Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

01-10-2023, 07:14 PM   #111
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I have taken my bumper off and on about 50 times now trying to adjust this and that and it WILL NOT FIT. If I take the top part of the foam bumper off, it sits fine. I've tried cutting the left and right of the center section (like in the vorsteiner video), but that doesn't seem to be enough as I can only line up the top of the bumper, or the bottom because there is pressure in the center it seems. All I've done is manage to scratch up my headlights.
I went for it. Just trimmed that entire center section of the top foam. It now fits. Complete joke how knowing this is magically expected of the customer/shop.
M4Tejas846.00
      01-11-2023, 07:06 AM   #112
997CABOVA
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

Quote:
I went for it. Just trimmed that entire center section of the top foam. It now fits. Complete joke how knowing this is magically expected of the customer/shop.
Wow so wait I thought when you had the pic of the bumper on the car it fit??
      01-11-2023, 08:51 AM   #113
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997CABOVA View Post
Wow so wait I thought when you had the pic of the bumper on the car it fit??
So did I, but I didn't have it fully buttoned up. When I went to screw everything in is when I had the issues. I spent an embarrassing amount of time taking the bumper on and off because I trlmmed everything according to the video and pictures im the thread. I even test fit the foam to the bumper cover when it was off the car. All seemed good...but alas it wasn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 10:06 AM   #114
997CABOVA
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

Quote:
So did I, but I didn't have it fully buttoned up. When I went to screw everything in is when I had the issues. I spent an embarrassing amount of time taking the bumper on and off because I trlmmed everything according to the video and pictures im the thread. I even test fit the foam to the bumper cover when it was off the car. All seemed good...but alas it wasn't.
Wow thats crazy man and I see you dont have ACC. Is the fitment really this bad???
      01-11-2023, 10:08 AM   #115
mattssi
Major
Rep

I can only speak for myself. The fitment of the grille itself is nice, but I wish I had known how much of the foam I needed to cut. I wish they would have just accounted for it in the design so that you didn't have to modify the foam, but oh well. I have such a love/hate relationship with modding.
venox22133.50
M4Tejas846.00
      01-19-2023, 06:03 PM   #116
venox22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

Thanks for the tip - will give this ago next week!

Quote:
I just received my replacement grille from V today. The sensor bracket snapped when trying to install the sensors on the first one. And that was with me being careful. But I'm very happy that they worked with me and were willing to exchange it...

The V grill quality, albeit pretty good, is not OEM. The brackets (locator pins too) are much more sturdy on the OEM piece. The brackets seem to be one with the grille as opposed to added on and spot-welded in two areas like the V grille. The result is two very weak joints. You MUST press the sensors in with even pressure so that both bracket tabs widen equally and then snap over the sensor (say, if you tried to unplug the sensor harness while leaving the sensor installed in the grille). Any uneven pressure is really risking it. Same with sensor removal, you must press both tabs outwards while pressing the sensor back out.

So, what I HIGHLY recommend doing is run some standard jbweld (the 15 hour set time one) along the outer ring of the bracket and along the two plastic spot welds of the bracket BEFORE you get to installing the unit. This stuff is STRONG and definitely works. It's a simple step that could prevent some frustration and long delays during install time.

Appreciate 1
M4Tejas846.00
      01-21-2023, 12:13 AM   #117
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by venox22 View Post
Thanks for the tip - will give this ago next week!

Let us know how it went and if you had to trim that whole center section of foam.

Whatever you do, careful with the sensor clips - they are the weakest part of that thing. I still managed to crack one of mine a tiny bit where the tabs of the sensor clip in. It's crazy how much stronger the OEM unit is.
      01-23-2023, 04:42 PM   #118
venox22
Private First Class
Rep

Epoxy on the sensor clips drying as I type! Grille will be fitted in the morning

Quick question, did you have to order a new M badge? Or can you get the one of the original grille with wire and a pry tool?

Quote:
Let us know how it went and if you had to trim that whole center section of foam.

