BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-14-2023, 01:13 PM   #45
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy85 View Post
Yea I checked all of that the system is turned off etc. but it still feels like the wheel corrects ever so slightly. I will definitely bring it up during my 1200 mile service, btw I already cracked 500 miles, I’m so happy with it.
I had the same issue. I don't know how I turned it on but the only way I could see at the moment to deactivate it was to go into the information display settings. Don't ask me where because I can never find something a second time.

My issue now is that I cannot seem to activate the lane departure again. Lots of things work once but I cannot seem to find out how to get to them to work again. For example I did something and got the audible speed limit warning... but cannot find how to do it again.

Really wish there more videos on the idrive 8 tech that would go into detail. Everything I find is not for the M car or is just an overview.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 05:18 PM   #46
Matenza
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp xDrive (g80)

Sound: Something must be off with my m3 or I am off, have been driving a Tesla for the past 6 Months.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 09:55 AM   #47
Matenza
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Update to my issue: I think I might have made an amateur mistake. I drove the car today for 180kms through the Black Forest. Made me smile. Couldn’t push it far enough to break traction, my mind says no way before the capabilities of the machine end. What did I do to solve my traction problems?

I inflated the tires to 2,5bar.
Just before anyone thinks I am an absolute idiot: the pressures have been set last week at the dealership, when we still had summer temps, I received the car on Saturday, the first day temps dropped to Autumn temps. Of course my first thing was rolling out of the showroom to give it a blast down the B roads and thus experiencing what I have been experiencing. When looking through the menu I discovered that the tire pressures were at 2.0.

It seems like it fixed all my problems.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
bri10426127.00
Needsdecaf6948.00
2011ninja3420.00
gnx759.50
      10-16-2023, 01:34 PM   #48
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Haha. Everyone has made that mistake at one point or time. Cheapest and easiest fix around.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 09:21 PM   #49
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matenza View Post
Update to my issue: I think I might have made an amateur mistake. I drove the car today for 180kms through the Black Forest. Made me smile. Couldn’t push it far enough to break traction, my mind says no way before the capabilities of the machine end. What did I do to solve my traction problems?

I inflated the tires to 2,5bar.
Just before anyone thinks I am an absolute idiot: the pressures have been set last week at the dealership, when we still had summer temps, I received the car on Saturday, the first day temps dropped to Autumn temps. Of course my first thing was rolling out of the showroom to give it a blast down the B roads and thus experiencing what I have been experiencing. When looking through the menu I discovered that the tire pressures were at 2.0.

It seems like it fixed all my problems.
What was the pressure before? I initially had mine set at 2.5 bar- 36 psi on 20 inch all around but reduced to 33 front and 34 rear psi.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 11:41 PM   #50
Matenza
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

According to the car it was 2.0.
According to the compressor 1.9.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 12:55 AM   #51
christianb5s4
Captain
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Out of curiosity, how many people ordered a G8X without test driving it first?
Appreciate 3
mirob3254.00
zipsjr38.00
      10-17-2023, 02:08 AM   #52
nu2M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Competition xDriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
I didn't test drive the last three new cars, including the G80, that I've ordered/purchased mainly because there were no cars available to test drive.
Appreciate 2
zipsjr38.00
      10-17-2023, 03:07 AM   #53
Jobe10
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
I drove it on a test drive today.

Biggest downsides to me are the ride quality and the integration of tech in the infotainment system.

I'm sure once you configure the car it would be easy to find what you need but whew there is a lot in the latest idrive. The car had basically the same equipment level as our Q7 but I wouldn't want to be digging through the menus to find something while driving. Not thrilled with the haptic feedback buttons around the shifter. I wish they were real buttons.

The car still has the same ride & handling characteristics of the f80. I was hoping they softened it down and increased the rear traction but that doesn't seem to have happened. The car still has way too much low speed damping and transmits too much vertical motion to the driver. I understand they need to get the lap time out of the car but they're ruining it as a road car IMO. Comfort mode should have more compliance. Like the f80 the car still feels like it doesn't have good rear end traction even at neutral throttle (based on quick street driving, maybe it's ok on different tires or on a grippy surface?).

