theatre" type of sounds you're hearing when it S+ is "fake". It's an altered sound. And it sounds terrible.
I didn't mean to imply the burbles are fake (and I don't think I said that). I'm trying to understand two things...

1. What precisely does ASD do exclusive of the interior noise? (I am seeing numerous variations on this)
2. What does bimmercode do when it turns off ASD? Meaning does it do a 100% ASD off as if I hit the button myself (i.e., both interior and exterior "enhancements" disabled), or does it disable only the interior "enhancements" and any exhaust/tune changes are still functioning?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 07:25 PM   #31
M3coco
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3m

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply the burbles are fake (and I don't think I said that). I'm trying to understand two things...

1. What precisely does ASD do exclusive of the interior noise? (I am seeing numerous variations on this)
2. What does bimmercode do when it turns off ASD? Meaning does it do a 100% ASD off as if I hit the button myself (i.e., both interior and exterior "enhancements" disabled), or does it disable only the interior "enhancements" and any exhaust/tune changes are still functioning?
There's got to be something more happening. Like I said, I have it coded off via bimmercode, and the exhaust flaps fully forced open all the time, and the actual exterior burbles change when I push the button on and off.
Appreciate 1
m4ml1886.00
      09-05-2022, 09:07 PM   #32
m4ml
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3coco View Post
There's got to be something more happening. Like I said, I have it coded off via bimmercode, and the exhaust flaps fully forced open all the time, and the actual exterior burbles change when I push the button on and off.
With what you say here, and given the previous post for the bimmercode steps where it says to select the Receiver Audio Module I get the impression that the bimmercode changes only affect the internal sound. Which would be exactly what I'm looking for.

I like the change in the external sound with ASD on, but I don't want the internal sound. So if, indeed, the bimmercode changes only affect the internal sound then I'll request the unreleased test version (I already own bimmercode) to turn that off.

But, this is precisely what I'm trying to determine for sure.

Maybe I'll hit up bimmercode and just ask. That will probably answer all of my questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 09:19 PM   #33
M3coco
Captain
Rep

Quote:
With what you say here, and given the previous post for the bimmercode steps where it says to select the Receiver Audio Module I get the impression that the bimmercode changes only affect the internal sound. Which would be exactly what I'm looking for.

I like the change in the external sound with ASD on, but I don't want the internal sound. So if, indeed, the bimmercode changes only affect the internal sound then I'll request the unreleased test version (I already own bimmercode) to turn that off.

But, this is precisely what I'm trying to determine for sure.

Maybe I'll hit up bimmercode and just ask. That will probably answer all of my questions.
Yes, bimmercode for sure only affects the internal sound via speakers, nothing to do with external sound
Appreciate 1
m4ml1886.00
      09-05-2022, 10:26 PM   #34
m4ml
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, bimmercode for sure only affects the internal sound via speakers, nothing to do with external sound
Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 07:34 AM   #35
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

Quote:
I understand 4m4l's confusion. If the bimmercode only affects internal sound, and your flaps are fully open all the time, how does the button control the burbles you get? Are the burbles synthetic and also piped through your speakers? Thx coco.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 07:41 AM   #36
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
It’s a manufactured artificial sound. Porsche is the only manufacturer I know that uses a sound tube to reroute real exhaust sound into the cabin.
The Yamaha tuned engine on the Lexus GS also had this feature where it channeled the engine noise into the cabin.
Cool stuff.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2022, 08:16 AM   #37
M3coco
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4 View Post
I understand 4m4l's confusion. If the bimmercode only affects internal sound, and your flaps are fully open all the time, how does the button control the burbles you get? Are the burbles synthetic and also piped through your speakers? Thx coco.
I had my husband drive the car and then Rev it with and without button on,so I could listen outside. Absolutely a difference. But again this is with it already coded off and flaps permanently open.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 09:53 AM   #38
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

This was also something I've been curious about... the sound control button inside the cabin must have access to the ECU mapping since it seems to actually control real burbles that are audible outside the car from the exhaust.

I also have the VSC controller and I enjoy the burbles in sport+ with the sound control button toggled. What I want to eliminate is the fake noise being pumped through the speakers. I still want the real burbles outside to be present... it seems like coding ASD off via BC will give me this combination.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2022, 09:58 AM   #39
M3coco
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
This was also something I've been curious about... the sound control button inside the cabin must have access to the ECU mapping since it seems to actually control real burbles that are audible outside the car from the exhaust.

I also have the VSC controller and I enjoy the burbles in sport+ with the sound control button toggled. What I want to eliminate is the fake noise being pumped through the speakers. I still want the real burbles outside to be present... it seems like coding ASD off via BC will give me this combination.
I'm so glad that you understand exactly what I'm saying. I was thinking that it must control something in the ECU as well, as like stated earlier, I have the VSC controller, and ASD coded off. The burbles are still activated with the button on, from the exterior of the car. It's actually pretty cool, because I do love the real sound
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 10:11 AM   #40
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm so glad that you understand exactly what I'm saying. I was thinking that it must control something in the ECU as well, as like stated earlier, I have the VSC controller, and ASD coded off. The burbles are still activated with the button on, from the exterior of the car. It's actually pretty cool, because I do love the real sound
OK perfect, I'm glad to hear we're on the same page! I will try this today
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 10:25 AM   #41
M3coco
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
OK perfect, I'm glad to hear we're on the same page! I will try this today
You will definitely have to let me know what you think, and if you notice a difference or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #42
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You will definitely have to let me know what you think, and if you notice a difference or not.
So I just went to the garage and coded it off via the method posted in here about deactivating the activation code and wow it's much different now! I didn't go drive yet but I did rev it a little in various modes and I do still hear the burbles in sport+ and valves open. I think this will be great! Going to drive it later today to see how it is... it is crazy how much sound was being pumped into the cabin... more so than I remember with both my former F80 and M2.

Last edited by JTO24; 09-06-2022 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2022, 07:59 AM   #43
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Feedback after a decent ride yesterday... as mentioned in my previous post, I coded active sound fully off. I have the VSC-2 valve controller so I have the ability to keep my valves permanently open.

Pros: less cabin drone and obviously the sound is now all authentic.
Cons: the car is much quieter lol I thought the induction noise would be a tad louder than it is, but it's now very quiet inside. You can still hear the burbles from the exhaust in Sport+ and M sound button toggled, but engine noise is really faint, even at WOT.

I plan on adding an intake to get some additional noise from the engine bay, but I think - other than turning active sound back on - I need to look into exhaust components. A mid-pipe would probably add enough volume to back fill the fake noise I've seemingly grown to miss from the ASD.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2022, 10:45 AM   #44
X5ALIVE
Professional Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

On my 2020 G01 X3 M40, we could pull a fuse to disable ASD. Is that not a thing with G80?
Appreciate 0