BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-27-2024, 06:13 PM   #67
RUNSOK
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 COMP XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Sorry, but this is most emphatically not true. I mean yes to the physics, but the pressures will go up significantly. The CS is a heavy fast car, it will definitely heat up the tires and the brakes.

Even in the middle of summer, I start my first morning session at 26PSI, to end up at 34-35PSI hot.

For the rest of the sessions, it depends on how much the tires get to cool down in between runs. So ambient temps, sunny vs. cloudy, which side of the car gets heated by the sun - all are variables the driver must take into considerations. In my case, I re-adjust the tire pressures before each run - not doing so tends to ruin both the fun and the tires. Since the M cars come with a tire compressor, why not.

After a year on track you tend to develop a sense for it.
Sorry to hijack the thread but what tires are u running when you are starting with cold 26psi to reach 34-35 hot. ?? Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:00 PM   #68
edi221
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
You can see it in this video @ 46 sec. mark:
Wow, I learn something new. Can the cover be taken off permanently? I mean just take the cover off permanently for daily use too?
Appreciate 1
CJ4211559.00
      03-27-2024, 10:49 PM   #69
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi221 View Post
Wow, I learn something new. Can the cover be taken off permanently? I mean just take the cover off permanently for daily use too?
That’s what I do, although it is not recommended. It is very easy to take it off and put it back on, its a just clip.
      03-28-2024, 11:46 AM   #70
willyp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5C, M3CS, X5

Quote:
That’s what I do, although it is not recommended. It is very easy to take it off and put it back on, its a just clip.

Thanks for sharing, I am curious as to why it wouldn't be recommended for daily driving also?
      03-28-2024, 12:39 PM   #71
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
Thanks for sharing, I am curious as to why it wouldn't be recommended for daily driving also?
Supposedly, according to BMW, during inclement weather it allows more water to reach the brakes.
willyp158.50
      03-29-2024, 01:01 PM   #72
BiHT4
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Thats a hell of a car! You drove it like a mad lad!
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2024, 05:27 PM   #73
//M235ixD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 //M235i xDrive

Great video!! Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 10:40 AM   #74
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNSOK View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but what tires are u running when you are starting with cold 26psi to reach 34-35 hot. ?? Thx
I've run various. Nitto NT01, Yoko 052, Toyo R888, slicks of various denominations. I run the advanced or instructor groups, the pace is fairly high and these are fast/heavy cars, tires do heat up quickly. The OP's car is very fast, so if he is a decent hand behind the wheel...

I think I'd still recommend a difference of 6PSI to begin with even in the Intermediate group. See where that takes you, and adjust accordingly. Since it isn't a race, if something feels off, you can pull into the hot pits and adjust mid-session if needed.

You need to experiment and understand how precise the onboard TPMS is, if you are using it for monitoring (I use it but mine typically shows about 0.5-1PSI low on the track setup).

Naturally you need to know what hot pressures to aim for, and that is tire-dependent (follow the tire manufacturer recommendations).

Many tires start to get greasy once they go past the recommended hot pressures and/or temps. Once the pressure/temp shoots up past the recommended values, it is very hard to bring back down while lapping. Managing that aspect basically lets you either enjoy the full 30 min session, or just a peak of 2-3 laps.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
RUNSOK237.00
      04-01-2024, 10:45 AM   #75
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

OP, if you itch to go back on track soon, the Colonial Challenge Cup runs 1 day at Summit Point on April 11. I've run with them for many years.

It's a relaxed group, who donates the proceeds towards a worthy cause
(sponsoring scholarships for kids in need).

I've signed up, and so have a few of my friends. Hope to see you there if you decide to come. Look for the only Santorini F80 in the paddock.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
RUNSOK237.00
      04-01-2024, 10:55 AM   #76
RUNSOK
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 COMP XDRIVE

Quote:
I've run various. Nitto NT01, Yoko 052, Toyo R888, slicks of various denominations. I run the advanced or instructor groups, the pace is fairly high and these are fast/heavy cars, tires do heat up quickly. The OP's car is very fast, so if he is a decent hand behind the wheel...

I think I'd still recommend a difference of 6PSI to begin with even in the Intermediate group. See where that takes you, and adjust accordingly. Since it isn't a race, if something feels off, you can pull into the hot pits and adjust mid-session if needed.

