home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

10-26-2022, 07:07 PM   #485
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Just had pzero winters installed (BMW star tire).

Last edited by Forzanerazzurri; 10-27-2022 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 6
ando2002.00
CoonsA208.50
jummo543.50
      11-01-2022, 07:41 PM   #486
CoonsA
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 xDrive

Finally received and mounted the winters to the new 826s! Used the '92 Ranger to haul them over to Kevin @ Glosswerks in Lakemoor, IL for ceramic coating. I bought the 826s from another member here and was able to source staggered winter tires from CambioRoute in Italy (link below), they were great to work with. Really excited to have both 826s (gloss black) and 825s (bi-color), I think both wheels some of the best I've ever seen.

As for tires I went with Hankook Winter Icept Evo 3's as they were in-stock and a lot less expensive vs. Pirelli and Michelin. We'll see how the Hankook's do this season then reassess.

https://www.cambioruote.com

Here are some photos before I put them on for winter...
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      11-02-2022, 08:04 AM   #487
JS21
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey M3 Cx

I’ve done a bit of research on winter wheels/tire/TPMS setup. There are two options that I could find for wheels. APEX and Superspeed (a Canadian company).

APEX. Two wheels are available: VS-5RS or SM-10. Here is a guide on G8x M3/M4 figments. Scroll to the bottom for winter setup.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

Here is a link to their site for G8x wheels.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-b...g8x-m3-m4.html

SUPERSPEED wheels can be found at their website, or an aftermarket seller called Wheelsco. The wheels are RF05RR. 19x9.5 ET25 5x112 CB 66.6. Also, 19x9.5 ET10 5x112 CB66.6 can be used with some tires (with the wrong tires, you can get some rubbing on the wheel well). According to one of the technicians, he says:

“With the +10 offset the 275/35R19 would be compatible however the tires would need to be something in a performance winter or southern European winter design as anything with a squared off Nordic style shoulder design has given us rubbing issues on the +10et. If you know your tire model I'd be happy to verify for you.”

https://store.superspeedwheels.com/p...39511153868958

At wheelsco.ca, you can also buy Superspeed wheels. You can buy either the wheels alone, or a wheels/winter tire compatible setup. Here is the winter package setup. There are two options on tire size that they offer: 275/35R19 or 245/40R19. Note that there are winter wheels/tire packages for many other models in addition to the G8x.

For wheels alone, you can navigate to that part of the website.

https://wheelsco.ca/collections/bmw-...cts/bmwm3g80wp

TPMS
There are many places you can go for this. I bought mine at TPMS dot com. They claim that these are the same as the OEM.

https://*********/BMW-OEM-Schrader-T.../s8238-bmw.htm. (Note, there is a glitch and can’t get tpms dot com to appear in the this post. Just go to the site if interested)

Code Item
S8238-BMW BMW OEM Schrader TPMS Sensor 36106887147 433MHz
[Valve Stem Option (SCH):Black Metal Valve Stem]

As for the final product, I’m expecting my G80 to be delivered by the end of the month, so I can’t share the final result. Yet I put an order in the the Satin Bronze Superspeed RS05RR (ET10), 275/35R19 tires (Tire rack, there will fit the ET10), and the TPMS to fit on a Dravit Gray on Fiona Red G80 Cx. Can’t want to be driving it! Hope this helps.

Last edited by JS21; 11-03-2022 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 5
      11-02-2022, 08:33 AM   #488
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS21 View Post
//snip// ... a Dravit Gray on Fiona Red G80 Cx. Can’t want to be driving it!
Good post but I am looking forward to photos, preferrably with open door showing the Red & Dravit combo well. Should be awesome!
      11-02-2022, 09:28 AM   #489
jamabdi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
My point was that the PA5 tire on a RWD isn't going to cut it if you're in an area that sees extreme winter conditions, which is a lot of the northern half of the US. The DSC kicks on even with gentle acceleration on compacted snow on a flat road. They feel like an all-season tire and look very similar to the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

Comparing the tread pattern between the PA5 and CrossClimate 2, the PA5 looks like it would be the all season and CrossClimate like a serious winter tire.

With more time behind the wheel, the PA5 doesn't do well with ice or compacted snow. Cornering even at slow speeds, the car slides around more than it should. Braking performance is fine if you're comfortable with threshold braking, but it's very easy to lock up and have ABS kick in. Based on that, my opinion is that this tire behaves very similar to a winter-biased all season (or "all-weather" as they're called now).

"Performance winter" shouldn't exist as a tire category as it's a "Performance all-weather" tire instead.

