Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

12-06-2022, 12:23 PM   #551
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglilsteve View Post
I also got those closeout Blizzaks from Tire Rack. Bonus - they were sold as 2018 production but mine came with 2020 DOT labels.
That was such a great deal (now they are all out of stock) and I am kicking myself for not buying a set since my G87 won't be here until April and I won't be needing my winter setup until next fall. I should have just bought and stored them for next year
      12-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #552
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS21 View Post
I ordered the same setup and will post pics as soon as my M3 arrives at the dealer.

RF05RR. 19x9.5 ET25 5x112 CB 66.6. Also, 19x9.5 ET10 5x112 CB66.6 can be used with some tires (with the wrong tires, you can get some rubbing on the wheel well). According to one of the technicians, he says:

“With the +10 offset the 275/35R19 would be compatible however the tires would need to be something in a performance winter or southern European winter design as anything with a squared off Nordic style shoulder design has given us rubbing issues on the +10et. If you know your tire model I'd be happy to verify for you.”

I got the +10 with Blizzak LM32 from tire rack.

Yeah, the reason I got my setup was, one, the price, I really didn't want to spend a ton of money on the winter setup. I saved money on the 245's and the wheels are really nice, not cheap looking but without breaking the bank.

Second, the comment about rubbing, so, I really didnt want to mess around. And, again, its winter - snow and crap, so no big deal for me, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 01:41 PM   #553
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
Quote:
I also got those closeout Blizzaks from Tire Rack. Bonus - they were sold as 2018 production but mine came with 2020 DOT labels.
That was such a great deal (now they are all out of stock) and I am kicking myself for not buying a set since my G87 won't be here until April and I won't be needing my winter setup until next fall. I should have just bought and stored them for next year
I almost didn't get it myself. Waited maybe a month after first seeing it before giving in. Certainly glad I did!! These closeout deals always come around though. You'll catch the next one!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #554
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I almost didn't get it myself. Waited maybe a month after first seeing it before giving in. Certainly glad I did!! These closeout deals always come around though. You'll catch the next one!
They are available again, I just ordered them! Hopefully mine will also come with the 2020 manufacturing date...
      12-09-2022, 05:28 PM   #555
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
Quote:
They are available again, I just ordered them! Hopefully mine will also come with the 2020 manufacturing date...
Right on! They’ve got to be. Hopefully they’re FIFOing them.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2022, 08:09 AM   #556
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbjr View Post
Where did you find Alpin5s?
Check Costco, I went with a square 275/35/19 all around set up from them
      12-11-2022, 07:14 PM   #557
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
My Winter Setup

Not sure if this will help anyone out but I was in a bind to get a winter setup going here in MN last minute. I didn’t want to spend a bunch of money so here is what I ended up going with. The fitment is good but I don’t think I’ll be winning any awards for the stance. I know it looks super weak and I’ll be playing around with spacers in the years to come.

Car: M3 Comp xDrive Dravit/Silverstone
Setup: Squared
Wheels: VMR 801 19x9.5 ET35 (ET22 not available at the time)
Color: Anthracite (Bronze was a 4-5 week wait)
Tires: Blizzak LM-32 275/35R19
Spacers: Macht Schnell - 12mm all around
TPMS: TPMS.RDE077 from RG Sport
Center Caps: OEM caps from dealer

All in was ~$2000 and I think it’s pretty decent for a winter setup. If I had more time, I would have ordered the satin bronze finish with more offset but I’m happy with the performance and that’s what matters to me in the winter over the looks. I hope this helps someone looking for a winter setup!

As you can see from the pictures, I had a little too much fun today in the snow
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      12-11-2022, 07:24 PM   #558
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatThatLunchBaby View Post
Not sure if this will help anyone out but I was in a bind to get a winter setup going here in MN last minute. I didn’t want to spend a bunch of money so here is what I ended up going with. The fitment is good but I don’t think I’ll be winning any awards for the stance. I know it looks super weak and I’ll be playing around with spacers in the years to come.

Car: M3 Comp xDrive Dravit/Silverstone
Setup: Squared
Wheels: VMR 801 19x9.5 ET35 (ET22 not available at the time)
Color: Anthracite (Bronze was a 4-5 week wait)
Tires: Blizzak LM-32 275/35R19
Spacers: Macht Schnell - 12mm all around
TPMS: TPMS.RDE077 from RG Sport
Center Caps: OEM caps from dealer

All in was ~$2000 and I think it’s pretty decent for a winter setup. If I had more time, I would have ordered the satin bronze finish with more offset but I’m happy with the performance and that’s what matters to me in the winter over the looks. I hope this helps someone looking for a winter setup!

As you can see from the pictures, I had a little too much fun today in the snow
Looks great to me! I’m very interested in hearing your throughts on the Blizzak tires. Assuming those are the 2018 production closeout ones from Tire Rack? I bought those and they came in with 2020 DOT labels which was a pleasant surprise. Do you notice any squishiness with them since they aren’t XL rated? Noise?

