BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-17-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

New BMW App and Remote Starting the G80

So since BMW deactivated the older app and have forced the new app on us I am I’m able to remote start my G80. The app says it sends the signal and sometimes I hear a clicking noise in the car but it won’t start. I the old app remote started the car fine. Anyone else having this challenge? This feature is very important to me because it’s hot in Florida and it’s great to start the car 10 minutes before you get into it. BMW support is useless. They just put you on hold forever.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 05:37 AM   #2
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

I was about to start a similar thread - also regarding remote start. Ive subscribed to it from the connected drive store (and paid) but no message appears in the car and there is no remote start option available in the app or under the climate setting on iDrive.

Does anyone have this working as designed on G80/82?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 06:00 AM   #3
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khai Dow View Post
I was about to start a similar thread - also regarding remote start. Ive subscribed to it from the connected drive store (and paid) but no message appears in the car and there is no remote start option available in the app or under the climate setting on iDrive.

It’s my understanding you’re not supposed to have to pay for anything. This is supposed to be a normal functioning part of the car just like every other high-end car I’ve owned for the last six years. Are you saying BMW expects you to pay money to remote start your G8X?

Honestly I don’t know why more people haven’t commented on this thread. At least letting us know their’s works or even if they don’t give a crap either way. Perhaps they can at least try to remote start their G8X and let us know.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 06:30 AM   #4
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:

It’s my understanding you’re not supposed to have to pay for anything. This is supposed to be a normal functioning part of the car just like every other high-end car I’ve owned for the last six years. Are you saying BMW expects you to pay money to remote start your G8X?

Honestly I don’t know why more people haven’t commented on this thread. At least letting us know their’s works or even if they don’t give a crap either way. Perhaps they can at least try to remote start their G8X and let us know.
Well, once I go into the MYBMW app, you can then get to your connected drive account. It shows you what you have subscribed for, and what you can purchase. Different countries include different subscription options and these include CarPlay, drive recorder etc. I had to pay a fee for drive recorder and the above mentioned remote start which doesn't work.

For example, see the pics below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #5
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, once I go into the MYBMW app, you can then get to your connected drive account. It shows you what you have subscribed for, and what you can purchase. Different countries include different subscription options and these include CarPlay, drive recorder etc. I had to pay a fee for drive recorder and the above mentioned remote start which doesn't work.

For example, see the pics below.
I’m sorry my friend. I didn’t see that you were in Asia. You’re right. Every country has different set ups. Even here in North America it’s different between Canada, United States and Mexico. I don’t know how BMW keeps up with it all.

All I know, and why I started this thread is the new app is not remote starting my car. I wish more people would read this and let us know if theirs work. Especially those in the United States.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 06:44 AM   #6
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m sorry my friend. I didn’t see that you were in Asia. You’re right. Every country has different set ups. Even here in North America it’s different between Canada, United States and Mexico. I don’t know how BMW keeps up with it all.

All I know, and why I started this thread is the new app is not remote starting my car. I wish more people would read this and let us know if theirs work. Especially those in the United States.
No problem - sorry for hijacking your thread!

I just found out from my dealer that they had no idea this function existed - go figure. When I picked up my M4 on Saturday I told them about the drive recorder which I subscribed to in my X7. They hadn’t seen that before either and took photos and videos of it working.

BMW Genius = Oxymoron…
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 06:47 AM   #7
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No problem - sorry for hijacking your thread!

I just found out from my dealer that they had no idea this function existed - go figure. When I picked up my M4 on Saturday I told them about the drive recorder which I subscribed to in my X7. They hadn’t seen that before either and took photos and videos of it working.

BMW Genius = Oxymoron…
You didn’t hijack it. You are contributing. Maybe someone from Asia will see your question and answer it. That would be awesome.

Genius at my local BMW is pretty good. He absolutely knows a lot about this car. However he did tell me to call BMW about this app problem. I have a nice long drive to Atlanta tomorrow so I guess I’ll just be on hold for an hour until someone from BMW gets with me that really doesn’t know what they’re doing. LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 07:48 PM   #8
MHOW996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 M4, 2022 Ford Bronco

I too am having the same problem. With Temps in the mid 90's, it sure would be nice for it to work. It did work prior to the update at the one time I tried it, so it may be in the coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M8

Have you guys checked that the remote start feature is turned on in the car itself. After the recent over the air update the feature was set back to disabled.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #10
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansr View Post
Have you guys checked that the remote start feature is turned on in the car itself. After the recent over the air update the feature was set back to disabled.
Where is that located? What screen menu? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #11
tsixtial
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansr View Post
I would agree before the update I was able to remote start my car but once I did the update it turned off that function so I had to manually activate it again.

Since then I found out about the APP and started to schedule/or start my car using the APP... so far i haven't had an issue.

