BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

05-31-2023, 03:26 PM   #23
Asmedbeats
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 M3 Comp Xdrive  [0.00]
2023 M3 Comp Xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I am the type of person that will do my own oil changes, in between the service interval anyway.. so there's an additional expense for that. Each oil change is about $60 of material, of course my time is valuable but it's also cathartic for me so it'll offset a very expensive therapist.

Spark plug set is $150? I think diff fluid is still "lifetime" and unless you plan on keeping your car stock, the air filter argument probably goes out the window too... even if not, a new air filter set is less than $100 I'd imagine. With FCP Euro the reoccurring expendables expense is lessened the 2nd time around so some savings there as well.

Based on that, is the $900 really worth it? Also if rolling it into the financing, you're paying interest on the $900.
I wish I had the time to do it all on my own but I don’t. It’s my daily driver so the added benefit of getting a loaner makes life easier.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 03:40 PM   #24
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmedbeats View Post
I wish I had the time to do it all on my own but I don’t. It’s my daily driver so the added benefit of getting a loaner makes life easier.
That’s actually a good point made. Not everyone has the time or is mechanically inclined, or have the tools.
In this case, it’s justifiable 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 03:11 PM   #25
86Hawkeye
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 xDrive 30i

Service +2 Maintenance Package

Dealer is offering the Service +2 package for $3799 for a 2024 X3 30i xDrive.

I plan to have the car for 4-5 years.

Comes with brake pads and rotor replacement @ ~30,000 miles, brake fluid flush, spark plugs, and micro filter @ ~40,000 miles and fuel filter replacement at ~50,000 miles. Also includes the 2 additional oil and oil filter changes at 40,000 and 50,000 miles.

Is this a reasonable deal?

Last edited by 86Hawkeye; 09-16-2023 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 06:54 PM   #26
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
How many miles are you going to put on the car?? do you want to get service at the BMW dealership with loaners and all of the other niceties or do you plan on taking your car to the independent guy to save money? What kind of an interest rate can you finance that plan at and how much would you pay out of pocket over the life of the warranty??

At the time I bought my car interest rates were very low and I plan to keep the car for a long time. I bought the service plan that covers all regular service up to 120,000 miles. I have driven the car now up to almost 80,000 miles all of my routine maintenance has been covered so far I’ve had all new brake pads and then most recently all new pads and rotors.

I did not sit down and try to calculate the actual cost of all of this service compared to what I paid. My recollection is I think I paid about 4000 maybe 4500 out of pocket at the time I bought my car. I also financed my car when rates were good at like 2.5%

for me, it was a great deal. I don’t have to worry about coughing up money along the way for maintenance. I just take it in everything is covered and when my CPO warranty and the maintenance runs out, I’ll dump the car and get something newer and faster.. I make my car payment and I drive the shit out of it and they pay for everything.

With the exception of wear and tear items, obviously, tires are not covered. I recently had one motor mount go bad, and that was not covered.

Good luck
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2023, 09:09 AM   #27
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Hawkeye View Post
Dealer is offering the Service +2 package for $3799 for a 2024 X3 30i xDrive.

I plan to have the car for 4-5 years.

Comes with brake pads and rotor replacement @ ~30,000 miles, brake fluid flush, spark plugs, and micro filter @ ~40,000 miles and fuel filter replacement at ~50,000 miles. Also includes the 2 additional oil and oil filter changes at 40,000 and 50,000 miles.

Is this a reasonable deal?
Ask the dealer what those services would cost if you paid as you went. Compare to the price. See how much of a discount you are getting. Can you make that much investing your money over that time period or not? How likely are the service costs to go up over that period.

THe math isn’t hard.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2023, 11:41 AM   #28
86Hawkeye
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
How many miles are you going to put on the car?? do you want to get service at the BMW dealership with loaners and all of the other niceties or do you plan on taking your car to the independent guy to save money? What kind of an interest rate can you finance that plan at and how much would you pay out of pocket over the life of the warranty??

At the time I bought my car interest rates were very low and I plan to keep the car for a long time. I bought the service plan that covers all regular service up to 120,000 miles. I have driven the car now up to almost 80,000 miles all of my routine maintenance has been covered so far I’ve had all new brake pads and then most recently all new pads and rotors.

I did not sit down and try to calculate the actual cost of all of this service compared to what I paid. My recollection is I think I paid about 4000 maybe 4500 out of pocket at the time I bought my car. I also financed my car when rates were good at like 2.5%

for me, it was a great deal. I don’t have to worry about coughing up money along the way for maintenance. I just take it in everything is covered and when my CPO warranty and the maintenance runs out, I’ll dump the car and get something newer and faster.. I make my car payment and I drive the shit out of it and they pay for everything.

With the exception of wear and tear items, obviously, tires are not covered. I recently had one motor mount go bad, and that was not covered.

Good luck
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to answer below:

1. The package includes the dealer picking up my car at home and leaving me a loaner to drive. I am about 35-40 minutes drive from the dealer. It's not on the way to work, so this is a nice feature.