I also picked up a set of VMRs (V710FF 19x9.5 ET22) during Black Friday. $275 a piece was too hard to pass up! Car is at port and hopefully makes its way here sometime in the next month.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Llarry16060.00
      12-11-2022, 09:30 PM   #559
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks great to me! I’m very interested in hearing your throughts on the Blizzak tires. Assuming those are the 2018 production closeout ones from Tire Rack? I bought those and they came in with 2020 DOT labels which was a pleasant surprise. Do you notice any squishiness with them since they aren’t XL rated? Noise?
Seconding this, EatThatLunchBaby please let us know how the LM-32 tires work for you both in the snow and in the dry.
      12-11-2022, 10:31 PM   #560
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I’ve had 3 sets of Blizzaks now and they are my favorite winter tire. The only other winter tire I’ve run is the Michelin X-Ice so I don’t have much to compare it to but I prefer it over those. I did get the close out 2018s but I haven’t noticed any issues so far (I’ll update if I do). Your 710s look awesome BTW! I was cross shopping those as well and I’m curious how you got the 50th anniversary caps to fit. My dealer only had the smaller caps for that style but maybe your 710s match up with the smaller center bore?
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2022, 03:24 AM   #561
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I’ve had 3 sets of Blizzaks now and they are my favorite winter tire. The only other winter tire I’ve run is the Michelin X-Ice so I don’t have much to compare it to but I prefer it over those. I did get the close out 2018s but I haven’t noticed any issues so far (I’ll update if I do). Your 710s look awesome BTW! I was cross shopping those as well and I’m curious how you got the 50th anniversary caps to fit. My dealer only had the smaller caps for that style but maybe your 710s match up with the smaller center bore?
Glad you haven’t seen any issues yet! Staying tuned. Thanks though I’m excited about the 710s. I ordered them through a dealer who has them drilled and shipped directly from VMR. They’re 66.6 center bore. I called VMR and asked them what size center caps fit this particular model. He advised standard 68mm BMW center caps will click right in. Ordered a set of genuine 50th anniversary caps from eBay for $29 and they do indeed click in perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:57 PM   #562
M3WTWO.G80
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoaddict View Post
Here is my set-up. I did buy my wheels from Wheelsco in Canada as I wanted a completed package ready to mount. I went with the narrower tire, 245/40's instead of the 275/35's. I also went with Michelin Ice/Snow. Yes, they do look narrow but they should do good in the snow/crud.

One question for you guys, what do you guys think of the mudflaps? It does look like a rally car due to the narrower tires and flaps, I did get ceramic coated and PPF'd, but I just wanted extra protection.

Attachment 3047981

Attachment 3047982

Attachment 3047983
I think this looks great for a winter setup.

I am supposed to take delivery of my new M3 later this month, which is much earlier than I originally anticipated so now I have to find a winter setup. I really like this package and had a few questions:

- Have you driven this in the snow yet and if so, how did it handle?
- How long did it take to receive the wheels after you ordered them (I am located in CT for reference)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 07:58 PM   #563
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight_G80 View Post
I think this looks great for a winter setup.

I am supposed to take delivery of my new M3 later this month, which is much earlier than I originally anticipated so now I have to find a winter setup. I really like this package and had a few questions:

- Have you driven this in the snow yet and if so, how did it handle?
- How long did it take to receive the wheels after you ordered them (I am located in CT for reference)
Thanks. I haven't driven it in the snow but I don't think it should be a problem, especially with Xdrive and the overall weight of the M3. I used to have a Mini Cooper S with Michelin Arctic snow tires and I literally went looking for snow drifts in that thing.

So, when I ordered the wheels/tire package, the retailer informed me that they had received alot of orders due to a recent snow storm and it was that time that people were buying these wheel/tire packages. But they informed, that I would get the package within 10 days, and I did. The wheels/tires were all properly packaged and protected. The wheels were ready to be mounted and the only change I had to make was to reduce the tire pressure in the tires from 40 psi to the factory values.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 05:47 AM   #564
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quick update on my setup…

I was noticing some slight road vibration on highway cruising along with a lot of pull one way or another. It was a windy day and it felt like I was driving my wife’s jeep. I took it into my dealer and they found out that the alignment was off. Unfortunately, because this is an aftermarket setup, they told me I voided my alignment warranty (this lasts 5000 miles I guess). The good news is that they said they can realign it for me for about $350. They assured me that I wouldn’t have to get an alignment done every time I swap from summer to winter tires but I don’t know enough about these cars yet to understand how that’s possible. I have a few questions that I could use help understanding:

Can they actually do a realignment that will work for both the OEM summer setup and my aftermarket winter setup?

When you mount/balance a new set of wheels/tires, shouldn’t you check the alignment before giving it back to the customer?

