Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-18-2023, 07:39 AM   #23
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheroG80 View Post
I am going to say your cars fuel trims are most likely way off based on the catless DP's and no tune. These new DME's are no joke, every car is different as well. My car may run them fine while yours may not, but the readings from the o2 sensor may be triggering your DME to throw this code.

Possible fix/trick may be o2 spacers to trick them to think it has cats on it still.
Maybe. But he said he was running the catless downpipes for a while without issues. So
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 08:36 AM   #24
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4

I am waiting to hear back from the dealer. I have never run into problems running catless downpipes without a tune. I have owned several bmw's and M's car up to now and all of them was modified. Some was tuned and some was not.

From researching this code, some have had a bad batch of gas, cracked charge pipes, and if anything aftermarket tune was too aggressive, various of reasons. I haven't seen any catless dp's without a tune cause any issues unless it was not installed correctly. Another possible culprit is the O2 sensor are damaged but I think it would have thrown a whole set of different codes.

I will keep you guys updated once I hear back.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 08:39 AM   #25
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheroG80 View Post
I am going to say your cars fuel trims are most likely way off based on the catless DP's and no tune. These new DME's are no joke, every car is different as well. My car may run them fine while yours may not, but the readings from the o2 sensor may be triggering your DME to throw this code.

Possible fix/trick may be o2 spacers to trick them to think it has cats on it still.

That maybe the case but It has been running months without any problems. Only codes pop up before would be the catless codes. The 02 spacer is really just to trick it so it doesn't throw CEL for catless
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 01:52 PM   #26
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyho123 View Post
That maybe the case but It has been running months without any problems. Only codes pop up before would be the catless codes. The 02 spacer is really just to trick it so it doesn't throw CEL for catless
What was the update?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 01:53 PM   #27
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cleared the code and it never pop up again lol
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2023, 02:05 PM   #28
tac3331
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3cx

Knock would be stored in permanent code even if only occurred momentarily. I've heard of code being thrown for hitting potholes.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 02:15 PM   #29
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
bad batch of gas?

had that happen to me once when driving on the highway and i was passing a vehicle. the car started stuttering and threw codes. i freaked out a bit since it was on a mini road trip. filled up at a gas station, cleared the code, hasnt appeared since.

S58 stock (no tune, no downpipes).
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
bilal6.50
      07-28-2023, 02:21 PM   #30
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I think so too. That happened when I pumped out of a nearby Exxon that I never been to. I went back to my usually Shell station and it has been fine
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 02:27 PM   #31
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Good to know it was nothing serious
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 05:47 PM   #32
DieselG80XC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Competition XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Ok, but won't the car adjust short term fuel trims to hit proper AFR and then eventualy learn to correct the long term trims based on always having to adjust the short term trims? How does a JB4 account for catless downpipes? Plenty people have catless downpipes with JB4 or race chip and no such issues.

I'm just genuinely interested to understand these things better for S58 since not many people here talk technical details, it all just exhaust and front lips.. lol.
Actually I’ve been talking to quite a few people running very lean because of catless DP running on JB4
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 06:19 PM   #33
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselG80XC View Post
Actually I’ve been talking to quite a few people running very lean because of catless DP running on JB4
Tick tick tick
Appreciate 1
BG22M317.00
      07-28-2023, 08:11 PM   #34
Fugazii
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82/2022

When asking you get more Bee's with honey that being said the Forums are not obligated to answer your problem's especially with (sarcasm)!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 10:38 PM   #35
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
OK, "very lean" compared to or meaning what? Logs or it didn't happen. Lol, j/k, but really this is pretty vague so...?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 11:21 PM   #36
BG22M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Lean means to much air in the combustion chamber causing burnt valves, ringland failure. Numerous amounts of problems. The problem with running catless anything without a tune is you have a pre cat sensor and a post cat sensor. That pre cat sensor is your AFR sensor. It counts on the post cat sensor to send its signal to the DME. The DME than will adjust the air/fuel mixture. Because that cat has to burn off the hydrocarbons. So when you take a cat out of the equation. That post cat sensor is sending information to the DME and the car is trying to correct it. That code will be back unfortunately. I’ve seen way to many people run high flow cats and or catless WITHOUT A TUNE and destroy engines doing that. The off the shelf tunes are not it. You want to do it the proper way get on a dyno get tuned properly. And go back every once in awhile to get retuned. Properly tuned cars don’t have that issue. Because the AFR sensor has a value it’s looking for that’s programmed by the tuner. And doesn’t need the post cat sensor to tell it what to do since there is no cat there. PAY TO PLAY IS THE NAME OF THE GAME.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 08:30 AM   #37
DieselG80XC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
OK, "very lean" compared to or meaning what? Logs or it didn't happen. Lol, j/k, but really this is pretty vague so...?