Stick to the Nokians and Blizzaks for real winter performance tires, don't go out of your way trying to get the PA5s.
Coming from my previous AWD G37 with blizzaks which made me feel invincible even in the worst blizzard conditions to michelin pilot alpins on my m3, I definitely get what you mean. I honestly don't believe those who praise the snow traction of "performance" winter tires know just how superior dedicated studless winter tires are in traction, braking, and handling. For rwd cars "performance" winter tires definitely behave like all seasons more so than dedicated studless winters in the conditions we get in Minnesota. They are enough to get by but not enjoyable to drive on. The the only upside is dry pavement handling feels nearly as good as dedicated summer tires.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #490
JS21
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey M3 Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
Good post but I am looking forward to photos, preferrably with open door showing the Red & Dravit combo well. Should be awesome!
Thanks! Will definitely post!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 07:35 AM   #491
ryanb06
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoonsA View Post
Finally received and mounted the winters to the new 826s! Used the '92 Ranger to haul them over to Kevin @ Glosswerks in Lakemoor, IL for ceramic coating. I bought the 826s from another member here and was able to source staggered winter tires from CambioRoute in Italy (link below), they were great to work with. Really excited to have both 826s (gloss black) and 825s (bi-color), I think both wheels some of the best I've ever seen.

As for tires I went with Hankook Winter Icept Evo 3's as they were in-stock and a lot less expensive vs. Pirelli and Michelin. We'll see how the Hankook's do this season then reassess.

https://www.cambioruote.com

Here are some photos before I put them on for winter...
I wanted to buy the Hankooks in the approximately OEM sizing. I ended up going with Sottozero 3 in 275F 295R as I couldnt find the Hankook in anything but the 275 size; I've read good things about the Hankook on TyreReviews.
Appreciate 1
CoonsA208.50
      11-03-2022, 08:18 AM   #492
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamabdi View Post
Coming from my previous AWD G37 with blizzaks which made me feel invincible even in the worst blizzard conditions to michelin pilot alpins on my m3, I definitely get what you mean. I honestly don't believe those who praise the snow traction of "performance" winter tires know just how superior dedicated studless winter tires are in traction, braking, and handling. For rwd cars "performance" winter tires definitely behave like all seasons more so than dedicated studless winters in the conditions we get in Minnesota. They are enough to get by but not enjoyable to drive on. The the only upside is dry pavement handling feels nearly as good as dedicated summer tires.
Agree completely. Have had Blizzaks of one variant or another on my tuned 335d since I got it. For many years, that made this RWD torque monster the preferred bad weather vehicle over the two AWD SUVs in the stable that were both on All-seasons. When we replaced my wife's RX350 with a Q7, we got a second set of wheels with Blizzaks, and those combined with Quattro absolutely dominates pretty much anything Chicago winter can throw at us.

That said, since I'm now permanent WFH and will likely never have a commute again, I'm considering a compromise on the winter set for my upcoming G80, either going performance winter or even AS with above-average winter performance (for AS) like DWS06+. Since I'll rarely if ever HAVE to drive in poor conditions, it might be worth erring a bit towards preserving some level of performance for warmer, drier days.

Appreciate 3
YamaLink425.00
jamabdi185.50
kiw1617.00
      11-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #493
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Agreed/ditto. My SQ5 had Blizzaks on 19s (oem 21 summer), and it was a snowmobile in deeeep snow. My G82X doesn't see same winter usage so this week Michelin AS4 went on for the cold dry days and rain/slush, and I plan to keep them year round for non-track urban driving. Read about the tire lottery, and sure as heck, Michelins look better than my oem Pirellis.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2022, 08:01 PM   #494
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Running square 827ms and 275/35 19 PA5's. We got some decent snow this week and these tires performed well and the CSL wheels look awesome imo
2012 Audi A4 Avant - SOLD
Insta: mtn_m3cx
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2022, 08:15 PM   #495
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

[QUOTE=geko29;29509058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamabdi View Post
That said, since I'm now permanent WFH and will likely never have a commute again, I'm considering a compromise on the winter set for my upcoming G80, either going performance winter or even AS with above-average winter performance (for AS) like DWS06+. Since I'll rarely if ever HAVE to drive in poor conditions, it might be worth erring a bit towards preserving some level of performance for warmer, drier days.
I think that's the key point. Tire choice is always a compromise. We got over 100" in December last year and even during the worst storms the X5 on Wintracs (a performance winter) felt invincible. I also have a crazy steep driveway, (which the local kids enjoy sledding down) and never had an issue. Obviously ill always take more grip, but at a certain point maybe you shouldn't be out there in a 500hp sedan? You're probably also getting diminishing returns in snow/ice vs dry which is an important consideration if you are driving out of town where it's warmer on the regular.
2012 Audi A4 Avant - SOLD
Insta: mtn_m3cx
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 04:24 PM   #496
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Well I have been driving on the Pzero Winters for a couple weeks and I honestly don't know how Pirelli managed to make a tire like this. Its a tire that works in -20 and a blizzard, but also doesn't feel like a winter tire at all. They are incredible.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #497
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Well I have been driving on the Pzero Winters for a couple weeks and I honestly don't know how Pirelli managed to make a tire like this. Its a tire that works in -20 and a blizzard, but also doesn't feel like a winter tire at all. They are incredible.
Agree. I even ran them in August for a few weeks when I bent one of my summer wheels and they did not feel out of place at all.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2022, 03:31 PM   #498
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymmetrick View Post
Decided to equip the G80 with AG M520R wheels in a square setup for winter. One of the reason I chose this wheel is that I think the style and Technica Titanium finish fit better with the Frozen Dark Grey of my M3 than standard black 829M wheels offered by BMW.

