home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

10-12-2022, 06:18 PM   #155
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Really curious if these ride and "handle" better than something like the MSS HAS which I have installed and currently tracking with.

I would trust BMW to design these better than any aftermarket. Not sure if it's worth switching from the MSS HAS considering the cost.
Wish I could test drive one but it's going to be a tall order to find one locally with these installed.
      10-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #156
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Really curious if these ride and "handle" better than something like the MSS HAS which I have installed and currently tracking with.

I would trust BMW to design these better than any aftermarket. Not sure if it's worth switching from the MSS HAS considering the cost.
Wish I could test drive one but it's going to be a tall order to find one locally with these installed.
I agree, I don't know that it would be worth changing an entire set of springs out for the difference. If I'm not mistaken, the MSS have rear helper springs, which would probably add comfort in a street setting. The M Performance, are like deleting the Comfort suspension setting, and just driving around with the suspension in Sport. A little more harsh, a little bouncier, but, overall very livable.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #157
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
The "Kit" that Get BMW Parts is referring to, is to install the HAS kit like it would be installed at the dealer. For some reason, BMWs installation process requires the BMW tech to disconnect the upper strut, upper control arm, lower control arm, remove the axle nut, and tie rods, disconnect the brakes, and pull the knuckle, with the brakes attached, over to a workbench and complete the assembly that way. The instructions "call for" all of this hardware to be replaced after the assembly is re-installed.

I gave the parts list to my installer, and they ordered everything, and then when it came time to get the springs installed, by my local (Not the dealer) BMW trained technician, that person installed the springs the way they should be installed, by just removing the strut assemblies, and completing the work, that way. Most of the new hardware I ordered, was returned by the shop, to the dealer, as not used. I told them to replace anything that called for one time torque.

The tool (for xDrive only), again, is something the dealer would use in conjunction with the tool that already comes with the spring kit. Not required if you install them, yourself, or have a local shop install them. It's sort of a go-no-go gauge, a spring perch tool. There is a measurement that's taken to determine how far down the strut the spring perch is supposed to be installed. The installer told me, that the spring perch only goes so far on the strut because the strut is already tapered, so, you just slide the spring perch on, do the measurement, and torque the perch down.

The instructions call for the dealer to charge 8 hours for the install, with an additional 4 hours for height adjustment. I was told the total hours charged, by the dealer, would be close to 14, by the time they get everything installed, and measured, road test it, and align it,

The local BMW shop I took it to, took about 6 hours to install it, including the drive, re-adjusting the rear, lower, and the alignment.

It's been a few thousand miles since the install and they have been great. Final height after settling. Looking at the assemblies, when you Jack the car, it appears the springs are all the way to the lowest setting. BMW states the adjustability is 5-20mm. KW being 10-30mm, if I'm not mistaken. (10mm 12mm Macht Schnell spacers are also installed.)
Thanks for responding with this. It clears up the question of the "required hardware" which will be used only in a BMW dealership service center in their over the top disassembly of everything approach. Many of the suspension and steering components on these cars are made of aluminum so the use of Torque To Yield nuts and bolts makes sense.

My reason for installing the kit is to achieve maximum handling performance while on track, and I don't really care about esthetics. I am very concerned with the perfect ride height, so I ran the installation instructions by my Ind. shop today, and also my personal all things track and alignment guru, AKA Yoda. Both had a good laugh at the part about loading up the seats and trunk with weights prior to setting the ride height. They confirmed my suspicion that no one, even including the most OCD BMW service center does this. Yoda wanted to know if I was planning to start track driving with the family in the car. Ride height is set with @ 1/2 a tank of fuel and the driver sitting in the car.

