BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #45
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Aesthetically, the digi/analog gauge cluster, seats, and steering are better executed in the Lexus.

That BMW cluster and steering are pretty fugly. I really dislike the digi gauge execution in BMWs. And that Orange, Jesus, what an awful color. That needs to be retired ASAP, and replaced w/ a red option.

You're also comparing a 6 yr old Lexus , even though it's been tweaked over the years, with a brand new Bimmer.

Props to BMW for making a manual, probably enough of a reason to buy it over the Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #46
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
Yeah - I can stomach the look of the G80 (even though I do prefer the F80) I just wish they were smarter about the marketing.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure I am the target demographic for BMW: young, tech/finance industry, "upwardly mobile", whatever. Unfortunately, when I see the marketing campaign it makes me cringe. Definitely missed the mark with that stuff.
You didn't immediately buy a Kith car?
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #47
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
We got Doug for that!
yeah most might prefer Watt Matson from carwow instead of Doug
Appreciate 1
mirob3041.00
      04-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #48
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Woof. Well in any event, whatever they chose to name their track special M3/4, is going to obliterate this Lexus.

Which isn't really a knock on the Lexus - it's a great car. Just not as great at doing M stuff as the M car.
This we agree on

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 12:42 PM   #49
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
yeah most might prefer Watt Matson from carwow instead of Doug
I do too - but both > SP.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #50
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Aesthetically, the digi/analog gauge cluster, seats, and steering are better executed in the Lexus.

That BMW cluster and steering are pretty fugly. I really dislike the digi gauge execution in BMWs. And that Orange, Jesus, what an awful color. That needs to be retired ASAP, and replaced w/ a red option.

You're also comparing a 6 yr old Lexus , even though it's been tweaked over the years, with a brand new Bimmer.

Props to BMW for making a manual, probably enough of a reason to buy it over the Lexus.
Let's assume the RCF is indeed the better looking car although that's subjective. At the end of the day, it fails at it's very core which is supposed to be a track weapon which it is not. The fact that it's fails at its core purpose trumps all else. Nitpicking interior color and gauges is laughable because BMW has HUD if you don't like the gauges and offers way more color options for seats unlike the Lexus.
      04-24-2021, 01:40 PM   #51
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Let's assume the RCF is indeed the better looking car although that's subjective. At the end of the day, it fails at it's very core which is supposed to be a track weapon which it is not. The fact that it's fails at its core purpose trumps all else. Nitpicking interior color and gauges is laughable because BMW has HUD if you don't like the gauges and offers way more color options for seats unlike the Lexus.
I don't know what fails on the track and what doesn't bc I haven't driven either on the track, and I'm not a fan of going along with what random youtubers and journalists are saying. That being said, I'll listen to some youtubers that share a similar opinion in cars (e.g. Savage Geese).

I drove the M3, there are parts of the interior and exterior aesthetic that I DO NOT LIKE, and there are parts that I do like, and this is applicable to both the Lexus and BMW.

Furthermore, I can nitpick whatever I want bc it's a fucking car forum. What's truly laughable is for you to say that if I don't like the god awful digi dash of the M3, I should stare at the HUD, LOL.

Sounds like you love whatever BMW does, so much so, that you're busting my balls on an automotive enthusiast website. So, why don't you fly to Germany and give all the engineers and designers a circle jerk for their awesome effort in the M3, since clearly in your eyes they can do no wrong.
Appreciate 2
Swappy531.50
Jockey3451.00
      04-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #52
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:

It's not BMW's fault Lexus/Toyota have been guilty of selling the same vehicles year over year over year while the rest of the industry moves on. I'm sure if they made a modern version it would have been in the comparison but alas this is what they sell as new today.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 03:24 PM   #53
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Yeah - I can stomach the look of the G80 (even though I do prefer the F80) I just wish they were smarter about the marketing.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure I am the target demographic for BMW: young, tech/finance industry, "upwardly mobile", whatever. Unfortunately, when I see the marketing campaign it makes me cringe. Definitely missed the mark with that stuff.
You didn't immediately buy a Kith car?
No way.

It's just tone deaf to be honest - me, and people like me (the "youthful target demographic") are not the ones going around saying "ok boomer" and stuff.

It's like they know what demographic they want but don't know what that demographic is actually like.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #54
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
I don't know what fails on the track and what doesn't bc I haven't driven either on the track, and I'm not a fan of going along with what random youtubers and journalists are saying. That being said, I'll listen to some youtubers that share a similar opinion in cars (e.g. Savage Geese).

I drove the M3, there are parts of the interior and exterior aesthetic that I DO NOT LIKE, and there are parts that I do like, and this is applicable to both the Lexus and BMW.

Furthermore, I can nitpick whatever I want bc it's a fucking car forum. What's truly laughable is for you to say that if I don't like the god awful digi dash of the M3, I should stare at the HUD, LOL.

Sounds like you love whatever BMW does, so much so, that you're busting my balls on an automotive enthusiast website. So, why don't you fly to Germany and give all the engineers and designers a circle jerk for their awesome effort in the M3, since clearly in your eyes they can do no wrong.
You sure assume a lot there genius. I leased a new 3IS for 3 years with that same gauge cluster. They have been using it on all their F sports models even the RX350 except there it's fixed. Furthermore, when it debuted on the ISF, it was panned as awful. It's nothing special in 2021.

RCF track edition is a failure if you bother to look at all the tangible data available for the car on various tracks in the EU/USA. Base G8X is still a better performer than this car. That really is more telling than anything else and yes I think it is god awful looking. Must be why nobody buys the RCF, awful looks and lackluster performance.

