BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-26-2024, 04:24 PM   #1
Nikkz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340ix

Garage List
  [0.00]
I took it to the body shop but no one seems to correct the fitment fully. Mainly on the right side
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 05:22 PM   #2
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Under the hood where it meets the front bumper there is a plastic shroud held in with push pins, remove that and then there's like 8 torx bolts. You can probably loosen those, get the bumper where you want it, then tighten them down. That or your hood might need to be adjusted. Nothing its perfect though, including panel gaps.
forcefed2562.50
      03-26-2024, 05:52 PM   #3
Vernmeister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru wrx - M3 awaiting produ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCoyote View Post
Under the hood where it meets the front bumper there is a plastic shroud held in with push pins, remove that and then there's like 8 torx bolts. You can probably loosen those, get the bumper where you want it, then tighten them down. That or your hood might need to be adjusted. Nothing its perfect though, including panel gaps.
This - I replaced my grill with a vorsteiner grill a couple weeks ago- when I put bumper back on I had to adjust fitment to make gap look ok. If you remove the shroud on the front and loosen bolts you can adjust it and tighten back down.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 07:35 PM   #4
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Check your bump stops for the hood. There’s one directly above the headlight on each side. Check the passenger one on how many turns it’s in and compare that to the driver side. Either lower (screw in) your driver side one or raise (unscrew) your passenger one. Driver side one looks a tad high but your passenger may also be too low. Play with them. They should both touch and have a little contact, but not press so much against the underside of the hood that it makes pulling your hood latch hard. There should be no resistance on that. If you have to pull harder, then you’ve backed them off too much and they’re pressing upwards on the hood too much.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 11:13 AM   #5
Nikkz
Private
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Right side is longer than the left side. I have to unscrew to twist correct? I had 340 before and it wasnt screwed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 11:44 AM   #6
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

No, not that. The rubber knobs behind the headlights pointing up. Let me see if I can dig up a pic. It’s not on the hood, it’s on the body.

Not posting a pic… it’s the rubber nub looking thing right under the VIN plate on the passenger side. There’s one on the driver side too. You can’t miss it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 08:43 AM   #7
Schulminator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 SSG G80 Xdrive

Try the rubber bump stop 1st. I had to also loosen the bolt noted above and turn the U-shaped bracket in a bit for mine to sit flush with the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 10:45 PM   #8
Nikkz
Private
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schulminator View Post
Try the rubber bump stop 1st. I had to also loosen the bolt noted above and turn the U-shaped bracket in a bit for mine to sit flush with the bumper.
Did you adjust the latches?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 11:07 AM   #9
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

There is a specific procedure for this. The bump stops are not meant to be used to set the hood close height, the height is set by the 2 latches on the hood and then the bump stops should be adjusted to support the hood at that height. To do this you turn the bump stops all the way down and pull up the little center nub pieces so they are fully extended. Close the hood fully which will depress the nubs down to the proper position, then open it again and screw the bump stops out until they are flush with the center nubs.

The spec for the hood height is measured in the gap at the top center of the headlights , I’d have to look it up exactly but it’s something like 4-7mm.

Once the hood height is properly set then you adjust the front bumper position to create an equal gap across the length of the hood. Lastly, there is an adjustment that raises and lowers the end points of the bumper where it meets the hood over the headlights , you can adjust the left and right independently to get the correct vertical alignment at each side.

One other tip, especially if you have already previously messed with the bumper , is to loosen the bumper adjustment bolts and pull it all the way forward before you start adjusting the hood height, so that you don’t accidentally close the hood into the bumper if the hood is set too low or the bumper was previously set too close, it’s pretty easy to do this and it will scratch the edge of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 12:34 PM   #10
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

^^^^ There is no center latch. There’s two on these cars, one on either side. There’s a good chance the driver side bumpstop is just set too high by a little bit and pressing up on the hood every so slightly. I feel like this problem could have been solved like last week in 5 min. Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 12:39 PM   #11
Nikkz
Private
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
^^^^ There is no center latch. There’s two on these cars, one on either side. There’s a good chance the driver side bumpstop is just set too high by a little bit and pressing up on the hood every so slightly. I feel like this problem could have been solved like last week in 5 min. Lol
Bump stop was at the lowest
Appreciate 1
chris3g1568.50
      03-31-2024, 12:55 PM   #12
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkz View Post
Bump stop was at the lowest
Are you able to push down on the driver side and close the gap to get it to look how you want? If not, then it may have been an issue introduced when you or your shop took the front apart to do your carbon bits or wrap or whatever. If you had a wrap done too, there’s also the chance they took your hood off and if so, that’ll also throw the alignment off a tiny bit. Check the mount points and screws on the hinges and see if they have been moved or repositioned from the factory marks that can sometimes be easily seen. All else fails you’re looking at either messing with taking the front loose and reseating and buttoning everything back down or just deal with it. There’s also the other option of possibly raising the passenger bumpstop a tiny bit to level it out, but that’s your call. Some things won’t ever be perfect… trust me I know your pain. Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 01:15 PM   #13
Nikkz
Private
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Are you able to push down on the driver side and close the gap to get it to look how you want? If not, then it may have been an issue introduced when you or your shop took the front apart to do your carbon bits or wrap or whatever. If you had a wrap done too, there’s also the chance they took your hood off and if so, that’ll also throw the alignment off a tiny bit. Check the mount points and screws on the hinges and see if they have been moved or repositioned from the factory marks that can sometimes be easily seen. All else fails you’re looking at either messing with taking the front loose and reseating and buttoning everything back down or just deal with it. There’s also the other option of possibly raising the passenger bumpstop a tiny bit to level it out, but that’s your call. Some things won’t ever be perfect… trust me I know your pain. Lol
Best I could do. I think its better
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 01:28 PM   #14
Nikkz
Private
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
These latches arent even so that might be a problem. How do I twist them?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 03:45 PM   #15
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Counter clockwise on the nut on the driver side to pull it in a little. Don’t go crazy turning it. Lol

You could measure each one and see how far in you need to go, doesn’t look like much.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 03:52 PM   #16
Nikkz
Private
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Counter clockwise on the nut on the driver side to pull it in a little. Don’t go crazy turning it. Lol

You could measure each one and see how far in you need to go, doesn’t look like much.
Yeah its needs minor adjustment. Right side is slightly longer
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 06:51 AM   #17
Schulminator
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkz View Post
Did you adjust the latches?
Yes just the D/S where the hood was slightly higher. Only did like an 1/8 of a turn to get it sitting flush with the top of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 08:03 AM   #18
Nikkz
Private
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schulminator View Post
Yes just the D/S where the hood was slightly higher. Only did like an 1/8 of a turn to get it sitting flush with the top of the bumper.
I adjusted the latches slightly and this is the result. If I shorten the latche on the right side even more, hood wont close
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 08:07 AM   #19
Schulminator
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yep same here, don't want to adjust it too much. Looks pretty good from you pic.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 08:12 AM   #20
Nikkz
Private
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Definately an improvement. I ll try to push in the right side of the bumper later today to see if it changes anything
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 05:52 AM   #21
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

I’ve got the same issue on my car (out by a couple of mm) but it’s going in for its 1,200 mile RIS on Tuesday next week, so I’ve asked them to sort it out while it’s in
Appreciate 0