BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-22-2023, 03:02 PM   #111
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
So if you owned a Ferrari or a GT3 the rock chips would bother you? Why only then would they bother you?

Everyone is different. Some of us hate seeing that on our cars and some don’t. It’s great we all have the options to best suit our needs, wants, desires.

🤷🏻‍♂️
Sure is. I gave my opinion and you felt the need to respond. To answer your question yes it would be different TO ME. Our cars are easily obtainable mass produced vehicles. Every day drivers if you will. Ferraris, GT3s, take your pic not so much. Those cars are worth a ton more especially in pristine condition. Ours? Nope. Doesn’t make a bit of difference. Depreciation regardless.

Big difference 🤷‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 03:41 PM   #112
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Ok. Do you wash you car? If so, why?
Wash Yes Waste thousands on Saran Wrap. Nope not this time. Been there done that
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 04:21 PM   #113
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82///M4 View Post
Wash Yes Waste thousands on Saran Wrap. Nope not this time. Been there done that
We get it. You think it’s a waste of money. But some (many, most) of us ppf the car to keep it looking good why we own it. We (and I suspect you also), wash it for the same reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 04:52 PM   #114
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

First time I have not done PPF.

Front has small chips after 15000 miles

I’ll have this corrected then add the PPF
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3595.50
      04-22-2023, 05:56 PM   #115
Anderson11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp

I live in a rural area with well maintained roads that are lightly traveled. There was no way I was going to spend 2K for a full front with Epel locally. I had a 2021 M2C that I traded in with 13k and there were 2 really small paint chips on the bumper. Granted it was Hockenheim Silver Metallic that hid them well. Flash forward 2 days after delivery of my G82 and I have a small chips one on the hood and one on the A Pillar. Have an appointment booked locally for a full front wrap with Expel. Much to my dismay Dravit Grey is not a good camouflage for rock chips.
JDUNITNOW3595.50
      04-22-2023, 06:18 PM   #116
randomjohn
Rep
Drives: C43

Reading this thread I was thinking about getting full PPF.

However by the time I had some free time to visit a shop I had to travel few hundred miles with my M4 and unfortunately went through a pouring rain storm. The front end has already gotten countless chips.

And there’s even more. A week ago my family had been hectic and one of us accidentally closed the garage door while my car wasn’t fully backed in. (I came back from somewhere and was planning to go out again soon so kept it open) The garage door’s sensor didn’t work, and it scratched the \ / shaped part right below emblem. It’s my fault not fully backing in so I don’t blame anyone, what’s done is done.

Now my M4’s front end is already “messed-up”. Ironically I’m no longer planning to PPF as it’s not gonna revert its state.

Perhaps I’m just trying to convince myself, but indeed I don’t feel too bad. Don’t get me wrong this is my first brand new car and it’s a treasure. But I will DD it a lot, and I feel that the more I be OCD the more I will agonize about little chips or any imperfections. And come to think of that, we don’t see the front of our car while we are behind the wheel. Which is the most valuable time with my car imo.

I guess I’ll get PPF when I can buy a lambo 10 or 20 years later…lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 06:21 PM   #117
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Dude you buy new cars and trade them in after 3 years. Spare me the lecture on what wasting thousands of dollars is. PPF is not about value, it's about not wanting to drive around with a car that looks like a piece of shit. Nobody is trying to get their money back on their PPF. Some people take pride in maintaining and caring for their cars paint, you obviously don't. How hard is that to understand? For some people a brand new M3 might as well be a Ferrari, for you it's clearly a Corolla. I'm happy you're that privileged. Move on.
Appreciate 3
wazzza871.50
JDUNITNOW3595.50
      04-22-2023, 06:36 PM   #118
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Dude you buy new cars and trade them in after 3 years. Spare me the lecture on what wasting thousands of dollars is. PPF is not about value, it's about not wanting to drive around with a car that looks like a piece of shit. Nobody is trying to get their money back on their PPF. Some people take pride in maintaining and caring for their cars paint, you obviously don't. How hard is that to understand? For some people a brand new M3 might as well be a Ferrari, for you it's clearly a Corolla. I'm happy you're that privileged. Move on.
Ditto buddy ditto. You responded to me. Buh Bye
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 06:43 PM   #119
BryanCO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomjohn View Post
Reading this thread I was thinking about getting full PPF.

However by the time I had some free time to visit a shop I had to travel few hundred miles with my M4 and unfortunately went through a pouring rain storm. The front end has already gotten countless chips.

And there’s even more. A week ago my family had been hectic and one of us accidentally closed the garage door while my car wasn’t fully backed in. (I came back from somewhere and was planning to go out again soon so kept it open) The garage door’s sensor didn’t work, and it scratched the \ / shaped part right below emblem. It’s my fault not fully backing in so I don’t blame anyone, what’s done is done.

Now my M4’s front end is already “messed-up”. Ironically I’m no longer planning to PPF as it’s not gonna revert its state.

Perhaps I’m just trying to convince myself, but indeed I don’t feel too bad. Don’t get me wrong this is my first brand new car and it’s a treasure. But I will DD it a lot, and I feel that the more I be OCD the more I will agonize about little chips or any imperfections. And come to think of that, we don’t see the front of our car while we are behind the wheel. Which is the most valuable time with my car imo.

