BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #89
Delmoney335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM G80 comp

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmoney335 View Post
Quote:
Feel sorry for those that bought the RWD and didn't wait. This car will rival the M5C.
Yea it's so sad for us who have our cars. Not sure how we can live with ourselves lol
Meant no offense. It's just how I would feel.
And you have the right to feel that way. I just don't think the majority of those with RWD are regretting it.

Not sure why the convo has pivoted to Rwd is trash now because x-drive is available. We all knew it would be coming in 2022. It's a beast , no surprise there.
      08-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #90
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
STOCK? What does that word mean?
Ha! Looking forward to seeing if this platform can reach the heights of the R35.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #91
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Feel sorry for those that bought the RWD and didn't wait. This car will rival the M5C.
Yea it's so sad for us who have our cars. Not sure how we can live with ourselves lol
And you have the right to feel that way. I just don't think the majority of those with RWD are regretting it.

Not sure why the convo has pivoted to Rwd is trash now because x-drive is available. We all knew it would be coming in 2022.
Far as I can see you're the only one that specifically mentioned RWD being trash. Not me.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16329.50
      08-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #92
Delmoney335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM G80 comp

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure why the convo has pivoted to Rwd is trash now because x-drive is available. We all knew it would be coming in 2022.
Far as I can see you're the only one that specifically mentioned RWD being trash. Not me.
Ok man you know what I mean, Carry on.
      08-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #93
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't have either car, but I would still opt for the RWD 6MT. It's only auto for the AWD, correct?

Unless you are spending a lot of time at the drag strip, like to street race and risk jail, or live in the middle of nowhere where you can get away with it, the 6MT is way more appealing IMO.

Still very impressive for a $100K BMW.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2021, 12:43 PM   #94
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugar View Post
Guys, the OP is in the UK so these are British seconds, not international units. In North America that would convert to around 4.3 seconds. Still impressive.
Oof… keep forgetting about that darn time zone difference.
Appreciate 1
NoSugar134.50
      08-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #95
yche
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Wrong. Even when decoupled from the engine, all the AWD components still need to rotate, generating loss and inertia drag in the process.
You are correct. Thanks for the clarification!

The driving experience is also an important factor. No doubt, both AWD and RWD G8x are all amazing.

I am waiting for more reviews of the AWD and future deep comparisons in various situations.

For M xDrive, the questions are:

1. Does "Sport AWD" as fun to drive as the RWD version G8x?
(Variable distribution of drive torque between the front and rear wheels from xDrive system.)

BMW claims M xDrive is complemented by a double-joint spring strut front axle redesigned for these models and featuring specially adapted front axle geometry and an individually tuned steering ratio.

2. Does "2WD mode" practical and drivable in daily driving scenarios?
(For those who may willing to use "2WD mode" as the main configuration.)

Both cars can have 10 stage traction control. However, DSC must be turned OFF for M xDrive to transfer to an RWD car. BMW recommends using it only for track purposes.

Remember, this S58 engine has 510hp. So I'm saying is it safe and comfortable to use "2WD mode" on public roads?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #96
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Its MSRP is at 99,200 or so, but it's 109 out of my pocket after sales tax. Every option except the following - no carbon bucket seats, no seat ventilation, no carbon ceramic brakes, no shadow-line headlights.

Oh and there's $5K for individual paint so that's where the price bump comes in.
I wish you the best, and am sure you won't be disappointed. I am, however, in a bit of sticker-shock moment right now. You're clearing 99k flat, with no CCBs and no bucket seats. Wow, really sets a new barometer of what I should expect my next 6 figures to get me.

Enjoy the car, what's the color choice if you don't mind me asking?

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:03 PM   #97
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
To be fair, the model 3 performance doesn't need any special prep for its 3 second times. The BMW took multiple tries at a drag strip.

The BMW is a much better car (which is why I swapped my Model 3 P for it), but don't go expecting to smoke M3Ps with your x-drive at random red light pulls.
Agreed, I am also not sure why Model 3 is compared to M3 since M3 is 2x as expensive.
      08-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #98
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
To be fair, the model 3 performance doesn't need any special prep for its 3 second times. The BMW took multiple tries at a drag strip.

