BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-16-2024, 08:37 PM   #23
utsteve98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2025 G82

Prior owner of an F82 and MB E63S with CCBs. They definitely looked great and had so little brake dust. Also had an F90 with steel.

Performance-wise I didn’t really notice much of a difference in street driving. While maybe it’s true that there is more unsprung weight from the rotors, the calipers seem to be bigger than the steel so that kinda eats away at the rotor advantage. And let’s be real, is anyone really gonna notice the difference in performance handling from less unsprung weight?

I just ordered a ‘25 G82 with the steel on FBWM with the Fiona interior. Maybe it sounds lame but one reason I went steel was to get the red calipers to match the red interior. And for me, the gold calipers don’t go well with FBWM compared to other exterior colors.

So I’m in the camp that the CCBs are great but aren’t a must.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS4117.00
      05-16-2024, 11:48 PM   #24
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsteve98 View Post
Prior owner of an F82 and MB E63S with CCBs. They definitely looked great and had so little brake dust. Also had an F90 with steel.

Performance-wise I didn’t really notice much of a difference in street driving. While maybe it’s true that there is more unsprung weight from the rotors, the calipers seem to be bigger than the steel so that kinda eats away at the rotor advantage. And let’s be real, is anyone really gonna notice the difference in performance handling from less unsprung weight?

I just ordered a ‘25 G82 with the steel on FBWM with the Fiona interior. Maybe it sounds lame but one reason I went steel was to get the red calipers to match the red interior. And for me, the gold calipers don’t go well with FBWM compared to other exterior colors.

So I’m in the camp that the CCBs are great but aren’t a must.
That was the second question in my OP. I agree with you — Personally I like Fiona with Red Brakes & Fjord with Blue Brakes.

I thought Tanz + CCB + Fjord worked well, maybe Brooklyn as well, or a Frozen color with Fjord.

Specced CCB’s and actually changed from Fiona to Black buckets. I may do custom headrests outlined with a touch of gold alcantara to spice it up a bit.
Appreciate 1
utsteve98184.50
      05-17-2024, 01:29 AM   #25
beaver9ght
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
This pain is easily solved with purchase of iSweep pads for $600
Show me the proof these low dust pads achieve oem level performance under all circumstances or stop advertising it
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2024, 07:37 AM   #26
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver9ght View Post
Show me the proof these low dust pads achieve oem level performance under all circumstances or stop advertising it
I've had iSweep IS2000's on my car for about 1k miles. Better bite, probably a 75% reduction in brake dust (and it's not that terrible rust color), and absolutely zero squeal.

Seriously, the best mod you can do for the money if you have steelies.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2024, 08:53 AM   #27
Berzerker
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Plenty of users here that have first-hand experience. The iSweep 2000s produce much less dust and still perform as good or slightly better than OEM.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2024, 10:09 AM   #28
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp/24 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_davis View Post
I love the CCBs, mainly for the aesthetic. My only complaint is the first time you go to the pedal in the wet or after washing the car can be a little sketchy the if you're not prepared for it.
This is the biggest downside of CCB’s and why I passed on a G80 that my buddy had in stock equipped with the CCB’s and ordered my car without.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:18 AM   #29
Trevorr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 GT500 CFTP

I have CCB, only optioned them because I hate brake dust and don't want early onset arthritis in my fingers from cleaning wheels. They do squeal occasionally but squealing never bothered me even with my current and past performance cars that had stock Brembo's.

I'm registered for 3 track events (6 days' worth since each event is 2 days) this year with my g80. So, I'll see how they hold up.

But other than that, stock steelies with ceramic brake pads are the way to go if you don't track and want less brake dust/noise.

Last edited by Trevorr; 05-17-2024 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:33 AM   #30
chris3g
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

I was recently at the bmw performance center in SC and was a little surprised to find that every single m3 , m4 and m5 that is used for M driving school and other programs were equipped with the CCBs. Those cars get absolutely absused all day every day, and the instructors mentioned that they still get quite a long life out of each set of rotors.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2024, 10:41 AM   #31
PVC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
I was recently at the bmw performance center in SC and was a little surprised to find that every single m3 , m4 and m5 that is used for M driving school and other programs were equipped with the CCBs. Those cars get absolutely absused all day every day, and the instructors mentioned that they still get quite a long life out of each set of rotors.
Why would you be surprised? Those cars are typically fully loaded. And yes, they do brake tests in those all day everyday.
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:50 AM   #32
PVC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorr View Post
I have CCB, only optioned them because I hate brake dust and don't want early onset arthritis in my fingers from cleaning wheels. They do squeal occasionally but squealing never bothered me even with my current and past performance cars that had stock Brembo's.