Also got Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 winter tires (275/35R19) to go with these wheels. These tires are better suited for the amount of snow we get here.

Pictures below!
Nice set-up! A question and I'm sorry for going off on a tangent on this thread, but can you tell me why you only installed mud flaps behind the front wheels?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 08:49 PM   #499
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
I just pulled the trigger on the OEM 829m wheel combo. My new daily won't be arriving til end of December/early January, so I will only have the M3 until then which should be in my possession by end of this month.

Price is a bit up there but like the way they look. OEM fit and finish is my kinda thing. I may post some photos once they come in and I get them on the car
2017 Ford Focus ST, Oxford White (traded in)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 04:41 PM   #500
Asymmetrick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4/G82 CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoaddict View Post
Nice set-up! A question and I'm sorry for going off on a tangent on this thread, but can you tell me why you only installed mud flaps behind the front wheels?
Good eyes re: mud flaps!

To answer your question: I've purchased mudflaps for both front and rear wheels prior to getting the car. When the car finally arrived, I did not see any dirt collecting on the side panels behind the rear wheels in the first few days of usage so I did not install the rear mudflaps. I've had the car for a bit less than 4 months now, and that observation still holds. The front wheels situation is a different issue, and I think it is very important to have mudflaps at that position to protect the paint of the car.

Also, my AG M520R winter rims have slightly more offset than the OEM setup for front wheels (+25 if memory serves), so it will be even more important to have the mudflaps on the front during the winter months. For the rear wheels, the increased offset associated with the AG rims is compensated by the slightly narrower wheels (19 inch) in the square setup. Because of that, I do not expect much splatter on the side panels behind the rear wheels.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #501
santox
Ing.
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp G82 xDrive

I've just installed my Hankook Icept Evo 3 on stock rims and i've never ever experienced something like this. On efficient mode with dsc full on if i floor it , i cannot get past 80-90 km/h . If i disable dsc it's fine , but it's also very unstable. I had Ps4s and never had any issues . Maybe is the break in period , but i really doubt that will be a big difference . Anyone with Hankooks had this issues ?
      11-11-2022, 05:59 PM   #502
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymmetrick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoaddict View Post
Good eyes re: mud flaps!

To answer your question: I've purchased mudflaps for both front and rear wheels prior to getting the car. When the car finally arrived, I did not see any dirt collecting on the side panels behind the rear wheels in the first few days of usage so I did not install the rear mudflaps. I've had the car for a bit less than 4 months now, and that observation still holds. The front wheels situation is a different issue, and I think it is very important to have mudflaps at that position to protect the paint of the car.

Also, my AG M520R winter rims have slightly more offset than the OEM setup for front wheels (+25 if memory serves), so it will be even more important to have the mudflaps on the front during the winter months. For the rear wheels, the increased offset associated with the AG rims is compensated by the slightly narrower wheels (19 inch) in the square setup. Because of that, I do not expect much splatter on the side panels behind the rear wheels.
If those wheels are ET25 then they're 5mm *less* flush than stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 04:45 AM   #503
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by santox View Post
I've just installed my Hankook Icept Evo 3 on stock rims and i've never ever experienced something like this. On efficient mode with dsc full on if i floor it , i cannot get past 80-90 km/h . If i disable dsc it's fine , but it's also very unstable. I had Ps4s and never had any issues . Maybe is the break in period , but i really doubt that will be a big difference . Anyone with Hankooks had this issues ?
Hmm... Are you using proper OEM sized tires hankook Icept Evo 3? I didn't know they made those tires that fit the oem wheels.

Few things - make sure the installer put the right sized tire on the correct rim ... Then the right tire/rim on the correct axel.

Any combo of that lets say putting the 18s in the rear and 19s in the front.

If they did any plus sizing to fit the factory rims it's needs to say within oem ratios especially if you have awd.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 06:48 AM   #504
TVonthe80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 TV G80 50j

I saw Tirerack had a close out sale on blizzacks in the 275/35/19 size so I jumped on them. They’re dated 2018 but they’ll probably only last 2 seasons anyway so for half price it made sense.

Putting them on a set of satin bronze super speed wheels in et10 to clear the ccbs. Should be a killer look, hopefully mounted by this time next week!
JS2137.50
      11-12-2022, 09:52 AM   #505
Asymmetrick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4/G82 CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglilsteve View Post
If those wheels are ET25 then they're 5mm *less* flush than stock.

Just checked the paperwork and the rims are ET15 (so 5mm more flush than 826M wheels). Cited the ET number change backwards in my previous post – I stand corrected!
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2022, 05:36 PM   #506
CoonsA
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 xDrive

Installed the winter wheels/tires! Looking forward to seeing how the Hankook's do in the elements.

Something about the more aggressive tread seems cool. Makes me wish someone would build a M3 rally-spec or 'Safari M3' or HooniMMM

Thanks to everyone on this thread for sharing info from their experiences, very helpful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
JS2137.50
ryanb0655.00
playswcars3633.50
jamabdi185.50