08-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #133
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
I'd be more than good with those grills, especially with the honey combish design, but we wont be that lucky.
Honeycomb rather that horizontal slats would definitely improve the look.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #134
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
So many minds blown right now lol!!! certainly not the big grilles many people were doubling down on but it's still a spy shot in camo .... really hoping this is closer to the final design though. Fingers crossed...
Should I add you to the list?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #135
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
SCOTT26 described what it will look like in detail. There's no bumper bisecting the grills. The license plate itself will bisect the grill.
And I guess the chances Scott26 is wrong is minimal. I can't wrap my head around the idea that they couldn't just bisect the grilles. Plenty of Photoshops here that look good with the bisecting bumper. At least with Audi, the grille has a cohesive design. This thing looks like a kid with a crayon designed it. Fingers crossed it looks better in final guise.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #136
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
And I guess the chances Scott26 is wrong is minimal. I can't wrap my head around the idea that they couldn't just bisect the grilles. Plenty of Photoshops here that look good with the bisecting bumper. At least with Audi, the grille has a cohesive design. This thing looks like a kid with a crayon designed it. Fingers crossed it looks better in final guise.
I agree with you about Audi's cohesiveness. Never once have I looked at a modern Audi and found the design language abhorrent.

I like the grills on BMW's "i" concept cars. They look futuristic; almost TRON-like. Give me those grills.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #137
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
I agree with you about Audi's cohesiveness. Never once have I looked at a modern Audi and found the design language abhorrent.

I like the grills on BMW's "i" concept cars. They look futuristic; almost TRON-like. Give me those grills.
Abhorrently boring until the latest generation which finally has character and edge to it. I was very pleasantly surprised last time I walked into the Audi dealer where the new E-tron, RS5 and Q8 which look really nice and in the dark corner of shame lurked the utterly boring and blend Q7 representing the big yawn of Audi designs the last decades.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #138
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:

Abhorrently boring until the latest generation which finally has character and edge to it. I was very pleasantly surprised last time I walked into the Audi dealer where the new E-tron, RS5 and Q8 which look really nice and in the dark corner of shame lurked the utterly boring and blend Q7 representing the big yawn of Audi designs the last decades.
Great points, but I actually liked the previous gen A, S and RS cars too.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #139
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
If one does not like the grilles, a dark color will hide them.
As long as it has three pedals, I am good, TBH.

A black G80 Pure, 6MT, w/ polarizing grilles =
Agreed! A dark color and 6mt is all I need (unless they bring back Silverstone)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #140
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Quote:

Agreed! A dark color and 6mt is all I need (unless they bring back Silverstone)
Basically akin to putting a pillow over the face of an ugly chick with a hot body so you can better enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 1
JTO245271.50
      08-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #141
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Basically akin to putting a pillow over the face of an ugly chick with a hot body so you can better enjoy the ride.
Maybe they’ll give it a really nice back end so you can always approach the car/girl from the rear
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24961.00
      08-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #142
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Quote:
Maybe they’ll give it a really nice back end so you can always approach the car/girl from the rear
Fingers crossed, because the ass end of that render isn't giving me much hope. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #143
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Quote:
Maybe they'll give it a really nice back end so you can always approach the car/girl from the rear
Fingers crossed, because the ass end of that render isn't giving me much hope. Lol!
I'm going to add you to my list.

J/K 😜
      08-30-2019, 05:39 PM   #144
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
*Cough*
Yes!
I have not seen the M3/M4 yet, just the regular 4 and i4.
But the 2 is looking good.
Interesting that it has its own singular identity apart from the 2 Gran Coupe which is also a good looking car.

It will be interesting on how they apply the M package to the next M2 as those that have seen the new M3/M4 say that with the larger sized grilles it allows for far more interpretation to the form of the aerodynamics as well as outline and placement of the intakes.
      08-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #145
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
*Cough*
Yes!
Interesting that it has its own singular identity apart from the 2 Gran Coupe which is also a good looking car.