I'm registered for 3 track sessions (6 days' worth since each session is 2 days) this year with my g80. So, I'll see how they hold up.

But other than that, stock steelies with ceramic brake pads are the way to go if you don't track and want less brake dust/noise.
See, I keep hearing conflicting information about this. Most people say if you wanna track your car, go with steel brakes.

1) Steel brakes are much cheaper, and you can have two sets of pads. Street vs track.
2) CCBs are very expensive, but they're even more expensive to maintain. The full replacement set is ~$18k and if they get rock chips, you're paying a few thousand bucks just to repair one rotor.

Plus, aren't the CCBs worse than steel brakes when it comes to squeaking?

They look great, no dust, and weight less, but I don't think they have a serious advantage in performance or make sense financially.
2015 335i
Appreciate 1
Trevorr167.50
      05-17-2024, 11:20 AM   #33
beaver9ght
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Plenty of users here that have first-hand experience. The iSweep 2000s produce much less dust and still perform as good or slightly better than OEM.
Get one set of oem along with these aftermarket pads and send it to lab like YouTuber Engineer Explained did with nrs brake to show the results. That’s a ad but with solid evidence instead of pure user feedback.
On the other hand, there’s a few user feedback confirmed isweep can’t last autocross or track events where oem pads have no problems.
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=181
An extremely quick wear under this circumstance indicates the pad can’t handle high heat repeated stops like oem did.
Neither facotory steel or CCB will have that much issue when driving your M like a M. With CCB, one can worry no dust and still do occasional casual track without safety concern. And I repeat the suggestion of picking CCB is based on the condition money is no issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 11:27 AM   #34
beaver9ght
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
According to kgelfen360, these people are clown. let him have one equiped with isweep and steelie to do his session when he arrived.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 11:31 AM   #35
Trevorr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 GT500 CFTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
See, I keep hearing conflicting information about this. Most people say if you wanna track your car, go with steel brakes.

1) Steel brakes are much cheaper, and you can have two sets of pads. Street vs track.
2) CCBs are very expensive, but they're even more expensive to maintain. The full replacement set is ~$18k and if they get rock chips, you're paying a few thousand bucks just to repair one rotor.

Plus, aren't the CCBs worse than steel brakes when it comes to squeaking?

They look great, no dust, and weight less, but I don't think they have a serious advantage in performance or make sense financially.
They don't make sense at all for track because of what you said. I'm just a dumb ass and just want to see how the G80 performs this year since I just got it, not going to track after this year. They squeal worse but maybe that's just my car.

I have another car that I do the swap like you say. It sees 3-4 events, which is 2 track days each event and like 1000 miles per year on track. Can't imagine how often I'd replace CCB. I rarely see people with CCB when I go because they don't really provide any tangible advantage other than virtually no brake fade, but you can do cheap mods that really advance cooling such as air deflector plates to cool the brakes to have virtually no brake fade.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 11:52 AM   #36
StreetLethal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 6MT

All brake pads are a compromise. The rotor's job is to dissipate heat, ceramic does better with this than steel. Pads create the friction, and you have to pick your balance of bite, fade, noise and wear. I'll take my quiet iSweep 2000s over the stock pads any day. Takes the squeal out of daily driving, and so far they've held up well on my backroad blasts with repeated high speed stops. Haven't tracked, so can't speak to that. But I find it unacceptable to be squealing to a stop in a $90K car, despite the stock pads supposedly making it track-worthy. No one is a clown, you both just have different needs/wants from your pads. I do find it interesting that the M Performance cars are fitted with CCBs, kinda upends the rumor that CCBs aren't as favorable for the track...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 11:55 AM   #37
DTMfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLethal View Post
All brake pads are a compromise. The rotor's job is to dissipate heat, ceramic does better with this than steel. Pads create the friction, and you have to pick your balance of bite, fade, noise and wear. I'll take my quiet iSweep 2000s over the stock pads any day. Takes the squeal out of daily driving, and so far they've held up well on my backroad blasts with repeated high speed stops. Haven't tracked, so can't speak to that. But I find it unacceptable to be squealing to a stop in a $90K car, despite the stock pads supposedly making it track-worthy. No one is a clown, you both just have different needs/wants from your pads. I do find it interesting that the M Performance cars are fitted with CCBs, kinda upends the rumor that CCBs aren't as favorable for the track...