The suspension kit and a set of camber plates are on order.
modat2470.00
      10-13-2022, 08:24 PM   #158
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
Quote:
The "Kit" that Get BMW Parts is referring to, is to install the HAS kit like it would be installed at the dealer. For some reason, BMWs installation process requires the BMW tech to disconnect the upper strut, upper control arm, lower control arm, remove the axle nut, and tie rods, disconnect the brakes, and pull the knuckle, with the brakes attached, over to a workbench and complete the assembly that way. The instructions "call for" all of this hardware to be replaced after the assembly is re-installed.

I gave the parts list to my installer, and they ordered everything, and then when it came time to get the springs installed, by my local (Not the dealer) BMW trained technician, that person installed the springs the way they should be installed, by just removing the strut assemblies, and completing the work, that way. Most of the new hardware I ordered, was returned by the shop, to the dealer, as not used. I told them to replace anything that called for one time torque.

The tool (for xDrive only), again, is something the dealer would use in conjunction with the tool that already comes with the spring kit. Not required if you install them, yourself, or have a local shop install them. It's sort of a go-no-go gauge, a spring perch tool. There is a measurement that's taken to determine how far down the strut the spring perch is supposed to be installed. The installer told me, that the spring perch only goes so far on the strut because the strut is already tapered, so, you just slide the spring perch on, do the measurement, and torque the perch down.

The instructions call for the dealer to charge 8 hours for the install, with an additional 4 hours for height adjustment. I was told the total hours charged, by the dealer, would be close to 14, by the time they get everything installed, and measured, road test it, and align it,

The local BMW shop I took it to, took about 6 hours to install it, including the drive, re-adjusting the rear, lower, and the alignment.

It's been a few thousand miles since the install and they have been great. Final height after settling. Looking at the assemblies, when you Jack the car, it appears the springs are all the way to the lowest setting. BMW states the adjustability is 5-20mm. KW being 10-30mm, if I'm not mistaken. (10mm 12mm Macht Schnell spacers are also installed.)
Thanks for responding with this. It clears up the question of the "required hardware" which will be used only in a BMW dealership service center in their over the top disassembly of everything approach. Many of the suspension and steering components on these cars are made of aluminum so the use of Torque To Yield nuts and bolts makes sense.

My reason for installing the kit is to achieve maximum handling performance while on track, and I don't really care about esthetics. I am very concerned with the perfect ride height, so I ran the installation instructions by my Ind. shop today, and also my personal all things track and alignment guru, AKA Yoda. Both had a good laugh at the part about loading up the seats and trunk with weights prior to setting the ride height. They confirmed my suspicion that no one, even including the most OCD BMW service center does this. Yoda wanted to know if I was planning to start track driving with the family in the car. Ride height is set with @ 1/2 a tank of fuel and the driver sitting in the car.

The suspension kit and a set of camber plates are on order.
This is my alignment spec sheet, after install, if that helps any. No camber plates. Just springs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-15-2022, 11:40 AM   #159
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep
Drives: 2022 Imola Red II G80 M3

Quote:

Looks like they settled pretty well. Looks great.

YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/TheDailyDriven/featured
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 12:24 PM   #160
Bucheeri90
Private
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Quote:
They finally exist. I'm going to take a shot at the fact that I'm probably one of the first people to have them, on hand, in the US, for sure.

I've been in and out of some of the German BMW forums. And from one person, in the Netherlands, that actually had them, installed, already, there is EDC reprogramming calibration, for the stock dampers. Likely to adjust the dampening curve, due to the height of the springs.

Post Edit, based on clarified information:

From previous knowledge of M Performance Suspension Systems.

- It is made by KW based on BMW M Performance spec.
- No coding required on the EDC. Coding is to re-calibrate the headlight aim, which can be done manually.
- Drop wise, not as much as KW HAS or MSS based on installs being completed on previous generation cars.

I will post another update when I get the kit installed, as to how low the actual kit goes. Comparing the thread area on the KW HAS spring collars to the thread count, on this M Performance Kit, you can tell the M Kit has far less threaded area, which would allow for less height adjustability. So, if you are looking for the tucked, hellaflush look, this isn't going to be your kit.

