06-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #155
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by q77 View Post
I want to make exactly the same exhaust modifications as you do. Sounds great. Too bad the catless downpipe void the warranty.

Maybe someone from the UK will be interested, he deals with exhaust modifications and made some G80 / 82

https://www.instagram.com/pcw_exhaustmods/
Used him. He is great at exhaust mods. Transformed my M4. However, he is extremely busy and looks like he is booked until December. Should have removed secondary cats as well when I was there. Now have to wait
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:22 PM   #156
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Has anyone seen what Valvetronic has actually done with their mid pipe? They're charging $1,890 for it and aren't actually saying what it is (I assume so people don't just copy). I assume it's just a secondary and resonator delete, but I haven't seen any underside pics. Seems pricey to take a punt on.

Separately- anyone have much experience with probability of failing the visual inspection in Cali with a secondary delete? OBDII will be fine, and would be surprised at how much smog techs actually know or care to look for secondaries, but interested in real world experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #157
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Has anyone seen what Valvetronic has actually done with their mid pipe? They're charging $1,890 for it and aren't actually saying what it is (I assume so people don't just copy). I assume it's just a secondary and resonator delete, but I haven't seen any underside pics. Seems pricey to take a punt on.

Separately- anyone have much experience with probability of failing the visual inspection in Cali with a secondary delete? OBDII will be fine, and would be surprised at how much smog techs actually know or care to look for secondaries, but interested in real world experience.
Valvetronic has seemingly equalized the pipe lengths then merged them at the point of equalization - hence the more traditional 6-cylinder sound vs standard S58 which sound more like S55. It is likely more involved than deleting resonators. That said, a few people on the F8X side have not had a good experience with them so I wouldn't hold my breath for their product.

With regard to CA, you won't have to SMOG for ages so it won't be an issue for you. By the time G8X is required to be SMOG'd there are likely going to be different procedures in place. As it stands now, you'd pass a computer scan without secondary cats but you'll likely fail a visual.
OwnerF16881.50
      06-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #158
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:

You don't have to smog these cars until 2029 so it's a non issue really
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:02 PM   #159
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyng80 View Post
Secondary cats and both resonators deleted w/ H-pipe.
I know you can still control the valves however does it make a significant difference in how loud the exhaust is? That would be so cool if it did.

I would really like to get this done to my G80. There’s a company called psi as some of you know in Orlando that will do it however communicating with them is next to impossible it seems.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 11:14 PM   #160
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
I know you can still control the valves however does it make a significant difference in how loud the exhaust is? That would be so cool if it did.

I would really like to get this done to my G80. There’s a company called psi as some of you know in Orlando that will do it however communicating with them is next to impossible it seems.
Barely noticeable when you use the button to turn the valve on and off at least with my no secondary cat no primary res setup.
      06-25-2021, 12:25 AM   #161
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcity View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I would really like to get this done to my G80. There's a company called psi as some of you know in Orlando that will do it however communicating with them is next to impossible it seems.
Barely noticeable when you use the button to turn the valve on and off at least with my no secondary cat no primary res setup.
So you did secondary cat and front res delete and kept rear res? I'm also interested in this so you can maintain the built in x-pipe in the second res. You happy with the result?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #162
brooklyng80
Rep
Drives: G80 ///M3 Comp

Quote:

I've noticed in efficient mode the car sounds a bit louder than stock, but in sport and sport+ there's a significant difference in loudness and amount of cracks/burbles.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #163
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would really like to get this done to my G80. There's a company called psi as some of you know in Orlando that will do it however communicating with them is next to impossible it seems.
So you did secondary cat and front res delete and kept rear res? I'm also interested in this so you can maintain the built in x-pipe in the second res. You happy with the result?
Please do this and report back
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #164
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yup. Exactly what I did. Really happy.
      06-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #165
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh I though you just did the both resonators and straight pipes, you got videos?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #166
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh I though you just did the both resonators and straight pipes, you got videos?
Working on a vid. Just did secondary cat and primary res. Saving secondary res for later incase I want more sound.
G80BSM283.50
      06-27-2021, 09:39 PM   #167
G80BSM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Working on a vid. Just did secondary cat and primary res. Saving secondary res for later incase I want more sound.
Where are you located in the GTA? I am thinking about doing the same and I would really appreciate if we can meet up sometime to hear your setup.
Cheers!
      06-27-2021, 10:21 PM   #168
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80BSM View Post
Quote:
Where are you located in the GTA? I am thinking about doing the same and I would really appreciate if we can meet up sometime to hear your setup.
Cheers!
Sure thing. I'm by Yonge and Centre.
G80BSM283.50
      06-29-2021, 08:09 AM   #169
luico1188
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 g80

Secondary Cat, both res delete straight pipe. Had to plug the valves back up as it was obnoxiously loud. Still sounds a bit too raspy. Will add secondary Res back on. Here’s a quick sound clip.

Appreciate 1
PLife647.50
      06-29-2021, 08:18 AM   #170
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

And here is my sound clip:

- Sports plus mode
- Secondary cat delete
- Primary Res deleted
- Secondary res NOT deleted

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbl0n18mx0...%2026.mov?dl=0
PLife647.50
HeadDoc26.00
OwnerF16881.50
      06-29-2021, 08:28 AM   #171
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Secondary res removal sounds ok till you hear it back on. Much smoother tone. However id wager airbox mods kick it up a notch and will add turbo whistle
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #172
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLife View Post
Secondary res removal sounds ok till you hear it back on. Much smoother tone. However id wager airbox mods kick it up a notch and will add turbo whistle
What do you mean "until you hear it back on?"

///M
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #173
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by luico1188 View Post
Secondary Cat, both res delete straight pipe. Had to plug the valves back up as it was obnoxiously loud. Still sounds a bit too raspy. Will add secondary Res back on. Here’s a quick sound clip.

Its odd that it sounds more raspy than when both res are removed with an x-pipe. X pipe should give more rasp than a straight pipe.

///M
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #174
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

So what's the general consensus for best sound?

Remove both resonators?

Or

Remove secondary cats and primary resonator?
      06-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #175
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
What do you mean "until you hear it back on?"
Sorry i meant the instagram video sounds good but the pitch sounded even better to my ears in the dropbox vid immediately after it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #176
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
So what's the general consensus for best sound?

Remove both resonators?

Or

Remove secondary cats and primary resonator?
McLaren720s you found a good thread!

I can share my 1 month experience. Went dual resonator, with x pipe. Overall very modest. Sounds nice in sport plus with just the right amount of chatter (burbles etc) — also fun under cold start when valves are open ��
When compared to the H pipe I’ve heard in videos, I can’t tell much of a difference. It would be awesome to see/hear the set ups side by side.

I was very close to returning to pull secondary cat, but have decided this is just right for me at this time with what options are available.

Last edited by mattburks; 06-29-2021 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 1