The BMW is a much better car (which is why I swapped my Model 3 P for it), but don't go expecting to smoke M3Ps with your x-drive at random red light pulls.
Agreed, I am also not sure why Model 3 is compared to M3 since M3 is 2x as expensive.
Well on a price comparison front it changes all the time given how fast and loose Tesla is with their pricing.

I bought a Model 3 Performance without the bullshit FSD for about 60k, my relatively-loaded G80 ran me about 90k, so in my case it's more like a 30% increase.

For those who care, the G80 is slower everywhere below 80mph but infinitely more fun. The only other advantage the Tesla has is the steering - it's got a quicker steering rack which I prefer to the G80s slower-but-still-quick rack.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #99
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Why are we bringing up tesla in this thread? Those cars are absolute junk.
Appreciate 3
      08-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #100
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Cool, I'll still take a used 991 porsche 911 4s for that price... and its not even close

Handling > 0-60 speed
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9702.50
Limegrntaln13442.00
      08-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #101
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
I wish you the best, and am sure you won't be disappointed. I am, however, in a bit of sticker-shock moment right now. You're clearing 99k flat, with no CCBs and no bucket seats. Wow, really sets a new barometer of what I should expect my next 6 figures to get me.

Enjoy the car, what's the color choice if you don't mind me asking?
I generally load out my cars because that’s the only way I’ll enjoy them for all the years I’ll have them without being bugged about some feature not being there. Will I use M drive Professional for example? Maybe barely, maybe a lot, but the $900 is worth keeping my mind free of it and focused on things that’ll make me money. I absolutely love my 435i GC simply because it’s loaded out and looks absolutely gorgeous 5 years out from purchase. There are very few non-M old or brand new 3 or 4 series cars out there I can say that for (subjective). I’m only making the jump for even more power and performance - and the AWD perf levels should keep me happy for another 5 years or longer.

I’ve gone for Enzian Blue just like snareman. Interiors are, and we’ll know if this was a good idea when I get it, Kyalami Orange. I’ve two Carbon Black Metallic cars with white interiors, and it’s time to shake things up with eye-searing colors.
Appreciate 2
RowanBuds1707.00
Limegrntaln13442.00
      08-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #102
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yche View Post
Remember, this S58 engine has 510hp. So I'm saying is it safe and comfortable to use "2WD mode" on public roads?
I'd compare it to a striker-fired pistol - your right foot is your safety. It really depends how trigger happy you are. Just use your head and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:41 PM   #103
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioM2Comp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Actually Car and Driver tested the X3M Comp at 0-60 in 3.3 seconds! Granted they will probably get the M4 xdrive under 3.0 seconds with the way they test them.

5-60 is a different story at 4.6 or 4.7 which just shows how long it takes for turbos to get going in normal conditions (guessing M3 will be similar), problem most turbo engines have.
So basically, the only way you will be faster than a rwd is from a dead stop and having time to do a proper launch?

If the car does mid 4’s 5-60 than it’s not really that much faster during normal driving than a rwd.

IMO, unless you drag race, for street driving 5-60 is very important.
Is this car really mid 4’s 5-60?
AWD will be faster on roll and launch… too long to explain the dynamics of BMW's mastered XDRIVE.
With that said, I have a 21 x3mc, you can't run 3 seconds or 3.3 stock.. I don't care what car and driver claimed.. it's remotely impossible.. until I see some evidence. With that said everyone needs to applaud what's going on here and stop hating (some are hating). Car is not even broken in, launch hasn't been perfect.. tires not even broken in.
Best part of all of this is and I'll put money to watch is
M5C vs
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #104
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gill View Post
After a few attempts in different conditions covered in my thread I managed a 3.07s in my M4 xDrive today, using 4WD Sport mode. This car is insane!