Maybe uninstall and re-download the app?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 04:53 AM   #12
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

(Still in my G05 X5, but have had to re-enable Remote Engine Start after each of several software updates …)

1. Press ‘Menu’ button on HVAC panel, or from main Control Display menu select ‘Car’ then select ‘Settings’.
2. Select ‘Climate Comfort’.
3. Select ‘preconditioning / ventilation’.
4. Select (to activate) ‘Remote engine start’.

Remember to do this every time your iDrive OS7 BMW receives a software update. This function is (I think) the only one you need to reset in the vehicle after a software update — excluding aftermarket coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 05:26 AM   #13
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
(Still in my G05 X5, but have had to re-enable Remote Engine Start after each of several software updates …)

1. Press ‘Menu’ button on HVAC panel, or from main Control Display menu select ‘Car’ then select ‘Settings’.
2. Select ‘Climate Comfort’.
3. Select ‘preconditioning / ventilation’.
4. Select (to activate) ‘Remote engine start’.

Remember to do this every time your iDrive OS7 BMW receives a software update. This function is (I think) the only one you need to reset in the vehicle after a software update — excluding aftermarket coding.
I just figured that out last night. The new app is a little bit misleading because it makes you think you’re supposed to remote start it from one place but you’re really supposed to do it in another. Anyway I got it to work last night. Thank you so much for all your help. Of course I finally just successfully did the March software update in the car last night so maybe that had something to do with it also.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #14
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post

1. Press 'Menu' button on HVAC panel, or from main Control Display menu select 'Car' then select 'Settings'.
2. Select 'Climate Comfort'.
3. Select 'preconditioning / ventilation'.
4. Select (to activate) 'Remote engine start'.

I just figured that out last night. The new app is a little bit misleading because it makes you think you're supposed to remote start it from one place but you're really supposed to do it in another. Anyway I got it to work last night. Thank you so much for all your help. Of course I finally just successfully did the March software update in the car last night so maybe that had something to do with it also.
Yeah, I don't have the preconditioning option - only the ability to schedule ventilation. Car went back to the dealer and he sent me a screenshot that suggests the car knows it has the feature, but still needs to be enabled somehow. They will try to figure it out later this week. I did get a nice call from BMW telling me how sorry they were for my inconvenience…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #15
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Yeah, I don't have the preconditioning option - only the ability to schedule ventilation. Car went back to the dealer and he sent me a screenshot that suggests the car knows it has the feature, but still needs to be enabled somehow. They will try to figure it out later this week. I did get a nice call from BMW telling me how sorry they were for my inconvenience…
Did you just recently pay for it? If so force the car to search for an update in settings, then either leave it and go for a drive. Mine did a similar thing, where it was there under MyBMW but would not actually work. But doing this solved it.

However there seems to be a current issue with the software where if you command start with the app it will not attempt to start saying "conditions for remote start have not been met". If you do it with the key it will start every time however.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:10 AM   #16
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
Quote:
Did you just recently pay for it? If so force the car to search for an update in settings, then either leave it and go for a drive. Mine did a similar thing, where it was there under MyBMW but would not actually work. But doing this solved it.

However there seems to be a current issue with the software where if you command start with the app it will not attempt to start saying "conditions for remote start have not been met". If you do it with the key it will start every time however.
Yep, I just paid for it on the weekend so you may be right. It's now with the dealer so will have to wait and see what they say. We're back in lockdown so it's not like I can be driving much anyway :-(
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #17
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I just paid for it on the weekend so you may be right. It's now with the dealer so will have to wait and see what they say. We're back in lockdown so it's not like I can be driving much anyway :-(
You are back in lockdown?????????? What??? Where???? What country??
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #18
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You are back in lockdown?????????? What??? Where???? What country??
Yep, half of South East Asia is in some form of lockdown. Grocery runs and emergencies only…
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #19
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yep, half of South East Asia is in some form of lockdown. Grocery runs and emergencies only…
Crap. I’m really sorry. Covid it is something we’re going to have to deal with forever so I hope you guys aren’t in lockdown for the rest of your lives.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #20
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Crap. I'm really sorry. Covid it is something we're going to have to deal with forever so I hope you guys aren't in lockdown for the rest of your lives.
My car went back to the dealer for a couple of days. They did a force update the software - which took a few hours apparently. After I added the car back to the MYBMW app the fan icon changed and the remote start was working. I can now also start remotely with 3 clicks of the lock button. A few relevant pics below:

Ps. Not sure if that's the latest software version shown below. I'll check tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #21
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know how i can add remote start to my M3C?

I tried to search for updates and it said no updates are available at this time. I checked the app and there's no feature for a remote start, nor do i see "remote start" anywhere in the infotainment options.

Do i have to purchase it?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #22
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know how i can add remote start to my M3C?

I tried to search for updates and it said no updates are available at this time. I checked the app and there's no feature for a remote start, nor do i see "remote start" anywhere in the infotainment options.

Do i have to purchase it?
Have you tried clicking the lock button 3 times? Works on my M3C and I didn't do anything to enable it.
Appreciate 0