BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #221
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras550 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Erasing the smugness from Model 3 Performance owners, bravo
In case you missed it, the 3 years old Model 3 P is 2.98 to 60mph! Better luck next time.
But it's still a Tesla though..and it's electric
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #222
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Quote:
M5 better watch out!

This car is insane, with a mild tune bmw won't need a super car, when's it's saloon can roll by most of them!
Thats a mute argument, just tune the M5, and so it goes on.
Yes, I always seen M5 as a power house that would require some heavy modding to keep up with. My point was that they are so close now
I can't wrap my brain around this logic of thinking.
And that's ok

Everyone is weird in their own way
Nah it's beyond weird. I don't even know what category it would fall under. Weird is people who think the earth is flat.

I don't think slapping a tune on a G8x and then getting close or surpassing a F9x is much of an accomplishment. It's the equivalent of a participation trophy. You had to tune the car and then compare it to the outgoing model. Not getting a ticker tape parade for that.

Car guys are more excited for the evolution of performance with each Gen and what this benchmark means for the rest of the lineups, especially the M's. Non-car guys or those who need to brag about what they drive are the ones who can't see how asinine their comments are.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #223
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Quote:
M5 better watch out!

This car is insane, with a mild tune bmw won't need a super car, when's it's saloon can roll by most of them!
Thats a mute argument, just tune the M5, and so it goes on.
Yes, I always seen M5 as a power house that would require some heavy modding to keep up with. My point was that they are so close now
I can't wrap my brain around this logic of thinking.
And that's ok

Everyone is weird in their own way
Nah it's beyond weird. I don't even know what category it would fall under. Weird is people who think the earth is flat.

I don't think slapping a tune on a G8x and then getting close or surpassing a F9x is much of an accomplishment. It's the equivalent of a participation trophy. You had to tune the car and then compare it to the outgoing model. Not getting a ticker tape parade for that.

Car guys are more excited for the evolution of performance with each Gen and what this benchmark means for the rest of the lineups, especially the M's. Non-car guys or those who need to brag about what they drive are the ones who can't see how asinine their comments are.
I'm not sure what triggers this write up.
Let me break it down for you.

Mild tune is just like competition and non comp models, same parts, so it's unlocking power

Outgoing model? There is no new one in sight for next year or two so that's a moot point

Comparing how closer m3 got to fastest bmw in production was point.

You ignorant comment and opinion were taken and I nicely said everyone is weird. Having said that essence if forums is for opinions, and one is not better then the other, so again, nicely, buzz off and if you don't like something don't reply, there are hundred other comments you can knit pick on. Have a field day

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 01:47 AM   #224
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
In case you missed it, the 3 years old Model 3 P is 2.98 to 60mph! Better luck next time.
This is actually quite embarrassing for the tesla seeing as being able to go 0 to 60 fast a couple times in a row was clearly their main focus. It's such an arbitrary metric what drag race ends at 60mph 🤣 bmw competes with them at their own game with a 3800+ lb 6 cylinder sedan...that is absolute madness. Also not sure if that tesla time you're quoting factors in rollout or not

Last edited by jkap27; 08-06-2021 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25029.50
      08-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #225
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:
This is actually quite embarrassing for the tesla seeing as being able to go 0 to 60 fast a couple times in a row was clearly their main focus. It's such an arbitrary metric what drag race ends at 60mph 🤣 bmw competes with them at their own game with a 3800+ lb 6 cylinder sedan...that is absolute madness. Also not sure if that tesla time you're quoting factors in rollout or not
Tesla has nothing to be embarrassed about.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #226
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Build quality? I know I would be embarrassed if the cars I produced suffered from worse build quality than an 80's K-car.
Appreciate 4
shoei7779.00
e92ben1053.00
Limegrntaln13433.50
Puuhapete145.00
      08-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #227
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Build quality? I know I would be embarrassed if the cars I produced suffered from worse build quality than an 80's K-car.
Well okay the build quality is apparently crap, they should have that figured out by now.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 03:25 PM   #228
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
That's my knock with Tesla. The interior quality, the seats, etc. The build quality is severely lacking. Fit finish is crap. Tesla owners have found Home Depot parts in their car. The price tags were never removed hence the Home Depot part. A 2005 Lexus has better interior than a Tesla. No I'm not comparing the tech, just the fit finish interior.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #229
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

As I have said before, I am glad all these other cars exist and some people like them better. I leave them to it. The Ms are hard enough to get and expensive already. Could you imagine if everyone and every reviewer loved the car. Shhhh!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #230
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Hilarious how this post proved the point of Tesla owners being smug. Such nerds trying to make an argument over literal 100ths of a second... The only place on Earth where that matters is F1 qualifying.