Post updated with the alignment spec sheet, immediately preceding spring install. There will be a final alignment check after I've determined the car has fully settled.

Original fender to bottom lip of rims, front and rear were 657mm front 657mm rear. Front and rear drop, maxed out in the rear at 641mm (unsettled) front can still be dropped more. But 641mm was the lowered measurement.

How is the ride compared to stock car ? Is it stiffer ?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 01:02 PM   #161
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucheeri90 View Post
How is the ride compared to stock car ? Is it stiffer ?
It is. Go out and switch your car to the Sport suspension setting, that's what it feels like all the time, now, in Comfort. Then the actual Sport setting, is only a little more harsh.

I dont drive it in Sport+ suspension, so, I don't have enough suspension time in that mode, to talk about it. Sport+ suspension, was already way too much for the street.

Appreciate 1
      10-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #162
John4C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT

Has anyone who ordered recently had it ship yet? Mine was ordered 10/8 and as far as I can tell hasn't shipped. Not overly concerned, more just curious.

Also, for anyone on the fence, the site now lists 1 unit left in stock.
      10-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #163
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John4C View Post
Has anyone who ordered recently had it ship yet? Mine was ordered 10/8 and as far as I can tell hasn't shipped. Not overly concerned, more just curious.

It does take a while. I think I ordered on the 6th and received them on the 18/19 of July. Like most places, they probably go by how many sets they can get their hands on, that are in stock at the warehouse.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 12:31 PM   #164
JFIV
Save the Manuals
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Base Alpine White

Quote:

I ordered on 10/5 and no shipping information as of yet.
Appreciate 3
John4C870.00
Limegrntaln13705.50
      10-19-2022, 03:17 PM   #165
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

How did we confirm no coding of the stock EDC controller? Just went to make sure- is this in writing from BMW installation instructions?

Not some guy at the dealer lol
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 04:29 PM   #166
khalua80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
How did we confirm no coding of the stock EDC controller? Just went to make sure- is this in writing from BMW installation instructions?

Not some guy at the dealer lol
Yup check page 14
"The retrofit system does not require programming/coding"
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 31305A2D979 Install Instr.pdf (571.7 KB, 76 views)
Appreciate 4
      10-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #167
L33t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFIV View Post
I sent an email asking for an update, I got a reply today that item is out of stock and it might be available in first week of Nov. I ordered the kit on 9th.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13705.50
      10-24-2022, 11:14 AM   #168
John4C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33t View Post
Quote:
I sent an email asking for an update, I got a reply today that item is out of stock and it might be available in first week of Nov. I ordered the kit on 9th.
That's somewhat disappointing. I assume mine is the same. I ordered 10/9. Doesn't really make a difference because I don't have the car yet but regardless, a little odd because it said in stock when I ordered
      10-24-2022, 12:00 PM   #169
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's somewhat disappointing. I assume mine is the same. I ordered 10/9. Doesn't really make a difference because I don't have the car yet but regardless, a little odd because it said in stock when I ordered
Quote:
Quote:
That definitely sucks. If Baum can't get them, they're back ordered with bmw. Unless another shop has them sitting on their shelf, but, I find that "in stock" means they can get it from BMW and BMW has it in stock. Mine came straight from the Dingolfing factory when I ordered mine through BAUM. Maybe someone that has access to BMW ordering system, can tell us when they are expected to be in stock with BMW?

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #170
JFIV
Save the Manuals
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That definitely sucks. If Baum can't get them, they're back ordered with bmw. Unless another shop has them sitting on their shelf, but, I find that "in stock" means they can get it from BMW and BMW has it in stock. Mine came straight from the Dingolfing factory when I ordered mine through BAUM. Maybe someone that has access to BMW ordering system, can tell us when they are expected to be in stock with BMW?
Well it's weird because when I spoke to them in September (before their site restock) they said they will have them back in stock mid to late November.

