Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

02-23-2022, 04:44 AM   #23
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I'm sure it's something that you could probably fight, but if you can't get step one, to even cover it, which is the dealer, you're just in for a headache, without lawyering up.
I just can’t fathom BMW declining a warranty because I put different tires on the car. If that really ever happened to me I would never buy another BMW again. Ever.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13698.00
Vic5519789.00
      02-23-2022, 04:51 AM   #24
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I'm sure it's something that you could probably fight, but if you can't get step one, to even cover it, which is the dealer, you're just in for a headache, without lawyering up.
I just can’t fathom BMW declining a warranty because I put different tires on the car. If that really ever happened to me I would never buy another BMW again. Ever.
The only reason I can feasibly see this being a huge problem, would be sizing the front vs rear, incorrectly, on the XDrive. Full Time AWD systems, generally require a square setup, so you don't burn out the center differential, however, this car was designed to work with a slight offset of front vs rear, sizing.

The front being a 19 by 35 and the rear being a 20 by 30 series, makes the overall rolling diameter, very similar, within 1% of each other. Going too far outside of these dimensions, can cause catastrophic driveline failure, from just driving the car, down the street.

Full time awd cars can't even be towed by anything except a flatbed tow truck. Luckily, for this system, there is a little more leeway, and the front drive system, is capable of being completely disconnected from the awd system.

Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      02-23-2022, 06:51 AM   #25
DAlby18
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
I'm calling the story (not the messenger) BS. There must be tens of thousands of X owners that put AS, snows, track or drag tires on their cars and we have one story from a far off corner of the internet.
Not to mention there is most likely more of a difference between the PZero star and the MPS4S star then there is to the non star version. Does BMW even have an "Approved" winter package. Also the tire pressure sticker almost always indicates multiple tires sizes. Ya good luck trying to defend that non warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 06:58 AM   #26
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

If there is damage to the transfer box and you are on non * marked tires, you will have a very hard time to claim any warranty on that. That's not bullshit, that's fact.
You will most probably end up paying for that urself.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:23 AM   #27
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebor View Post
If there is damage to the transfer box and you are on non * marked tires, you will have a very hard time to claim any warranty on that. That's not bullshit, that's fact.
You will most probably end up paying for that urself.
I don't believe you. Source of your fact?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:46 AM   #28
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

This is taking such an odd turn, it’s hard to believe.

Front and rear tires greater than the max difference in diameter on an x-drive? Ok, I’ll agree that’s “wrong”.

Running non * tires?? When * snow tires don’t even exist. And nowhere in the owner’s manual or any other official paperwork that comes with these cars (correct me if I missed something) does it mention anything about requiring * tires only. Seems absolutely preposterous to me. That’s literally like saying that running [insert brand X] tires will void your warranty, even if they’re the same size and type of tire, and that you can only run brand Y or brand Z.

There’s nothing in the official literature for these cars that says that. And frankly I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a thing from any manufacturer for any car.

Even my e46 didn’t specify a specific brand of 10w-60 oil on the sticker that went in the engine bay after the bearings were done. I know tires and oil aren’t the same thing, but same basic idea.

If somehow, magically, BMW is taking the truly ridiculous position that is claimed a few posts above, then I feel horrible for the hundreds of G8x x-drive owners that have had snow tires installed at their dealer… and we should probably all rethink future purchases.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      02-23-2022, 09:11 AM   #29
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Yeah I have a tough time understanding this having worked with factory warranty segments for over 20 years now... there is no clause in any warranty thats states that the exact same OEM tires must be used to in order for a claim to be valid where the tires were part of the claim.

What ever may have been posted here in the past is easily defendable and frankly quite stupid if he/she didnt fight the denial due to a missing character aka the star.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 02-23-2022 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      02-23-2022, 09:18 AM   #30
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
You can ask every dealer you like for that. Maybe it's handled differently in the US than in Europe, but here you will pay for that shitbox urself if (I'm not saying it will) the transferbox breaks while you're on non star marked tires. If your're lucky and you have a good relationship to your dealer, maybe he tries to pull the warranty claim hoping that BMW won't double check.

I know alot of ppl that didn't go with *-tires, and nothing happened. When the diameter is right, there is almost nothing to fear for. I'm just saying, that if not, it's your problem.

It might not be an issue with the G80, but it was with the F20 Mx35/Mx40 xdrives. Their stock tire combo was 225/40 18 and 245/35 18, which had slightly different dimensions with the * tires from factory, because the 245/35 is smaller than the 225/40. If you went for different tires with the same stock dimensions, the transfer box broke in a matter of weeks, if not days. And BMW wont pay for that. A dear friend of mine had a long lasting drama with BMW because of exactly that. And you finde many more victims if you look it up.

