BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

06-30-2021, 10:10 AM   #23
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I've had this internal struggle between these 2 cars. I really like the emotion that the Alfa brings. Objectively the M3 is the better overall car... better quality, better infotainment, better performance, etc. But there's a subjective side to how a car makes you feel and that's my struggle.

I'll most likely order a G80 when it's my time, but the Alfa makes me stop and think sometimes.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #24
mn_bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Manual RWD

I get that it's what they do, but so many creatively artistic (bloated) dialogue... I was sweating

I personally think the front end of the Alpha is ugly
Appreciate 2
evilalien452.00
EXE462104.50
      06-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #25
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

why do people like the giulia front end and not the M3 front end...that has been baffling me. To me they look very similar but i like both so I cant answer that question for myself lol Both look bad if you photograph them from some of those angles the BMW press photos decided to use...i think thats part of the reception problem for the G80. Idk who thought laying on the ground straight on and taking a picture of the grille angled upward was a good idea I cant think of any cars that look good from that angle haha

For a daily driver the M3 obliterates the giulia in my opinion...but these motortrend type reviews dont focus on that which is understandable. Bigger trunk, more rear seat room, better interior materials, better reliability, brakes that are actually usable at lower speeds. Even if the M3 is a little bit behind driving experience wise (not saying it is ive never driven the giulia) its still a much better all around car.

Last edited by jkap27; 06-30-2021 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
EXE462104.50
      06-30-2021, 11:06 AM   #26
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The G8x has been lauded for it's comfort as a daily driver. Interesting how their Alpha weighed over 50lbs more than the M3. No need to get butthurt about his conclusion as the QV is a great car and it's just one man's opinion and one that clearly has a bone to pick when it comes to the BMW front grille. Also given how much he trashed the F8x (I must admit I chuckled at; the S55 3.0-liter engine that sounded like a brass can of rich, schnitzel-fed farts) it's reasonable to conclude that he's no BMW fan in general and the G80 was up against the wall regardless of how good it is. The M3 has the better engine, better transmission programming, better performance, better interior and really the Alpha can only win in a competition that highly favors subjective points.

The only real complaint I have is that the styling of both cars is polarizing as lots of people aren't fans of the QV front end so putting them side by side and calling one ugly and one beautiful is somewhat hypocritical. I personally think they both look great and would feel hypocritical calling one beautiful and the other ugly based on the fact that they are both have very unique grilles that aren't for everyone.
I always saw the new g80 grille as the bmw twin kidney version of the giulia grille so im glad someone else said this haha I still have no idea what theyre doing with their giulia UK weight figures...it is not a light car by any means. There must be different weight standards for different countries and BMW weighs everything by the highest weight standard.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #27
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Apparently you and I drove two completely different cars. Because I don’t think the two are even close. In fact I don’t think it’s even fair to compare the AR to the G80. Even the C63 is better. Like the G80 it’s faster, has better cornering and leagues better technology in the inside of it than the AR. I don’t understand any of this. It makes zero sense to me that this argument is even being made.
I think its mostly a semantics argument. some people are trying to say the G80 is too capable as a negative. I followed the c8 corvette forum for a long time as I was going to buy one of those originally and the same thing happened over there...the only negatives the old corvette owners had was they dont like that the new one looks different and its too capable. Since the car no longer tries to kill you going around every turn its not as fun...or something lol Said in a more positive way...less capable cars let the driver feel like theyre doing more.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #28
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I for one am happy that the Alfa Romeo Giulia is such a good performance car, and even wins some of these comparison tests. It forced and will continue to force BMW to produce a fantastic M product. Better cars from all manufacturers pushing each other to do "better" benefits enthusiasts like us. And then we have choices, really good choices, when it comes time to pick our new toys.

I've never driven an Alfa, but I've ridden in one. And it's quite a car. It handles really well, and has a more raw feeling. It feels alive, and there's something about that Ferrari-derived engine that just sings. It doesn't sound all that great, but there's an emotional pull as it zings up the register.

