G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

12-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #45
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedreamer View Post
What do you think? Elon is aiming at the M3 with the P Model 3.

Intriguing or not? That electric torque is hard to beat.

I for one prefer the steering feedback and linear throttle of the old NA cars but you can’t even get that in a BMW these days. So I guess electric is the future.
The M3 will be aimed at a global audience to be driven in practically every country there is. The Model 3 is aimed at a Californians. And Norwegian cabbies .
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #46
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedreamer View Post
What do you think? Elon is aiming at the M3 with the P Model 3.

Intriguing or not? That electric torque is hard to beat.

I for one prefer the steering feedback and linear throttle of the old NA cars but you can’t even get that in a BMW these days. So I guess electric is the future.
The M3 will be aimed at a global audience to be driven in practically every country there is. The Model 3 is aimed at a Californians. And Norwegian cabbies .
Hahaha.

That's funny.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #47
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

The Model 3 is a great commuter car with interesting tech. Whether or not comparing it to an M3 makes any sense just depends on the intended use.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #48
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

The Model 3 is a great car, but for me, I can't get over the fact there's no engine/exhaust noise. I'm hoping BMW learned from their mistake with the s55, if so g80 it is for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #49
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Not sure about that. People like nice interiors. Tesla's interiors are equivalent to Hyundai's and Kia's. Sure you'll get the non-car tech nerd that will be amazed by the Model 3 but real car people won't go there.
Absolutely. Plus Tesla will never be capable in curves like M3. For me Tesla is just a catapult on 4 wheels. Nothing more.
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #50
Ras550
Private
Rep
Drives: Now:3P, Then:335xi,330ZHP,540i

P3 vs M3, C63, GT-R and Ferrari 488GTB

For those who STILL think Model 3 is a straight line champ like the model S, there are now many reviews comparing the P3 to the best sports sedans and even supercars, on a track.

Previously MT reviewed it and it ran faster around the track than a Ferrari 458 Italia and an Alfa Quadrifoglio.

See the latest one below where it's again significantly faster on a track than a C63 and M3.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...-battle-video/
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #51
cca101
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras550 View Post
For those who STILL think Model 3 is a straight line champ like the model S, there are now many reviews comparing the P3 to the best sports sedans and even supercars, on a track.

Previously MT reviewed it and it ran faster around the track than a Ferrari 458 Italia and an Alfa Quadrifoglio.

See the latest one below where it's again significantly faster on a track than a C63 and M3.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...-battle-video/
That's cool, but I've never seen a test where an AMG is faster than an M let alone 2 seconds .
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #52
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

I find it funny there is so much negative Tesla views here. I understand everyone loves their BMW,s but the Ice cars are going to fade as electric cars multiply. BMW , Audi and all other car companies etc will have to offer them too and they will be everyone's future cars. It's just a matter of time. I have driven a Tesla and must admit the instant torque is addictive. It feels like the future and is so much more responsive in normal driving. The speed is just amazing and made my E92 manual 6Mt seem like an antique. I am still driving it though.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #53
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwhmts View Post
I find it funny there is so much negative Tesla views here. I understand everyone loves their BMW,s but the Ice cars are going to fade as electric cars multiply. BMW , Audi and all other car companies etc will have to offer them too and they will be everyone's future cars. It's just a matter of time. I have driven a Tesla and must admit the instant torque is addictive. It feels like the future and is so much more responsive in normal driving. The speed is just amazing and made my E92 manual 6Mt seem like an antique. I am still driving it though.
Interesting because electric cars are NOT multiplying at all.

What happens when no one buys them? Shit. That's happening right now. Aside from Cali EVs aren't selling that well at all. I live in a very populated part of NY and there is 1 Tesla to every 500 ICE cars currently. It could be 1-1000. It's that bad
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #54
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I tested a Tesla Model 3 Performance for the bulk of a weekend and it turned me in to a believer. To preface, I am a BMW guy through and through having owned several over the years including a F80 as my current driver.

My wife is an EV nut and has a close friend who works at Tesla, so that led us down the road of testing one for a few days. That said, below are my impressions from each category (at least the ones that matter most to me):

Performance:

Wow... just wow. I've driven in some very fast cars, but stepping on the gas pedal in this is like nothing I've ever experienced. The way bolts off the line with so little effort is almost dream like, no spooling, no lag, just point it and let it fly. I was also extremely impressed with the handling, as the car really did not show its weight. Really sharp dynamics with tight steering and almost no roll, which might not be completely on par with my F80 but is about 90% for sure.