However, not sure what there is to be smug about with a car that came with a box of tampons.

The thing with Tesla people is their ONLY talking point is being able to beat a (insert super car here) from a stop light to 60mph. And they think everyone cares. But no one does. That should be put in the owners manual to save them some time.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #231
killhour
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4C xDrive, Focus RS, DB9 GT

Both Tesla owners not knowing how to shut up about their cars and other people not knowing how to shut up about Tesla owners are equally annoying.
Appreciate 1
2len78.50
      08-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #232
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tom Cruise View Post
Hilarious how this post proved the point of Tesla owners being smug. Such nerds trying to make an argument over literal 100ths of a second... The only place on Earth where that matters is F1 qualifying.

However, not sure what there is to be smug about with a car that came with a box of tampons.

The thing with Tesla people is their ONLY talking point is being able to beat a (insert super car here) from a stop light to 60mph. And they think everyone cares. But no one does. That should be put in the owners manual to save them some time.
You're on a car forum, in a 0-60 thread with several pages, and you still think no one cares!? From what I've seen, they pull ahead till at least 100+MPH

Yeah, the build quality is questionable and the interior is bland, but they've done something solid with performance. They have produced a cheaper car that launches faster than just about anything else on the road for a fairly low price. They put their foot down, and they're gone. Meanwhile, in your sport M car you have to worry about being in the right mode, having enough octanes in your gas tank, having warm tires, etc to get a decent launch... Can't knock them for that

At the end of the day, we all care about performance or we wouldn't be driving M cars. Tesla is a serious competition, and that's a good thing. it pushes car manufacturers to do more. If it wasn't for them, BMW wouldn't have done much about the traction issues that F80 has, they wouldn't have built an AWD version, and we'd be still talking about a 4 second launch.

Electrification is a trend that makes sense. In another 10-20 years or so, everyone is gonna be disgusted by loud cars, smog, and the manual transmissions that some of you love so dearly. By then your gas car is gonna be a horse in the stable, but it won't be a mode of transportation for your daily commute. They will tax the crap out of gas and gas station will switch over to charging stations. If you're not on the bandwagon by then, they will help you transition.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #233
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tom Cruise View Post

You're on a car forum, in a 0-60 thread with several pages, and you still think no one cares!? From what I've seen, they pull ahead till at least 100+MPH

Yeah, the build quality is questionable and the interior is bland, but they've done something solid with performance. They have produced a cheaper car that launches faster than just about anything else on the road for a fairly low price. They put their foot down, and they're gone. Meanwhile, in your sport M car you have to worry about being in the right mode, having enough octanes in your gas tank, having warm tires, etc to get a decent launch... Can't knock them for that

At the end of the day, we all care about performance or we wouldn't be driving M cars. Tesla is a serious competition, and that's a good thing. it pushes car manufacturers to do more. If it wasn't for them, BMW wouldn't have done much about the traction issues that F80 has, they wouldn't have built an AWD version, and we'd be still talking about a 4 second launch.

Electrification is a trend that makes sense. In another 10-20 years or so, everyone is gonna be disgusted by loud cars, smog, and the manual transmissions that some of you love so dearly. By then your gas car is gonna be a horse in the stable, but it won't be a mode of transportation for your daily commute. They will tax the crap out of gas and gas station will switch over to charging stations. If you're not on the bandwagon by then, they will help you transition.
Doubt that. I'll take that bet.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2021, 08:40 AM   #234
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:

My fear is that metrics like these (I call them spreadsheet metrics) are taking over what used to matter... the visceral driving experience. Whether we have Tesla to blame (or I guess for some people, thank) for that or if it's just natural progression, one thing is for sure - actual driver engagement has taken a backseat.

It goes along with a broader sense of "instant gratification". You allude to that in your post - "they put their foot down, and they're gone" - no drama, no complications, nothing. In reality, the drama and randomness and unpredictability of things is what makes life interesting, and that pours into the driving experience as well.

My issue isn't with Tesla specifically (outside of the build quality issues), it's with EV's and that sense of "perfection" that they offer. It's just not exciting. I've driven the M3P and the MSP100D, and I've never been so bored by such immense performance. Everything was just too perfect, too smooth, too predictable. I find no excitement in that. There's no build-up, no theater, no sounds of machinery straining, no explosive shifts, nothing. It's like watching an action scene with the volume muted. You can see what's happening is epic, but without the sounds, the thumping of the bass, the sound travelling from speaker to speaker in unison with the action.... it's a very lifeless experience.

I actually agree with you on your last point. As time goes on, those visceral driving experiences will fade into memories of barbarism. Not because car enthusiasts will somehow experience some magical epiphany. But because car enthusiasts as we have historically defined them are a dying breed.