PS. Savageese is a toyota fanboy. He also gave the RC350 rave reviews which is possibly the worst car Lexus makes, heavy, slow, mediocre handling and driving dynamics..

Last edited by EXE46; 04-24-2021 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #55
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 (MW SO, 6MT)

I don't even know why they compared the RCF to a G80. G80 is latest generation and RCF has been around since 2014/15. It is a direct competitor to the F82 IMO. Looks wise, the pre refreshed RC look way better than the newer style ones with the goofy headlights. Overall I think the RCF is a nice looking aggressive car, especially when modded. Comes standard with lots of nice equipment like brembo/ fully loaded interior/ rear vents and hood vents/ active spoiler etc. really good bang for the buck plus you can't argue with the sounds it makes with that 5.0 compared to the bmw. Quite a bit of engineering went into that F model. Performance wise, of course the last gen bmw and current gen will beat it easily. This is coming from an f80 owner.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:34 PM   #56
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You sure assume a lot there genius. I leased a new 3IS for 3 years with that same gauge cluster. They have been using it on all their F sports models even the RX350 except there it's fixed. Furthermore, when it debuted on the ISF, it was panned as awful. It's nothing special in 2021.

RCF track edition is a failure if you bother to look at all the tangible data available for the car on various tracks in the EU/USA. Base G8X is still a better performer than this car. That really is more telling than anything else and yes I think it is god awful looking. Must be why nobody buys the RCF, awful looks and lackluster performance.

PS. Savageese is a toyota fanboy. He also gave the RC350 rave reviews which is possibly the worst car Lexus makes, heavy, slow, mediocre handling and driving dynamics..
Hey dummy, I didn't start this track prowess debate with you, you started it with yourself. I mentioned gauges, steering wheel and seat aesthetic. Furthermore, I said they're comparing a 6 yr old Lexus with a new BMW, the insinuation in that statement was that the BMW will probably perform better.

Specifically, I said the digi gauge cluster on the M3 isn't a great implementation and prefer the Lexus approach. I don't like the backwards tach nor the M mode orientation and prefer the more analog/digital integration of the Lexus system. You apparently got butthurt about it and are still trying to prove to me that the Lexus system sucks. I don't understand why?

It's OK for us to like different things about a car. You understand this right???

I'll reiterate the point one more time for the cheap seats, there are aspects of both cars that I do not like and other aspects that I do like. You are free to like whatever you want, but stop acting like some authority on personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #57
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

I'm just excited to see there's a launch control function for the 6MT G80! Gotta finish this damn break-in procedure already *sigh*
Appreciate 3
PLF693767.50
CanAutM321116.50
      04-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #58
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:
Now that Throttle House exists there's no real reason to watch these guys.
i actually find the throttle house intros and stuff a bit cringey and prefer these guys lol but i may be in the minority on that. I dont need some kind of network television level of production value when im trying to see what a regular dude thinks of a car haha
Well you definitely are in the minority.
Appreciate 1
Puuhapete145.00
      04-24-2021, 09:47 PM   #59
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
They're cheerful and their opinions diverge from mine. Both items make watching them worthwhile here and there. Except when they review pickup trucks. Nothing is worth watching a truck review.
I watch most of their reviews and agree with you 100%. Their pick up trucks and some random car reviews are just gap fillers to make sure they post content regularly when there isn't anything interesting to cover.

Yes, they are not hardcore car guys like some of the other reviewers but they don't pose like one either and quite honest and forthcoming with their views from a general public perspective. A cheerful bunch to watch IMO!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 10:51 PM   #60
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I think you're being unfair, you have to take a step back and consider context. Their target audience is more mainstream buyers who care about other aspects besides pure driving performance and technicals.

So, for example, if you have a family and buying this car as a daily driver, you might prefer TH because they're more car enthusiast oriented. However, your wife might value such things as infotainment, cupholders, seat comfort and how many boxes can fit into the trunk, and that's where SP shines. In fact, this niche is probably bigger than the car enthusiasts' niche.
Hey, it's my opinion and you're entitled to yours. Has nothing to do with "unfair" when I just don't think they're good. Their videos are not entertaining to me compared to other guys. Heck, Doug Demuro does nothing but talk for 30 minutes and I end up watching all his videos.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:54 PM   #61
boomerang.e92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Putting front plates on this car is a ducking crime.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 12:02 AM   #62
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK.Gone.Driving View Post
Putting front plates on this car is a ducking crime.
Seriously.

I told my SA when I ordered it that I didn't want front plates mounted.

I imagine I'll be reminding him again before I take delivery.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2021, 05:52 AM   #63
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

wouldn't get neither one of them but they're both nice.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 1
FCX52385.00
      04-25-2021, 06:32 AM   #64
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
The way I see it, Lexus and BMW target slightly different buyers. I think each does well with who they sell to and hence both are successful.

Most buyers are not going to take either to the track. They are likely to buy or lease based on aesthetics and brand appeal. I think people are more likely to cross-shop the RCF with a Civic Type R than an M3. JMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #65
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would bet a majority of people won't track these cars. They are buying on aesthetics and brand appeal. If anything, the purpose of these cars is to appeal to the emotional strings of the buyer since it's main use will be commuting and other mundane stuff. That is just the fact.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:50 AM   #66
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
These guys are so terrible, especially compared to Throttle House who are actual car guys that know about cars, driving, etc.
At least based on TH's LC500 review and how much they liked the looks of it, I would assume TH would likewise be positive on the RCF. But I agree with you in that TH tends to be more measured and analytical in its approach whereas the SP is more informal. I enjoy both. Both are clearly car enthusiasts and successful channels.
Appreciate 0