Last edited by Erebor; 02-23-2022 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #31
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You can ask every dealer you like for that. Maybe it's handled differently in the US than in Europe, but here you will pay for that shitbox urself if (I'm not saying it will) the transferbox breaks while you're on non star marked tires. If your're lucky and you have a good relationship to your dealer, maybe he tries to pull the warranty claim hoping that BMW won't double check.

I know alot of ppl that didn't go with *-tires, and nothing happened. When the diameter is right, there is almost nothing to fear for. I'm just saying, that if not, it's your problem.
I know the warranty clearly says if you don’t perform maintenance the warranty is voided. I would think they would have to put in writing that if you don’t replace the tires with the exact same * ones they have then there is no warranty on the gearbox. Can you point that out to us where that’s in writing? I would really like to see that. Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 09:31 AM   #32
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I know the warranty clearly says if you don’t perform maintenance the warranty is voided. I would think they would have to put in writing that if you don’t replace the tires with the exact same * ones they have then there is no warranty on the gearbox. Can you point that out to us where that’s in writing? I would really like to see that. Thanks man.
I mean under such a caviat- BMWNA could void a warranty related to tires not only due to the missing star but also the tread depth, lack of wheel weights, torque on the bolts, tire pressure, amount of tire dressing (sorry that was dumb LOLOL).
Appreciate 2
Patton2502939.50
FISH225413.50
      02-23-2022, 09:33 AM   #33
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I mean under such a caviat- BMWNA could void a warranty related to tires not only due to the missing star but also the tread depth, lack of wheel weights, torque on the bolts, tire pressure, amount of tire dressing (sorry that was dumb LOLOL).

Exactly. What if they found out someone’s 500 pound mother-in-law got in the car? That should definitely avoid all warranties right?
Appreciate 1
Vic5519789.00
      02-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #34
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Exactly. What if they found out someone’s 500 pound mother-in-law got in the car? That should definitely avoid all warranties right?
Thats the human X drive sir or may I say X factor?
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      02-23-2022, 09:51 AM   #35
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

It might not be an issue with the G80, but it was with the F20 Mx35/Mx40 xdrives. Their stock tire combo was 225/40 18 and 245/35 18, which had slightly different dimensions with the * tires from factory, because the 245/35 is smaller than the 225/40. If you went for different tires with the same stock dimensions, the transfer box broke in a matter of weeks, if not days. And BMW wont pay for that. A dear friend of mine had a long lasting drama with BMW because of exactly that. And you finde many more victims if you look it up.
Are you saying that for that F chassis x-drive, the star-marked 225/40 and 245/35 were actually a different size from every other 225/40 and 245/35 tire made (including the non star-marked version of the same tire)? And that BMW designed a car that would only not-fail if used on one specific star-marked tire?

Also, my understanding (from various posts on this forum from European residents) is that in many places in Europe, winter tires are legally required during certain times of year. What are those European folks supposed to do with their F chassis x-drive when they're not legally allowed to run the summer-only star-marked tires, but there isn't a star-marked snow tire?

You've been very helpful to many of us sorting out wheel and tire fitment etc. for the G8x platform, and seem like a cool guy. So none of this is personal, of course.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #36
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Thats the human X drive sir or may I say X factor?
Next we're going to get a thread: So my very large mother-in-law was in my G8x yesterday, and I got pulled over by a DOT officer at the weigh station and given a $1,000 ticket for being above the car's GVWR. And then BMW didn't want to give me my free oil change, because they said non-star-marked heavy passengers cause the oil to thin prematurely.

Appreciate 1
Vic5519789.00
      02-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #37
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
Are you saying that for that F chassis x-drive, the star-marked 225/40 and 245/35 were actually a different size from every other 225/40 and 245/35 tire made (including the non star-marked version of the same tire)? And that BMW designed a car that would only not-fail if used on one specific star-marked tire?

Also, my understanding (from various posts on this forum from European residents) is that in many places in Europe, winter tires are legally required during certain times of year. What are those European folks supposed to do with their F chassis x-drive when they're not legally allowed to run the summer-only star-marked tires, but there isn't a star-marked snow tire?

You've been very helpful to many of us sorting out wheel and tire fitment etc. for the G8x platform, and seem like a cool guy. So none of this is personal, of course.
Yes, this is exactly what happened. Of course, it happened not to every one. Most ppl will not even bother to change the tires and will fit what BMW suggests. I personally know that Falken tires very consistently lead to transfer box failure within a few days from my tire dealer.