Interior:

This is an interesting one, as when you first sit in the car, it is extremely jarring as you need to adjust to its spartan nature. No gear shift obviously, no buttons, just you a steering wheel and a screen. You do get used to that eventually, but again it's just very different.

From a materials perspective, I wouldn't say that they are on par with my F80, but it's closer than you would think. I'd probably put them right on par with some of the entry level BMWs (which can be good or bad depending on your viewpoint). Certainly not as bad as some make them out to be, but merely ok.

Exterior:

I was only kind of lukewarm on this car in pictures, but I was pleasantly surprised I saw it in the flesh (Black Model 3 performance). Maybe it was just this particular color on the car, but it really stood out to me, especially with the 20in wheels and red brakes.

One gripe though that became especially apparent when we returned the car, is that there is very little differentiation between a 70k performance model and a 40k base. You get the wheels, brakes a spoiler and some badging, but that's it. This is where my F80 really stands out, as BMW has perfected making the Ms something special. Granted, our car didn't have the spoiler or the badging installed yet, but I'm not sure that would be a huge difference anyway.

Overall, I went from dismissing the car entirely to seriously considering one for my next car. Again I don't own one nor am I a Tesla mouthpiece, so I hope this provides a decent non-biased review for those that might be wondering about the car.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #55
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

I drove a Model S P100D. It's torquey as hell, and that's about it. It was too quiet and didn't have any excitement driving it.

I love noise, so I will stay with a combustion engine as long as I can. ///M for me all the way!!!
      02-12-2019, 12:13 AM   #56
Ras550
Private
Rep

Quote:

What happens when no one buys them? Shit. That's happening right now. Aside from Cali EVs aren't selling that well at all. I live in a very populated part of NY and there is 1 Tesla to every 500 ICE cars currently. It could be 1-1000. It's that bad
I guess you haven't heard that Model 3 outsold all European luxury brands in the second half of the year?
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 12:16 AM   #57
Ras550
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
I drove a Model S P100D. It's torquey as hell, and that's about it. It was too quiet and didn't have any excitement driving it.

I love noise, so I will stay with a combustion engine as long as I can. ///M for me all the way!!!
P100D and P3 are night and day.

P100D is straight line fast, but not very exciting - kind of like a M760i (but way quicker)

P3 is is a different level. Without track mode, it was already beating 911s on racetracks. Since the track mode was released, it's untouchable by anything short of a supercar. Frankly the M3 is no competition to it, neither is the Alfa. It punches way above it's weight class.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2019, 12:24 AM   #58
Ras550
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
I tested a Tesla Model 3 Performance for the bulk of a weekend and it turned me in to a believer. To preface, I am a BMW guy through and through having owned several over the years including a F80 as my current driver.

My wife is an EV nut and has a close friend who works at Tesla, so that led us down the road of testing one for a few days. That said, below are my impressions from each category (at least the ones that matter most to me):

Performance:

Wow... just wow. I've driven in some very fast cars, but stepping on the gas pedal in this is like nothing I've ever experienced. The way bolts off the line with so little effort is almost dream like, no spooling, no lag, just point it and let it fly. I was also extremely impressed with the handling, as the car really did not show its weight. Really sharp dynamics with tight steering and almost no roll, which might not be completely on par with my F80 but is about 90% for sure.

Interior:

This is an interesting one, as when you first sit in the car, it is extremely jarring as you need to adjust to its spartan nature. No gear shift obviously, no buttons, just you a steering wheel and a screen. You do get used to that eventually, but again it's just very different.

From a materials perspective, I wouldn't say that they are on par with my F80, but it's closer than you would think. I'd probably put them right on par with some of the entry level BMWs (which can be good or bad depending on your viewpoint). Certainly not as bad as some make them out to be, but merely ok.

Exterior:

I was only kind of lukewarm on this car in pictures, but I was pleasantly surprised I saw it in the flesh (Black Model 3 performance). Maybe it was just this particular color on the car, but it really stood out to me, especially with the 20in wheels and red brakes.

One gripe though that became especially apparent when we returned the car, is that there is very little differentiation between a 70k performance model and a 40k base. You get the wheels, brakes a spoiler and some badging, but that's it. This is where my F80 really stands out, as BMW has perfected making the Ms something special. Granted, our car didn't have the spoiler or the badging installed yet, but I'm not sure that would be a huge difference anyway.