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/iq3bt1s5nj...6661.PNG?raw=1[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Can't speak for the G8x, but even in my m340i with xdrive, I can easily kick the rear end out if I'm motivated to. BMW's xdrive is tuned for fun it seems, so I can only imagine it being even more so in the G8x.
Good to know. So I wonder if the M Drive Professional is worth it for someone who just plans to daily drive this thing and rarely take it to the track. I might just add it on anyways since it's only $900, but I never even messed with it on my RWD so just feels like it might be a waste.. just don't want to feel like I'm missing out either
I speced my G83 with the M Drive professional.

G83 should be 3.2 sec, as the vert is always 0.1sec slowly then the coupe. My F95 ZCP will have "ZCP" competition in the garage now🤣
      08-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #105
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

@ Steve Gill. Nice flat cap there chap . How you doing matey, been a while.

Car goes rather well, doesn't it
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #106
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
This is based on a phone app, correct? No disrespect, but I don't believe these are as well-calibrated as something like a VBox unit (and phones don't sample GPS coordinates/velocity nearly high enough for accurate readings over short durations like this).

But no doubt, these launches look very aggressive. Impressive.
it uses Draggy which is a separate physical device with sensors and GPS akin to a VBOX. The results are accurate based on what I've seen compared to other VBOX's
True, but a lot of guys underestimate the impact of a slight incline/decline that isn't perceptible.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #107
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

That's an absurdly quick time. Any ideas what the 0-100mph time was?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #108
Traind
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
What people seem to forget when they talk about the AWD, is, you're probably not getting much power loss, if any at all. This car isn't full time AWD. Its AWD when the rear tires start to slip. You're carrying no driveline loss at speed. And I wouldn't dock the AWD for the driveline loss while in AWD, because any drag it creates, it makes up for by getting you to your goal quicker. In this case, much quicker.

This is why I waited for the AWD. I see people posting about, "why do I need AWD, I don't live where it snows?" That answer scares the shit out of me. If you don't understand the performance benefits of AWD, and only see it being used for inclement weather, you should probably be driving a Prius.
I made the weather point earlier, here's a counterpoint to your limited view/Prius comment:
RWD feels different from AWD at and approaching the limit. Every review I have seen so far praises the new rwd's handling feel and traction....often saying it may be the best M3 ever in that regard. That feel is one reason I am considering purchase and I am not sure if the xdrive will change things or how much.

I have 3 driving schools and many track days, with multiple generations of M3s, under my belt and I have daily driven M3's for 13 years in the northeast U.S. AWD is a nice feature for weather and traction but I am concerned about the feel. If you have ever learned to have a rwd performance car at or very near the limit on track, you might have joined the club that loves to balance a rwd car's chassis through turns. When you get it right, it's a delight. I'm guessing this may be foreign to you, thus you made the Prius comment.

Importantly, I have never tracked nor pushed a BMW xdrive before. It sounds like it is heavily rwd biased in xdrive sport+ mode, so that alleviates some of my concern. If you want to go to rwd mode, you need to turn off stability control, which is a concern in some scenarios and for some people. However, the10 stage traction control being available with stability off works for track time for sure. Additional weight isn't too bad at 100 pounds. But you realize people spend many thousands of dollars trying to shave half that amount off their sports car, don't you?

So I am cautiously optimistic that the xdrive package will be great and living in the NE, it could be a fit for me. But it's not because of a 0-60 time. If that's the appeal, go electric. Save up and get a Plaid that will utterly destroy any M3 in a straight line. Or any other BMW for that matter.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13442.00
      08-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #109
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnotsomuchf80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnotsomuchf80 View Post
all the AWD haters just don't understand, once you highly tune the G8X, you need AWD. My F80 is constantly slipping and that was the only reason I didn't go full 900whp build. AWD solves that issue. Past certain torque levels, it's just dangerous and inefficient to have RWD
Just out of curiosity who is hating on AWD? Especially with this car. You can turn it off anytime you want. I haven't seen anybody hating it.
Search the forums. A lot of people hating on the weight addition of AWD to "an already heavy car"
Every opposing opinion is labeled "hating" these days. The word has virtually no meaning anymore.
Appreciate 4
CanAutM321116.50
swagon13519.50
      08-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #110
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

This is excellent!!!
Appreciate 0