You need to experiment and understand how precise the onboard TPMS is, if you are using it for monitoring (I use it but mine typically shows about 0.5-1PSI low on the track setup).

Naturally you need to know what hot pressures to aim for, and that is tire-dependent (follow the tire manufacturer recommendations).

Many tires start to get greasy once they go past the recommended hot pressures and/or temps. Once the pressure/temp shoots up past the recommended values, it is very hard to bring back down while lapping. Managing that aspect basically lets you either enjoy the full 30 min session, or just a peak of 2-3 laps.
Thanks for the info. I am aware of cooking the tires when you get passed the recommended pressures and temp. I am on stock oem michelin stars on a completely stock car g82x. If I am looking for a 6psi gap between cold and hot pressures do you know what hot pressure I should shoot for the michelins?? I have been on track many times on formula cars in scca and road bikes as well. Just want to know what is a good hot pressure/temp for the oem michelins these cars come with. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 11:30 AM   #77
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
OP, if you itch to go back on track soon, the Colonial Challenge Cup runs 1 day at Summit Point on April 11. I've run with them for many years.

It's a relaxed group, who donates the proceeds towards a worthy cause
(sponsoring scholarships for kids in need).

I've signed up, and so have a few of my friends. Hope to see you there if you decide to come. Look for the only Santorini F80 in the paddock.
The itch is strong with this one!

Unfortunately, work/family schedule is not suitable. My entire schedule is now focused on the May event with the NCC. I hope I'll see you there. Be safe and run fast!
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am aware of cooking the tires when you get passed the recommended pressures and temp. I am on stock oem michelin stars on a completely stock car g82x. If I am looking for a 6psi gap between cold and hot pressures do you know what hot pressure I should shoot for the michelins?? I have been on track many times on formula cars in scca and road bikes as well. Just want to know what is a good hot pressure/temp for the oem michelins these cars come with. Thanks.
Obviously, I cannot give specific recommendations on cold pressures, but I just wanted to suggest that you probably should plan on 7-9 psi increase, not 6
      04-01-2024, 03:19 PM   #78
vlo
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Excellent write up. Loved this track when I lived in Arlington. Did ~10 track days there with my s2000 and 370z. If it wasn’t 2k miles away now I’d definitely bring the m3 there!
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 03:42 PM   #79
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
I just completed a track day at Knockhill in the M3CS, great weather with 14degc outside temp.

First time I’ve been on a track day with the car and only the 2nd or 3rd at knockhill. I put a 58 sec dead on a recorded lap using PS4S which with a full tank and 2 of us i was happy with, the tyres were melting and I couldn’t adjust pressures when warm as I had no pump so just ran with slightly over inflated rubber. I was seeing about 2.9 bar and 60-70degC tyre temp

I ran the car mostly in 4WD sport mdm on, comfort steering, sport brake, sport +suspension and sport engine. I did shift to 2wd traction 7 for a few laps and it was fine, just as planted really.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 03:53 PM   #80
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! I hope you have a great time, I am sure you will

I was using the Sport for steering, and it felt fine to me. The instructor suggested I use the Normal setting. I did not feel anything different frankly, it was a non-issue either way.

I experimented with Normal setting for brakes initially, then I tried Sport for the sake of trying, and it felt much better. The 'better' part wasn't about how applied the braking, but more during the release of the brakes. I was much smoother releasing the brakes, but I cannot say why that was the case. So, I left it in Sport afterwards.

Other M settings that worked really well for me were:
- Engine: Sport
- Suspension: Sport+
- Trans: S3
- MDM
- AWD Sport

As I mention in my write up, there is much I can write on the tyres, and I did not for the sake of not boring everyone. One thing I can mention about my PS4S experience is that how the tyres behaviour changed depending on the initial 4-5 miles of heat build up. If I pushed the tires a bit too early, they did not do well throughout the whole session. If I took my time, stayed patient, then they performed at an acceptable range.

That initial heat build up, btw, wasn't during the corners, but under braking. If I used all of the braking available too early, the tyre would shoot up in temp, which you don't realize because the screen only updates once per minute, I believe. That rapid build up, screwed 2 sessions for me, until I figure it out. So, I used about 70-80% of the braking for the first two laps, then went on as usual.