How is the initial bite on the 2000s? My main motivation is reduced brake dust, but I don't want to lose factory feel/performance either. I've read some hit or miss reviews about 1500/2000s. I hear they are great for reducing dust.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 12:39 PM   #38
SwankPeRFection
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLethal View Post
Running 2000 myself, I can tell you they’re just as good, if not better than stock pads in the same conditions as you describe. If you’re going to be in the habit of beating the shit of them on extremely high speed tracks, then you’ll simply need to step up to 3000 ones. For extreme street with some auto cross, 2000’s and/or 2500’s have been find for me. They resist heat quite well compared to some OEM pads that were actually worse. I think the guy who ate through his 2000’s was doing extreme track driving and just ate through them thinking they’re acceptable for that. The 2000 composition isn’t as it’s still a ceramic mix, but don’t misunderstand… they aren’t even close to the shit Akebono pads are… even the 1500’s are better than those and there’s plenty of cars running OEM Akebonos. Just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 12:42 PM   #39
SwankPeRFection
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMfan View Post
How is the initial bite on the 2000s? My main motivation is reduced brake dust, but I don't want to lose factory feel/performance either. I've read some hit or miss reviews about 1500/2000s. I hear they are great for reducing dust.
Just as bitey in my opinion. If you want the bite but a larger progressive range of slight braking to extreme pressure clamp braking which is easier to modulate, then 2000’s should be your choice.
Appreciate 1
DTMfan479.00
      05-17-2024, 12:50 PM   #40
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
According to kgelfen360, these people are clown. let him have one equiped with isweep and steelie to do his session when he arrived.
You appear to have below average reading and comprehension.
Nobody comparing CCB to anything else. But as far as Non CCB pads iSweeps are very good and produce less dust.
You can foam at the mouth all you want but has been tested by lots of people on this forum.
So yes you are a clown. Nobody else. Just you.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 01:50 PM   #41
beaver9ght
Private
Rep

Quote:
You appear to have below average reading and comprehension.
Nobody comparing CCB to anything else. But as far as Non CCB pads iSweeps are very good and produce less dust.
You can foam at the mouth all you want but has been tested by lots of people on this forum.
So yes you are a clown. Nobody else. Just you.
All I see is a clown coming to a factory option discussion thread to share his uninvited opinion. Straight calling others clown without answering questions shows how vulnerable you are.

Isweep is good pads but can never be compared to factory full CCB, which is what we are discussing here. And again, I urge you get Corolla to suits you use case better.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 02:18 PM   #42
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
All I see is a clown coming to a factory option discussion thread to share his uninvited opinion. Straight calling others clown without answering questions shows how vulnerable you are.

Isweep is good pads but can never be compared to factory full CCB, which is what we are discussing here. And again, I urge you get Corolla to suits you use case better.
Again your comprehension is low. Nobody compared them to CCB.
My comment was and is regarding stock steel pads and dust.
Appreciate 1
DTMfan479.00
      05-17-2024, 02:32 PM   #43
beaver9ght
Private
Rep

Quote:
Again your comprehension is low. Nobody compared them to CCB.
My comment was and is regarding stock steel pads and dust.
Why you reply this thread then? It seems to me you have difficulty remembering what you typed here and repeatedly insulting people with the same feedback received from your own physician.
We already got that you love your isweep. Now move on and let us hear more ccb owner’s opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 02:35 PM   #44
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
If you drive spiritedly and plan to keep your car past the 50k mile mark, the CCBs will end up paying for themselves. For the people that drive rather aggressively, on the norm, will find out that you need to replace the OEM pads in 12k to 15k miles. If and thats an "If" (I know you can do them, yourself) have zero know how or capability on changing BMW pads, and you go the dealer route, you're going to need 3-4 sets of rear pads, and possibly a set of rotors, and by that time, your front pads, and possibly rotors are going to need to be replaced, by the time you get to 60k. All the while the CCBs, have barely even started to wear. The benefit of getting them up front, is, not having to deal with dusting, and them not wearing out, unless you track heavily. And its not even the fact that the CCBs rotors wear out, they get heavily oxidized from the excessive heat cycling. I would imagine you could double or even triple the life of CCBs with some good quality brake ducts.

My service writer has a 2016 F82 with CCBs, with 115k miles on his car, and its seen 1-2 track days a year, and the factory installed pads are at 8mm, 11mm is new.

Appreciate 2