BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-04-2024, 09:44 AM   #177
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Wagner is just reselling PTB, still only PTB and CM that I'm aware of.

Tons of people using PTB without issues. Bummer to hear about the problems, hopefully it gets resolved quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 10:13 AM   #178
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT BG/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidence View Post
Wagner is just reselling PTB, still only PTB and CM that I'm aware of.

Tons of people using PTB without issues. Bummer to hear about the problems, hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

Honestly, I'm not as concerned with the technical issues. I just wish he would respond. Again, I understand he has a whole business to run, but it's a little upsetting that he doesn't seem to prioritize helping a shop halfway around the world do some troubleshooting. Or even offer up "hey a disc might be warped, let me ship you another one and try that."
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2024, 02:54 PM   #179
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80_253 View Post
I've had the O/S/P setup installed in my car for a little over 2.5 months and 2k miles on a stage 2 91 bm3 map and its held up perfectly since day 1.

The shop that installed it had to swap the throw out bearing from the pre-installed setting to the other setting, but unfortunately I can't remember if that was the high or low setting.

Any way you could reach out to the shop you used and ask? I've now tried the throw out bearing on both settings and neither works. High causes preload and low doesn't reach. I'm at a loss.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2024, 08:32 AM   #180
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

Heard back from PTB finally. Told me they had some personal stuff going on last week. Now I feel like an ass for getting antsy, but I was at a week with no communication so I was fearing the worst.

Will touch back with any feedback so anyone else running into my issue won’t have to troubleshoot like me. 😬
Appreciate 3
      01-10-2024, 02:33 PM   #181
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Any love?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 09:48 AM   #182
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Any love?
Sorry been out of pocket. We just had our second child on the 8th so been busy.

No update yet, waiting on the shop to try next steps. I’ll be sure to keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 3
      01-14-2024, 10:02 AM   #183
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Congratulations on the new family member and good luck with the clutch situation.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 01:00 PM   #184
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce_bukkake View Post
Sorry been out of pocket. We just had our second child on the 8th so been busy.

No update yet, waiting on the shop to try next steps. I’ll be sure to keep everyone updated.
Hi Hot sauce, any updates on this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 01:19 PM   #185
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_g80_mt View Post
Hi Hot sauce, any updates on this issue?
None, yet. Waiting on the shop to get a window to put it back on the lift. They don’t wanna just bring it in without planning because it takes up their lead tech’s bay for quite a while. I get it. Just sucks waiting.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 11:36 AM   #186
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Bumping for attention:

Anyone that has installed the O/S/P configuration successfully, please DM me the contact info for your shop that did the installation so I can ask a few questions! Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:48 PM   #187
G80_253
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3

So my shop sent me over the image your shop took of the pressure plate and it looks completely different than the one I received. I’m responding here so others that got the performance pressure plate can respond with what theirs looked like.

The one on carpet is mine and the one on the box is hotsauce. One of us got the wrong part.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      01-30-2024, 08:17 AM   #188
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Wow - that's quite the finding.
      01-31-2024, 03:55 PM   #189
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
The pressure plate on the lower picture with the carpet looks OEM plate.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 04:19 PM   #190
G80_253
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
The pressure plate on the lower picture with the carpet looks OEM plate.
Yeah it’s looks very similar to the OEM one and it’s also made by LUK, I just don’t know if it’s an uprated one that they custom order or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:02 PM   #191
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So my shop sent me over the image your shop took of the pressure plate and it looks completely different than the one I received. I’m responding here so others that got the performance pressure plate can respond with what theirs looked like.

The one on carpet is mine and the one on the box is hotsauce. One of us got the wrong part.

You got the wrong part if you ordered the O/S/P configuration. The Performance plate does not come with a SAC system per PTB. My concern is the shorter stack height vs the standard plate.

I actually have an update regarding mine, and I’m interested to see what everyone says. I’ll type it up shortly when I get a break at work.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:06 PM   #192
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Carpet is OEM modded to fit the new set up, that’s the one I got, I also have a performance plate which is the hot sauce I just didn’t install it yet. Waiting to see the outcome of hot sauce situation before I get to it.

25.000km and my set up is withstanding all the abuse so I don’t really have the need besides curiosity
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:18 PM   #193
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Carpet is OEM modded to fit the new set up, that’s the one I got, I also have a performance plate which is the hot sauce I just didn’t install it yet. Waiting to see the outcome of hot sauce situation before I get to it.

25.000km and my set up is withstanding all the abuse so I don’t really have the need besides curiosity
I definitely should've gone standard plate route. He just recommended the performance plate when I told him what I do with it, figured he would know best about his product. But I think we talked about that on IG.

I'm in the process of typing up my update now. Just trying to format it neatly so it's not just a jumbled mess of me whining.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:53 PM   #194
G80_253
Rep

Quote:

Sounds like I need to try and get a refund from PTB for the pressure plate. With all the issues hotsuace is having I guess I can't be that mad I got the wrong part.

Last edited by G80_253; 02-02-2024 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2024, 03:42 PM   #195
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Okay, here's my update!

