BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #23
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproos View Post

The G80 is an amazing step up from my previous 2008 and 2014 3 series cars. Gas mileage is table stakes to be in the game. I just didn't quite expect the harsh reality of it.

More smiles per gallon than miles per gallon.
well that's why there are more diesels I assume which we miss out on sadly, plus diesel is relatively cheap here compared to gas . None of this really matters since I spend like $200-250 on gas a month which isn't bad whatsoever and this is a $100K car (how mine is spec'd) so I don't worry about a few dollars more for fuel.

Now if you've driven a Hellcat before that's when it goes to smiles per mile until you realize it's built cheaply but sounds so good. I love the sound of a supercharger with that whine.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:20 PM   #24
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:

The G80 is an amazing step up from my previous 2008 and 2014 3 series cars. Gas mileage is table stakes to be in the game. I just didn't quite expect the harsh reality of it.

well that's why there are more diesels I assume which we miss out on sadly, plus diesel is relatively cheap here compared to gas . None of this really matters since I spend like $200-250 on gas a month which isn't bad whatsoever and this is a $100K car (how mine is spec'd) so I don't worry about a few dollars more for fuel.

Now if you've driven a Hellcat before that's when it goes to smiles per mile until you realize it's built cheaply but sounds so good. I love the sound of a supercharger with that whine.
I fully expect a hellcat to be built cheaply. The Dodge interior design practically screams it. However I'm sure that engine is a wonder.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 10:36 PM   #25
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I fully expect a hellcat to be built cheaply. The Dodge interior design practically screams it. However I'm sure that engine is a wonder.
yes to both of those, I've driven everything from a regular Hellcat to the Demon as well as the TRX. they're all fun despite being very much American quality so to speak. The TRX is probably the nicest of the bunch
Appreciate 1
Jproos334.00
      04-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #26
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I got 12-15mpg in my G05 X5 50i and I get about 10-14mpg in my current F87. I think the mileage you're getting is a reflection of how much fun you're having
Ya, and the signs that when my wife drives it, my mileage won't be going up.

I'm now suddenly interested in gas station amenities and the view they offer. I didn't see that coming.

the way I see it with electrification coming, we might as well enjoy the glory days of ICE single digit mileage or not. BMW's straight 6's are still my favorite engines because they're incredibly smooth, powerful and fun to drive. I love V8's too since you can't best the sound of displacement but they will never be as refined or redline as high. A screaming I6 at 7200-7500RPM ( for recent BMW's) sounds great, I'm okay with bad mileage just to hear that noise
Definitely.

Gas is so cheap in the US compared to most of the world even with crappy mileage it's really not that bad. I think Europe and the UK are pushing US$8/gallon at the moment, which is near enough to double what it is in the US
I'm lucky that where I pump gas (Costco) 93 octane is $2.83/gallon.
Appreciate 1
Jproos334.00
      04-25-2021, 11:21 PM   #27
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
A $100+ fill up would not be very enjoyable
That was one of the things I didn't enjoy on my ED's - gas prices.

I get mine from Costco as well. It's too bad gas prices don't factor into their year end rebate.
Appreciate 1
Jproos334.00
      04-26-2021, 12:03 AM   #28
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yes to both of those, I've driven everything from a regular Hellcat to the Demon as well as the TRX. they're all fun despite being very much American quality so to speak. The TRX is probably the nicest of the bunch
I REALLY want a trx
Appreciate 1
Jproos334.00
      04-26-2021, 12:38 AM   #29
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I got 12-15mpg in my G05 X5 50i and I get about 10-14mpg in my current F87. I think the mileage you're getting is a reflection of how much fun you're having

I'm now suddenly interested in gas station amenities and the view they offer. I didn't see that coming.

the way I see it with electrification coming, we might as well enjoy the glory days of ICE single digit mileage or not. BMW's straight 6's are still my favorite engines because they're incredibly smooth, powerful and fun to drive. I love V8's too since you can't best the sound of displacement but they will never be as refined or redline as high. A screaming I6 at 7200-7500RPM ( for recent BMW's) sounds great, I'm okay with bad mileage just to hear that noise
Definitely.

Gas is so cheap in the US compared to most of the world even with crappy mileage it's really not that bad. I think Europe and the UK are pushing US$8/gallon at the moment, which is near enough to double what it is in the US
Never understood why people wait in long Costco lines only to save maybe a couple dollars for a full tank. Isn't your time more valuable then a couple bucks?
Appreciate 2
Jproos334.00
2011ninja3420.00
      04-26-2021, 12:49 AM   #30
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely.

Never understood why people wait in long Costco lines only to save maybe a couple dollars for a full tank. Isn't your time more valuable then a couple bucks?
I'm usually a Shell or Chevron gas user, but I'll occasionally get gas at Costco while I'm shopping for groceries. The wait is negligible, mostly in part because my Costco Gas has 30 fueling stations. Otherwise, I'd go somewhere else if I had to wait more than 5 minutes
Appreciate 1
Jproos334.00
      04-26-2021, 08:23 AM   #31
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
I REALLY want a trx
I have a friend with the Launch Edition and another with a normal one. They are fun to drive for a truck, 100% expect single digit MPG while you smile the whole time
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 08:38 AM   #32
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

I expect to be getting similar mpg to my F80s. 15-16mpg.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #33
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Two cars ago I had a highly modded Audi S4 with (among many other things) an upgraded lower pulley and a custom intake.

The supercharger whine in that car makes it the best sounding car I've ever owned.

I miss it more than any other part of the car.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #34
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Two cars ago I had a highly modded Audi S4 with (among many other things) an upgraded lower pulley and a custom intake.

The supercharger whine in that car makes it the best sounding car I've ever owned.

I miss it more than any other part of the car.
there's just something about that whine which makes anyone smile, you downshift and hear it too, I prefer that over a nice exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #35
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely.

Rarely have to wait at my Costco...at least the times that I go.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #36
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Does Costco premium advertise any extra detergents/additives a la Shell V Power?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:40 PM   #37
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
There is really only ever a line at Costco if I'm there at say 5pm. Otherwise I always pull right up to a pump.
Appreciate 1
Jmpascual687.50
      04-26-2021, 11:39 PM   #38
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
There is really only ever a line at Costco if I'm there at say 5pm. Otherwise I always pull right up to a pump.
Plus 1, Costco and Shell for me. Usually I go around mid day, or before they are closing, pull right up, no line.
Appreciate 1
Jmpascual687.50
      04-27-2021, 06:20 AM   #39
W288SH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: 2016 X5; 2020 M340i /

Quote:
Yikes, she's a thirsty beast.
Shell V Power.
2020 M340i - Sold
2021 M3 6MT
2023 X5 xDrive 40i
Appreciate 1
Jproos334.00
      04-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #40
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Yah for real. I came from a 2015 Honda Fit so you can imagine my surprise when I needed to fill up every other day with the M3.
Appreciate 0