Whatever you do, careful with the sensor clips - they are the weakest part of that thing. I still managed to crack one of mine a tiny bit where the tabs of the sensor clip in. It's crazy how much stronger the OEM unit is.
Appreciate 1
mattssi882.00
      01-23-2023, 04:55 PM   #119
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Epoxy on the sensor clips drying as I type! Grille will be fitted in the morning

Quick question, did you have to order a new M badge? Or can you get the one of the original grille with wire and a pry tool?
In the end it cost me more, but it was a learning experience I guess.

I wanted to do it myself and save a few bucks, so I ordered the side vent w/ the M3 logo ($35), peeled it off. Ordered some 3M emblem tape and an X-acto knife but could not get the tape to be perfect. It was very difficult to cut it exactly right. I didn't want to see the tape from the front at all, but I wanted it to basically fill the entire back side of the emblem similar to what you would expect from the factory.

Mission failed. I easily could have cut some tape in pieces and put it on there and called it a day, but I have issues apparently

In the end, I paid IND $90 for a stupid logo, but that thing came packaged like a tank, with very thin 3M tape on the back that fit exactly how I was trying to make it.

If you're anal like I am, that is the way to do it. I like doing things myself, but I just couldn't DIY to the standard I wanted without cost getting out of hand.

This photo is a little misleading due to the lighting/reflecftions, but the logo fits perfectly. The only thing that bugs me a bit now is the bumper foam which is visible/noticeable in direct light. Otherwise, it look bad ass.

01-23-2023, 04:59 PM   #120
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:

Oh, you can def take the logo off the old grille with about 3 seconds of heat gun and a pry tool. I just wanted to easily revert to stock if needed.
      01-23-2023, 05:07 PM   #121
venox22
Private First Class
Rep

Excellent, thanks for the help! I'll post my progress tomorrow!

Quote:
In the end it cost me more, but it was a learning experience I guess.

I wanted to do it myself and save a few bucks, so I ordered the side vent w/ the M3 logo ($35), peeled it off. Ordered some 3M emblem tape and an X-acto knife but could not get the tape to be perfect. It was very difficult to cut it exactly right. I didn't want to see the tape from the front at all, but I wanted it to basically fill the entire back side of the emblem similar to what you would expect from the factory.

Mission failed. I easily could have cut some tape in pieces and put it on there and called it a day, but I have issues apparently

In the end, I paid IND $90 for a stupid logo, but that thing came packaged like a tank, with very thin 3M tape on the back that fit exactly how I was trying to make it.

If you're anal like I am, that is the way to do it. I like doing things myself, but I just couldn't DIY to the standard I wanted without cost getting out of hand.

This photo is a little misleading due to the lighting/reflecftions, but the logo fits perfectly. The only thing that bugs me a bit now is the bumper foam which is visible/noticeable in direct light. Otherwise, it look bad ass.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 05:11 PM   #122
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Excellent, thanks for the help! I'll post my progress tomorrow!
Good luck!

One last word of advice. You can't over tape/protect things. It'll probably be overkill, but worth it.

I only taped part of my headlights, but I had taken off/put on the bumper about 30 times in my frustration with the grille/foam fitment I managed to get lazy and the metal clips on the top of the bumper managed to scratch both headlights. So, I have to get those polished out.

What a journey!
      01-23-2023, 05:22 PM   #123
venox22
Private First Class
Rep

Haha got it!

But its worth it, yours looks wayyy better now its finished! Hopefully this will be the last piece that stops me being slightly annoyed by the way my M4 looks...

Quote:
Good luck!

One last word of advice. You can't over tape/protect things. It'll probably be overkill, but worth it.

I only taped part of my headlights, but I had taken off/put on the bumper about 30 times in my frustration with the grille/foam fitment I managed to get lazy and the metal clips on the top of the bumper managed to scratch both headlights. So, I have to get those polished out.

What a journey!
Appreciate 1
mattssi882.00
      01-23-2023, 06:36 PM   #124
mattssi
Major
Rep

I should write a grille install blog the way I keep remembering things I should relay.

Another tip.

Most people just undo a few fender screws and fold the liner back in order to finagle a socket set in to remove the 2 bolts from each side of the bumper. I've done that before, and it does work, but you scrape up the back of your hand and its kind of a PITA. This time, I removed the wheels and removed the front fender well plastic. It was SO much easier to then remove the two bolts that hold the bumper on. Not only that, the plugs are super easy to then remove. Its also a great time to do the halo light mod if you're into that thing since you have access to so much with that portion of the liner removed.

