home
Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

07-07-2023, 12:27 PM   #177
dj_intrinsic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6MT

I ended up going off the AliExpress full heatsink kit from icedriver. From this tread, it seems like this store is the primary supplier for other yellow DRL vendors.

Took about 1 week for shipping with a super easy install IF you take of the wheels and use a ratcheting wrench with a T20 bit on the outer lights (behind fender liner). Also you might have to get some double sided thermal tape as when I received the kit, the smaller boards fell of the heatsinks. Easy fix and a couple bucks off Amazon.

BMW M3 M4 CSL 4 series DRL RGBW multicolor LED boards G80 G22 G82 G23 G26 daytime running lights Lemon Yellow Red
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKAzOdK
Attached Images

2023 G80 MT / AW / Fjord Blue/Black | KW HAS | Apex VS5RS F:20x10+8 285/30-20 R:20x11+18 305/30-20 | Maxton Street Pro Splitter | OEM M3CS Grille | SST Valve Controller | CS Style Yellow DRL | MAD Non-Res Single Midpipe
Past: 2018 X3 M40i | 2016 M-Sport X1 | 2013 MT M-Sport 328i | 2021 Audi A6 Allroad
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2023, 03:00 AM   #178
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 COMP

Ordered from IceDriver and installed the yellow DRLs today. No issue with the boards being loose or light quality, however one thing that slightly bothered me was the top modules being both right sides. The boards were swapped to have it accommodate its respective headlight but the fins are both facing the same way instead of being one for left and one for right. I originally thought it was going to make contact with the hood upon closing it but everything is fine. IceDriver has no comment about the modules being both the same for the top.

Note: if you inspect Ice Driver’s product picture you can see both modules saying ‘R’ meaning right side.
Appreciate 4
      07-23-2023, 12:00 AM   #179
dj_intrinsic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3atyg80x View Post
Ordered from IceDriver and installed the yellow DRLs today. No issue with the boards being loose or light quality, however one thing that slightly bothered me was the top modules being both right sides. The boards were swapped to have it accommodate its respective headlight but the fins are both facing the same way instead of being one for left and one for right. I originally thought it was going to make contact with the hood upon closing it but everything is fine. IceDriver has no comment about the modules being both the same for the top.

Note: if you inspect Ice Driver’s product picture you can see both modules saying ‘R’ meaning right side.
The top heatsinks don't matter as they are exactly the same. If you look at the LED boards they say "LR" and LED itself is smack dab in the middle.
2023 G80 MT / AW / Fjord Blue/Black | KW HAS | Apex VS5RS F:20x10+8 285/30-20 R:20x11+18 305/30-20 | Maxton Street Pro Splitter | OEM M3CS Grille | SST Valve Controller | CS Style Yellow DRL | MAD Non-Res Single Midpipe
Past: 2018 X3 M40i | 2016 M-Sport X1 | 2013 MT M-Sport 328i | 2021 Audi A6 Allroad
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2023, 06:18 PM   #180
testing02hwr
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i

I also ordered from IceDriver and half way during installation I noticed that my driver side DRLs stopped working.

They do turn on but they only stay on for a second... Almost like the car is trying to send power to the DRLs but does not.

I tried putting in the top OEM DRL and no dice either. Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 07:13 AM   #181
testing02hwr
Private
Rep

I swapped the bottom left module with OEM and the DRLs started working again. I can only imagine that the bottom left module IceDriver sent was a dud. It did turn on but you could tell the car did not like it since it turned off once the car knew something was up.

I like to look on the bright side of things and say that I now have an extra set of heatsinks for when I buy them from IND. Why IND? So I don't have to deal with someone across the world who can just decide to ghost me or tell me to spend $50 to send something back.

A pic of alternating DRLs when I was testing the modules out in case anyone was wondering what it would look like....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Bostro532.50
      07-27-2023, 01:47 PM   #182
vim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Garage List
2023 G80 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing02hwr View Post
I swapped the bottom left module with OEM and the DRLs started working again. I can only imagine that the bottom left module IceDriver sent was a dud. It did turn on but you could tell the car did not like it since it turned off once the car knew something was up.

I like to look on the bright side of things and say that I now have an extra set of heatsinks for when I buy them from IND. Why IND? So I don't have to deal with someone across the world who can just decide to ghost me or tell me to spend $50 to send something back.

A pic of alternating DRLs when I was testing the modules out in case anyone was wondering what it would look like....
damn that sucks. Did they end up sending you a new set?

6spd G80 M3
Alpine White
Kyalami Orange
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 04:45 PM   #183
vickeyduck
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4 Comp.

Garage List
I received the kits from icedriver. Cost me $128 in total 2 weeks ago. But one chip felt off during the transportation. I thought it was missing LOL, so I contacted the seller, got an instant response and send me a new one through FEDEX.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 04:53 PM   #184
LeonHtownM440
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M440i

For M440i none laser headlight

Is there any luck for us who doesn't have the laser headlight to potentially swap off the DRL LED to yellow? Is there a preferred vendor to order this mod? Anyone had bad experience with the mod sold by AliExpress?

