BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-20-2023, 10:30 AM   #23
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
An update — The areas are still noticeable. However, it does seem the areas aren’t raised as much when running finger over the area. Hopefully over the next week the water will dry and the areas won’t be stained.

I used Colourlock cleanser on it yesterday and it didn’t help at all. I don’t think it’s a soap stain. If it is, then I don’t think it’s coming off.

I spoke with the shop owner this morning. He’s been defensive. He said, “I’ve done thousands of cars since 1980’s and have never seen that happen…just be patient man, the water needs time to dry out..”
You should ask if he did it or if someone inexperienced did since he mentioned he has had trouble keeping staff.. Just because he's owned the shop for a long time doesn't mean someone he hires can't do a shit job
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 11:22 AM   #24
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50shadesofhockenheim View Post
You should ask if he did it or if someone inexperienced did since he mentioned he has had trouble keeping staff.. Just because he's owned the shop for a long time doesn't mean someone he hires can't do a shit job
Agreed. He definitely didn’t do the work. I was there for half of the appointment and met the two guys who worked on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 12:15 PM   #25
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:

I spoke with the shop owner this morning. He’s been defensive. He said, “I’ve done thousands of cars since 1980’s and have never seen that happen…just be patient man, the water needs time to dry out..”
The smell of panic. That's a $3,000+ door panel.
Appreciate 6
forcefed2602.50
Technic2312.00
FISH225416.50
M3X_TB2284.00
smithf802813.00
      04-20-2023, 01:11 PM   #26
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
The smell of panic. That's a $3,000+ door panel.
Indeed.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 04:37 PM   #27
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

0:34s - :60 - I hope this is not what it is for your sake

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 05:38 PM   #28
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroricardo View Post
0:34s - :60 - I hope this is not what it is for your sake

I hope it isn’t but I have a feeling it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 05:40 PM   #29
Predatar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82X

There was another thread here where a tiny shop really wrecked another guy’s G8X too. The pried the door panels from the doors and upon reassembly, it was warped where they used the tools and the edge trim was just destroyed.

The shop agreeed to fix it, and that shop had insurance for these sorts of situations.

Even if your door isn’t damaged, it’s poor works ma shop to leave the door that stained and dirty.

Hold your ground and make him pay if it doesn’t improve in another week.

EDIT: I know most people have zero issues, but this one reason I refuse to get tint work done.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 03:06 AM   #30
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Hey all,

I got my windows tint two days ago at a local shop where I’ve taken multiple vehicles to in the past.

Immediately after picking up my G80 I noticed what looks like swelling of the leather on the doors. It’s most noticeable on the front passenger’s door, but all four doors have it to a certain extent.

I pointed it out to the shop owner immediately after and he said he had never heard of leather “swelling” and it appears to be soap stains. I’m not so sure I believe him. The ridges have a notable raise when you run your finger over them. He said give it a few days and was fairly defensive. I told him that was fine, but wanted to make him aware that day in case it did become an issue down the line.

I read somewhere on the forums where something similar happened to another member and the leather eventually went back to normal.

Do y’all think it’ll be fine within the week or is there permanent damage?
Did this issue resolve on its own? If so, how long did it take?
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 1
GTS Daddy374.00
      04-23-2023, 08:14 AM   #31
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post
Did this issue resolve on its own? If so, how long did it take?
Some of the swelling is down, but it’s still noticeable. I stopped by the dealership to have them give their thoughts. They said it should dry out after a couple weeks. The service advisor said something similar happened to his X5. His windows were cracked and it rained. He said there were raised spots on the black leather seats but that it resolved itself over time.

On the other hand, I spoke to an auto detailer and sent photos, he said it looks like permanate discoloration from the soap.

It’s been six days or so. I’m going to give it another week to see what happens.
Appreciate 2
DO4441410.50
      04-23-2023, 08:18 AM   #32
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Some of the swelling is down, but it’s still noticeable. I stopped by the dealership to have them give their thoughts. They said it should dry out after a couple weeks. The service advisor said something similar happened to his X5. His windows were cracked and it rained. He said there were raised spots on the black leather seats but that it resolved itself over time.

On the other hand, I spoke to an auto detailer and sent photos, he said it looks like permanate discoloration from the soap.

It’s been six days or so. I’m going to give it another week to see what happens.

I think the location of it fits the picture that they somehow had the windows rolled down and maybe it rained or they washed ur car with the windows down for water to get in. If its warm outside, I would leave the windows cracked open and leave it outside to see if it will dry faster. Would avoid any cleaners or moisturizers as you want the moisture to be removed and not added on to it. Good lucj
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:27 AM   #33
authentic-haggis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I don't know if the OP's window tint guy was responsible or not... I wasn't there...

if the problem was caused by water getting on the leather during the installation of the window ting, the shop should absolutely pay for it, unless they can produce evidence that they protected the area with plastic or whatever.

having said that... if it was indeed caused by something as simple as water being sprayed on during window tint installation, what happens if the door was opened in the rain for regular driving? I have always assumed that the door panels are 99% waterproof because car manufactures obviously expect people to get in and out of their cars in the rain, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 04:50 PM   #34
GTS Daddy
#Driver
Rep
Drives: '23 G80x

I'd wipe with some leather cleaner (sprayed on the cloth) then condition it afterwards. Leather is made to get patina'd. I'm fairly certain after a few weeks, it will blend into the background.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 11:05 AM   #35
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

I always take video and photos now before jobs like this.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      04-24-2023, 12:11 PM   #36
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
That’s what I thought compared to just a stain. You can feel the raised portion when you run your finger over it.
That’s not good at all imo.
I’d be bringing it to bmw to document and letting the shop know right away that you have an issue. Do not wait, as they’ll say it’s not their fault.