Best of luck to you.
Hey

I ran the same as you but only difference was I left the steering in Comfort, as you said, I couldn’t really tell the difference.

One thing, my fronts were in worse condition than the rears by the end, did you experience the same?

I only had 2 hrs of track time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:18 PM   #81
m2for2
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyuhh View Post
How did you like the ZF transmission on track ?
Good question
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 09:19 PM   #82
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by butraymond View Post
nice car! I’m in the black m2c.
Will you be at the May event with the NCC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
Hey

I ran the same as you but only difference was I left the steering in Comfort, as you said, I couldn’t really tell the difference.

One thing, my fronts were in worse condition than the rears by the end, did you experience the same?

Firstly, I hope you tell us about your experience

I will take pictures of the tires to compare, but I think my tires may look a tad better than yours. Then again, I only ran about 110-120 miles on dry track due heavy rain. And I was timid and slow, so I don't think my tires even noticed they were running on a track, besides the high temps and pressure gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2for2 View Post
Good question
Please see post #11
      04-02-2024, 09:37 PM   #83
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The itch is strong with this one!

Unfortunately, work/family schedule is not suitable. My entire schedule is now focused on the May event with the NCC. I hope I'll see you there. Be safe and run fast!
NCC is a little too crowded for me, especially at Summit Point. That means you end up spending time in long trains behind slower cars.

My advice in general, look for events run by Chin (best organization, best drivers), Trackdaze, Hooked on Driving, and others. And most definitely sign up for a 2-day event at VIR. That track was *made* for our cars, much better than Summit.

I know, I know, one step at a time. But I had to get it out.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 2
PDOT133.00
      04-02-2024, 10:15 PM   #84
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
NCC is a little too crowded for me, especially at Summit Point. That means you end up spending time in long trains behind slower cars.

My advice in general, look for events run by Chin (best organization, best drivers), Trackdaze, Hooked on Driving, and others. And most definitely sign up for a 2-day event at VIR. That track was *made* for our cars, much better than Summit.

I know, I know, one step at a time. But I had to get it out.
I actually like traffic . Of course, if it gets so bad that I cannot run even a single clean lap, that's different. We'll see...

I love VIR. I was there, I think, last time in 2013. I quit tracking around 2015 or so, if I remember right. Now I want to try a new track I never been to, like Thunderbolt or PittRace. I am not sure I will be able to do it this year, but for sure next year.
      04-03-2024, 11:24 AM   #85
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey

As I suspected, I think my tires overall look a tad better than yours. And I imagine, you were pushing the car/tires more than I were

These are the front left:
Name:  PostTrackRun - LF Tire.png
Views: 84
Size:  1.25 MB
Name:  PostTrackRun - LF Shoulder.png
Views: 86
Size:  1.17 MB

Here is the right front:
Name:  PostTrackRun - RF Tire.png
Views: 85
Size:  1.44 MB

And the left rear:
Name:  PostTrackRun - LR Tire.png
Views: 89
Size:  871.2 KB
      04-03-2024, 02:11 PM   #86
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2for2 View Post
Good question
I found it was great! I had it in its quickest setting and I never felt like it was slow or unresponsive, it’s fast but definitely not the fastest change I’ve had. It never made any difference to the experience.

One thing I like more with the Zf than the DCT cahnge is that with the DCT in its quickest setting it felt like it unsettled the car a bit, so I think Zf is better in this regard.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 04:57 PM   #87
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
I found it was great! I had it in its quickest setting and I never felt like it was slow or unresponsive, it’s fast but definitely not the fastest change I’ve had. It never made any difference to the experience.

One thing I like more with the Zf than the DCT change is that with the DCT in its quickest setting it felt like it unsettled the car a bit, so I think Zf is better in this regard.
Yes, I completely agree as well.
      04-13-2024, 02:44 AM   #88
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
One thing I like more with the Zf than the DCT cahnge is that with the DCT in its quickest setting it felt like it unsettled the car a bit, so I think Zf is better in this regard.
Reminds me of why I had my DCT tuned on XHP to find a better clamping force sweet spot which I did and made me appreciate the gearbox even more.

adc curious your thoughts on the F8x DCT box in stock fashion vs the ZF8HP tuned for the CS in particular.
Appreciate 0