Last edited by LeonHtownM440; 07-27-2023 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 05:17 PM   #185
testing02hwr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vim View Post
damn that sucks. Did they end up sending you a new set?
I’ll try and contact them to see what they say
Appreciate 1
vim262.00
      07-28-2023, 11:22 AM   #186
Sp2pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonHtownM440 View Post
Is there any luck for us who doesn't have the laser headlight to potentially swap off the DRL LED to yellow? Is there a preferred vendor to order this mod? Anyone had bad experience with the mod sold by AliExpress?
There are laser and non laser kits. Icedriver, as well as other more expensive vendors sell both.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 06:05 PM   #187
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

Are these the same type of screws you all have for your modules?

I assumed they were T bit security screws.

This is the type I’ve got on my car. It’s an M3 CS.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 05:56 AM   #188
Unimatrix0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp

Guess BMW does not want you to remove yours
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 08:14 AM   #189
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanBoy94 View Post
Are these the same type of screws you all have for your modules?

I assumed they were T bit security screws.

This is the type I’ve got on my car. It’s an M3 CS.
For some reason CS/CSL have security screws on. A bit of a pain.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 08:31 AM   #190
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Evolve View Post
For some reason CS/CSL have security screws on. A bit of a pain.
Is there a bit that exists to buy which will fit the screw type?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 08:58 AM   #191
Matt@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Is there a bit that exists to buy which will fit the screw type?
As far as I understand it they're a screw that cannot be undone, as there is no flat edge when going counter-clockwise. Typically called a clutch head or one way head.

Simplest method would be to use a Dremel to cut a slot in them to use a flathead, but I haven't tried this.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 09:02 AM   #192
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As far as I understand it they're a screw that cannot be undone, as there is no flat edge when going counter-clockwise. Typically called a clutch head or one way head.

Simplest method would be to use a Dremel to cut a slot in them to use a flathead, but I haven't tried this.
Do you think the aftermarket yellow DRL’s will work in the CS/CSL?

As they’ve obviously been coded to be just white whilst only DRL’s are on.

Also how close do you think the aftermarket DRL’s are compared to OEM CS/CSL DRLS?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 09:32 AM   #193
Matt@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Do you think the aftermarket yellow DRL’s will work in the CS/CSL?

As they’ve obviously been coded to be just white whilst only DRL’s are on.

Also how close do you think the aftermarket DRL’s are compared to OEM CS/CSL DRLS?
The Motorsport+ ones we have are pretty much an identical match.

I doubt regular DRLs will work in a CS/CSL because of the wiring for the extra functionality of having a 3rd diode for yellow. Because of the security screws I have not investigated further to see if this theory is correct however.

I have heard of people having their car coded to US/ROW spec to have yellow all of the time, but a software update would most likely revert this and may cause issues with part of the car being the wrong region. It could also potentially void your warranty like any software changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 01:39 PM   #194
mistasleepi
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Are the yellow drl legal in California?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 05:50 PM   #195
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The Motorsport+ ones we have are pretty much an identical match.

I doubt regular DRLs will work in a CS/CSL because of the wiring for the extra functionality of having a 3rd diode for yellow. Because of the security screws I have not investigated further to see if this theory is correct however.

I have heard of people having their car coded to US/ROW spec to have yellow all of the time, but a software update would most likely revert this and may cause issues with part of the car being the wrong region. It could also potentially void your warranty like any software changes.
What sort of issues would it cause “part” of the car?

Also, would this coding flag when you go for a service at BMW? I.E I know you get flagged when you tune, they get an automatic notification saying “potential tune”.

Is the likely hood of warranty being voided by coding the same risk as using something like Bimmer code?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 05:40 AM   #196
Matt@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
What sort of issues would it cause “part” of the car?

Also, would this coding flag when you go for a service at BMW? I.E I know you get flagged when you tune, they get an automatic notification saying “potential tune”.

Is the likely hood of warranty being voided by coding the same risk as using something like Bimmer code?
It's realistically uncharted territory, our coding expert was apprehensive due to unknown issues that could happen when a software update happens.

Any software changes, be that ECU tune or coding of any kind may flag up when the car is plugged in to BMW diagnostics. I haven't heard of it happening, but in theory any software not supplied by BMW is against your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 05:44 AM   #197
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's realistically uncharted territory, our coding expert was apprehensive due to unknown issues that could happen when a software update happens.

Any software changes, be that ECU tune or coding of any kind may flag up when the car is plugged in to BMW diagnostics. I haven't heard of it happening, but in theory any software not supplied by BMW is against your warranty.
Why don’t you guys just use your dremel to flat head out the screw and test the aftermarket DRL’s 😁

I’ve got a pair here and I’m considering doing the top module under the bonnet and testing it out. So essentially if that works, the modules near the wheels should work?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 10:02 AM   #198
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

So I managed to get the screw off without damaging the head… used a ply and it came off quite nicely and easily.

Plugged the after market modules in and they work!!

The colour is pretty identical… however the aftermarket modules are not as bright. Id says 10/15% less light.

I also saw that the original CS module has three diodes for light, whereas the aftermarket only has 2. That’s for the module on the bonnet.

Stuck with the OEM modules as they’re in my opinion much brighter.

Was thinking, is there anyway to turn up the brightness on the modules? Or is it already set at 100%?
Appreciate 0