BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #45
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CklSpeciale View Post
I think mercedes knows their customers better. For all the car euthusiasts who complian about the 4 cylinders are actually not the potential customers of a C63. I don't think the current V8 makes it fun to drive, and most people who go with C63 because they want a luxury sedan which can smoke other cars on the freeway and win a traffic light race. I am pretty sure the 4 cylinder will do it.
One reason I've heard is that AMG is a victim of its own success. Due to the underwhelming and slow launch of their EV models , Daimler fleet emissions is well into steep EU fines territory. Easiest band aid right now is to make it's best selling "real AMG" greener ...

But not sure I buy that , BMW is no better with electric cars and here we are with the G8X , no doubt the last combustion engine car in its class.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #46
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

I'll easily take the c63s here. AMG is going to whore the sht outta their F1 success to sell the next gen hybrid.

BMW M lost the plot with the G8X. It's a Biermann 2.0 without the Biermann. He would've never co-signed a heavier, ZF auto dulled successor pig snout or no pig snout.
Germanauto9702.50
MDuckie93.00
      03-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #47
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
I'll easily take the c63s here. AMG is going to whore the sht outta their F1 success to sell the next gen hybrid.

BMW M lost the plot with the G8X. It's a Biermann 2.0 without the Biermann. He would've never co-signed a heavier, ZF auto dulled successor pig snout or no pig snout.
Says he's getting a new C63s but complains about the G8X being heavy with an auto. Enjoy the 4500lb 2.0 auto hybrid Mercedes, bet it will sound great
EXE462100.00
MineralM251.00
Germanauto9702.50
Puuhapete145.00
      03-11-2021, 08:09 PM   #48
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

The G80C from 3000 - 5500 is simply a weapon.... I fully believe that people that want the standard and a row box instead of the Competition and the additional 100 bl-ft torque will be amazed at the difference. They will be having to catch a couple of extra gears instead of carving out a few extra tenths... The G8C is a Grand Touring Weapon.... simply amazing for stock.
Appreciate 1
Jcali861479.00
      03-11-2021, 08:18 PM   #49
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmmM2 View Post
I want to see how badly Benz fails with a 4 cylinder C63S.
I think mercedes knows their customers better. For all the car euthusiasts who complian about the 4 cylinders are actually not the potential customers of a C63. I don't think the current V8 makes it fun to drive, and most people who go with C63 because they want a luxury sedan which can smoke other cars on the freeway and win a traffic light race. I am pretty sure the 4 cylinder will do it.
Sure lots of people buy cars without knowing the engine underneath, but I believe that drops off fast in the 70k+ starting price range. You can make a great performing car with only 4 cylinders, but for me, and I believe many, the pull from a 6cylinder is just necessary in the heavier cars that exist today
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #50
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post

LOL being someone with no historical or emotional baggage with any of these cars, it's not hard to see that G8X will easily be the lightest car in its class by a mile. Next C63e or whatever they call it will be 4500lb PHEV , as would the new RS5 with the likely Panamera 4S Hybrid powertrain.

And not sure how much F1 tech they can jam in here and keeping the price point. Most impressive rumor I've heard right now is the e-turbo tech to eliminate lag.

I think your best hope is for BMW to license S58 engine to Toyota to make that Supra GRMN rumor come true. Or spend 1.5x more for a 911
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      03-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #51
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RDSECTOR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
You could hold out for the 4 cylinder version 🤣
Ummm, let me just, uhhh....NO!!!!
4 Cylinder or not it's going to have 650 HP+. The AMG 4 Cylinder motors generate 400 HP+, with the electric motors generating 200 HP+ you are looking at a rocket ship. Mercedes didn't spend 10 years in F1 perfecting hybrid powertrains for nothing.
They should rename it. Blasphemy still being named after a 6.3 V8 when it's basically just a Prius now with a lot of bhp.
It will have a sub 7:30 Nürburgring time...but yea it's basically a Prius.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      03-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #52
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

I have no doubt the next C63 4cyl Hybrid will be a monster. It will destroy the current G8X in a straight line and around a track.

