BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

09-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 Ford Bronco, 2022 M4

2022 XDrive M4 versus RS5

Surprised I haven't seen more of this on here, but here's my dilemma on the two cars --- pros and cons (for me anyway). Caveat is that I've only driven the M4 and it was a 2wd 6 speed...but I've sat in both and watched pretty much every review video out there. I always take the review videos with a grain of salt because what's important for some isn't generally important to all (like .2 seconds faster to 60mph). That being said, I do plan to take the opportunity to learn to drive on the track (with a class) and purchase the Garmin training unit. Anyway, here's my thoughts right now, in order of importance (again, to me, and I'm sure I've forgotten some important ones):

M4
Pros:
- Faster, better overall performance, more track-focused car
- My spec is actually cheaper than the RS5 spec (by a few k)
- Better interior electronics
- more configurable performance
- cooled seats is an option
- much roomier rear seat
- .9% financing for 5 years

Cons:
- Exterior. I find the Audi much more attractive, and more stealth. The BMW looks really good in-person, including the front-end, but it's nowhere near as good looking to me.
- Will be much more common versus the RS5 (eventually).
- I prefer the RS5 interior overall, even with the ipad looking center screen.

RS5
Pros:
- Styling. this is the biggest for me...I just love the way the car looks, especially in Turbo Blue (see below). Just looks incredibly sexy, inside and out (except for the center screen).
- Likely a better daily driver. BMW definitely seems to be more performance-focused, less comfort-focused. That being said, I previously had an E93 M3. Didn't love everything about it, but I was very ok with it's "rawness". Then again, I didn't daily drive it.
- less common (or at least will be once the BMW's all get out on the street eventually).
- Can add a tune and get performance likely on par with the BMW or at least close to it.

Cons:
- actually slightly more expensive than a similarly equipped M4
- cramped rear seat (not a big one as it won't get used much, but the M4 rear seat is surprisingly roomy)
- less performance tuning configurable options come standard
- No .9% financing
- Center screen looks like an afterthought
- no cooled seats (wtf?)

Truth is that everything pretty much points towards the BMW with the exception of styling...but the styling is huge for me (heck, I love admiring my '74 Bronco in the garage and it has absolutely no performance on the street). Anyway, still thinking it all through, but I gotta say that this pic keeps pulling me back to the RS5 (even though the color is clearly not very stealth)...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I love the RS5 in Suzuka or Nardo, but the performance just isnt there for me. Its fast, but theyve had alot of trouble tuning these cars. The RS3 is where its at for tuning on these cars. Before Youtuber "Officially Gassed" got his 911 991, he had tuned his, and it was ok. He had some over heating problems, and the typical growing pains that come with a new platform, but unlocking the ECU/DME was the biggiest issue. If youre leaving it stock, it really doesnt matter, but for tuning its gott to be the G8X, all the way.

Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      09-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, and you are 100% right. At the same time, I can't stop staring at the Turbo Blue RS5. The only reason to take it over the M4 is the way it makes my heart beat when I look at that pic, lol.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13023.00
      09-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #4
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy floyd View Post
Thanks, and you are 100% right. At the same time, I can't stop staring at the Turbo Blue RS5. The only reason to take it over the M4 is the way it makes my heart beat when I look at that pic, lol.
Looks like you answered your own question
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:43 AM   #5
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy floyd View Post
Well, this is your calling, then.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #6
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

I was close to getting an RS5 2+ years ago (sportback) but decided two wait a year or so for the G80 M3 to come out... It ended up being 2+ years specially that I want AWD but I'm so happy I waited. The RS5 is a very nice car but in my opinion it doesn't have the character of a BMW which is what most of us BMW fanboys expect. And of course there's the killer performance of the G8x

I noticed you're listing "cooled seats" as an advantage for the BMW. Keep in mind those are only ventilated seats (not really cooled) and I've heard mixed reviews on their effectiveness. I specc'd them in my car because I think they'll help but I don't expect them to be a game changer...