Gotta check your car when you get it and immediately let them know if anything is out of whack.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 12:18 PM   #37
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
An update — The areas are still noticeable. However, it does seem the areas aren’t raised as much when running finger over the area. Hopefully over the next week the water will dry and the areas won’t be stained.

I used Colourlock cleanser on it yesterday and it didn’t help at all. I don’t think it’s a soap stain. If it is, then I don’t think it’s coming off.

Dude, you gotta document, document, document and do not wait another week. Waiting is what’s going to kill you here.

Never wait imo.
Companies use that against you.
Just bring it into bmw and get their opinion and if they say it’s water damage, then you have to formally request the shop fix it. You should not feel bad at all, or be waiting. They damaged your car. What a dick move by this shop owner putting the blame on you!

Who cares if they can’t find responsible people?

Is that your fault?
Nope, it isn’t.
And that guy is an asshole telling you to wait.

You paid them what they asked and they damaged your car. Time for them to pay up and make it right.

If this guy has done thousands of cars and he’s never seen that happen… then how the fuck does he know yet another week is going to make the wet and damaged leather they fucked up, magically go back to normal?

It won’t.
That shit is already dry.
They screwed up and are trying to shift the blame to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 12:44 PM   #38
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic-haggis View Post
I don't know if the OP's window tint guy was responsible or not... I wasn't there...

if the problem was caused by water getting on the leather during the installation of the window ting, the shop should absolutely pay for it, unless they can produce evidence that they protected the area with plastic or whatever.

having said that... if it was indeed caused by something as simple as water being sprayed on during window tint installation, what happens if the door was opened in the rain for regular driving? I have always assumed that the door panels are 99% waterproof because car manufactures obviously expect people to get in and out of their cars in the rain, right?
Interior car door panels are not waterproof.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 12:47 PM   #39
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Dude, you gotta document, document, document and do not wait another week. Waiting is what’s going to kill you here.

Never wait imo.
Companies use that against you.
Just bring it into bmw and get their opinion and if they say it’s water damage, then you have to formally request the shop fix it. You should not feel bad at all, or be waiting. They damaged your car. What a dick move by this shop owner putting the blame on you!

Who cares if they can’t find responsible people?

Is that your fault?
Nope, it isn’t.
And that guy is an asshole telling you to wait.

You paid them what they asked and they damaged your car. Time for them to pay up and make it right.

If this guy has done thousands of cars and he’s never seen that happen… then how the fuck does he know yet another week is going to make the wet and damaged leather they fucked up, magically go back to normal?

It won’t.
That shit is already dry.
They screwed up and are trying to shift the blame to you.
This.

They are telling you to wait because they want you to get used to it and go away. Its not going to "fix itself", this isn't some self healing leather that will magically repair itself if you wait long enough. Water damage is water damage. This is a pretty expensive fuck up and I for one and tired of shops not giving a crap about other peoples property. Take the extra 30 seconds and put a plastic sheet over the door panel if you're going to be dumping a bucket of water on the window to do a tint job. Nobody takes pride in anything anymore.
Appreciate 3
DO4441410.50
Juanero222.50
Nate.G82522.50
      04-24-2023, 12:54 PM   #40
VioletBlue_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
My tint installer takes the door cards off completely to aid with install and prevent this. It didn't add a lot of time to the job and gave us both peace of mind. I was able to sit in the shop and watch him work. Definitely a plus in my book.

Good luck getting this sorted.
DO4441410.50
      04-24-2023, 02:01 PM   #41
authentic-haggis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Interior car door panels are not waterproof.
how will I open the car doors when it's raining?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 02:25 PM   #42
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic-haggis View Post
how will I open the car doors when it's raining?
I feel like you're trolling me here but there is a difference between something being "splash" proof from a few rain drops and being "waterproof". I mean if you want to soak your door panel in a bathtub go for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 02:28 PM   #43
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I would not put anything else on it at all. Let it DRY. Then deal with the tint shop. The more you mess with it, the more excuses they will have to blame you.
      04-24-2023, 03:20 PM   #44
authentic-haggis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I feel like you're trolling me here but there is a difference between something being "splash" proof from a few rain drops and being "waterproof". I mean if you want to soak your door panel in a bathtub go for it.
my area sees quite a bit of rain and hurricanes. none of the door panels in my cars/SUVs have ever had any water damage as far as I could tell. I've pulled off more than a few of them because I like to replace factory speakers. Although... on a Lexus GS, I did notice the door speaker terminals all rusted after just 1 year, plus the window switches went bad and I found bad corrosion on the contacts. (not sure if it was just humid air or rain water) The dealer refused to replace them under warranty... claim that I probably left the door open during the rain. I ended up cutting off the rusted speaker terminals and soldered on new terminals.
Appreciate 0