2. Interest rate is 5.49%, but I will pay the car off early (36 months).

3. I will likely drive 50,000 miles in 5 years, maybe 60,000. If I make it to 60k, I'm pretty sure the plan is worth it, as I'll be able to take advantage of brakes/rotors at 30k miles and at 60k miles (that is the schedule). If I don't make it to 60k miles in 5 years, then I'm not so sure about the value.

4. Dealer sales manager said brakes and rotors for an X3 (xDrive 30i) would be $2500 to $3000. That seems high to me, but if anyone can verify that it sounds about right, then I would probably do the plan and the other items I noted (brake fluid flush, spark plugs, and micro filter @ ~40,000 miles and fuel filter replacement at ~50,000 miles. Also includes the 2 additional oil and oil filter changes at 40,000 and 50,000 miles) would probably justify the cost, even if I don't make it to 60k miles in 5 years.

Thanks!

Last edited by 86Hawkeye; 09-17-2023 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 11:45 AM   #29
86Hawkeye
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Ask the dealer what those services would cost if you paid as you went. Compare to the price. See how much of a discount you are getting. Can you make that much investing your money over that time period or not? How likely are the service costs to go up over that period.

THe math isn’t hard.
See my post directly above this one.

I expect costs to continue to go up, given the labor situation in the economy. Could probably earn more than 5.49% (loan interest rate) over the next 5 years.

The "list price" the dealer quoted for the plan was $4299 and they "discounted" it to $3799.

BTW, nice handle

Thanks!

Last edited by 86Hawkeye; 09-17-2023 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      09-17-2023, 12:36 PM   #30
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
I think it is worth it. You pay up front - the cost is buried in your loan, and then 2 year into ownership you don’t have to cough up $2500 for full brakes.

You can say that people will “save” that money and put it aside..but that’s not how most people really operate. You have a mortgage, kids, life happens. Blah blah blah.. and then you have to pay thousands on routine maintenance. Which ends up becoming unplanned / unscheduled and throws your monthly budget out of whack. An extra $50 or whatever it is on your monthly payment becomes normal….

I have bought the warranty on some cars and have not on others. I would at least do a basic analysis of what the likely services will cost ot make sure you are at least getting them at a slight discount.

When I bought my CPO Cayenne GTS I did NOT buy the warranty b/c it did NOT include brakes.. only the routine services..and my CPO car had just had one of the big services - which they do NOT factor into the pricing - so I would have been double paying for a service the car already had - so on that car i opted to just pay as I go.

On my BMW - given the cost of brakes - it seemed like a good deal. I’v head my car for 2 years, will have it two more. Based on the service they have done so far and will do over the next two years- I am on track to get every penny out of my service contract.

I’ve already SAVED on my CPO warranty. The evaporator went out on my car - CPO repaire it all - a week of labor and the dealers said at their labor rates it woudl have been $6-7k repair…. I paid $3500 for my extended CPO two years ago. And I’m not OFF factory..so the CPO saved my ass.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 09:18 AM   #31
86Hawkeye
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I think it is worth it. You pay up front - the cost is buried in your loan, and then 2 year into ownership you don’t have to cough up $2500 for full brakes.

You can say that people will “save” that money and put it aside..but that’s not how most people really operate. You have a mortgage, kids, life happens. Blah blah blah.. and then you have to pay thousands on routine maintenance. Which ends up becoming unplanned / unscheduled and throws your monthly budget out of whack. An extra $50 or whatever it is on your monthly payment becomes normal….

I have bought the warranty on some cars and have not on others. I would at least do a basic analysis of what the likely services will cost ot make sure you are at least getting them at a slight discount.

When I bought my CPO Cayenne GTS I did NOT buy the warranty b/c it did NOT include brakes.. only the routine services..and my CPO car had just had one of the big services - which they do NOT factor into the pricing - so I would have been double paying for a service the car already had - so on that car i opted to just pay as I go.

On my BMW - given the cost of brakes - it seemed like a good deal. I’v head my car for 2 years, will have it two more. Based on the service they have done so far and will do over the next two years- I am on track to get every penny out of my service contract.

I’ve already SAVED on my CPO warranty. The evaporator went out on my car - CPO repaire it all - a week of labor and the dealers said at their labor rates it woudl have been $6-7k repair…. I paid $3500 for my extended CPO two years ago. And I’m not OFF factory..so the CPO saved my ass.
Thanks for the thoughts. What is “CPO”?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 09:54 AM   #32
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Hawkeye View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. What is “CPO”?
Certified Pre-Owned. It's an extra certification a dealer can go through (BMW rep comes to analyze the car) to charge more and offer a warranty longer than without CPO.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 01:41 PM   #33
SoCalBimmerGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Individual

I like to purchase the maintenance when I buy the car so it is all done at the same time. You sometimes get a better deal when you buy it after the fact. I get quotes on what it would cost me from other dealers and just give them a VIN of a current car for sale at a different dealer so the numbers are the same. Then I take those numbers with me on the day of my car purchase and negotiate at the dealer. They will work with you. There are BIG markup's on these things. On average you should be able to save 10-20% of the "list" price. Especially if you are buying multiple things. (Maintenance/Wheel&Tire/Extended Warranty/Ceramic coating/etc......). Don't BS your numbers though. Make sure you actually do the work and get the quotes/costs beforehand.
Appreciate 0