Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-23-2022, 03:42 PM   #177
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
Has anyone tried flashing with the wired E-net cord? xHP claims its not supported but my buddy was able to unlock and flash his 2019 G01 X3 M40 with no issues...
This would be awesome if this worked.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 07:17 AM   #178
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
So I sent an email asking why and how this tune is not detectable. Here's the response:

"with a standard diagnostic tool they can't detect it, ZF (and 'MAYBE' BMW HQ) could detect it when they search for it. The TCU contains about half a million lines of code and only some little parts in some of these lines are manipulated. There is something called 'checksum' this is the only thing they look at normally and this is what we know, and adapt it also
To be completely safe, just perform a complete uninstall, what you can do with the app and your TCU is original again.

No the TCU cant log anything by itself."

Then I asked if bmw HQ or ZF could tell after uninstalling the tune:

"The software gets overwritten, so they can't detect it in any way."

Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is if your tranny is toast and ZF and BMW digs into it. But my gut feeling is that they'll be much less keen on spending extra time really digging in on a transmission vs the engine.
Appreciate 1
forcefed2598.00
      07-25-2022, 11:15 AM   #179
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 Comp, 21' X3 M40i

Been rocking my Stage 3 Tune on my M3 Comp RWD for about a month or so now and I absolutely love how the car feels now. I’m on newest 1.2 version as well.
It feels so much better in all aspects.
In paddles, the upshifts and downshifts are amazing.
In D3/auto mode it’s way more enjoyable as well.

Feels like a proper DCT/built one.

In my M2 mode- all sport+, S3 etc.. the downshifts with my exhaust and intake sound so nasty now, in a good way.

100% worth
Appreciate 3
      07-25-2022, 11:17 AM   #180
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklv_m3 View Post
Been rocking my Stage 3 Tune on my M3 Comp RWD for about a month or so now and I absolutely love how the car feels now. I’m on newest 1.2 version as well.

In my M2 mode- all sport+, S3 etc.. the downshifts with my exhaust and intake sound so nasty now, in a good way.

100% worth
Good to hear!

Have you made any adjustments in the custom settings?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #181
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

M4 CSL tune. Do you think if xHP can get their hands on a M4 CSL, they will offer a CSL tune map? like stage 1, 2, 3, and CSL? my car is mainly a track car and i am really hesitant to even consider this, especially stage 3, given how much harder track driving is on vehicle vs driving on the street, but maybe i would be more comfortable in using the BMW made CSL transmission tune.. thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:42 PM   #182
djpapeleta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

Quote:

100% worth
I just did a track day on Saturday with stage 3 and have MST intakes. Man the sound I was getting from the intakes and downshift were amazing. I can't wait to do another track day. This one I did was my first track day and for novices. Next time I go I will do an advance one.
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2050.00
      07-25-2022, 08:59 PM   #183
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpapeleta View Post
I just did a track day on Saturday with stage 3 and have MST intakes. Man the sound I was getting from the intakes and downshift were amazing. I can't wait to do another track day. This one I did was my first track day and for novices. Next time I go I will do an advance one.
Yeah the noises with an intake and full exhaust, the shifts make the car sound so disgustingly good for how quick things are now. Especially the downshifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM4CX View Post
Good to hear!

Have you made any adjustments in the custom settings?
I did not. I went through all of them and didn’t feel any of them were necessary to play around with at this point. The OTS Stage 3 as it is now is perfect in my opinion. Maybe if I’m the future I go for BIG power, I will do custom adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 08:28 AM   #184
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Question for all of you that have flashed this:

Can you do the purchase of the Map Pack & License from any device, then put the software/app on your preferred device?

Reason I ask, I purchased Bimmerlink and Bimmercode through the Google Play store on my Samsung Tablet, but everything else we own is Apple. XHP's website does not seem to be app-based, so I'm assuming once the purchase is done, they email you all you need?

Thanks for any insight!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 08:32 AM   #185
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post

Can you do the purchase of the Map Pack & License from any device, then put the software/app on your preferred device?

Reason I ask, I purchased Bimmerlink and Bimmercode through the Google Play store on my Samsung Tablet, but everything else we own is Apple. XHP's website does not seem to be app-based, so I'm assuming once the purchase is done, they email you all you need?

Thanks for any insight!
There is an xHP app on iOS. When you purchase the bundle, you'll get a license code. All you need to do is enter that into the app.