However the big question is the fun factor, handling and the lack of emotional connection you get from the powertrain. 4 cylinders sound terrible when pushed hard.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      03-11-2021, 09:01 PM   #53
Lighting.Grey
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M // E53 X5 4.8is

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5  [0.00]
To be honest, I don't like these two guys reviews.
Appreciate 1
GranitM5366.00
      03-11-2021, 09:12 PM   #54
R0ut3r
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 Lamborghini Urus, 2021 Fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by killhour View Post
I genuinely think the AWD will be sub 3.4.

The RS5 absolutely crushes the M4 from a dig, which means that advertised 3.9 time is complete rubbish (and Carwow did an instrumented test where it did 3.9 in the soaking wet). Add to that my anecdotal experience of test driving one yesterday, where the entirety of the experience was "meh" EXCEPT for the launch, which took me by surprise and actually knocked the wind out of me. That RS5 is in the 3.5-3.6 range for sure.

However, the M4 beats it from a roll, no contest. So if the xDrive hooks up the same as the Quattro system (big if), there's absolutely no way this thing doesn't pull close to M5's advertised numbers in the 0-60. Completely insane.

Edit: C&D tested the RS5 at 3.5 to 60. I'm betting the M4 xDrive will do it in 3.3. Seriously.
If a stock X4MC consistently does under 3.6, how could the M4C not do 3.4 or less?
Montreal, Canada
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #55
DL335D
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
Do people seriously buy cars based on 0-60 and youtube drag race results?
Not me. I could care less anymore. I owned an F80 ZCP for 4 yrs and yes, it was fast, but I never connected with that car. Anything sub 4.5 is plenty fast enough IMO. My e92 is just about perfect with its v8 screaming from 6,000-8,500. I can wind it out in second and not worry about going to jail.
Appreciate 1
330iToy71.00
      03-11-2021, 09:22 PM   #56
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
I have no doubt the next C63 4cyl Hybrid will be a monster. It will destroy the current G8X in a straight line and around a track.

However the big question is the fun factor, handling and the lack of emotional connection you get from the powertrain. 4 cylinders sound terrible when pushed hard.
Agreed losing that v8 roar is absolutely a negative for them...this zf8 gearbox that some people are seeing as a negative will actually be a positive for the many g8x owners that may not ever track their cars. Not to mention what not reusing the m5 awd/zf8 platform wouldve done to the msrp
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:27 PM   #57
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
One reason I've heard is that AMG is a victim of its own success. Due to the underwhelming and slow launch of their EV models , Daimler fleet emissions is well into steep EU fines territory. Easiest band aid right now is to make it's best selling "real AMG" greener ...

But not sure I buy that , BMW is no better with electric cars and here we are with the G8X , no doubt the last combustion engine car in its class.
Overanalyzing. BMW and Mercedes just have their own roadmaps on how they want to roll out EV's and has little to do with how people view each brands EV efforts.

If anything, the argument can be made that BMW look like they're behind. Mercedes taking whatever R&D from F1 signals that they have a legitimate hybrid powertrain to power not just a Mercedes, but a AMG. It's one step leaving ICE and moving toward EVs.

All BMW has is Formula E which they have already announced they are leaving so while Mercedes has already made the first step, we don't know what BMW is going to do with the future of BMW M. Optics show that Mercedes could already be one step/one generation ahead with the upcoming C63.

This is already shaping up to be the most controversial generation of this class. Can't wait to see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #58
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Sort of suspicious how fast that RS5 was. I can't imagine that it would come close to the M4 let alone the C63S when it comes to the rolling race.
For example here Skip to 2:44
Maybe that RS5 was tuned?
      03-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #59
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Sure lots of people buy cars without knowing the engine underneath, but I believe that drops off fast in the 70k+ starting price range. You can make a great performing car with only 4 cylinders, but for me, and I believe many, the pull from a 6cylinder is just necessary in the heavier cars that exist today
You don't need the pull of 6 cylinders when you have 700+ TQ available.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #60
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Overanalyzing. BMW and Mercedes just have their own roadmaps on how they want to roll out EV's and has little to do with how people view each brands EV efforts.

If anything, the argument can be made that BMW look like they're behind. Mercedes taking whatever R&D from F1 signals that they have a legitimate hybrid powertrain to power not just a Mercedes, but a AMG. It's one step leaving ICE and moving toward EVs.

All BMW has is Formula E which they have already announced they are leaving so while Mercedes has already made the first step, we don't know what BMW is going to do with the future of BMW M. Optics show that Mercedes could already be one step/one generation ahead with the upcoming C63.