The more I’m sitting here thinking about it, the less sense it makes in my head and it’s causing me to lose trust in my dealer. Any help here would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 05:43 PM   #565
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

How is it still so hard to find a wheel/tire combo that comes mounted with TPMS? TireRack still only has 3 available wheels and they claim they can't mount/balance them because they don't have the TPMS yet....which is weird. The TPMS on my winter set for my M340 works on the G80. Fitment looks derpy though.

The only complete set I can find is the OEM 829M on getbmwparts, but while those look good, they are cast. That makes me a bit nervous for a winter set.

Are all of you guys who assembled your sets just not running TPMS or did you buy those separately and then pay a shop a few hundred to assemble and balance?

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:24 AM   #566
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Can they actually do a realignment that will work for both the OEM summer setup and my aftermarket winter setup?
An alignment has nothing to do with rims and tires, the dealer suggesting to you that you need an alignment after installing new rims in snake oil.
Most likely you new wheel setup isn't balanced properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #567
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
An alignment has nothing to do with rims and tires, the dealer suggesting to you that you need an alignment after installing new rims in snake oil.
Most likely you new wheel setup isn't balanced properly.
I did add 12mm spacers as well but that’s what I thought. This is my first time installing spacers so I wasn’t sure but how would my setup have gotten out of alignment after ~500 miles?

Overall I’m just confused and don’t really trust my local dealer anymore. I’ll have to research some more shops in my area but it’s just disappointing so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:46 AM   #568
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
How is it still so hard to find a wheel/tire combo that comes mounted with TPMS? TireRack still only has 3 available wheels and they claim they can't mount/balance them because they don't have the TPMS yet....which is weird. The TPMS on my winter set for my M340 works on the G80. Fitment looks derpy though.

The only complete set I can find is the OEM 829M on getbmwparts, but while those look good, they are cast. That makes me a bit nervous for a winter set.

Are all of you guys who assembled your sets just not running TPMS or did you buy those separately and then pay a shop a few hundred to assemble and balance?
I think you’re over complicating this a bit.

Just find a set of wheels with appropriate specs:
19x9.5
5x112
Offset around ET20 +/- 5mm or so
66.6 hub bore
Flow formed or better

Find tires in 275/35/19.

Buy TPMS - either OEM BMW or a set from TPMS d0t c0m.

Bonus points: get BMW center caps for wheels

Have a shop mount/balance them, which should be not much more than $100 total.

It’s really that simple.
Appreciate 3
      12-19-2022, 08:56 AM   #569
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I did add 12mm spacers as well but that’s what I thought. This is my first time installing spacers so I wasn’t sure but how would my setup have gotten out of alignment after ~500 miles?

Overall I’m just confused and don’t really trust my local dealer anymore. I’ll have to research some more shops in my area but it’s just disappointing so far.
Take the spacers off and see if the vibration is still there.
As for the alignment changing it could be as simple as hitting a pothole and one of the nuts on the suspension not being tight enough or the dealer just saying it's off or some newbie at the dealer not knowing how to set up the machine properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 02:21 PM   #570
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
So I just picked the car back up after sending it back for investigation into the steering wheel vibrations and pulls on the highway. Attached is the dealer documentation.

The original reason for the visit was a ceramic coat and they also recommend that they do the break in service at ~760 miles. They also looked into the wheel issue and ended up doing a rebalance and alignment.

Based on the paperwork I got back, I’m even more confused. It looks like they had to rebalance because the original balance was off? Is this how the alignment got off? Why am I paying for this out of pocket? Why are there notes on the alignment asking for the summer setup?

I was told that I just had to pay this and all was perfect on the car going forward. Overall, not a great experience so far, but at least I have an 84 month warranty on the interior leather and exterior ceramic coat!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 03:04 PM   #571
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

Quote:
I think you’re over complicating this a bit.

Just find a set of wheels with appropriate specs:
19x9.5
5x112
Offset around ET20 +/- 5mm or so
66.6 hub bore
Flow formed or better

Find tires in 275/35/19.

Buy TPMS - either OEM BMW or a set from TPMS d0t c0m.

Bonus points: get BMW center caps for wheels

Have a shop mount/balance them, which should be not much more than $100 total.

It’s really that simple.

Spent a few hours searching and ended up getting the 826M (black) 19's from getbmwparts and a set of Vredestein Wintrac Pro's from tirerack. TPMS from tpms dot com. All in was just under $4k, but glad I'll have OEM wheels that are forged.

The Vredestein's really get great reviews and are competitively priced.

Not sure why the 826M bi-colors are $300 more per wheel than the black.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 03:16 PM   #572
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
Spent a few hours searching and ended up getting the 826M (black) 19's from getbmwparts and a set of Vredestein Wintrac Pro's from tirerack. TPMS from tpms dot com. All in was just under $4k, but glad I'll have OEM wheels that are forged.

The Vredestein's really get great reviews and are competitively priced.

Not sure why the 826M bi-colors are $300 more per wheel than the black.
Which model TPMS did you get?
Appreciate 0