Overall, I went from dismissing the car entirely to seriously considering one for my next car. Again I don't own one nor am I a Tesla mouthpiece, so I hope this provides a decent non-biased review for those that might be wondering about the car.
Good to see an unbiased review from a current bmw owner. I'd owned only bmws for 15 years before I took a test drive in a P3 and was instantly sold. (Technically we still have a bmw in the family - my wife's JCW Mini)

I think your point about the P3 not being differentiated enough from a regular model 3 is valid and may deter some people. It's more like the M5 does not look that different from a regular m-sport 540i. Not like the M3 which looks a lot more aggressive than a 340i. Tesla's design language is a lot more understated.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #59
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I guess you haven't heard that Model 3 outsold all European luxury brands in the second half of the year?
Link
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #60
Ras550
Private
Rep

Quote:
Link
Here you go - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...edes-benz/amp/

Model 3 is already outselling 3/4 series by a large margin. It’s even selling as much as the entire BMW lineup in the states. Th si is with bmw selling tons of crossovers and Tesla yet to launch model Y. Once the mode Y comes, it’s truly game over.

Again I’m a long time Bmw enthusiast and not against the Bavarian company. They just dropped the ball big time on EVs. Any one buying a new car today and getting an ICE would be making a very poor investment imho. If you are buying an ICe, I’d lease. These cars won’t have any value left in a few years.

Europe and China just launched. Should be fun the see how the story plays out there.

Tesla already has a higher market cap than BMW, fwiw.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #61
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

I actually like the fact that Model 3P does not have outlandish skirts and bumpers to differentiate itself from the base Model 3. Kind of like the old days of BMW. When a car is designed well to begin with, it doesn't need all that to sell the performance version. All you need to know are the red calipers. Sometimes I feel manufacturers purposely uglify base cars so they can enlarge fake air inlets for a premium.
      02-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #62
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
Says the guy who thinks the best F30 is the 320
well, it is. If you don't agree, go argue with Jamesons Viggen

Last edited by openwheelracing; 02-13-2019 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #63
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Link
Here you go - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...edes-benz/amp/

Model 3 is already outselling 3/4 series by a large margin. It’s even selling as much as the entire BMW lineup in the states. Th si is with bmw selling tons of crossovers and Tesla yet to launch model Y. Once the mode Y comes, it’s truly game over.

Again I’m a long time Bmw enthusiast and not against the Bavarian company. They just dropped the ball big time on EVs. Any one buying a new car today and getting an ICE would be making a very poor investment imho. If you are buying an ICe, I’d lease. These cars won’t have any value left in a few years.

Europe and China just launched. Should be fun the see how the story plays out there.

Tesla already has a higher market cap than BMW, fwiw.
Let's not get crazy

Per your article

"Correction: An earlier version of this story inaccurately concluded Tesla was the number one premium auto brand in the U.S. Tesla's 90,700 reported deliveries were global, while sales for BMW and Mercedes-Benz were for the U.S. alone. The post and headline have been corrected".
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #64
Ras550
Private
Rep

Quote:
Let's not get crazy

Per your article

"Correction: An earlier version of this story inaccurately concluded Tesla was the number one premium auto brand in the U.S. Tesla's 90,700 reported deliveries were global, while sales for BMW and Mercedes-Benz were for the U.S. alone. The post and headline have been corrected".
Did you even read the article?? Tesla sold 90k vehicles BMW sold 80-85k. Tesla is already ahead, even with model 3 ramping up only in July.

Google Tesla vs. Luxury car sales in the US and you get plenty of sources stating what I have stated above. Here's another source - https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/09...chnica-charts/
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #65
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Model 3 along obliterated the "luxury" market in 2018 especially 2nd half. We've never seen anything like this before.

It'll likely slow down, but I expect it to continue to outsell the competition. The demand is high, but price is high as well.
      02-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #66
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Add me to the list of people strongly considering this as their next car. M3 lease is up soon, so I took a day pass in one of these on Turo and my god it was awesome...

It's coming down to either the Tesla or the Alfa Quad and I may actually be leaning towards the Tesla. I figure worst case, if I want to get rid of it in a year or two, then it just acts as a bridge to the G80
Appreciate 0