Concerning the winter tires, the recomended winter tire setup from BMW ist 205/45 square. And a square setup is always worry free with xdrive.

That whole topic is quite ridiculous here really. I know dealers who will directly go for the tuning flag, if there isnt a star marked tire on the car. Most of us who know, avoid those.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #38
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, this is exactly what happened. Of course, it happened not to every one. Most ppl will not even bother to change the tires and will fit what BMW suggests. I personally know that Falken tires very consistently lead to transfer box failure within a few days from my tire dealer.

Concerning the winter tires, the recomended winter tire setup from BMW ist 205/45 square. And a square setup is always worry free with xdrive.

That whole topic is quite ridiculous here really. I know dealers who will directly go for the tuning flag, if there isnt a star marked tire on the car. Most of us who know, avoid those.
Thanks for the further info and clarification. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it's sounding like basically a crazy situation where the star-marked tires for that specific platform are allegedly a magic size where for some reason other tires marked that same size, aren't really that same size, and it (allegedly) caused x-drive issues, to switch the sizes of the tires.

A non-star square set of winter tires however, it seems, doesn't cause any issues.

So again, unless I'm misunderstanding, my take-away from this is that changing tire size relationship on an x-drive, front-to-rear, can be a problem, if one goes outside of the max variation that's designed into the system. But that the writing on the sidewall isn't the problem.

So happy with my slow, RWD manual
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #39
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

That's true.

I just got notified this afternoon, that the rear tires on my mums M240i need replacement. Not because they thread is gone, but the difference to the front wheels has exceeded 2mm.
So the rear tires are now even smaller and the diameter difference is too big.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #40
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's true.

I just got notified this afternoon, that the rear tires on my mums M240i need replacement. Not because they thread is gone, but the difference to the front wheels has exceeded 2mm.
So the rear tires are now even smaller and the diameter difference is too big.
Yup. Can’t count the number of friends with awesome utility-oriented Subarus (outbacks, crosstreks etc.) who have had flats etc. over the years with tire damage, and been told by their dealers that all 4 tires need to be replaced because they can’t just replace the one due to the awd system.

Those $200 tires become $800 tires pretty quickly…
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13698.00
      02-23-2022, 12:26 PM   #41
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
There is most certainly an approved winter tire setup, for the G8X. Its also not all about the actual overall diameter of the tire. OEMs, are all about saving money.

We've all been there, where we purchased a car, brand new, and the OEM tires, needed to be replaced at 20,000 miles. Most standard OEM tires, are 8-9/32nds, while the retail store bought tire, in the same specs, may be 11/32nds.

Tire manufacturers approach OEMs with proposals based on how much money they can save them. Who buys a brand new car, and immediately checks the original tread depth on your cars brand new tires? Just about noone.

Who cares, the car is brand new. Now, at 20k miles, you wonder why the OE tires already need replacement? Because the OEM tires, only had 2/3rds of the tread of an off the shelf tire. Michelin doesnt care what the shelf tire costs, its Michelin, youre going to most likely buy the replacement tires, for your model, they will make their money, while saving the OEMs millions of dollars a year, fitting cars with 2/3rds tread.

BMW tested over 30 separate compounds, in 8 different test loops to get the correct compound in the Star model tires. The tire took 2 and a half years, to develop. In the Star tires, there are 4 separate tire compounds, with 2 strips of black carbon +++, the ribs are laid in a different configuration, and the belts are woven tighter, which comes from the Cup 2 compound, while the OE PS4S has no layers of black carbon. The Star PS4S, is really a completely different tire.

It's not so much about the circumference of the tire, per se, it's about how the tire is tunes for proper slip. If you know anything about differentials, in a turn, the inside tire rotates slower than the outside tire. Couple that with a tire that allows the proper amount of slip, versus a tire, that allows too much slip. You run the possibility of getting the tires out of synchronized rotation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 12:52 PM   #42
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Star marked are deeper tread and lighter weight (by 1.75lbs on fronts)
Not the same tire AT ALL.
Attached Images

Limegrntaln13698.00
m20e30871169.00
      02-23-2022, 01:01 PM   #43
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Also, the warranty has so many poison pills its a joke. Good luck with any claim.
Attached Images

02-23-2022, 01:03 PM   #44
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Star marked are deeper tread and lighter weight (by 1.75lbs on fronts)
Not the same tire AT ALL.
6 revolutions per mile, in rotational variance. Imagine the difference between having 2x tires on the front, non star, that rotated at 777 revs per mile, and 2 star tires on the rear, that turned at 783 on an xDrive. Be careful how you size your xDrive tires.

Appreciate 0