I'm not confident that the license code can be used more than once (say if you entered it on the Android app and then tried to enter it on the iOS app afterwards).
Appreciate 1
FISH225415.00
      07-27-2022, 08:47 AM   #186
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for any insight!
There is an xHP app on iOS. When you purchase the bundle, you'll get a license code. All you need to do is enter that into the app.

I'm not confident that the license code can be used more than once (say if you entered it on the Android app and then tried to enter it on the iOS app afterwards).
Great to know, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #187
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for any insight!

Once the license is used it’s locked to that device. But after purchase you’re free to pick and choose what you want to use it on first. I did it on my iPhone so it’s always with me.
Appreciate 1
FISH225415.00
      07-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #188
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Quote:
Once the license is used it’s locked to that device. But after purchase you’re free to pick and choose what you want to use it on first. I did it on my iPhone so it’s always with me.
Actually the license is linked to your XHP user account (email/password), you can log into multiple mobile devices with that account, so if you change phones it's not a problem.

However once the license is used it is also locked to your vehicle's VIN so you can only ever use it on your vehicle.
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 1
FISH225415.00
      07-27-2022, 02:22 PM   #189
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
Actually the license is linked to your XHP user account (email/password), you can log into multiple mobile devices with that account, so if you change phones it's not a problem.

However once the license is used it is also locked to your vehicle's VIN so you can only ever use it on your vehicle.
Ahh, I thought it was locked to the device used.
Good to know either way.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 11:39 PM   #190
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just installed this today. Coming from PDK and other DCTs, one of my biggest gripes about the G80 is the ZF trans and the lazy down shifts. With Stage 3, down shifts are much improved and for me, makes for a much more enjoyable experience. Upshifts are a tad rough at times but it's not a deal breaker.

If you're on the fence and not a fan of the stock programming, give this a try. One of my best mods to date on the car (JB4, MST intake, Valvetronic midpipe, MSS HAS).

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 2
FISH225415.00
somer973.50
      07-29-2022, 01:25 AM   #191
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
Just installed this today. Coming from PDK and other DCTs, one of my biggest gripes about the G80 is the ZF trans and the lazy down shifts. With Stage 3, down shifts are much improved and for me, makes for a much more enjoyable experience. Upshifts are a tad rough at times but it's not a deal breaker.

If you're on the fence and not a fan of the stock programming, give this a try. One of my best mods to date on the car (JB4, MST intake, Valvetronic midpipe, MSS HAS).
Remember that when you first flash the xHP, you should 'run it in', for the first 50-75miles before going WOT. A mix of varied driving around town with lots of gear changing and coasting to a stop is ideal.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 07:22 AM   #192
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Remember that when you first flash the xHP, you should 'run it in', for the first 50-75miles before going WOT. A mix of varied driving around town with lots of gear changing and coasting to a stop is ideal.
What's the rationale?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 07:28 AM   #193
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purekoryo View Post
Quote:
Quote:

What's the rationale?
I don't profess to know the ins and outs but I know they do recommend this for transmission adaptation purposes.
Only necessary upon first flash, uninstall or re-flash after uninstall. Flashing between stages/custom settings the adaptation period isn't required.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 02:00 PM   #194
retroviol3t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Jahre - Techno Violet

So I purchased the Kies WiFi ENET adapter to use with xHp and other apps. I now see on the Wiki for connection that the first flash has to be done by DCAN WiFi adapter only for G-series BMW??? Is this correct? I hope not, means I have to drop another almost $100 on an adapter
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 02:06 PM   #195
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froz3n.m View Post
So I purchased the Kies WiFi ENET adapter to use with xHp and other apps. I now see on the Wiki for connection that the first flash has to be done by DCAN WiFi adapter only for G-series BMW??? Is this correct? I hope not, means I have to drop another almost $100 on an adapter
I used a THOR wifi adapter for my initial flash.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2022, 11:19 PM   #196
SammiK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 M3CX

Quote:

Quote:

I would have to agree with being the top mod to-date i have made. stage 3 is a riot. i can't stop smiling.
Appreciate 2
Jon H396.50
Bostro532.50
      07-31-2022, 11:13 AM   #197
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Anyone know if this just updates the EGS ECU only?
Doesn’t update the VTG transmission ECU on xDrive cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #198
retroviol3t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Jahre - Techno Violet

Don't bother with the KIES WiFi adapter... doesn't work. Friend tried on his G80 and would not do the first flash and Kies refuses to take a return without charging for returning.
Appreciate 0