Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-20-2024, 02:12 PM   #45
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenBlueG82 View Post
I’ve cleared it a few times now but it comes back each time after about 5-10 miles.

Normally it wouldn’t bother me, but you can’t remote start with a CEL, which is annoying.
Have you read the code that doesn't sound like an emissions issue. You could have a broken or unplugged sensor.

It should take at least 40 miles and sometimes two drive cycles to get a cel .
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2430.50
      05-08-2024, 04:40 PM   #46
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

So concensus is that the supplied single washer is enough to clear the o2 sensor in the mini cat?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 09:21 PM   #47
530bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
So concensus is that the supplied single washer is enough to clear the o2 sensor in the mini cat?
Def not enough, buy this

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...009/730544_0_0

Im attaching a picture that shows the washer bigdaddies provides. In the picture the o2 sensor is hand threaded on not even slightly tight and I can feel the sensor hitting the honeycomb. after I bought the new spacer, the sensor did not touch.

Sidenote, the BDG minicat did not help. I still have a CEL light. I even tried pairing the miniact with the 90 degree spacer. I'm over it, will probably go back to stock cats.

Also I have no idea how people are clearing the lower pipe o2 sensor with just the minicat. The minicat extends the sensor out so far the I think its touching the trans(or whatever is in that spot). (second picture showing that)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 01:13 PM   #48
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530bimmer View Post
Def not enough, buy this

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...009/730544_0_0

Im attaching a picture that shows the washer bigdaddies provides. In the picture the o2 sensor is hand threaded on not even slightly tight and I can feel the sensor hitting the honeycomb. after I bought the new spacer, the sensor did not touch.

Sidenote, the BDG minicat did not help. I still have a CEL light. I even tried pairing the miniact with the 90 degree spacer. I'm over it, will probably go back to stock cats.

Also I have no idea how people are clearing the lower pipe o2 sensor with just the minicat. The minicat extends the sensor out so far the I think its touching the trans(or whatever is in that spot). (second picture showing that)
What code did you receive ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 07:52 PM   #49
530bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
What code did you receive ?
P014A
P013E
Attached Images

Last edited by 530bimmer; Yesterday at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #50
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530bimmer View Post

P014A
P013E
The spacer is not allowing enough flow to the sensor for it to record data. Adding a 90 degree is making the situation worse.
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2430.50
      Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #51
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
The spacer is not allowing enough flow to the sensor for it to record data. Adding a 90 degree is making the situation worse.
It crossed my mind when I saw the addition of Autozone spacers. I (and many others) have the mini-cats on straight DP and not a CEL in 4.8k miles. It's likely the sensor is in contact with the honeycomb - even when I used the extra washer provided, I never checked that close but hasn't been a problem. Please do not assume you have to solve for that small interference beyond the extra washer. Lastly, I do not recall any interference with trans - that must be due to the Autozone spacers.

No one has cracked the code on why some cars throw CEL and some don't. I am sure it is a wide mix of installation error - mini-cats in wrong position, wiring in wrong position - low cell race cats not playing nice with the solution selected (spacer only vs mini-cat) - or other yet to be identified variation. Full tune is the only fool-proof solution. Anecdotally, the large majority do not have an issue but there is no data to confirm.

Last edited by Hit_Apex; Yesterday at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0