BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

08-27-2023, 12:14 AM   #1
TyKa1999
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xcomp

Don't let a dealer work you

TLDR: Don't get strung out by your dealers, call around, there are a lot of open allocations out there.

I finally decided at the beginning of August it was time to order Xdrive M3 after looking at it for months. My local dealers were charging absurd over MSRP and telling me it'd be 1-2 years. Went out of state and found one that had 6 month wait at MSRP.

I'm an impatient bastard so I called/texted dozens of dealers out west. There is a surprising amount that have OPEN allocations at the moment or no waitlist AT MSRP. After only 2 Days of calling, deposit down with new dealer and they had an open spot with the car already in 112 Status. Build week 37.

If you're willing to spend a little bit calling around you can have a car WAY faster than the 6 month- Year wait
Appreciate 5
SheBMW232.00
Xtabi1701.50
LuckyBrand1309.50
      08-27-2023, 01:16 AM   #2
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

I called three dealers. First one was a 12 month wait. Second one was a 6 month wait. Third one was an immediate allocation.
Xtabi1701.50
LuckyBrand1309.50
      08-27-2023, 01:53 AM   #3
NorthEndZag
E30-->F80-->G80
Rep
Drives: MY24 G80 Comp xDrive SSG/KO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyKa1999 View Post
TLDR: Don't get strung out by your dealers, call around, there are a lot of open allocations out there.

I finally decided at the beginning of August it was time to order Xdrive M3 after looking at it for months. My local dealers were charging absurd over MSRP and telling me it'd be 1-2 years. Went out of state and found one that had 6 month wait at MSRP.

I'm an impatient bastard so I called/texted dozens of dealers out west. There is a surprising amount that have OPEN allocations at the moment or no waitlist AT MSRP. After only 2 Days of calling, deposit down with new dealer and they had an open spot with the car already in 112 Status. Build week 37.

If you're willing to spend a little bit calling around you can have a car WAY faster than the 6 month- Year wait
it is sound advice that it is always worth your time to call around. just might suggest….a dealer isn’t working you if they give you a wait time that is longer than you’d hoped…they are simply at the mercy of their allocation.

and as to markups….sales people have zero say in how they price cars, especially m cars. ownership/general managers set pricing strategies, and the person you’re communicating with is simply trying to do the best they can for you.

i know, unsolicited, but just wanted to share.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2023, 02:17 AM   #4
TyKa1999
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEndZag View Post
it is sound advice that it is always worth your time to call around. just might suggest….a dealer isn’t working you if they give you a wait time that is longer than you’d hoped…they are simply at the mercy of their allocation.

and as to markups….sales people have zero say in how they price cars, especially m cars. ownership/general managers set pricing strategies, and the person you’re communicating with is simply trying to do the best they can for you.

i know, unsolicited, but just wanted to share.
I agree, some dealers string people along though with wait times making it seem like it’ll be much faster than what it actually is. Far as pricing I’m talking about gms trying to gouge people with 10k over msrp which is crazyyyy for now
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 02:18 AM   #5
TyKa1999
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkb View Post
I called three dealers. First one was a 12 month wait. Second one was a 6 month wait. Third one was an immediate allocation.
Do you already have yours?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 09:04 AM   #6
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyKa1999 View Post
Do you already have yours?
In transit to dealership now!
      08-27-2023, 09:05 AM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I got my allocation at the beginning of July. At MSRP, no add ons and no financing markup. This was about 5 hours away from my house.

At the same time a local dealer emailed me to say he got an allocation. Good news was only $10k over. Lolz. I said GTFO and they immediately came back with $5k and we will ceramic coat your car. I said how about $0 and I will pay your markup to take the car to XPel Houston. No deal.

I made sure to email him a few days later saying I had an allocation at MSRP that was already at 112 status. And literally the next day, another dealer 90 minutes away called to tell me they had one at MSRP

The other local dealer did the same thing to my buddy. Took $1500 to put him "on the list" for an M2. I told him just to pay Hans and get one but he is cheap, lol. Local dealer told him July 4th he was 4th on the list. Then August allocations dropped. He knows two people at that dealer who got allocations so he called. Still 4th. What BS.

Told him to start calling around. Found one within a day that wanted MSRP but also PPF and ceramic coating add ons. He told them no to both, just tint and they agreed.

So yeah, don't pay the markup!
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2023, 11:08 AM   #8
TyKa1999
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkb View Post
In transit to dealership now!
I can’t imagine the anticipation! What’s your build like? And when was your build week?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 11:11 AM   #9
TyKa1999
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I got my allocation at the beginning of July. At MSRP, no add ons and no financing markup. This was about 5 hours away from my house.

At the same time a local dealer emailed me to say he got an allocation. Good news was only $10k over. Lolz. I said GTFO and they immediately came back with $5k and we will ceramic coat your car. I said how about $0 and I will pay your markup to take the car to XPel Houston. No deal.

I made sure to email him a few days later saying I had an allocation at MSRP that was already at 112 status. And literally the next day, another dealer 90 minutes away called to tell me they had one at MSRP

The other local dealer did the same thing to my buddy. Took $1500 to put him "on the list" for an M2. I told him just to pay Hans and get one but he is cheap, lol. Local dealer told him July 4th he was 4th on the list. Then August allocations dropped. He knows two people at that dealer who got allocations so he called. Still 4th. What BS.

Told him to start calling around. Found one within a day that wanted MSRP but also PPF and ceramic coating add ons. He told them no to both, just tint and they agreed.

So yeah, don't pay the markup!
Yup. Some of these dealers just trying to gouge people. They’ll put you on the “list” but when they get an allocation they’ll peddle it out to everyone and see who’s the sucker to pay more lol. Idk if it’s because I’m young, but I had multiple dealers try and get me to put down a 2500-7500 deposit to get on their “list” 😂
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 11:34 AM   #10
Pool Shark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Accord Sport6MT / Tesla3 / M3

Yup, one dealer was trying to sell me on the "best deal out there"...which included a $9,900 ADM. I said that I'll pass and eventually found an allocation a few days later at another dealership selling at MSRP.

Appreciate 2
      08-28-2023, 09:19 PM   #11
Grmnmnypt
Rep
Drives: BMW

But for the $9,900 ADM you are getting the dealerships extraordinary services??? That's what I was told for a $5,000 ADM. What, I get a "free" bottled water and WIFI so I can do an internet search to find out how much I got screwed. I told the gut that I wouldn't even want them washing the car and moved on.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2023, 09:54 PM   #12
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
There should be a thread broken down by area that outlines all the dealers asking over msrp.
Appreciate 2