This is already shaping up to be the most controversial generation of this class. Can't wait to see what happens.
i like your take there ... AMG has electrified products ready to go between this new C63 and the GT73; both are due for imminent launch. VAG brands have a more comprehensive lineup from top to bottom, but other than that no one else is close to MB.

but its not how ppl view the efforts, the reality is outside VW group all incumbant automakers are behind in EV rollouts. Ppl can decide which one is worse: the wrong execution in i3/i8 or the half baked EQC/EQA. If anything I think BMW has one of the most compelling PHEV products out there with the x5 plug in lol
      03-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #61
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
i like your take there ... AMG has electrified products ready to go between this new C63 and the GT73; both are due for imminent launch. VAG brands have a more comprehensive lineup from top to bottom, but other than that no one else is close to MB.

but its not how ppl view the efforts, the reality is outside VW group all incumbant automakers are behind in EV rollouts. Ppl can decide which one is worse: the wrong execution in i3/i8 or the half baked EQC/EQA. If anything I think BMW has one of the most compelling PHEV products out there with the x5 plug in lol
You can say that everyone not named Tesla is behind but it doesn't necessarily spell out doom for those manufacturers because they're all in the same position. Once one legacy manufacturer comes out with one, the rest are going to follow.

All manufacturers are aware of the timelines and mandates in their respected region to switch over to EV's. These billion dollar companies aren't stupid. As long as there is money to be made with ICE and as long as there is the issue of electric/charging infrastructure, the legacy manufacturers are going to slow play this until the very end. Maybe this is BMW's play with the current M3/M4? Maybe they're already deep into a hybrid or full EV powertrain for the next-gen M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #62
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The core M3 has more torque than the AMG Mercedes even with its electric motor. So my money is on the M. And AMG to never use a 4 cylinder in a future AMG C63 again. But we shall see
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #63
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
Do people seriously buy cars based on 0-60 and youtube drag race results?
At this stage in life + COVID, yeah, like 96.5% of my buying decision was made based on reviews/experiences from this forum and youtube videos. I never even test drove a $100K car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:57 PM   #64
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Why did Chris Harris say in his M4 review that the Mercedes is 4 cylinder, why is everyone saying that? Its a V8 right?
The current W205 C63 AMG has a V8, the next W206 C63 AMG (or whatever they decide to call it) has been confirmed by the head of AMG to have a 4 cylinder hybrid powertrain.

Quote:
My shop works on a ton of AMGs, I've asked about 40 AMG owners if they'd consider replacing their cars with a 4 cylinder hybrid and 0 of them have said yes so far. We'll see how the real car turns out but it seems to me that the V8 engine has always been the absolute #1 draw of any AMG vehicle when I talk to the people who actually buy them and suffer through the enormous cost to maintain and repair them.

I believe BMW M is positioned the best out of the German 3 to transition into alternative powertrains, their unique selling point centers around great handling which has been consistently good whether the cars have had inline 4s, inline 6s, V8s, V10s, twin turbo inline 6s, etc. so it seems likely that even a hybrid or full EV future M car can still appeal to a lot of the current fanbase. AMG owners pretty much all buy the car solely because it sounds like a V8. Even when they call me to modify their cars, they never ask how to improve handling or do anything besides add more power or make the V8 louder. This is not a criticism of AMG owners, I fucking love AMGs, but I really will be shocked if the W206 C63 AMG sells even 1/3 as many units as the G8x M3/M4 in this upcoming generation.

Last edited by Remonster; 03-11-2021 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:00 PM   #65
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The core M3 has more torque than the AMG Mercedes even with its electric motor. So my money is on the M. And AMG to never use a 4 cylinder in a future AMG C63 again. But we shall see
The current C63 doesn't have a hybrid system. The up coming one will and it will definitely have significantly more TQ than the G80.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #66
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM-3 View Post
Sometimes we do.

Though I find it overwhelmingly difficult to believe that a stock RS5 beats a c63s from a roll, if both are in peak powerband.
There are so many factors involved (e.g., driver, gear ratio) that it's basically meaningless. It's purely for entertainment purposes, but people take it way too seriously. Only thing that is true is RS5 and C63S drive very differently and that's not captured in these races.
Appreciate 0