Either or, I imagine we will get them eventually and the wait is worth the savings
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13705.50
      10-24-2022, 12:58 PM   #171
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well it's weird because when I spoke to them in September (before their site restock) they said they will have them back in stock mid to late November.

Either or, I imagine we will get them eventually and the wait is worth the savings
I think beyond even the savings, if they just don't show them in stock, nobody is going to have them. When I ordered mine, BMW had 70 sets in the system and nobody had ordered them because BMW just dropped the part number and didn't say anything to anyone. I had a friend keeping an eye out for me, and that's how I found them.

I had a tracking number, and he checked again, and there were still 69 sets in the system for about a week after I had mine. Set 68 went to a guy in the Netherlands, and it seems like after I made my post, they were down to 24 sets in a week or two.

I'm wondering if they are now out of stock from the initial 70 sets, or they've actually gone through another round of in stock, and are out for the second time? Hopefully they come quickly. But they're definitely worth it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 09:50 AM   #172
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 xDrive Comp.

So to confirm, if ordering the OEM BMW kit does it come with items G thru L? And are those for setting front and rear springs - or just the rear? Wondering why those wouldn't be needed for most lowering kits from other vendors....

Thanks.

Quote:
These are the fitting instructions, for the G80/ G82 M Performance HAS kit. No special programming is required.

Just posting this here, to add information to the thread for others. See attached PDF for complete instructions The instructions are from the UK, they are the same, but I'm posting this, here, until I get my hands on the US instructions. (PDF doesn't show up if you're viewing on a mobile device)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 10:11 AM   #173
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Tonka View Post
So to confirm, if ordering the OEM BMW kit does it come with items G thru L? And are those for setting front and rear springs - or just the rear? Wondering why those wouldn't be needed for most lowering kits from other vendors....

Thanks.
On getbmwparts.com they refer to hardware kit or no hardware kits...not sure if that's the bolts to be replaced or the parts you reference, but I'd imagine it's the bolts and everything in the instructions is included.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 10:26 AM   #174
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks.

Quote:
These are the fitting instructions, for the G80/ G82 M Performance HAS kit. No special programming is required.

Just posting this here, to add information to the thread for others. [COLOR="Red"]See attached PDF for complete instructions[/COLOR] The instructions are from the UK, they are the same, but I'm posting this, here, until I get my hands on the US instructions. (PDF doesn't show up if you're viewing on a mobile device)
I have no idea what letter "G" is about. The kit isn't available with a 2nd rear spring. The F80 kit did have an additional rear helper spring that came in the box, but there isn't even room for one with this rear spring setup.

H,I, J and K come with the kit, and L isn't needed unless you plan on getting the kit installed at the dealer. H AND L work together to automatically set the spring perch height, but the kit calls for a measurement, and that's what the installer uses. Same as the KW setup, since this is just an M Performance spec, KW HAS Kit, made for BMW by KW.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 12:30 PM   #175
montrokc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 IOMG G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Quote:

Just posting this here, to add information to the thread for others. [COLOR="Red"]See attached PDF for complete instructions[/COLOR] The instructions are from the UK, they are the same, but I'm posting this, here, until I get my hands on the US instructions. (PDF doesn't show up if you're viewing on a mobile device)
I have no idea what letter "G" is about. The kit isn't available with a 2nd rear spring. The F80 kit did have an additional rear helper spring that came in the box, but there isn't even room for one with this rear spring setup.

H,I, J and K come with the kit, and L isn't needed unless you plan on getting the kit installed at the dealer. H AND L work together to automatically set the spring perch height, but the kit calls for a measurement, and that's what the installer uses. Same as the KW setup, since this is just an M Performance spec, KW HAS Kit, made for BMW by KW.
Anyone in the US found if this can be included as a port installed option? I've seen others indicate that it is
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13705.50
      11-01-2022, 01:22 PM   #176
JFIV
Save the Manuals
Rep

I know I said I was in no rush but mine still hasn't shipped lol.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13705.50