Attached circled column shows gear and afr if you give me your email I can send to you
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BG22M317.00
      07-29-2023, 11:56 AM   #38
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Bingo. I see no reason to run catless DP with no tune. 🤷🏿‍♂️
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6949.50
      07-29-2023, 12:21 PM   #39
tac3331
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Bingo. I see no reason to run catless DP with no tune. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Cause loud and rowdy. Now I'm gonna have to email jb4 about solutions.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 09:55 PM   #40
DieselG80XC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac3331 View Post
Cause loud and rowdy. Now I'm gonna have to email jb4 about solutions.

Jb4 has no control over fueling it relys on the ecu to trim fueling as necessary. I believe something with the catless DP throws the trims way off.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 07:50 AM   #41
BG22M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Jb4 has no control over fueling it relys on the ecu to trim fueling as necessary. I believe something with the catless DP throws the trims way off.
The problem with running catless anything without a tune is you have a pre cat sensor and a post cat sensor. That pre cat sensor is your AFR sensor. It counts on the post cat sensor to send its signal to the DME. The DME than will adjust the air/fuel mixture. Because that cat has to burn off the hydrocarbons. So when you take a cat out of the equation. That post cat sensor is sending information to the DME and the car is trying to correct it. You want to do it the proper way get on a dyno get tuned properly. And go back every once in awhile to get retuned. Properly tuned cars don’t have that issue. Because the AFR sensor has a value it’s looking for that’s programmed by the tuner. And doesn’t need the post cat sensor to tell it what to do since there is no cat there.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2023, 08:41 AM   #42
tac3331
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG22M3 View Post
The problem with running catless anything without a tune is you have a pre cat sensor and a post cat sensor. That pre cat sensor is your AFR sensor. It counts on the post cat sensor to send its signal to the DME. The DME than will adjust the air/fuel mixture. Because that cat has to burn off the hydrocarbons. So when you take a cat out of the equation. That post cat sensor is sending information to the DME and the car is trying to correct it. You want to do it the proper way get on a dyno get tuned properly. And go back every once in awhile to get retuned. Properly tuned cars don’t have that issue. Because the AFR sensor has a value it’s looking for that’s programmed by the tuner. And doesn’t need the post cat sensor to tell it what to do since there is no cat there.
I've had no cel issues using big daddy spacers. Afr is another story.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 12:15 PM   #43
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Attached circled column shows gear and afr if you give me your email I can send to you
Interesting, so looks like AFR spikes for 1 sample after shifts and maybe after letting off? Hard to tell from that small piece of the log what'd going on. I'll bite since I'm genuinely curious and I'll PM you my email and if you send me full log I'll look closer.

I've run catless DPs for years with JB4 on multiple platforms, never had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 12:22 PM   #44
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG22M3 View Post
Lean means to much air in the combustion chamber causing burnt valves, ringland failure. Numerous amounts of problems. The problem with running catless anything without a tune is you have a pre cat sensor and a post cat sensor. That pre cat sensor is your AFR sensor. It counts on the post cat sensor to send its signal to the DME. The DME than will adjust the air/fuel mixture. Because that cat has to burn off the hydrocarbons. So when you take a cat out of the equation. That post cat sensor is sending information to the DME and the car is trying to correct it. That code will be back unfortunately. I’ve seen way to many people run high flow cats and or catless WITHOUT A TUNE and destroy engines doing that. The off the shelf tunes are not it. You want to do it the proper way get on a dyno get tuned properly. And go back every once in awhile to get retuned. Properly tuned cars don’t have that issue. Because the AFR sensor has a value it’s looking for that’s programmed by the tuner. And doesn’t need the post cat sensor to tell it what to do since there is no cat there. PAY TO PLAY IS THE NAME OF THE GAME.
Lol, thanks for attempting to teach a lesson, but I call BS. Take your "destroying engines" fear mongering elsewhere. I'm interested in a technical discussion with someone who actually knows what they are talking about, I'm confident it's not you.
Appreciate 0