So all in all, the Alfa is just a bit more raw than the M3. And if you're OK with an average interior at that price and so-so build quality, it's a solid choice.

Hec, I still understand why some people prefer the C63 over the M3, as I've driven plenty of variants of the C63. I get it.

We have choices. The BMW isn't the best in every category of its competitors, and "best" depends on who's doing the judging. Of course the numbers don't lie, BMW put a powerfully tuned engine in the new M3. And it's pretty damn good on the track as well.

But, in the real world, there's still some charm left in that C63 V8, and in the tactile feel of the Alfa. Hec, if it's all about the numbers, many of us would be in used F90 M5s, because those things are rocket ships. But as we know, it's not simply about the figures, it's also about the "feel" of the car on a daily basis. The Alfa certainly produced an emotional car, and I applaud them for that.

And for some, they will prefer that flavor of a sports sedan. And I understand why.
Appreciate 1
EXE462104.50
      06-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #29
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

If the Alfa came with a stick, I'd almost certainly get that.

But it doesn't, so I won't.

Simple as.
Appreciate 1
DoubleDave1181.00
      06-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #30
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

An issue I see with reviews like these is it’s done in isolation.

I can’t buy a new Alfa in my town, which also means I can’t get it serviced either. I have to drive an hour to the nearest dealer and from what I’ve gathered…I’d need to.

Like dialogical said…you can’t have it in a stick so it’s an easy choice for me.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 12:10 PM   #31
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Alphas have always been 'passionate' cars. However, they are made by Fiat: Fix It Again Tony...some can overlook that, no way I could. Add to that the fact their dealers' service departments--if you have one anywhere near you, have been a joke. There is a dealer up in the Denver area. To say it has a bad reputation is an understatement. Add in a very dated interior, no thanks. Still, I can understand some people putting passion over practicality.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 01:21 PM   #32
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

C'Mon MT..the G80 isn't that ugly... I'm so over the ugly comments at this point TBH...I feel like it's just en vogue to say it's ugly so everyone is hopping on that bandwagon... and I'm not just saying that to justify my purchase because I too didn't love it when I first saw it but it's just not that damn bad... and if anything the Giulia and the G80 have similar front ends. Slim horizontal lights with a big a** prominent grill. But hey.. to each it's own.

(End of my 30 second rant)

I admire the Giulia a lot and I think the Giorgio platform is great but I still think the G8X platform is a better a car and more thoroughly engineered. FCA (now AKA Stellantis?) doesn't have the same resources as the German makes to pour money into R&D for niche products like cars in this class.
Appreciate 1
evilalien452.00
      06-30-2021, 01:28 PM   #33
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
C'Mon MT..the G80 isn't that ugly... I'm so over the ugly comments at this point TBH...I feel like it's just en vogue to say it's ugly so everyone is hopping on that bandwagon... and I'm not just saying that to justify my purchase because I too didn't love it when I first saw it but it's just not that damn bad... and if anything the Giulia and the G80 have similar front ends. Slim horizontal lights with a big a** prominent grill. But hey.. to each it's own.
This is my overarching complaint about car reviews in general.

We count on reviews because as mortals we likely won't have access to brand new cars for enthusiastic test drives. We also likely haven't driven all of the car's competitors.

As a result, the duty of a reviewer is to focus on those attributes that only come through on a test drive, and in comparisons to other cars in the segment.

That's the nice part of this review - the compare/contrast with the Alfa.

Spending 2 paragraphs on what you think of the styling is useless. We've all seen pictures of the car, we've got our opinions, and hearing someone else talk about how they think a car is ugly, or beautiful, or anything in between is a waste of ink.

Ask yourself this: has anyone *ever* been able to convince you something you think is ugly is actually beautiful?
Appreciate 1
evilalien452.00
      06-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #34
Jacky Treehorn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would pick the QV over the G80 but that's just me. Take the cheater tires off of the Alfa and performance wise, it won't be anywhere near the G80 levels. Plus the interior of the Alfa makes a Mazda 6 look like a Bentley.
I've driven both cars, I ended up actually buying the Alfa QV over the M3. I came away with very very similar feelings as the author.

