BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-18-2021, 10:24 PM   #1
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AMG c63s

Xdrive without the M Drive Professional?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Team,

Did anyone get the xdrive without the option that M drive Pro adds?

I'm curious to see how rowdy the car is when changing to RWD with traction fully off.

I had the 1-10 setting on my AMG for a little added support on a fishtail with the setting at 4 or 5.

Any feedback is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 10:31 PM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci View Post
Team,

I'm curious to see how rowdy the car is when changing to RWD with traction fully off.

I had the 1-10 setting on my AMG for a little added support on a fishtail with the setting at 4 or 5.

How is this different from a RWD with traction off, or an AWD with M Drive Professional set to the lowest setting?

You don't need an AWD without M Drive Pro to know the answer to this.
      12-18-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Team,

How is this different from a RWD with traction off, or an AWD with M Drive Professional set to the lowest setting?

You don't need an AWD without M Drive Pro to know the answer to this.
Good point indeed, just trying to see if it should a deal breaker since I missed an opportunity to purchase one without this and living in regret haha.

$900 option that just adds that little bit of safety I guess
Appreciate 1
kjx3162.50
      12-19-2021, 07:01 AM   #4
Nicky_do_it
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP manual (previous)

Quote:
Good point indeed, just trying to see if it should a deal breaker since I missed an opportunity to purchase one without this and living in regret haha.

Are you saying that you regret passing on an Xdrive because it didnt have Mdrive professional?

While I am waiting for my allocation, I am leaning on not choosing this option. Depends on the individuals intent and skill level. I dont view as a must have for all but if you plan on drifting and need to develop your abilities, then yes. There might be other reasons like you have. Since you used it in your MB, it might be something you want, if not just for piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 10:56 AM   #5
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it View Post
Quote:

Are you saying that you regret passing on an Xdrive because it didnt have Mdrive professional?

While I am waiting for my allocation, I am leaning on not choosing this option. Depends on the individuals intent and skill level. I dont view as a must have for all but if you plan on drifting and need to develop your abilities, then yes. There might be other reasons like you have. Since you used it in your MB, it might be something you want, if not just for piece of mind.
There is zero traction control in 2WD mode for the AWD car without this. I had skipped it in the first spec sheet but added it in pretty fast because like most things you can't get it after the fact.
      12-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #6
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

My $.02. Since steering feel has been confirmed as exactly the same in xdrive and rear drive the only reason I would put it into rear drive mode is to drift and do burn outs. Personally, I've never done it, but I can't think of reason you would need traction control in RWD on an xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #7
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you are building it, I would 100%. The ability to adjust traction switching into RWD is absolutely worth the $900 to me at least.
Appreciate 1
M_Adaptive1765.50
      12-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #8
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Quote:

There is zero traction control in 2WD mode for the AWD car without this. I had skipped it in the first spec sheet but added it in pretty fast because like most things you can't get it after the fact.
Oh for sure, if it's a custom build it's a no brainer for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #9
Nicky_do_it
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am in the same boat as Gfit. Just dont when or why i would use it given the rear bias of the xdrive. For burnouts and donuts, its not needed
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #10
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
My $.02. Since steering feel has been confirmed as exactly the same in xdrive and rear drive the only reason I would put it into rear drive mode is to drift and do burn outs. Personally, I've never done it, but I can't think of reason you would need traction control in RWD on an xdrive.
Exactly this reason is why I would recommend and want it. If you have zero intentions on getting even more spirited drifting the car, I wouldn't opt for this spec.

Personally, I love the rebellious U-turn and occasional drift but I haven't driven this car and only comparing to a AMG that had this brilliant option. When I would have traction off, the setting would sit around 4/5 just adding that tiny bit of support if even needed Might sound crazy, but for $900 it's a no brainer on a 90k car..

Mustang owners need this haha
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #11
unseen orko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i, Audi Q5

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly this reason is why I would recommend and want it. If you have zero intentions on getting even more spirited drifting the car, I wouldn't opt for this spec.

Personally, I love the rebellious U-turn and occasional drift but I haven't driven this car and only comparing to a AMG that had this brilliant option. When I would have traction off, the setting would sit around 4/5 just adding that tiny bit of support if even needed Might sound crazy, but for $900 it's a no brainer on a 90k car..

I have M3 xdrive. I did not select that option. I was skeptical when I placed my order just like OP but after driving the car, I don't think I'll ever use that traction control. This car is insane as it is… the limits are so high that I have to be extremely skilled and be at a track to experiment with 10 stages. I'm sure it's a good safety net to have if you will be experimenting but I don't think I'm going to. Even in MDM mode, there is enough play and frankly I'm enjoying the MDM mode.

Have had the car for just 2 days - those that are still waiting for their cars - believe me, it's worth your wait, it's that good.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #12
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen orko View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I have M3 xdrive. I did not select that option. I was skeptical when I placed my order just like OP but after driving the car, I don't think I'll ever use that traction control. This car is insane as it is… the limits are so high that I have to be extremely skilled and be at a track to experiment with 10 stages. I'm sure it's a good safety net to have if you will be experimenting but I don't think I'm going to. Even in MDM mode, there is enough play and frankly I'm enjoying the MDM mode.

Have had the car for just 2 days - those that are still waiting for their cars - believe me, it's worth your wait, it's that good.
Congrats!! And yes, safe driving out there fellas
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #13
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

I got the M drive pro and there was no way I was skipping that option. Any feature that allows more control and extra variables to change the driving experience is worth it to me.
      12-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #14
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
I did not waste the 900 bucks on my M3X!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #15
Nicky_do_it
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadHater View Post
I got the M drive pro and there was no way I was skipping that option. Any feature that allows more control and extra variables to change the driving experience is worth it to me.
But it is only functional in 2wd. Some of us have no intention to put in 2wd for a drift. Imho, its not a must have for most but understand may be for some
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #16
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
But it is only functional in 2wd. Some of us have no intention to put in 2wd for a drift. Imho, its not a must have for most but understand may be for some
2wd is fun sometimes, no drifting required.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #17
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

Easier to control your power slide with variable traction. On other M cars, I’ve often wanted something a bit more aggressive than MDM to sustain a slide vs having it completely off.

With the traction set at a limit, you could put your foot down to the floor and the wheels won’t slip at more than a certain rate. You do that with traction off and the car will spin around or go in a direction with the tail out that’s harder to recover from.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #18
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a car nerd. I love all the options that bmw is giving the driver. I'll mess around in all the different settings.
      12-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #19
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

^^ this. I find car setup fun. I have it and I plan to experiment with it. I will likely switch to rwd at the track and play with the different levels. We have a very similar system on the race cars. But I agree its not a must have.
Appreciate 2
CadHater766.00
chicagofan0018923.00