I guess I’ll get PPF when I can buy a lambo 10 or 20 years later…lol
Bummer

I bought a new bike last Oct. Had it delivered to my house, put on painters tape and rode it to my ppf shop which is about 75 miles from me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 07:14 PM   #120
randomjohn
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Bummer

I bought a new bike last Oct. Had it delivered to my house, put on painters tape and rode it to my ppf shop which is about 75 miles from me.
That’s smart…I don’t know much about bikes but that looks cool!!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:01 PM   #121
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

I’m currently breaking in my FBG CSL after which my plan is to PPF the gloss black areas of the front grill and side skirts, then have the entire car ceramic coated.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:25 PM   #122
GolfR17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Found some weird “scratches” this morning on my fender just behind the wheel and drivers door. I had recently done some spirited driving on mountain roads with more gravel than I would have liked. Not sure if that’s where it came from. Whatever it was, I was able to buff out with a soft cloth. I have expel stealth over frozen Portimao blue. I have mixed feelings about the wrap. Plus side ease of mind and easy to wash, was grateful for it this morning. Minus was expensive and I think changes the car a tiny bit. Hard to put my finger on it, objectively very very similar and still looks great. In the end I would do again, but wouldn’t scold anyone who didn’t. Maybe time for me to try out some mud flaps
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 11:19 PM   #123
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Bummer

Very nice. Me too; last January 2022
Attached Images

Last edited by 2011ninja; 04-22-2023 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 02:45 AM   #124
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Maybe we get different gravel and road junk in the uk but my ppf hasn’t stopped stone chips. Maybe it’s reduced low speed ones but no chance on the motorway.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 05:21 PM   #125
BryanCO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Very nice. Me too; last January 2022
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:18 PM   #126
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
No.
I have a 07 GT3RS that the prior owner did full PPF. I hate it!!! No way to polish it.
I would remove it but I’m afraid the paint will come off with it. It looks horrible especially with Poloarized sun glasses.
Give me some normal surface imperfections any day.
My M4 is new to me for two weeks. I’ve been through 4 automated car washes.
It’s a BMW not a Lamborghini. 🤣
Why would you polish it?
You ceramic the ppf and you’re done.

Stays shiny for basically forever with minimal maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:22 PM   #127
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
What are folks paying on avg for PPF just on front bumper and hood?
I think a full front is about $2k, but I just do full ppf and ceramic on my cars, about $7-8k.

Worth it to me.
It’s expensive, but they are always looking good the whole time I have them. Yes, the ppf does get chipped, but it’s easy to fix that versus the paint or god forbid a headlight at
$$$$$mfckx$666!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:25 PM   #128
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sure is. I gave my opinion and you felt the need to respond. To answer your question yes it would be different TO ME. Our cars are easily obtainable mass produced vehicles. Every day drivers if you will. Ferraris, GT3s, take your pic not so much. Those cars are worth a ton more especially in pristine condition. Ours? Nope. Doesn’t make a bit of difference. Depreciation regardless.

Big difference 🤷‍♂️
Just based on that, if it is hard to source then you can see ppf?

How about a base cayman/boxster.
Those are pretty rare in all honesty, but not expensive comparatively.

Just saying that the logic isn’t quite holding up. The reason people ppf is because they care, if you don’t care, don’t ppf.
Simple.

Price or relative scarcity doesn’t seem to be the thing to focus on.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 09:08 PM   #129
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Just based on that, if it is hard to source then you can see ppf?

How about a base cayman/boxster.
Those are pretty rare in all honesty, but not expensive comparatively.

Just saying that the logic isn’t quite holding up. The reason people ppf is because they care, if you don’t care, don’t ppf.
Simple.

Price or relative scarcity doesn’t seem to be the thing to focus on.
Base cayman and boxsters are definitely not rare. Maybe in Kansas but certainly not by me in NY. So the $7-8K you just posted you
Spend on a car that will be gone in few years is sound logic? Sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 09:20 PM   #130
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Base cayman and boxsters are definitely not rare. Maybe in Kansas but certainly not by me in NY. So the $7-8K you just posted you
Spend on a car that will be gone in few years is sound logic? Sure.
What’s a rare car to you?

No idea what you are upset about, or what Kansas… or really the last half of your post even means.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 10:24 PM   #131
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
What’s a rare car to you?

No idea what you are upset about, or what Kansas… or really the last half of your post even means.
I’m not upset at all. Everyone that doesn’t agree with my take is butt hurt 🤷‍♂️. No worries. As I posted originally. I wasted $2k on Saran wrapping my current F82 and won’t do it again. Simple as that. “Regular” Porsches are a dime a dozen around these parts. Comprende?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 10:28 PM   #132
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I’m not upset at all. Everyone that doesn’t agree with my take is butt hurt 🤷‍♂️. No worries. As I posted originally. I wasted $2k on Saran wrapping my current F82 and won’t do it again. Simple as that. “Regular” Porsches are a dime a dozen around these parts. Comprende?
“I’m not upset. Everyone that doesn’t agree with me is butt hurt.”

Indeed.

So, what’s a rare car then that you would Saran Wrap?
Appreciate 0