Buying a car is very subjective...I went in with an open mind and chose the Alfa. The BMW is a great car, a really great car. The Alfa was just the better car for me. It's difficult to say which car is truly better, unless you are speaking for yourself and not everyone.

I've previously owned many M cars, 911s, AMG, pretty much everything in the segment. The Alfa is just that good.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2531.00
Macheins282.50
      06-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #35
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky Treehorn View Post
I've driven both cars, I ended up actually buying the Alfa QV over the M3. I came away with very very similar feelings as the author.

Buying a car is very subjective...I went in with an open mind and chose the Alfa. The BMW is a great car, a really great car. The Alfa was just the better car for me. It's difficult to say which car is truly better, unless you are speaking for yourself and not everyone.

I've previously owned many M cars, 911s, AMG, pretty much everything in the segment. The Alfa is just that good.
Jacky

My prior post pretty much went ignored; I suspect I did not glamor enough over the G80C . . . which I really do like a lot.

Your comments are spot one . . . 'better' for who? Only each individual can determine the answer.

I am very intrigued by this QV that I have never even driven or given much prior thought . . . seems the G80C has prompted quite a bit of quality QV advertisement on Bimmerpost.

I am now personally really interested to give this QV a spin. I have no doubt it is a performer. Curious to know if the QV 'it factor' involves that rawness that, for example, the F87C possesses. . . and the G80C seems to lack?

The 'raw' versus 'refined' topic is a real tough one for me because it almost suggests the refinement is a bad thing. In fact, the refinement reflects advanced performance as much as it does, for example, interior comfort features. Just seems improved performance is tied to this 'refinement' that enthusiasts, such as myself, have a difficult time syntheszing.

Anyway, my working assumption is the QV possesses an element of rawness that I THINK, in comparison, is missing in the G80C???

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #36
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I've literally driven both within 2 or 3 weeks of each other. No idea what they're talking about, but then again that's why I don't read Motortrend (although I do like Roadkill )
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #37
SpeedyJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 992 gt3, 992 turbo S

The m3 vs qv is the 488 vs turbo s comparison… People will pick their favorites based on their subjective preference.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #38
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyJ View Post
The m3 vs qv is the 488 vs turbo s comparison… People will pick their favorites based on their subjective preference.
There is a comparison between the 488 and P turbo?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #39
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Well, I did not want to say anything but . . . thank you.

I guess if you don't consider the difference between $200K and $330K a factor, you can make such comparison.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:49 PM   #40
SpeedyJ
Private
Rep

Quote:
100 percent, used 488 gtb and new turbo s are cross shopped as they have similar price points
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 05:03 PM   #41
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
100 percent, used 488 gtb and new turbo s are cross shopped as they have similar price points
Ok. I just feel that they are 2 totally diff animals. Personally, 488 7 days a week for me
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #42
SpeedyJ
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok. I just feel that they are 2 totally diff animals. Personally, 488 7 days a week for me
I have a tts on order so that's obviously my answer
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #43
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I have a tts on order so that's obviously my answer
Sweet. I;m waiting for the Z06 to come out. It's either that or an RS6 for me next. I'm getting impatient!! LOL
Appreciate 1
SpeedyJ65.50
      06-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #44
wj100
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Supra 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Curious to know if the QV 'it factor' involves that rawness that, for example, the F87C possesses. . . and the G80C seems to lack?
///AVM, I always appreciate your level headed insights and questions. As someone who has owned M cars, AMG cars, and now owns a QV, the only thing I can say is it's hard to describe the overall feel of the QV without driving it.

I went to drive a G80C fully expecting to want to end my Alpha ownership early... But left deciding to keep it until my warranty is up (another year plus). This doesn't mean I may not eventually buy a G80C, but I just felt the QV felt a lot more alive and light on its feet which... To me at least at this current time trumps the substantially nicer interior and tech of the BMW.

There's definitely no wrong choice between these two cars and like others have said I'm glad BMW is being pushed to up their game. But to your point, the advancement may have come at the cost of (some) fun.
Appreciate 0