I'm not knocking you or anyone else who enjoys any EV. And honestly, comparing metrics can be an entertaining discussion even if ultimately what matters in the real world is how you feel (can't place a metric on that). And the fear is that these metrics are actually taking over what really matters. Everyone has their preferences and I respect that. I'm simply talking about my preferences and how I see things. At the end of the day, each type of technology is impressive in its own way.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
bri10425931.00
      08-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #235
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:

In all seriousness do you actually believe all that BS you just wrote? I mean truly believe it? Electric cars wouldn’t even be a thing if government didn’t interfere with capitalism and force it upon the people. Right now there’s not even close to the necessary infrastructure to support electric vehicles. Do you see this infrastructure increasing at a fast enough rate for your prediction to come true? Of course not. Do you know why? Because no one but a very small percentage of people (less than 20%) that believe in a fantasy theory want it to happen. So you had better pray that governments continue to interfere with capitalism and force it because without that it won’t happen. I’m sure you do.
Appreciate 4
      08-07-2021, 09:23 AM   #236
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Doubt that. I'll take that bet.
I'll take that bet too. To predict that ICE vehicles will be tucked away somewhere in a near useless state in 10 years is just being out of touch with common sense. A complete changeover from gasoline to BEVs, Hydrogen, blah, blah, blah will take far far longer than just ten years. Unless charging times are reduced from hours to a few minutes and ranges are profoundly increased then it will likely never happen at all.
Tell a car buyer that he will have to pull over every 300 miles wait 3 or 4 hours to recharge several times during a trip and observe the response.
Many of those making these unrealistic predictions are also quite ignorant of the fact that there is a very significant percentage of people who absolutely do not want an electric vehicle and will not buy one.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25029.50
      08-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #237
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
The Tesla is a great car and has amazing performance. The new G80/G82 is a great car and has amazing performance. I chose the latter because of the styling and rarity. The model 3 and S are so unbelievably common and somewhat bland to look at. To each his own…
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:42 AM   #238
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
I'll take that bet too. To predict that ICE vehicles will be tucked away somewhere in a near useless state in 10 years is just being out of touch with common sense. A complete changeover from gasoline to BEVs, Hydrogen, blah, blah, blah will take far far longer than just ten years. Unless charging times are reduced from hours to a few minutes and ranges are profoundly increased then it will likely never happen at all.
Tell a car buyer that he will have to pull over every 300 miles wait 3 or 4 hours to recharge several times during a trip and observe the response.
Many of those making these unrealistic predictions are also quite ignorant of the fact that there is a very significant percentage of people who absolutely do not want an electric vehicle and will not buy one.
You can charge at a Tesla supercharger to 80% battery in 25mins
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #239
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
The Tesla is a great car and has amazing performance. The new G80/G82 is a great car and has amazing performance. I chose the latter because of the styling and rarity. The model 3 and S are so unbelievably common and somewhat bland to look at. To each his own…
Yeah... I wish they made a more special version.... like wider fenders etc... but probably don't want to waste resources on a small market when they can't even keep up making higher volume cars...

I mean... roadster should have been out last year..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #240
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
In all seriousness do you actually believe all that BS you just wrote? I mean truly believe it? Electric cars wouldn’t even be a thing if government didn’t interfere with capitalism and force it upon the people. Right now there’s not even close to the necessary infrastructure to support electric vehicles. Do you see this infrastructure increasing at a fast enough rate for your prediction to come true? Of course not. Do you know why? Because no one but a very small percentage of people (less than 20%) that believe in a fantasy theory want it to happen. So you had better pray that governments continue to interfere with capitalism and force it because without that it won’t happen. I’m sure you do.
Think again.....

Jaguar will be EV-only from 2025 onward

Bentley will sell EVs entirely by 2030.

Cadillac will go all-electric in 2030

Lotus launches the Emira this summer, which will replace its current sports car lineup. It will be the brand's last combustion vehicle.

BMW will convert Mini to a full-electric brand by 2030. That timeline would see Mini launch its last combustion vehicle in 2025

Volvo plans to go fully electric and move to online sales by 2030
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #241
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
You can charge at a Tesla supercharger to 80% battery in 25mins
Not everyone lives in California or by a major area that has them, and even then everyone knows about them now and I’ve heard of cases of people straight up unplugging yours and charging theirs if you’re not by yours. In general the infrastructure is nowhere near ready enough for mass use / road trips outside the major areas. In general owning an electric only vehicle sounds like a PITA unless you have a backup ICE one. Imaging forgetting to charge it one night and not being able to run and get groceries in the morning - gotta wait 4 hours for a 5% charge at home
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25029.50
      08-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #242
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
I would say it's the other way around... there is a significant percentage of people who absolutely don't care if it's an ICE vehicle or not...
Appreciate 0