Neutral, the auto gearbox feels fine under 4000rpm shifts. Redline shifts it's definitely missing something from the DCT. I'm sure the shift is just as fast but it doesn't have the same instant response of DCT. I wish they had kept the DCT but oh well, I can live with the auto box.

Power & engine seem great. Interior quality is fantastic. Seats are perfect. It's perfect size for me and I even like how it sounds.

I think it looks good overall. I particularly like the rear and rear 3/4 view. The car is very aggressive, it was parked up next to my e92 and f80 CS and no doubt the G80 is more aggressive looking vehicle.

The matte grey is a fantastic color. I think that's what I would order.

I tried the carbon seats, they're awesome but ingress/egress is pretty tough. Feels like the bolster will show wear pretty fast as you're sitting on it to comfortably get out and in.

I will probably buy one. Car has character despite its flaws. I think it will be a good road car. I like how bmw has done the base spec and limited option packages. Pricing, while expensive, seems great compared to competitors.

Past cars for background: e36 m3, e46 m3, mz3 roadster, mz4 coupe, rs4, e92 m3.
If you want a more comfortable ride you need to buy an M340i.
I would hate it if they would make even more compromises for the road. It's a true M car. It has to feel like that!

I also don't understand what you are talking about with the rear traction. It's far superior and a lot of reviewers even said they thought they were driving the X drive when it was the RWD. I bouht the RWD because it's just so good!
Appreciate 2
natmad674.50
JDUNITNOW3595.50
      10-17-2023, 06:46 AM   #54
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Not only did I not test drive one but I didn't even see one in person - G80.
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2023, 08:09 AM   #55
zipsjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [10.00]
My last 3 cars, Giulia Quadrifoglio, X5M, and the M3 on order all were test driven and bought online site unseen. When you get a nice car I just thought, how bad could it be that this incredible car sucks?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 09:15 AM   #56
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe10 View Post
If you want a more comfortable ride you need to buy an M340i.
I would hate it if they would make even more compromises for the road. It's a true M car. It has to feel like that!

I also don't understand what you are talking about with the rear traction. It's far superior and a lot of reviewers even said they thought they were driving the X drive when it was the RWD. I bouht the RWD because it's just so good!
Surely they've already bought something in the 2.5 years it's been since they posted this
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 09:19 AM   #57
Jobe10
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Surely they've already bought something in the 2.5 years it's been since they posted this
I didn't restart this topic and I also didn't look at the date this first opened. Still I can give my opinion about something. Doesn't matter how long it's been.
Appreciate 1
natmad674.50
      10-17-2023, 09:22 AM   #58
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe10 View Post
I didn't restart this topic and I also didn't look at the date this first opened. Still I can give my opinion about something. Doesn't matter how long it's been.
I'm not saying you can't, just giving you a hint next time to check it before posting, so you don't waste your own time. It's not even when it was first opened, the comment you replied to specifically is over 2.5 years ago. It's basic forum etiquette.
Appreciate 2
Jobe10184.00
natmad674.50
      10-17-2023, 10:15 AM   #59
Jobe10
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I'm not saying you can't, just giving you a hint next time to check it before posting, so you don't waste your own time. It's not even when it was first opened, the comment you replied to specifically is over 2.5 years ago. It's basic forum etiquette.
I will keep that in mind for next time.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 12:01 PM   #60
christianb5s4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2M View Post
I didn't test drive the last three new cars, including the G80, that I've ordered/purchased mainly because there were no cars available to test drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Not only did I not test drive one but I didn't even see one in person - G80.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipsjr View Post
My last 3 cars, Giulia Quadrifoglio, X5M, and the M3 on order all were test driven and bought online site unseen. When you get a nice car I just thought, how bad could it be that this incredible car sucks?
That was my dilemma, I couldn't find one anywhere close to test drive. One local dealer had one and wouldn't even allow for a test drive.

