02-29-2024, 04:53 PM   #23
Mapper
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
^^^ That’s incorrect. The ColdStart routine doesn’t dump extra fuel… the system adds air via the exhaust ports/runners and secondary air pump so the primary CATs heat up faster. Cold start enrichment is outside of this and a normal process that’s done even if you turn off Cold Start. Your engine should still have a high initial idle during the cold start enrichment phase for a few seconds and then die back down to 700ish RPM, just the CATs won’t be as quick up to temp to help scrub exhaust gasses as quickly… it’s totally an environmental thing and nothing more. If anything, turning off Cold Start routine for some engines will actually solve issues like secondary air injection plugging up over time due to carbon deposits in the system, which is a byproduct of this routine. It doesn’t hurt the CATs at all.
Thank you for the insight and correction. To playback you are saying cold start disable is only for the air pump which is purpose of clearing out unbernt fuel nox o2 etc out of exhaust to aid in faster op temp of the primary cats and that enrichment OL is separate. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 07:18 PM   #24
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
The valves don't open in comfort mode with stock control.
Really? It sure sounded like it; but it’s been a while since I’ve had the oem setup. It’s obnoxious lol
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 05:20 PM   #25
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

I had LEIB CAN module that let me turn off cold start.

The only problem was that it took a lot longer for the "full drive power available shortly" sequence to end. It was a few minutes and really annoying. A couple of times it was stuck in that sequence and I had to turn off and then on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 07:00 PM   #26
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
I had LEIB CAN module that let me turn off cold start.

The only problem was that it took a lot longer for the "full drive power available shortly" sequence to end. It was a few minutes and really annoying. A couple of times it was stuck in that sequence and I had to turn off and then on the car.
That’s only on OPF equipped vehicles.
Appreciate 0