For those of you that are new to my problems here's the TL;DR

I ordered the O/S/P configuration from PTB. Commnication was great. Got it in the shop for installation, and the clutch wouldn't disengage, and in the process, something caused slave cylinder to overextend. Tried TOB on different setting, would then disengage and drive, but slipped when applying anything more than quarter throttle. PTB goes dark on helping troubleshoot, so I fear the worst. Turns out they've been having some issues that kept them away from the office.....now we're up to date.

Per Kai at PTB, the throwout bearing needs to be on the low setting regardless of the pressure plate configuration. He requested we assembled the clutch outside of the car, set it on a press, and compress the pressure plate 9mm. Check to see if the intermediate disc can be spun freely. If it can be spun, the system is working as it should.

My clutch system passed this test. As a result, Kai said reassemble the car and proceed to the next steps of troubleshooting.

1. Car on the ground, engine off
2. Put the transmission in 1st gear
3. Clutch in, engine on, leave clutch in
4. Rev engine
5. Drive and allow clutch to break in

Shop follows this little list, only to send me a video showing me that with the engine on and clutch pressed in, you cannot shift out of 1st gear while the car is stationary. Shop is (understandably) annoyed, says the clutch does not work in the video. I explain the issue to Kai, he says "send it."

Now, of course the shop is not comfortable driving my car in this state, so they tell me to come by after work and they let me do it.

This is how it felt to drive, and this is what I told Kai after I drove it. After all this, his response is still to continue driving the car, and it will improve. The short drive I did would not have had an impact.

Right off the bat, the car begins to immediately move when you let off the brake, this is to be expected though since we suspect the clutch does not fully disengage. I did stall the car in reverse once, so to me that's a good sign that it's somewhat functioning.

I turn the car off, put it in first, start the car and go on my drive. While in motion, the car feels normal. No slipping, I can accelerate, yay. Now, initially I had issues shifting into higher gears, but as I kept driving, that became easier. I just had to make sure I was shifting with intention, not applying excessive force during shifting. I'm also not riding the gears out super far. I baby the car.

I come up to red light while engine braking all the way down to 2nd gear. While at a stop, I can't put the car in 1st while the engine is running. This means turning the car off and doing that whole process again. But, it drives.

I didn't want to make it too far away from the shop, so I popped a U-turn and headed back. I did notice the upshifts getting ever so slightly better the longer I drove it. No such luck on the downshifts. I left it at the shop overnight and waited for Kai's reply this morning. And I already told you he said to send it.

He basically said that my sinter pad is thick and potentially some burring is causing contact even with the pressure plate is pressed. To correct this, I'm instructed to literally burn this clutch until it begins working. According to him, it will continue to get better and better the more I drive. Honestly, it's unnerving to drive in this state, but he insists it will improve.

I ask what the next steps will be if it does not improve, and he says that at this point I don't really have anything else to lose. I don't fear that I'm putting enough strain on the transmission during shifting, so that should be fine. Realistically, the only thing I risk is completely burning up this $2400 clutch. He says that if it does not improve, it will help narrow down the issue. But, I don't really feel like it's up to me, the customer, to figure that out, ya know? I'm not getting paid for RnD on this product. My only hope is that if it DOES burn up the clutch during this burn in process (that he says needs to happen), he will do that right thing and send me a replacement kit.

So for now, I'm picking the car up this evening and plan to drive it around close proximity to my house over the weekend. And basically go on blind faith that it will improve.

I understand his thought process. I just really don't wanna completely fuck this car. Pay to play<3!

P.S. I've attached a few pictures of the clutch going in. If I can post direct videos, I'll post the videos of the system on a press and the video of the car not shifting out of gear while stationary.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-02-2024, 11:29 PM   #196
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
This is beginning to look more and more suspicious. Everything I've read so far about PTB clutch has beed excellent. Now we have recent customers who may have received incorrectly assembled clutch kits.

Hotcake: you should push PTB to join the forum and shed slight. There are a bunch of us who are planning on buying these clutches in the future and it would only help PTB to be more engaged here...
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2024, 07:31 AM   #197
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This is beginning to look more and more suspicious. Everything I've read so far about PTB clutch has beed excellent. Now we have recent customers who may have received incorrectly assembled clutch kits.

Hotcake: you should push PTB to join the forum and shed slight. There are a bunch of us who are planning on buying these clutches in the future and it would only help PTB to be more engaged here...

I agree, they/he needs to be more engaged with the community.

To be fair, I think the issue with my system is the performance plate. To my knowledge, I’m the only person who has installed the non-standard plate. All those folks have had no issues.

I know a couple of guys have the performance plate sitting around, but they’re following me to see the outcome of all this.

After driving it home yesterday, the shifting has improved; however, when stationary the car still will not go into gear. I drove the car the long way home, roughly 40 miles.

I just really hope PTB cooperates with me on a replacement. I will probably go to the standard plate option, and insist on a refund for the performance plate.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 08:49 AM   #198
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3

Quote:

😄
"Hotcake"
Appreciate 1