BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

View Poll Results: What is your max speed on this car
60-80 mph 4 3.88%
80-100 mph 6 5.83%
100-110 mph 8 7.77%
110-120 mph 7 6.80%
120-130 mph 12 11.65%
130 and above 66 64.08%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

04-22-2023, 03:59 PM   #23
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Depends what road you're on.

Out here in Arizona, there are plenty of highways with little traffic (no cops) so it's fine to speed at excessive speeds
At speeds in excess of 130 mph if anything at all goes wrong it won't end well. Race tracks are designed with crash barriers, runoff, gravel traps to slow cars down, not to mention on the spot medical staff, ambulances to deal with any injury. highways (at least in the US) are not designed to deal with that.

I disagree that it's safe to travel "at excessive speed" on any public highway unless it's done very sporadically. For example if it was a straight road with good visibility for miles and no one else, then sure I would be ok to launch and do high speed but I would not drive regularly at such speeds on roads. There are just too many variables that cannot be accounted for most of all other drivers who are likely clueless.
Appreciate 2
Tyga113241.50
      04-22-2023, 06:28 PM   #24
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
At speeds in excess of 130 mph if anything at all goes wrong it won't end well. Race tracks are designed with crash barriers, runoff, gravel traps to slow cars down, not to mention on the spot medical staff, ambulances to deal with any injury. highways (at least in the US) are not designed to deal with that.

I disagree that it's safe to travel "at excessive speed" on any public highway unless it's done very sporadically. For example if it was a straight road with good visibility for miles and no one else, then sure I would be ok to launch and do high speed but I would not drive regularly at such speeds on roads. There are just too many variables that cannot be accounted for most of all other drivers who are likely clueless.
I'm with ya - not something I make an habit of by any means.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2023, 06:49 AM   #25
Gottagofast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp X-Drive

My top speed? 60 Mph, officer.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2620.50
      04-23-2023, 08:12 AM   #26
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over son?

Answer: Hmnnn...coz you saw my awesome car and wanted to see it up close and personal

Joke of the day:

A policeman flags down a driver. After pulling him over, the policeman approached the driver’s door.

“Is there a problem, Officer?”

The policeman says, “Sir, you were speeding. Can I see your license please?”

The driver responds, “I’d give it to you but I don’t have one.”

“You don’t have one?”

The man responds, “I lost it four times for drunk driving.”

The policeman is shocked. “I see. Can I see your vehicle registration papers please?”

“I’m sorry, I can’t do that.”

The policeman says, “Why not?”

“I stole this car.”

The officer says, “Stole it?”

The man says, “Yes, and I killed the owner.”

At this point the officer is getting irate. “You what?”

“She’s in the trunk if you want to see.”

The Officer looks at the man and slowly backs away to his car and calls for back up. Within minutes, five police cars show up, surrounding the car. A senior officer slowly approaches the car, clasping his half-drawn gun.

The senior officer says, “Sir, could you step out of your vehicle please!”

The man steps out of his vehicle. “Is there a problem, sir?”

“One of my officers told me that you have stolen this car and murdered the owner.”

“Murdered the owner?”

The officer responds, “Yes, could you please open the trunk of your car please?”

The man opens the trunk, revealing nothing but an empty trunk.

The officer says, “Is this your car sir?”

The man says, “Yes” and hands over the registration papers.

The officer, understandably, is quite stunned. “One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving license.”

The man digs in his pocket revealing a wallet and hands it to the officer. The officer opens the wallet and examines the license. He looks quite puzzled. “Thank you, sir. One of my officers told me you didn’t have a license, stole this car, and murdered the owner.”

The man replies, “I bet you the lying bastard told you I was speeding, too!”