It will be interesting on how they apply the M package to the ext M2 as those that have seen the new M3/M4 say that with the larger sized grilles it allows for far more interpretation to the form of the aerodynamics as well as outline and placement of the intakes.
If the sales didn't live up to expectation, do you personally think BMW would revert back to their more traditional design language?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #146
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
If the sales didn't live up to expectation, do you personally think BMW would revert back to their more traditional design language?
It's difficult to tell. Reaction goes both ways and sometimes detractors although the loudest are eclipsed by customer acceptance and market reaction. BMW are less stagnant than in the past and need to keep on evolving especially in design where subtlety can be although perfect ? Completely anonymous.

In the case of BMW it is right to seek further interpretation to establish individual identity. Especially when your iconic design cues are being interpreted by others.

In the example of G22. There will be controversy that in turn stirs the debate, the debate gathers headlines as well as putting you ahead in the design medium. Last time around there was no social media to contend with. So the parallels are certainly going to be interesting.
      08-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #147
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Yes!

It will be interesting on how they apply the M package to the next M2 as those that have seen the new M3/M4 say that with the larger sized grilles it allows for far more interpretation to the form of the aerodynamics as well as outline and placement of the intakes.
So the grille on the new 4er will be one big piece, similar to the iX3/i Vision Dynamics?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #148
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Yes!

This was my thought as well... typically M cars have that /___\ middle lower intake but with grills taking up that space BMW need to get creative if they're to keep that design feature.

Is the grill trim Lemetier posted from the new 2er??
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:29 PM   #149
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:

Hopefully "pure" doesn't mean you have less power, no tech options, etc. I really would like manual and selectable AWD with full power ...

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #150
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's difficult to tell. Reaction goes both ways and sometimes detractors although the loudest are eclipsed by customer acceptance and market reaction. BMW are less stagnant than in the past and need to keep on evolving especially in design where subtlety can be although perfect ? Completely anonymous.

In the case of BMW it is right to seek further interpretation to establish individual identity. Especially when your iconic design cues are being interpreted by others.

In the example of G22. There will be controversy that in turn stirs the debate, the debate gathers headlines as well as putting you ahead in the design medium. Last time around there was no social media to contend with. So the parallels are certainly going to be interesting.
Thank you for your input.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:03 PM   #151
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
hmmm....could it be....Audi
My Audi grille looks 100x better than that monstrosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24961.00
      08-30-2019, 09:54 PM   #152
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
So many minds blown right now lol!!! certainly not the big grilles many people were doubling down on but it's still a spy shot in camo .... really hoping this is closer to the final design though. Fingers crossed...
Put me down as a nonbeliever; that's just camouflage, the grill would resemble something like the G20 with a lower cooling mesh but they won't intersect, top to bottom, as the rendering suggest.

I saw the make up the S58 cooling, there is no logical reason for that massive front grill. It certainly would be bigger than the F80/82 but would not be considered excessive by current BMW generation standards.

It would probably look something like this below, minus the fog lights:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #153
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Put me down as nonbeliever; that's just camouflage, the grill would resemble something like the G20 with a lower cooling mesh but they won't intersect, top to bottom, as the rendering suggest.

I saw the make up the S58 cooling, there is no logical reason for that massive front grill. It certainly would be bigger than the F80/82 but would not be considered excessive by current BMW generation standards.

It would probably look something like this below, minus the fog lights:
Done!!! I fully expect that you'll man-up when your prediction is wrong, right?!?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #154
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Quote:
list of folks believing the large grilles? No. I never have believed it but I wouldn't put money on anything at this point and we could still get some big *** grilles. Who knows !?

List of potential buyers if it doesn't look horrible (regardless of grille size)? Yes. You can add me to that list. Although I still may migrate to track weapon and tow vehicle instead of the jack of all trades ... time will tell!

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread