BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

04-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #23
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

To the OP, if you can do it based on your finances go for it!

I usually don't buy the 1st year of production but I've had my F30 335i too long so I'm not going to wait much longer. My G80 will be a 2022 because I'm waiting for the M xDrive. I'm not too worried about major improvements on the G80 in its 2nd year because I'm thinking the S58 is already tried & tested in the X3M/X4M and it appears from all the reviews that BMW have the G8x properly setup from the get go. Of course we have no data on how the M xDrive will do so I'm taking that risk.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #24
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
I'd certainly suggest going for whatever will maximize enjoyment while also not making you feel like you've sacrificed anything financially. For me at least, I decided to let my F82 go early so we're juggling just one car in the meantime, but my big leap is ordering a build brand new to YOLO against my cardinal rule of "never buy new".
[COLOR="Blue"]me too. [/COLOR] I have bought every car I've owned (admittedly not that many, 6), used, usually 3 years old - the known sweet spot.

I always said, "never buy a new car", let alone a first year model. All my other cars have been in the middle or end of their lifecycles, allowing manufacturers some time to "get it right".

But I'm ready for a new car, with newer tech and the latest advancements in engineering. And new car smell!

So, for me, this is a real YOLO, taking a complete leap of faith.

But hey, with a new car, we do get a full warranty, so that helps, if we need it.
Absolutely; especially with my BMWs I always spent a lot of time shopping just the right spec, trying to find one that had a good service history, and also factoring in the cost of an extended warranty. For my M4, that was an additional $4300 cost, and I only used it once for a minor item. Never used the extended warranty on my 335is. The cars are getting more reliable both from the early builds and into longer ownership.

I'll likely still bite the bullet and get one additional year of coverage to match my note, but once you factor in the time and effort of searching used and potential extra costs then this new purchase is worth a bit of a premium.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:38 PM   #25
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky Treehorn View Post
Name's Jacky, 35 yrs old and also recently made an illogical YOLO purchase. Decisions' that'll keep ya up at night, but I've worked extremely hard my whole life...saved my pennies for what? Why do we work so hard if we can't live a little and enjoy. Treat yourself. My uncle died at 36 of a heart attack and my mom always use to say "he never even took a vacation." Bought myself an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrofoglio after a lot of research and test driving.

See', I got "bean counters" living in my head. They want a safe and secure financial future. It makes purchases like this one sting a little. Just make sure to play within your limits and don't overextend yourself.

This will probably be the very last ICE car I ever buy the way things are goin'. So, I wanted it to be a special one. I support you brother, go get yourself that car if you worked hard for it.
Do you still treat objects like women, man?
Dude
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 06:59 AM   #26
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

OP here.

For those still following along, thanks for all for all of the comments, ideas, suggestions, advice and humor.

My third dealer offer (on a build) was for MSRP but they added on more dealer crap, so figure about $1K over. My local dealer has no allocations. Nothing in stock interests me. Paying MSRP does not interest me.

So... here's the plan today, subject to change tomorrow depending on how the wind blows.

I am going to buy a used F82. I'll have something fun to drive until the MY22 are available for order, production gets back to normal and pricing returns to something reasonable (i.e. discounts).
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 01:42 PM   #27
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
I'd certainly suggest going for whatever will maximize enjoyment while also not making you feel like you've sacrificed anything financially. For me at least, I decided to let my F82 go early so we're juggling just one car in the meantime, but my big leap is ordering a build brand new to YOLO against my cardinal rule of "never buy new".
[COLOR="Blue"]me too. [/COLOR] I have bought every car I've owned (admittedly not that many, 6), used, usually 3 years old - the known sweet spot.

I always said, "never buy a new car", let alone a first year model. All my other cars have been in the middle or end of their lifecycles, allowing manufacturers some time to "get it right".

But I'm ready for a new car, with newer tech and the latest advancements in engineering. And new car smell!

So, for me, this is a real YOLO, taking a complete leap of faith.

But hey, with a new car, we do get a full warranty, so that helps, if we need it.
I was in the same mindset but decided that the F80 M3's are holding their value a little too well and the used market in general is gone nuts. With cheap money the new car actually makes sense for once!

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3389.00
      04-30-2021, 01:59 PM   #28
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Good plan on the used F82! I am in almost exactly the same boat. Have owned many M3's in the past but just can't bring myself to paying pretty much full MSRP on a car, especially since I change cars so often. Plus, I also hit the big 5-0 a year ago so I am finding I am getting more cheap in my old age Good luck!!
Appreciate 0