Its extra time, yes. But it was nice to not fight for access to the screws. Plus, its a great opportunity to shine up the wheel well and wheels.
khalua80769.50
      01-24-2023, 05:50 PM   #125
khalua80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Quote:
I should write a grille install blog the way I keep remembering things I should relay.

Another tip.

Most people just undo a few fender screws and fold the liner back in order to finagle a socket set in to remove the 2 bolts from each side of the bumper. I've done that before, and it does work, but you scrape up the back of your hand and its kind of a PITA. This time, I removed the wheels and removed the front fender well plastic. It was SO much easier to then remove the two bolts that hold the bumper on. Not only that, the plugs are super easy to then remove. Its also a great time to do the halo light mod if you're into that thing since you have access to so much with that portion of the liner removed.

Its extra time, yes. But it was nice to not fight for access to the screws. Plus, its a great opportunity to shine up the wheel well and wheels.
Absolutely!! I learned this after pulling my bumper twice. 3rd time I removed the liners and will do so every time now.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 06:09 PM   #126
venox22
Private First Class
Rep

Installed, no dramas aside from what's already been mentioned (and its not really drama)

Picture isn't the best, I'll get some more tomorrow but looks a lot better in my option, looks more like an M car and what this car should come with in my opinion. Still not content, maybe I need to add the ducts or the MP splitter...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M4Tejas846.00
      01-24-2023, 07:20 PM   #127
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Installed, no dramas aside from what's already been mentioned (and its not really drama)

Picture isn't the best, I'll get some more tomorrow but looks a lot better in my option, looks more like an M car and what this car should come with in my opinion. Still not content, maybe I need to add the ducts or the MP splitter...

Nice work!

I assume you cut that entire center foam section?

And yes, ducts make almost just as much of a difference. Should definitely come with them from the factory.
      01-25-2023, 09:25 AM   #128
venox22
Private First Class
Rep

No I just did it as per the Vorsteiner video to start with and see....and didn't need to remove anymore.

Only thing after looking in better light this morning, the gap from the top of the bumper to the hood is a little too big, so guess I need to do some re-adjusting (and hope I don't need to remove again) Did you struggle to get the gap to the hood right?

Quote:
Nice work!

I assume you cut that entire center foam section?

And yes, ducts make almost just as much of a difference. Should definitely come with them from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 09:28 AM   #129
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:
No I just did it as per the Vorsteiner video to start with and see....and didn't need to remove anymore.

Only thing after looking in better light this morning, the gap from the top of the bumper to the hood is a little too big, so guess I need to do some re-adjusting (and hope I don't need to remove again) Did you struggle to get the gap to the hood right?
I don't understand how you got yours bolted up! I was messaging with Matt @ Obsessed Garage and he had the same issue on his M3. He ended up removing the top half of the foam bar itself.

I could only do left or right, too or bottom because the foam prevented good fitment.

Once trimmed the bumper sat nicely - no issues with gap or anything.

Wonder if different trimming is needed for M3 vs M4

Last edited by mattssi; 01-25-2023 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 09:59 AM   #130
venox22
Private First Class
Rep

Hmm interesting, I removed about 2inches in terms of width and was fine! Possibly an M4 vM3 thing, but id assume everything would be the same?!

I need to sort the gap out, so I'll investigate more!

I think I need the CF ducts now or the Alpha N splitters to make the look perfect though...

Quote:
I don't understand how you got yours bolted up! I was messaging with Matt @ Obsessed Garage and he had the same issue on his M3. He ended up removing the top half of the foam bar itself.

I could only do left or right, too or bottom because the foam prevented good fitment.

One trimmed the bumper sat nicely - no issues with gap or anything.

Wonder if different trimming is needed for M3 vs M4
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 10:58 AM   #131
mattssi
Major
Rep

Wow, V dropped the price on this grill pretty significantly. About time. Used to be $899, now $599, but on sale for $509. Pretty sweet.
      12-09-2023, 01:25 PM   #132
Fugazii
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82/2022

When I saw the price I already knew the look justifies it "BASIC".

Last edited by Fugazii; 12-09-2023 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0