Guess it's a bit of a gamble, but glad I'm not the only one.
      10-17-2023, 12:22 PM   #61
2legit
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I have both the F80 and xdrive G80. F80 has KW DDS suspension(better than stock) and G80 is on M-performance suspension. I prefer the F80 overall despite traction problems. It feels light. G80 Feels heavy and too wide. I like G80 engine over F80 and the extra traction with xdrive. However, F80 is more fun to drive and edges me to drive more spiritedly even when losing control. I have had the G80 for 6 months and still cant get used to its size. I plan to replace G80 with a 992 GTS in a few years. I just hate the heavy car feeling and it does not mask its weight like most people here say. I drive both F80 and G80 weekly. Getting into the F80 feels like getting into a sport car compared to my G80. The G80 is definitely a heavy feeling car. In isolation, G80 is great but I can't even park it in some tight parking garages in NOVA. Feels like parking a 7 series.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10256.50
      10-17-2023, 01:48 PM   #62
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit View Post
I have both the F80 and xdrive G80. F80 has KW DDS suspension(better than stock) and G80 is on M-performance suspension. I prefer the F80 overall despite traction problems. It feels light. G80 Feels heavy and too wide. I like G80 engine over F80 and the extra traction with xdrive. However, F80 is more fun to drive and edges me to drive more spiritedly even when losing control. I have had the G80 for 6 months and still cant get used to its size. I plan to replace G80 with a 992 GTS in a few years. I just hate the heavy car feeling and it does not mask its weight like most people here say. I drive both F80 and G80 weekly. Getting into the F80 feels like getting into a sport car compared to my G80. The G80 is definitely a heavy feeling car. In isolation, G80 is great but I can't even park it in some tight parking garages in NOVA. Feels like parking a 7 series.
that was exactly my impression driving a G80 vs F80... the G80 felt heavier, more luxurious and "super safe" for lack of a better word... its limits were so high and the car felt numb to the point that driving it slow felt like driving a normal heavier car... it wasn't what i expected
      10-17-2023, 03:21 PM   #63
yaymitch
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

I’m coming from F87 CS Manual and now have the G80 xDrive. My initial impressions on the street or daily driving is the M2CS is more engaging, more raw and genuinely more fun on the street and in normal conditions. However, once I tracked the G80…well it’s a completely different animal there. Amazing how well the car manages its weight and handles the corners. It’s way more capable on the track than my M2 was. Easier to manage and approach the limits. Now, all I wanna do is drive this car on the track. That’s why it’s an M and why its better than its predecessors. Every generation gets more capable…even if its not as fun in some ways.
      10-17-2023, 03:27 PM   #64
pateke
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cx ('24), X3 30e ('22)

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
I took my license last year, at 42 yrs old. Bought the X3e30 for the family right away. Didn’t want to crash/scratch it so I bought a M440 ‘21 in April. Was annoyed about it being “M-lite”. Wanted the real thing.

Never even sat in an M-car before. Ordered in June and picked up last week. First time I ever been in one.

It’s such a different car compared with the M440. No regrets!
Only issue at the moment is to stay under 5/6k RPM for another 1800 km.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 09:08 PM   #65
nu2M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Competition xDriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
that was exactly my impression driving a G80 vs F80... the G80 felt heavier, more luxurious and "super safe" for lack of a better word... its limits were so high and the car felt numb to the point that driving it slow felt like driving a normal heavier car... it wasn't what i expected
I’ve never driven a F80 but the G80 does drive like a big sports sedan but it’s more nimble and offers a higher level of luxury than any other “new” sports sedan in its class available in today’s market, IMO. Looks like every manufacturer is building cars bigger. The G80 is perfect for my needs but everyone is different. I wanted a fast-nimble-sporty DD sedan. If you don’t need/want 4 seats, the 992GTS will be more satisfying for sure. It’s only money, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 09:28 PM   #66
christianb5s4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pateke View Post
I took my license last year, at 42 yrs old. Bought the X3e30 for the family right away. Didn’t want to crash/scratch it so I bought a M440 ‘21 in April. Was annoyed about it being “M-lite”. Wanted the real thing.

Never even sat in an M-car before. Ordered in June and picked up last week. First time I ever been in one.

It’s such a different car compared with the M440. No regrets!
Only issue at the moment is to stay under 5/6k RPM for another 1800 km.
That's great to hear, also did a ton of research before pulling the trigger which helped solidify my decision.
Appreciate 0