It appears the RS5 will work well for you but I strongly recommend you take one out for a test drive.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #7
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

OP have you owned a later model Audi? If not I would drive one first. They are more jack of all trades car than exciting to drive cars. If you are okay with that it sounds like your heart is telling you to go with the RS5.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
OP have you owned a later model Audi? If not I would drive one first. They are more jack of all trades car than exciting to drive cars. If you are okay with that it sounds like your heart is telling you to go with the RS5.
Great point, I have not. I was surprised they let me drive the M4, test drives are hard to come by these days.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I recently test drove an RS5. It may make your heart beat faster when you look at it.... but it nearly put me to sleep when I drove it. My m340i is more exciting to drive. Looks are important to me as well... but I can't go on looks alone. I need some excitement behind the wheel.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #10
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Okay, let's be real here. How often are you planning on tracking these near 4K lbs. cars? If it's something you want to do from time to time, like once a year, then that's something. If you're planning on doing a 50/50 track & DD car, I would stay away from both as that get's very expensive (think consumables).
If you're looking at tracking once a year and 99% of the time the car is your daily, then go with your gut and get the RS5. It sounds like you are enamored by it and are looking for excuses to like the BMW more. The M3 will outperform the RS5 by every metric, but that hardly matters when you're simply driving the car. That blue looks dope, go buy it and enjoy.
      09-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #11
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Okay, let's be real here. How often are you planning on tracking these near 4K lbs. cars? If it's something you want to do from time to time, like once a year, then that's something. If you're planning on doing a 50/50 track & DD car, I would stay away from both as that get's very expensive (think consumables).
If you're looking at tracking once a year and 99% of the time the car is your daily, then go with your gut and get the RS5. It sounds like you are enamored by it and are looking for excuses to like the BMW more. The M3 will outperform the RS5 by every metric, but that hardly matters when you're simply driving the car. That blue looks dope, go buy it and enjoy.
I agree. Seems like you are on the RS-5. It's a beautiful car. Just get that do some bolt-ons and tune it. You.will be as fast as a stock Gx in a straight line
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #12
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
What should be the weight limit for cars that are tracked? And how often should we track for a specific weight?

And Edmunds weighed the M4 Comp at 377x lbs.

Last edited by McLaren720s; 09-07-2021 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 05:18 PM   #13
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

RS5 is way too boring and looks way too much like an S5 to me. I don't care for the design language at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #14
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
What should be the weight limit for cars that are tracked? And how often should we track for a specific weight?

As light as possible really. You'll be spending less on tires, brakes, a lighter car will run cooler (given two identical cars) so you can run longer, etc.
Ideally, if you're looking at a track car, 3K lbs. is a good figure in my book. Then again, I'm not like a wealthy guy that can throw money at a track car, that's like a whole other conversation.

I looked at the Edmunds website https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m4/2021/features-specs/
and saw a weight of 3830 for a manual M4. I'm guessing in X-Drive Comp spec, its going to be a 4K lbs. car.
      09-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #15
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Great points and thank you! So a few things on this...yes, I really do like the "stealth-like" looks of the RS5 especially in the Turbo Blue that's actually not all that stealthy. The funny thing is that every time I go to see an M4, I actually love it's looks as well (well, maybe not the front end so much, but I still don't mind it). For whatever reason, it's a car that looks much better in person than on video or with pics. It's even true with the colors, when I see them on-line, I think "why did BMW do all these crazy colors?" But then I see them in-person and they look much better. Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to see my preferred spec (skyscraper grey over fiona red), or my 2nd (aventurin (sp?) red over Fiona. Showed my wife a pic of the grey, she was not impressed...again, hasn't seen it in person. They are of course hard to find, most are pre-ordered and I have to get to a dealer before the new owner picks it up (I literally drive through the storage lot of my local dealer every time one comes in).

