03-04-2024, 09:27 AM   #68
Sedgehammer
Rep
Drives: X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
I think he means B58.

There’s no bearing issues on the S58 dude…. Lol
Yes, B58. miss type. Well that's good then. I am new to the BMW engines. We are wanting to put a S55 or a S58 into a 93 Defender, thus my question based on some comments in this thread
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:40 AM   #69
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedgehammer View Post
Yes, B58. miss type. Well that's good then. I am new to the BMW engines. We are wanting to put a S55 or a S58 into a 93 Defender, thus my question based on some comments in this thread
If those are your options and can source one, I’d do S58 any day of the week and a billion times on Sunday. I know people love their BMW engines and some will rave about a 55 and 54, but for me, the S58 is finally culmination of what previous versions wanted to be but weren’t. I’m not sure what changed at BMW or if anything, but it truly has finally “peaked” if you will and has fixed all the stupid shit from the old versions.

What are you guys going to do for ECU and stuff? Are you going standalone?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 02:31 PM   #70
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
If those are your options and can source one, I’d do S58 any day of the week and a billion times on Sunday. I know people love their BMW engines and some will rave about a 55 and 54, but for me, the S58 is finally culmination of what previous versions wanted to be but weren’t. I’m not sure what changed at BMW or if anything, but it truly has finally “peaked” if you will and has fixed all the stupid shit from the old versions.

+1

The S58 in my opinion is superior than the N54 and N55.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 04:17 PM   #71
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
the S58 is finally culmination of what previous versions wanted to be but weren’t. I’m not sure what changed at BMW or if anything, but it truly has finally “peaked” if you will and has fixed all the stupid shit from the old versions.
It's because this very likely to be BMWs last mass produced performance ICE. Companies have tons of stored up R&D that they slowly release. Traditionally either because of a gentlemen's agreement or to just avoid blowing their whole load and releasing all of their stuff at once. With this being the last ICE, no reason to hold back. Here it is, their crown jewel.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2024, 09:15 PM   #72
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

It’s not the last performance engine they’re going to make. Lol Their problem is they kept milking the bullshit N platform so much to try to polish a turd that someone finally wised up and started from the basics with a simple, strong design for what works.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 12:34 PM   #73
Sedgehammer
Rep
Drives: X4

Quote:

Dunno yet. This is all gathering info at this point. Might buy a salvaged car with the engine and bring over all the needed electronics n wiring. Use the trans and transfer case. i made a new thread on this subject
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:32 AM   #74
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It’s not the last performance engine they’re going to make. Lol Their problem is they kept milking the bullshit N platform so much to try to polish a turd that someone finally wised up and started from the basics with a simple, strong design for what works.
It is the last mass produced ICE they will fully design. M3/M4 is going EV in 2027, M2 is slated to make the move 2029 when its current model production ends, M5 is going hybrid this year with the existing S68, and the next gen will be full EV. The German plant stopped producing gas engines last year, Austria will now produce the existing gas engines and in country production will be all EV. Other car makers have pledged to go full EV by 2030, BMW is the last hold out not stating a date, but the writing is on the wall.

Why would they pour 100s of millions into R&D of a new engine that won't be mass produced? They're going to build on what they have, there won't be another generational jump of gas engines after the current ones.

Last edited by evidence; 03-06-2024 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:05 AM   #75
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evidence View Post
Other car makers have pledged to go full EV by 2030, BMW is the last hold out not stating a date, but the writing is on the wall.
And some are already walking those pledges back.

There is zero chance that the Australian market is ready for EV-only by 2030, and I'm sure that's true for countless others.

Brand's giving up on any sort of ICE vehicles will absolutely tank their sales in many markets, perhaps causing them to withdraw altogether.

I'm an EV fan, and I think for many people they are a great choice, but the whole market any time in the next ten years? No way.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:01 AM   #76
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 340i, BMW 2020 M340i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post

There is zero chance that the Australian market is ready for EV-only by 2030, and I'm sure that's true for countless others.

Brand's giving up on any sort of ICE vehicles will absolutely tank their sales in many markets, perhaps causing them to withdraw altogether.

I'm an EV fan, and I think for many people they are a great choice, but the whole market any time in the next ten years? No way.
Toyota has stated that they will not be going full EV. Hybrid is the future as the car is self generating with ICE and electric assist. EV is not the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:47 AM   #77
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post

Gas engines will be produced far past that, probably 15 years at least. Just saying R&D is moving away from ICE. It will be going into EV either for full EV or hybrid to assist the current line of ICE.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 11:25 AM   #78
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It is the last mass produced ICE they will fully design. M3/M4 is going EV in 2027, M2 is slated to make the move 2029 when its current model production ends, M5 is going hybrid this year with the existing S68, and the next gen will be full EV. The German plant stopped producing gas engines last year, Austria will now produce the existing gas engines and in country production will be all EV. Other car makers have pledged to go full EV by 2030, BMW is the last hold out not stating a date, but the writing is on the wall.

Why would they pour 100s of millions into R&D of a new engine that won't be mass produced? They're going to build on what they have, there won't be another generational jump of gas engines after the current ones.
Do you have any “evidence” on what you’re saying?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:03 PM   #79
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you have any “evidence” on what you’re saying?
2027 M3/M4 EV https://www.motortrend.com/news/2027...thing-we-know/
2024 M5 S68 hybrid https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/06/05/2...18-horsepower/
2029 M2 end of cycle https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/08/14/b...-10000-m2-g87/
Germany no longer producing ICE engines https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...nes-in-germany

Certainly no lack of glaring signs with all that, and then in the M2 article:

Quote:
With the rear-wheel-drive sports coupe being the last non-hybrid M product, purists are expected to buy the car even if the styling is a tad controversial.
BMW will produce existing ICE engines for many years to come. They have plainly stated that as long as their customers want gas engines, they will sell them. The climate caused by regulation and incentives means the market is forced to shift, and R&D moves with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:45 PM   #80
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Somehow I knew you’d miss the joke. Lol
Appreciate 1
evidence202.00
      03-06-2024, 03:08 PM   #81
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Somehow I knew you’d miss the joke. Lol
Nice dodge

Hopefully they maintain some model of hybrid to keep us happy for the foreseeable future, though EU regulation could F us
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:07 PM   #82
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nice dodge

Hopefully they maintain some model of hybrid to keep us happy for the foreseeable future, though EU regulation could F us
Nobody’s dodging anything… I wasn’t calling you out… I saw your name and cracked a joke since it lined up with a tongue in cheek scenario for your fact spewing. Lol 🙄🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0