Appreciate 1
wavyyyy1045.50
      04-23-2023, 08:37 AM   #27
farfugnugen
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

176 mph, I95 N in South Carolina. It was 2am and the interstate was completely empty due to an approaching snowstorm. Took advantage of those long straight stretches to open it up on my way north to PA.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3402.00
Aalfred2620.50
      04-23-2023, 01:26 PM   #28
authentic-haggis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
my state troopers are not that friendly. did you just admit to doing 60mph in a 55mph zone? here's your ticket. have a nice day. yes, they pull people over for 3mph over 55mph over here and the traffic court judges seemed to be in cohoots with the troopers.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:29 PM   #29
authentic-haggis
Private First Class
Rep

this thread is why BMW needs to bring European delivery back! even Mercedes stopped doing European dealer. Sad.

in 1999, I too delivery of my Mercedes at that time and took it up to 138mph on the Authbahn after a few days of slow driving to break it in. It was electronically limited as the tires weren't performance tires. After the car was shipped back to the US, I picked it up at the dealer a few weeks later. I "apologized" to the car because it was doomed to spend a lifetime doing less than 80mph here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:38 PM   #30
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic-haggis View Post
this thread is why BMW needs to bring European delivery back! even Mercedes stopped doing European dealer. Sad.

in 1999, I too delivery of my Mercedes at that time and took it up to 138mph on the Authbahn after a few days of slow driving to break it in. It was electronically limited as the tires weren't performance tires. After the car was shipped back to the US, I picked it up at the dealer a few weeks later. I "apologized" to the car because it was doomed to spend a lifetime doing less than 80mph here in the US.
Dang..wasnt it there a break in period with speed limit? I think for the M3 it was like 105 mph or under 5K RPM until 1200 miles or until you get ur break in service. So even with European Delivery u cant really let it rip on the Autobahn unless uve done ur break in service !!! So either ways we are screwed !!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:46 PM   #31
authentic-haggis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
Dang..wasnt it there a break in period with speed limit? I think for the M3 it was like 105 mph or under 5K RPM until 1200 miles or until you get ur break in service. So even with European Delivery u cant really let it rip on the Autobahn unless uve done ur break in service !!! So either ways we are screwed !!! Lol
IIRC, I drove it very gently for at least 1500 miles around Europe... then went back to Germany. I had a German friend with me who carefully guided me to 100mph, then all the way to 130mph+. The longest that I maintained 130mph was no more than 10 to 15 minutes, because even Germany autobahn had traffic congestion. (shocking, right?)
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2620.50
      04-23-2023, 06:03 PM   #32
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic-haggis View Post
IIRC, I drove it very gently for at least 1500 miles around Europe... then went back to Germany. I had a German friend with me who carefully guided me to 100mph, then all the way to 130mph+. The longest that I maintained 130mph was no more than 10 to 15 minutes, because even Germany autobahn had traffic congestion. (shocking, right?)
Wow… its great that you go to do that. My bufket list is to go to the Autobahn and hopefully be able to rent a M car. Hopefully can get to this dream sooner than later. Congrats on ur awesome experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 07:01 PM   #33
authentic-haggis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wow… its great that you go to do that. My bufket list is to go to the Autobahn and hopefully be able to rent a M car. Hopefully can get to this dream sooner than later. Congrats on ur awesome experience.
just like on our American highways, there are plenty of idiotic drivers
on German highways and Autobahns(sad but true). Use extreme
caution if it's your first time going over 100mph. I was fortunate
because my German friend basically taught me how to drive fast but
safely at those insane speeds. He was actually my late father's friend
and he also passed away recently.

Not sure if I'm allowed to say this on this forum, but driving on the
Autobahn was 100 times more exhilarating than the first time I lost
my virginity in high school ages ago.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2620.50
      04-24-2023, 01:13 PM   #34
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Ok..before some legal guy jumps in and closes this poll, I wanted to see how many of us have bent the rules a bit to push this car. Im always trying to back off on the pedal whenever I try to push it coz it that fast !!! So wondering, what others are doing with the speed of the car. Im talking just on the roads (not track). Wanna get a rough idea of how many speed demons are here on this forum Dont worry this will be anonymous poll and please chose the max speed you did on the car for atleast 1-2 min before realizing that you need to lay off the pedal.
Well, you didn’t ask where we sped so… it’s technically not illegal, right?
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2620.50
      04-24-2023, 01:15 PM   #35
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Dang...looks like a lot of people are putting the pedal to the metal in this car !!! lol. Its so easy to hit 110 with just a quick dab of the throttle. Need to get this car to the track soon.
Just as easy to hit 120, 130, 140 lol.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2620.50