In terms of track days, I live less than an hour from Sonoma Raceway, and would love to make it a once a month type of thing, they also have drag races on Wednesdays. I'm honestly not looking to break any records, but just though it would be a fun endeavor that my 16 year old boy will get a real kick to join with me (so my track times aren't super important). I showed him the Garmin track recorder tool, we both thought it would be awesomely great to get to understand driving dynamics better. I'm teaching him to drive right now, and he's a long way from needing to know braking, apexes, etc...but I'm trying to get him to understand driving dynamics as we go through this process.

I'm actually still leaning towards the BMW. Lower price, better performance, roomier cabin, and the .9% financing right now is actually really compelling. Truthfully, I'll never put either of these cars up against their full performance potential, but I actually enjoy the decision-making process and going back and forth on the options. Greatly appreciate the thoughtful input and feedback from everyone!
Appreciate 2
Bumpinjeep5363.50
MMiami27.00
      09-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #16
MMiami
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 xDrive

I used to own an E90(turned out to be a lemon) and now own a previous generation RS5. I believe that the Audi RS5 especially in Misano Red was one of the most beautiful cars released at that price range. The car is complemented a lot and is just beautiful to look at. Unfortunately, after nine years of owning it, this just has not been enough. The car is extremely capable and even the most novice driver can drive it to the extreme, but it lacks that connection to the road that BMW gives its drivers. Mine has a NA 4.2L which is really the highlight of the car, the rest of the driving experience is a bit dull when compared to the M. If you are only into looks and rarity I would, without a doubt choose the RS. I actually have placed an order for a G80, since realized that to me, looks are secondary when it come to cars. I’d rather have an engaging car that will put a smile on my face, than one that is beautiful to look at. I do believe the G80 looks nice, but in my view, the RS would win the beauty contest. Hope this helps!

Last edited by MMiami; 09-07-2021 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2021, 07:38 AM   #17
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post

As light as possible really. You'll be spending less on tires, brakes, a lighter car will run cooler (given two identical cars) so you can run longer, etc.
Ideally, if you're looking at a track car, 3K lbs. is a good figure in my book. Then again, I'm not like a wealthy guy that can throw money at a track car, that's like a whole other conversation.

I looked at the Edmunds website https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m4/2021/features-specs/
and saw a weight of 3830 for a manual M4. I'm guessing in X-Drive Comp spec, its going to be a 4K lbs. car.
BMW doesn't make "track cars" and everyone has a different definition of what a "track car" is. The OP never said he's looking for a "track car".
And the idea that a car should be close to 3k lbs to be fast, fun and enjoyable is ridiculous at best. That would disqualify 99% of the cars that you can buy.
Because otherwise you'd spend more on consumables? Just track within your budged.
      09-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #18
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
this is a good comparison, I think performance oriented people take the BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 10:32 PM   #19
will0621
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5c, 20 X3MC, 20 X5 40i

Saw the front of a black 4 door Audi today and I could not tell if it was a S5 or RS5 from the front. Turned out it was a regular A5 with some shadow line trim (S line?). At least with bmw you can tell between the Ms and non Ms, to me there’s nothing special about the RSs other than the engine, sans the R8.

I will admit the A5 I saw looked better than a 330i lol

Last edited by will0621; 09-09-2021 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 11:03 PM   #20
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=will0621;28017718]Saw the front of a black 4 door Audi today and I could not tell if it was a S5 or RS5 from the front. Turned out it was a regular A5 with some shadow line trim (S line?). At least with bmw you can tell between the Ms and non Ms, to me there’s nothing special about the RSs other than the engine, sans the R8.

"Oh, the Audi's gone!!!

Some people actually prefer to lay low, and would actually prefer to not have to show off. Crazy, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 11:08 PM   #21
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
this is a good comparison, I think performance oriented people take the BMW
Yes, agreed.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #22
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Let me know if you need any advice, been enjoying mine since April, when I had to cancel my xdrive G80 order and pick a car up after mine was totaled 👍🏻
Attached Images